Texas World Speedway

KahneFan

When looking on the Lonestar Legacy's website, I came across the Texas World Speedway. What is this track? I've never heard of it and it seems like a pretty hard one to miss. Is it only a practice track?

Also, if you were at THR last weekend, you saw a demo from the guys at Iron Rock. It took me a little looking (because I couldn't remember the name), but Here's a little more information if you're interested. Those cars looked pretty cool!

The track is pretty much used exclusively for road racing these days, but there is a lot of history there. Very nice facility. If Waco Racer sees this post, he can tell you more.

The legacy series will be there later this season. Cool opportunity for them.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this originally built as the sister track to Taladega? I think it was built about the same time. Problem was, at the time it was built, it was too far from ANY large metropolitan area, and they never could get the crowds to come there that they had hoped for.

Man, those guys from Iron Rock in their carts really impressed me. Really enjoyed watching them. What, were they running around 50 mph or so, and most of the time you could have thrown a blanket over the whole lot of them. Saw a lot of good give and take among them. Real masters of car control they were. Ran the whole way inches from each other, with nary a bobble!

Texas World Speedway

TWS was built in 1968 by the same firm who constructed MIS. It was first called Texas International Speedway. It was later renamed Texas World Speedway by a suggestion from Bill France Sr. during an ownership change.

Michael - the reason TWS dropped a sanction agreement with Daytona was because NASCAR wanted the track repaved (at a cost of more than a 1/2 million dollars). Before track owner Dick Conole would agree to repave it, he wanted a letter of intent from NASCAR guaranteeing continuation of at least a race a year. NASCAR said "no, we don't do it that way. You repave, then we'll talk race dates". Conole may have been the only super speedway to refuse a NASCAR Cup race. Many NASCAR, USAC Indy car and Texas Race of Champions races were run at TWS. The grandstands and infield easily held all spectators who wished to come. More seating would have been added if the crowd had ever justified the investment.

As 97 Car says, it is almost the same as Michigan. It is 22 degrees in turns 1,2,3,4 and 18 degrees on the s/f line.

In summary - soft interest by Texas auto racing fans and a dictatorial NASCAR are the reasons TWS became a road race rental facility.

I know all this TWS information because I lived every minute of it.

It is the same at just about all other shut down Texas tracks or closed touring series. Not supporting the track or the series will result in a track closure or a ceased series.

Food for thought my friends !

Neil Upchurch

Former TWS PR Dept and PA Announcer

Race Director - Texas Race of Champions

BTW - there is a lot of interesting information posted in the Texas Racing History forum under "Texas Race of Champions".

Edited by NeilTPS

Josh, The race wasn't shifter carts but 2 came out afterwards. One guy in a shifter cart had been clocked in the 15.30's during a previous practice at THR !

Those 2 shifter karts were flying! The best lap time I got on the faster one was 16.20. I'm sure he could have trimmed that down if he took a few more laps.

The Rock Karts were cool too. The were turning laps in the high 20s. The mini cups have them beat. Wouldn't it be cool to have 15-20 mini cups drafting around the track?

Guest The_Greek
Texas World Speedway

Michael - the reason TWS dropped a sanction agreement with Daytona was because NASCAR wanted the track repaved (at a cost of more than a 1/2 million dollars). Before track owner Dick Conole would agree to repave it, he wanted a letter of intent from NASCAR guaranteeing continuation of at least a race a year. NASCAR said "no, we don't do it that way. You repave, then we'll talk race dates". Conole may have been the only super speedway to refuse a NASCAR Cup race.

probably the biggest mistake Dick Conole ever made was not re-paving the track. im sure if he had TWS would be a staple on the Nascar series schedule.

in todays world tracks are being built without the assurance they will get a date.

I remember going to a Can Am race at TWS when it first opened, I may be mistakened but I believe it was the first race ever held there.Remember watching the 2 orange cars #s 4 & 5 of team McClaren. Iknow it was in the middle of nowhere and the only businesses anywhere close to the track was some hot tub rooms to rent. Long long time ago huh!

LAC

i had 2 shifter karts friday nite at the dragstrip make about 8 passes each and both were hitting the traps at 94 to 97 mph in the 1/4 mile-by the sound of their motors they were running out of gear and rpm-i pretty sure they will be back with different gears and go a little faster-but from the start to about the 1/8 mile mark they were rockets,after that was when they started to run out of gear

Legacy: You are partly correct.

The first race ever held at the brand new Texas International Speedway in College Station was on November 9, 1969. It was a Can Am event. In those days, the Can Am Series was the top class in USA road racing. CanAm rules were virtually unlimited. The cars were extremely fast, so fast they were not allowed in the Le Mans 24 hour race.

For the TIS road race, Sterling Moss was the Grand Marshall. The event was sponsored by Johnson's Car Wax. About 30 cars started.

Big name drivers I recall competing in the race were: Jim Hall of Midland in his Chaparral, Jack Brabham and Mario Andretti in 427 Fords, Bruce McClaren Dennis Hulme and Peter Revson in McClaren Chevrolet 427 and a Ferrari V-12 driven by Chris Amon. There were Porsches, but I don't recall the drivers.

The second race at Texas International Speedway was a NASCAR Cup race called the Texas 500. It was held on December 7, 1969.

A few years later, the track was re-named Texas World Speedway

Neil Upchurch

TIS Press Box Announcer - 1969

Edited by NeilTPS

Neil,

Do you pull all this stuff out from memory or do you have it all written down? j/k

I enjoy reading all that racing stuff like that, keep up the posting.

Have you ever thought about a RACING HISTORY CHANNEL on cable, maybe Nick can be your co host.............who knows?

Thanks.

Neil you could write a book. I have enjoyed all your posts on this thread and the one on Race of Champions. You are a super guy. still working on those pics for you. Also didn't they have 18 wheeler races there also.

Don - Thanks for the positive comments. I remember a lot of the history because I lived it. I will admit that I checked on the Officials Credential I wore for those first two races to make sure of the exact dates which were printed on the pin on pass.

rwracingmom - Thanks again to you. I am glad you have enjoyed the posts. Yes, there were two 18 wheeler races at TWS. The starters stand had to be raised so the trucks would clear. What pictures are you referring to?

I am working on a TIDA Late Model Series Champions list. Should be posted soon.

Neil Upchurch

While we are on the subject of TWS..

Aug 20th & 21st the Allison Legacys will be having fun on the 2.9 road course.

Any TPS or Texas Thunder cars/drivers are welcome to join us for some fun turning left & right.

Please contact Mel for more details

Direct-Flo - Thanks for the invite to run with you guys. I for one, would love to. When Mel first put the post up, I was looking into how to make it happen for my team.

Unfortunately, the TPS race scheduled for August 13th at CCMS was canceled. However, the good folks at SAS worked with Neil to get us an additional race there to make up for the one that was lost at CCMS. Well, the make up date is the 20th, so as luck would have it, the Hart Racing #19 team will not be able to make it this time.

Good luck to you and all that do make it up there. If all goes well for you, and you schedule future visits there, please keep us in mind... Thanks in advance!!

Lloyd

TPS #19

To any race fans that are not able to make up to watch the road race, come on down to San Antonio Speedway and catch all of the action there. TPS should be putting on one heck of a show. Our visit there earlier this year had the closest finish in Texas ProSedan history!! :o:D

darn luck!!! J/K

One of these days we will all be racing together and having fun.

The other drivers that I had talked to where looking forward to some road racing fun. It would have made for a great fun race with the Allisons, TPS, and Texas Thunders racing side by side at TWS. (40+ cars-WOW).

I am sure we will be up at TWS again, and ya'll will be welcome.