TEXAS PRO 4

top dog

I know what you mean about the rules. Rules are always going to have gray areas though. I just don't agree (just my personal opinion) with implementing a rule change that takes the technology or R&D a step back. If you implement a rule to counter another rule or offset it, then maybe enough research wasn't done before the original rule was implemented? If you make a series like that RWD (domestic), then your rules "should" be much easier to manage. I am not saying it will be a cake walk, but...

Randy always said when he ran TPS that Bill LaBarge's (BMW) suspension was far more superior than what he was running. Balancing apples and oranges is never gonna be easy and something is always going to be wrong with something (in the drivers/owners eyes) when they feel like they are at a disadvantage. My hats off to everyone that has a made TPS or any series successful.

Tim

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: If there are so many problems with making the 4 cylinder cars equal then why do people run them? I know for a fact that you can run a competitive street stock for cheaper than you can run a mustang with all the esslinger stuff. Ask EJ.

Jason,

You missed the comparison - there is more similarity within series between the USRA SLM and TPS (or Pro-4) than a typical hobby stock class. A typical hobby stock will almost always follow a very predictable formula - a 15-25 year old GM product and a 350 cheverolet motor with a decent set of iron heads. The successful teams will have some gray area magic done to optimize the suspension and enough initial investment in time and quality to make a full season without blowing something up. There is very little room for "out of the box" thinking or development.

The Pro-4 and TPS both offer much more opportunities for engineering. Suspension rules are more open, engine rules are more open, etc.

Just out of curiousity, who are you Top Dog? Lalo, Jesse?

I would come and visit you in Kyle when you race next, but I can't justify spending $1500.00 on a round trip ticket from Germany to U.S to do that. I live in Germany...

I don't really know what my Dad's intentions are at the moment. I know he is either going to buy a new motor, or rebuild it. You guys should probably discuss that with him. "Rally the troops", as we like to say.

Tim

i say give all the fwd and rwd one wieght standard and put restrictor plates on all motors including injector cars and no twin cam heads. make the horse power as equal as possible and let every one work with the suspension they have on there cars to win races...... :ph34r: setup setup setup thats what its all about :ph34r:

I get this immage of Nick as Zeuse,sitting on a cloud throwing lightening bolts at sentences he feels are evil.LOL.Trying to keep Aries,god of war,in check.The thing here is to remember that racing is fueled by passion.Without it,we might as well be playing golf and racing the carts.The bickering is what has made mini stock racing so self destructive for as long as I can remember.As for Tim,Randy and Mr Lee,you have as beautiful a car as anyone I have seen and I know you guys know how to make it fast.For Lalo,I understand how you feel about a series that you believe is more fair without sanctions imposed to give you a disavantage.I know you want to go as fast as possible.The problem is,where you live does no afford many people to share your visions so the number of participants is very small.In California,you will find many people who could have similar cars and build a successful series.Very few mini racers here can even afford a head.I personally think all race cars are good and understand the great pride that goes with them.This pride goes for every car owner,driver and sponsor regardless of the investment.I dont think we should try to degrade anyones efforts.They are all good.The real problem is they have no place to stand alone here in south Texas.With the cost of first class 4 cyl cars,it makes more since to spend it on a modified or super street where there is already a good purse and car count.This is why Thunder cars are having success right now,there is a place for everyone.The inexperienced,the poorly funded,the better funded,the experienced driver,the serious racer and the casual racer.There is a decient purse and plenty of cars.Very few teck rules so a builder can use skill rather than money to find speed.I would like for the Lees,the Lalos,and all the other Pro 4 guys to look at Thunder car racing as at least something to keep active with and for R @ D.Its here now.And theres no restrictors or %s to hold you back.If I was a Ford man I would have a 2000# car with a 2500cc engine from a Ranger and tune the chassis for max handeling.Maybe even fuel injected.In the meantime,nobody is better than anybody else in racing,we are created equal under the green flag.I respect you all. How about an open comp race in November if we can talk Owen into it ? A run what you brung race,no rules?I would go. Thumper :)

you know trimreaper has the right idea if you make all cars weigh the same . it would be a good race we did that for a awhile at cc and it was close racing . but some of the people here are getting carried away with the bashing . thats why i havent been posting as much lattely . g b didnt you lap the whole field the other day oh well just my two cents

you know trimreaper has the right idea if you make all cars weigh the same . it would be a good race we did that for a awhile at cc and it was close racing . but some of the people here are getting carried away with the bashing . thats why i havent been posting as much lattely . g b didnt you lap the whole field the other day oh well just my two cents

I think cars should carry weight according to their displacement, just like in TPS.

If everybody has to weigh the same regardless of engine size, then the big engine wins.

That's fine as long as you have a Ford. But what about the VWs?

Nick Holt

To Readers and Posters in this forum:

Most of the preceding posts about TPS restrictions appear to indicate a lack of up-to-date knowledge concerning recent TPS Rules Changes and R&D Notices. All relax TPS rules. It is the manner in which TPS has attempted to maintain an even playing field between the widely different makes and models which compete in the Texas Pro Sedans series.

Please consider all of these changes in deciding whether to participate in our 30th Anniversary event at the 9th Annual Thunder Hill Raceway "Stock Car Spectacular" on October 22. Another item to consider is that the purse will likely exceed $4,000 and pay the winner between $500 and $600, guaranteed.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

210/655-3222

R&D # 7 for the remainder of the 2005 season R&D #7 is in effect at the next race at Thunder Hill Raceway and until further notice. This R&D #7 will remove the 40mm restrictor plate from SVO Esslinger Head equipped cars & enlarge the 38mm restrictor plate to 40mm on ARCA Esslinger head equipped cars effective at the September 10th race and until further notice in an attempt to find equity TPS at THR.

R&D # 8 for the remainder of the 2005 season. Air cooled VW's may also use the EMPI 44HPMX carburetor. Reason for this addition, Weber no longer produces the 44 IDF. The EMPI 44 HPMX replacement is said to be identical to the Weber 44 IDF.

R&D # 3 project is effective at the July 30 race and until further notice.

R&D Notice: Rear wheel drive Fords & Chevrolets equipped with an OEM head may deduct from the TPS 2005 rules weight formula as follows:

- 250 lbs if using an OEM frame - examples:

if weight was 2,443 lbs – R&D will allow 2,193 lbs

if weight was 2,121 lbs – R&D will allow 1,871 lbs

- 100 lbs if using a fabricated frame - examples:

if weight was 2,233 lbs – R&D will allow 2,133 lbs

if weight was 2,572 lbs – R&D will allow 2,472 lbs

R & D # 8: One fabricated 45” x 5” rear spoiler is optionally allowed on all TPS cars.

I get this immage of Nick as Zeuse,sitting on a cloud throwing lightening bolts at sentences he feels are evil.LOL.Trying to keep Aries,god of war,in check.

G.B.

Would you consider writing my new resume? My old resume conjures up an image of a statistician sitting in a cubicle in front of a computer somewhere.

I like your image a lot better.

Nick

In my post earlier today I said,

"Another item to consider is that the purse will likely exceed $4,000 and pay the winner between $500 and $600, guaranteed".

Please change that to:

Another item to consider is that the purse will exceed $4,000 and pay the winner $600, guaranteed.

Note: Larsen Air Cooled Racing Engines just posted an additional $100 and specified "to the winner". That makes first place worth $600.

The 30 lap event is also a Qualifying Time Trial race. Point standings won't matter (unless time trials are not held or not completed). Fast cars will start at the front. Also, cars don't have to use 13" Hoosiers unless they want to. Otherwise, they may use the DOT tire they have been using at CCMS.

If you need more entry information, call'

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

210/655-3222

neil i had heard of some of the R & D and i hope it works out for you and the rear wheel drives

steven

p.s nick we had put a min weight if im remembering right it was 2150 (gb am i thinking right ) i think he would remember cause he was gripping about his car weighing so much but it was close racing i never liked seeing 1 car blow everyone away i liked running door knob to door knob

Archived