Alamo City Motorplex/San Antonio Raceway is closing

JamesHigdon

Just saw it announced on their Facebook page; the current operators are moving on to a different track and operations there are done after today. No one is saying anything “due to legalities” but my guess would be it’s not looking great. Apparently there will be an announcement about the facility/property on February 10th. 

This announcement pretty much completes the racing void in the immediate San Antonio area. 

Before getting all misty-eyed and going off half-cocked, lets wait for details.....We all know ACM/SAR has been a lease deal since forever and it may be nothing more than this...... The fact that they are on "pause" til Feb 10th is interesting in two respects, however...... Nothing out of the ordinary to take time off for winter without racing, and the fact that there is an exact date......So, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water just yet.

1 hour ago, rebelracewriter said:

Two things stand out here....If I were tech savvy enough I'd highlight them, but alas, I'm too old for that shit.

1) Listed as "under contract"

2) Listed as "retail property"

Take it at face value.....

266667481_10165782125240635_6150217310719514896_n.thumb.jpg.bb6cd1eaea23aee164b7503372ad4243.jpg

To the best of my knowledge it’s been listed as retail since the Mianabi’s bought it as they intended retail development on it (around the track). The Mianabi’s are filling bankruptcy (that’s a verifiable fact and the info has been posted other places) and to my understanding are short selling/transferring the track…why they didn’t sell it to the people currently operating it (that apparently wanted to buy it and spent money there) is the question.

The reality is at this point it all comes down to the city’s that control the land. If they allow it to be re-developed it will; if they try to keep it a racetrack it will.

I’m wondering if the track is being taken over by the bank/investors that financed or financed other projects for the Mianabi’s as collateral; based upon the pending (February 10th) announcement and everybody not being able to comment “for legal reasons” that would be my guess.

At this point it’s another SAS story; an operator that wanted to buy the facility, that had the money to buy the facility getting it swept out from under them and that sucks. Again…it’s not a lack of interest that’s undoing this track. People wanted to buy it, where operating it and spending money on it and at the last minute had the slats knocked out from under them. 

28 minutes ago, JamesHigdon said:

At this point it’s another SAS story; an operator that wanted to buy the facility, that had the money to buy the facility getting it swept out from under them and that sucks. Again…it’s not a lack of interest that’s undoing this track. People wanted to buy it, where operating it and spending money on it and at the last minute had the slats knocked out from under them. 

Well we can look at it this way....It(SAS) was said to be a done deal right up til the time of soil sampling and we have what we have now.....A somewhat worthless piece of land decaying right under our noses. Granted ACM was fully paved in the pit area, and had oil dump barrels, BUT, the amount of residual soil contamination through the pores, cracks, holes in the asphalt, not to mention all that was swept/washed off the track surface. Then there's the fuel station itself and that immediate area. I'm trying to be positive here, there's a reason it didn't become a retail development several years ago, yes?

28 minutes ago, rebelracewriter said:

Well we can look at it this way....It(SAS) was said to be a done deal right up til the time of soil sampling and we have what we have now.....A somewhat worthless piece of land decaying right under our noses. Granted ACM was fully paved in the pit area, and had oil dump barrels, BUT, the amount of residual soil contamination through the pores, cracks, holes in the asphalt, not to mention all that was swept/washed off the track surface. Then there's the fuel station itself and that immediate area. I'm trying to be positive here, there's a reason it didn't become a retail development several years ago, yes?

All I can really say is nail on the head…Now you’re going to force me to say no comment, lol. All I can say is remember Dome Dirt? I’m 36 (I know you’ve seen me say this before) and I suspect in my lifetime SAS will never be anything other than a racetrack or a racetrack shaped hole.

This has saved more than one race track from destruction (one we’ve talked about before); unless samples have been dug around the fuel site and in the pit area no race track redevelopment is EVER a done deal.

I’ll be blunt; I’m very disgusted with how this has progressed and disappointed in people personally (nothing having to do with current the ACM operators). Essie had a vision and cared deeply about that track, more than many would ever have guessed. He saw it as his opportunity to give back and make something that outlasted his time on earth. THIS along with greedy cities is the real story about why race tracks are having so much trouble these days; second and third generation owners that have no ties to what goes into a facility that like or what it means to a community.

Edited by JamesHigdon

3 hours ago, JamesHigdon said:

I’ll be blunt; I’m very disgusted with how this has progressed and disappointed in people personally (nothing having to do with current the ACM operators). Essie had a vision and cared deeply about that track, more than many would ever have guessed. He saw it as his opportunity to give back and make something that outlasted his time on earth. THIS along with greedy cities is the real story about why race tracks are having so much trouble these days; second and third generation owners that have no ties to what goes into a facility that like or what it means to a community.

But are you upset with the right people?

35 minutes ago, rebelracewriter said:

That was deleted yesterday before I ever saw it, just saw other people talking about.

Maybe

Hardball with the current owners? New owner reached out to them? Maybe they’re in negotiations to buy? Maybe we’re just trying to hang on to hope?

…maybe someone remember they needed an environmental survey 🤣😂. Who knows.

They have stopped referring to it as the end of the track and now it’s the end of the season🤷🏼‍♂️

34 minutes ago, JamesHigdon said:

They have stopped referring to it as the end of the track and now it’s the end of the season🤷🏼‍♂️

Well we can think back several years ago when everything was in limbo after the doctor put it up for sale....Lots of gloom and doom, rumors, hearsay, etc....Yet it still lived.

Our son worked the track Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  They told to come this evening to be paid!  Now they are telling him to come back on the 15th, wasting more fuel.
I doubt he ever see's his money, much like friends of our son that worked there for over a month and was never paid.
As much as I would love to see this facility survive, the current promoters are scam artist.
They have screwed over so many that have gone there to work, and never been paid.
I personally know at least 3 younger people, not including my son, that was never paid.
My history in SA and Statewide is long gone, but I would have never put up with this!

Edited by trlrider

• 8 months later...
14 hours ago, Grove said:

The drag strip was sold to the factory being built beside it which makes tranny for dodge toyota.....they will building more factory o. That side...

Where can we verify this information?  

29 minutes ago, NickHolt said:

Where can we verify this information?  

Property Currently is listed as belonging to: RT INDUSTRIAL HOLDONGS LLC
Sale Date Listed as: 12/20/2021
according to the Guadalupe County Appraisal Office

RT Industrial Holdings does not appear to be related to Aisin Texas in any public corporate records.

That property getting valuable or more valuable by the day. Love that location always had thoughts of a 1/4-3/8 oval and some motocross action happening there BUT it's all about the $. Great potential for a true motorsports complex in an ideal location, but TWS was in an ideal location too, so they thought.