TEXAS PRO 4

top dog

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds me of the late 50's when Chevy started racing against the flathead Fords and beating them.Try as they may,eventually the Chevys took over the top spot from the flathead even with weight penalitys,carb restrictions,etc.This new class sounds like an antique racer class if you consider the last Mustang with a 4 cyl was in 1993.I have seen this tried many times and has not been successful yet.Any organization that starts out with who cant parcipate is predijuce and that just will not work.I wish you guys all the luck and I hope you succede.Especially when you start looking for prize money and tracks to race at.I have worked with many tracks,clubs,and seris directors to promote racing 4 cyl cars and so has Neil and thats probably why he has not said anything on here,he is too much of a professional.I personally would not have anything to do with a hate groupe,Ive seen enough witch hunts to last a lifetime and I am very opinionated.The only way to have success is to have a place for everybody.Like Texas Thunder Cars. G.B.Carter TTC 77

Ok lets here it what is the purse,what are the rules besides rear wheel drive,can I run multi-carbs ,what about tires and wheels,weight besides left %,Body rules,engine setback,engine size,dry sump,quick change,spoilers,wings,frame rules,open wheel,need to fill in more blanks if this is to work.I know and have available several options that could be done if I want to.

for what i hear its a 4cylinder rwd race only .motor in front --drive axle in back if you run a 2.3 cast iron head the weight is 2200 lbs if running the eslinger head its 2500 lbs , no restrictor plate 58% left side weight 2000 's can run 2100lbs single carb 500 cfm or lower

if u have any more questions contact top dog or me :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

This reminds me of the old Indy cars called the Roadsters. They had a laid over Offy 4 cylinder up front and rear drive. The lighter rear engined cars came to the Speeday and soon made the old roadster obsolete. Yes, the rules were changed to make the old Roadster more competitive and some drives like Jim Hurtubise stayed with the old Offy Roadster to the bitter end but alas they were just to slow to make the show. The Offy did live on for another decade with the help of the turbocharger in a rear engine chasis. You can see these old cars today in museums and every once in while the'll get one out and parade around the track at classic club meets.

Look at the hot rods the kids are driving today. Long gone are the Camaros, Mustangs and Roadrunners. Today's hot rods are the fuel injected 4 cylinders with ground effects, wings and large exhaust pipes sticking out the back. This is the future of the 4 cylinder class. If we want to keep racing and the fill the grandstands backup then we have to move forward and race the cars that people are driving. Get those kids off the street and let them race their hot rods on the track. How much longer are the fans going to come and watch old Comaros and Monte Carlos run around the track. Most the new generation of drivers think a Pinto is bean and never realized it was ever a car. What promoter can stay in businiess supporting a classic car racing series consisting of only Pintos and an older genration of Mustangs?

Racetrack14

well the mustangs are still around and the 2300's fit into all of the new mustangs the suspension hasnt changed that much once you figure the strut system out its easy and as far as parts you have two majors that offer almost anything you could want for the 2300's its eslinger engineering and racer walse they have it all and there is no really easer motor to make high perforance than the 2300 just get some flat top pistons your choice of cams and a little head work and you have a top performing car now if you have the money eslingers head is the way to go so i dont really see how you could call them obsolet there are lots of parts all over

The last production Mustang produced with a 4 cylinder was in 1993. When was the last production car produced that used a carburator? Of all the cars running at CCMS how many are still in production and very similar to those sold on the show room floor today. You will only need one hand to count the cars and have fingers left over. If we want to continue to have a place to race then we need to run current production vehicles that people can relate too. The Ford Focus is what we need to promote running at CCMS for the Ford fans. If local short track racing is going to survive then I believe the new top class will have to be a 4 cylinder class. The 4 cylinder hot rods will be the new late model series. The cars will all be fuel injected, ground effects, large diameter tires, have wings and look like the street hot rods the kids are driving today. Yes, they will be fast. There are a lot more organizations in Corpus Christi competing for the entertainment dollars today than in the past. CCMS will not be around much longer if we keep running cars that are based in the 70's and 80's. Dividing and splitting the 4 cylinder class will only hasten the end.

Racetrack14

Can the FWD cars come race...if we race in reverse??

Just wondering...

nope- that would be hard to come up with excuses for when you beat them....would it be right side % or left side%.???????

Can the FWD cars come race...if we race in reverse??

Just wondering...

nope- that would be hard to come up with excuses for when you beat them....would it be right side % or left side%.???????

Damn Crazy...you do have a point...I never thought of that!

We'll just have to change the rules to fit the FWDDIR (front wheel drives driving in reverse) class!

B)

C'mon Lalo j/k...but you gotta admit...that's funny....

Hey CRT, I am at CCMS every Saturday night the Texas Thunders run supporting the track. The only affordable modern cars produced today are the 4 cylinder production cars. My point is that if we don't stop racing the old obsolete dinosaurs then we will eventually have no place to race. Name one current American manufactured sedan that has a 4 cylinder in the front and is RWD. The only modern cars that meet your rules are the expensive imports like BMW and Mercedez. I just can't see very many tracks supporting a series that has zero growth for the future. There is a large growing pool of affordable modern 4 cylinder cars that have stock motors that produce a good HP to weight ratio and don't require expensive after market heads to be competitive. This is the future of local short track racing if it is going to survive. If however you want to run an old obsolete car and spend twice as much on an engine and be competitive then the only way to ensure that is by excluding all the affordable modern 4 cyliner cars built in the last 10 years. I don't think that is what the paying fans want for their entertainment dollar and that's the bottom line.

Racetrack14

what i have to says is that i havent spent as much money on my SS than i spent last year on my mustang it takes alot of money to go fast ... That class was made to be cheep class . but you got to spend the money to keep up ... Now i know yall are going to say get a fuelinjected car ..but some people dont now how to work on them cars ...and you got to spend good money in those cars to.. Will told me that he had to spend more money to .. to go faster .. and there will always be ESSLINGER for the FORDS..

Archived