First Responders Night @ I-37 Speedway, 9-11-21

First Responders Night @ I-37 Speedway, 9-11-21

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Sept. 11Th, 2021) God Bless America

On the 20 year anniversary of a fateful day in New York City, Washington DC and Shanksville, I-37 Speedway held a First Responders Night offering free grandstand admission to all first responders(fire, police and military.) In a tribute, this week the Factory Stocks were running for $911 to win.

With the IMCA Supernationals being held in Boone, Iowa this entire week, the Modifieds were scheduled off, but racers will be racers, and a group got together for a non-sanctioned event on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, track south of Pleasanton. Also on the card for the night were the Limited Modifieds, Factory Stocks, Sport Compact, Go-Karts and returning the Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas.

Only one more IMCA points race is left on the I-37 Speedway schedule with Ryan Doyon jumping past Jared Maupin by 13, who missed the last race, for the lead. Cody Clark, Stephen Boubel and former track champ, Rick Green complete the top five.

The other regular classes still have two events left after tonight.

In Limited Modifieds Maupin had a big enough lead to hold on to the spot over Sterling Tausch, Tom Grothues, Edward Oakes and Nathan Oakes.

Dakota Hurley still hangs on to the Factory Stock points lead over Dillon Gaither(17), Dustin Hurley, George Quintanilla and Aaron Leddy.

The Sport Compacts still have Ryan McDonald still holding the lead by 13 ahead of Brandon McCall with Ryker Hernandez, Jamie Garner and Justin Sitterle in the top five.

In Late Models, with the night off, Brandon Brzozowski inched further ahead of Kody Hardage, who had mechanical issues last race. Landon Sowder, Barry Quade and Alton Fambro complete the top five.

Morris on the Money

Chris Morris(Taylor) carried on his winning ways at I-37 Speedway going flag to flag. Morris was chased early by former track champ Greg Dinsmore and the young guns, Logan Dinsmore and Cameron Starry in the latter stages.

At the start of the 13-car Modified feature it was Morris into turn 1 first trailed by L. Dinsmore, G. Dinsmore, Cody Duke and Starry. Arizona's Brenda Kirby, in a Morris back-up car, made a move to get by Starry and Duke for fourth. After a restart for a spin by Stephen Boubel, Kirby, Starry and Jamie Campbell went three wide for fourth.

L. Dinsmore would slip in turn 2 allowing his dad and Starry to get past for second and third. G. Dinsmore would suffer a similar fate two laps later in turn 4 giving the spot back to L. Dinsmore as he got by Starry as well. Coming to halfway it was Morris, now with a good lead, L. Dinsmore, Starry, Campbell and Kirby, with G. Dinsmore pitting from fourth.

Making a debut in a Modified, Ryan McDonald looped it in turn 2 for a lap 14 yellow erasing Morris' lead. On the restart though, Morris was able to get away clean from L. Dinsmore and Starry with Kirby and Campbell wheel to wheel for fourth. Morris was able increase his margin and take the checkers in his Tina Reagan Realty, Fiesta Spices, ACM Services, Bigfoot Concrete Pumping, Maxwell Medical Services, Bet All Racing, Track Master, Baja Starters, Barnsco, Ark West Communication, Austin Cutting & Coring, TruForm, five1seven designs, crate powered Lethal Chassis.

613e4fce653ca__JRP8314(1024x683)(2).thumb.jpg.a3d9dc805a328ead35637a70455d7416.jpg

“The car was really good,” said Morris. “I finally have this thing figured out on the slick this year. We struggled a bit at the beginning. We made some good adjustments on it and hopefully we can keep the momentum going. We tightened it up quite a bit between the heat and feature. We saw the track getting slick and thankfully made the right adjustments and hit the nail on the head. It's good having those nights knowing you hit the right set up.”

“I knew if I got out front and hit my lines that we were going to be pretty decent. I knew I just needed to not make any mistakes, Drive my own race, keep the car underneath me and we'd be alright.”

“With Brenda(Kirby) running my back up car we kinda do a little R&D with it. We get try to some stuff that I might be too nervous about trying on race night. Plus, we get to see what we can do to get these things a little faster.”

“I knew Logan(Dinsmore) was going to be tough competition. I ran right behind him at Texana last week. He's really catching his stride and I look forward to racing with him more.”

Price Chevrolet Modifieds

94 Chris Morris, 8gII Logan Dinsmore, 741 Cameron Starry, 29 Jamie Campbell, 94b Brenda Kirby, 53x Matt Fox, 26p Cody Duke, 5 Cody Clark, 60 Levi Ely, 5m Ryan McDonald, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 28 Marlin Samford, Stephen Boubel

Modified heats

Heat 1; 8gII Logan Dinsmore, 26p Cody Duke, 94b Brenda Kirby, 53x Matt Fox, 60 Levi Ely, 5m Ryan McDonald, 7 Stephen Boubel---dns

Heat 2; 94 Chris Morris, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 741 Cameron Starry, 29 Jamie Campbell, 28 Marlin Samford, 5 Cody Clark

Mikulencak Motors Away

The start of the 20-lap Limited Modified feature was a bit sketchy before a lap was completed. Marcus Mikulencak got to turn 1 first, but Sterling Tausch was faster off the bottom of turn 2. Tausch would spin in turn 4 collecting Trent Beaver, Michael Carlock and Allen Alexander. Beaver continued with some body damage, but Alexander and Carlock were done.

On the second start, M. Mikulencak again was first chased by Beaver, Tryton Temple, Chandler Fox and Ben Mikulencak. M. Mikulencak and Beaver were able to pull away from Temple with B. Mikulencak taking fourth from Fox. Coming to halfway it was M. Mikulencak, Beaver, Temple, B. Mikulencak and Dillon Gaither in the top five.

Johnny Brown brought out a lap 13 yellow going for a spin in turn 4 to rebunch the field. B. Mikulencak was able to get past Temple for third on the restart leaving him side by side with Gaither for fourth. Up front M. Mikulencak(Corpus Christi) was creeping away in his Joe Armendia owned, Vinco Plumbing, Ace Transmission, RPM Equipment, Premier Minerals, GT Sirizzoti Excavating, L87 Speedway, All in Designs, All American Race Engines powered, IRP Chassis.

“When you start out front and lead early, you're really not sure what to do,” replied Mikulencak. “You just try to chase your line, hit your marks. I moved around a few times. I tried the bottom a few times and ended up back on top most of the time in (turns) 3-4, and around the bottom in (turns) 1-2. I tried a variety of things.”

“On the restarts you never know if someone behind you has found something a little better. There's a lot stiff that can happen, like miss your marks in the first corner.”

Swenson Racing Products Limited Modifieds

79 Marcus Mikulencak, 14 Trent Beaver, 13 Ben Mikulencak, 39 Tryton Temple, 5 Dillon Gaither, 53x Chandler Fox, 24 Johnny Brown, 95 Sterling Tausch, 99 Allen Alexander, 76 Michael Carlock

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 95 Sterling Tausch, 99 Allen Alexander, 76 Michael Carlock, 53k Chandler Fox, 24r Johnny Brown

Heat 2; 79 Marcus Mikulencak, 14 Trent Beaver, 13m Ben Mikulencak, 39 Tryton Temple, 5 Dillon Gaither

Hustlin' Hurleys

After both scored heat wins, the Hurleys(Dakota and Dustin) started on the front row of the 20-lap Factory Stock feature. As green green waved it was Du. Hurley leading off turn 4, but Da. Hurley got alongside his brother to get the advantage the next lap followed by Allen Torres to second as Cameron Dinsmore took fifth from Riley Heil.

Dinsmore then picked off fourth from Megan Dodson while Mike Lyon got by Heil and Dodson for fifth. Coming to the crossed flags it was Da. Hurley, Torres, Du. Hurley, Dinsmore and Lyon with a yellow for Michael Keylich stopping in turn 4. Back to green, it was three wide between Dinsmore, Heil and Dillon Gaither, who started last after having issues in his heat race, for fourth.

Gaither got the spot and then looked to go three wide with Torres and Du. Hurley who were door to door for second. Gaither was able to take third from Du. Hurley as Da. Hurley was edging away from Torres. In the pack, Dodson, Jose Lopez and Heil were three wide for seventh. Dinsmore slapped the wall losing a spot to Lyon, then spinning in turn 2 a lap later.

Back under green, Da. Hurley got away clean while Gaither, continuing his march from the back, took second from Torres. On the last lap Du. Hurley snuck past Torres for third as Da. Hurley(Sandia) grabbed the win in his 1st Call Plumbing, Schneider Solar Screens, Ace Transmission, All in Designs, Photography by Lindsey Ann, crate powered, Kenny Hurley Race Cars Chassis.

“They've all been tough this year,” commented Hurley. “I felt we had a car to win a couple of nights but it just hasn't fallen our way. Tonight we hit it just right, started up front and were able to pick up the win.”

“My brother and I don't have any side bets or anything. We help each other out as much as we can. At the end of the day, ya, we both want to win races. The only way to do that is help each other.”

“I figured Allen(Torres) would be back there. I don't like starting up front. You never know where the dominant line is going to go and someone like him can get around you. I knew Dillon(Gaither) would be coming from the back, too. I just hoped I was fast enough that he wouldn't get up to me.”

All in Design Factory Stocks

40 Dakota Hurley, 98 Dillon Gaither, 4d Dustin Hurley, 31 Allen Torres, 20 Mike Lyon, 29 Jose Lopez jr., 30 Riley Heil, 38 Josh Sewell, 133 Megan Dodson, 75 Jerry Miller, 10 Scott Jerkins, 36 George Quintanilla, 7 Jess Sandoval, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 44 Katherine Keylich, 18s Jarrett Payton---dns

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 4D Dustin Hurley, 133 Megan Dodson, 75 Aaron Leddy, 29 Jose Lopez jr., 36 George Quintanilla, 44k Katherine Keylich, 10 Scott Jerkins, 98 Dillon Gaither

Heat 2; 40 Dakota Hurley, 31 Allen Torres, 30 Riley Heil, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 20 Mike Lyon, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 38 Josh Sewell, 18s Jarret Payton

Trimble Takes First Tally

The 15-lap B Factory Stock feature saw Makayla Trimble get the lead on lap 1 followed by Daniel Lopez, Jerry Miller, Robert Keylich and William Cavender. Lopez got a run getting alongside Trimble taking the top spot on lap 2. Trimble tried to fight back on lap 4 going low in turn 1 and by off turn 2. But Trimble got loose off turn 4 giving Lopez the spot back.

The two continued to slug it out until Lopez exited abruptly on lap 7 giving the lead back to Trimble. Trimble(Victoria) then had to hold off Miller on two late race restarts to score her first ever win in her Rock Motors, Tonys Mobile Home Service, Magnum Services, WRT, LP Trucking, Destroyer Chassis.

“This is my second race ever in this car,” exclaimed Trimble. “My first ever win. I've raced go-karts and E-Mods before. It was fun racing for the lead with Daniel Lopez for a while. I was trying not to hit him too hard or at all. I had time to get around him.”

“I haven't been in Go-Karts for a while. It's definitely different than the E-Mods, they don't have very much grip. My uncle(Mickey Helms) helps me a lot. He does most of the work. I do air pressure and easy stuff like that. I'd like to move up to the regular Factory Stock class next year, but that's not up to me.”

B Factory Stocks

174 Makayla Trimble, 75 Jerry Miller, 15 William Cavender, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 92r Robert Keylich, 15L Daniel Lopez

B Factory Stock heat; 174 Makayla Trimble, 75 Jerry Miller, 15 William Cavender, 92r Robert Keylich, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 15L Daniel Lopez

McDonald Motors Away Again

With the two points leaders on the front row, Brandon McCall and Ryan McDonald, it was McDonald getting the advantage off turn 4 to lead lap 1. McCall, Jamie Garner, John Thomas and Joshua Garcia fell in line until McCall got loose giving up second to Garner. Jennifer Kidd went over the turn 2 hill for and early caution that saw Garcia, Thomas and Levi Hernandez three wide for fourth on the restart.

From mid-pack, Michael Burris and Kasey Krauss were on on charge with Burris getting fifth from L. Hernandez. At halfway it was McDonald, Garner, McCall and Thomas, with Burris and Krauss side by side for fifth. As the last half laps clicked off, McDonald began pulling away with Krauss getting past Thomas for fourth.

With two to go McDonald came up on heavy traffic slicing his way through. Using traffic, Krauss was able to get by Garner on the final lap for third as McDonald, in his PRG Realty, Texas Task Force, 181 Paving, Buggy Warehouse, 2004 Chevy Cavalier was adding another win to his impressive year-long total.

Sport Compacts

816 Ryan McDonald, 14 Brandon McCall, 8 Kasey Krauss, 33 Jamie Garner, 9t John Thomas, 28 Levi Hernandez, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 32 Joshua Garcia, 14t Shaun Tracy, 11j Josh Jones, 10 Reagan Martin, 75 Chad Miller, 88 Justin Sitterle, 70 Rod Tait, 81 Michael Burris jr., 43 Jennifer Kidd

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 14 Brandon McCall, 33 Jamie Garner, 43 Jennifer Kidd, 70 Rod Tait, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 28 Levi Hernandez, 81 Michael Burris jr., 11j Josh Jones

Heat 2; 816 Ryan McDonald, 9t John Thomas, 32 Joshua Garcia, 88 Justin Sitterle, 8 Kasey Krauss, 75 Chad Miller, 14t Shaun Tracy, 10 Reagan Martin

Spreen Stays Strong

On the second start for the 20-lap Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas it was Dillon Spreen off turn first ahead of Dylan Budnik, Dillon Coyne Ty Paxson and Brandon Spreen. The top three quickly began to separate themselves while B. Spreen snagged fourth from Paxson.

Budnik and Coyne went three wide around a lapped car with Coyne getting the spot. Coming to the crossed flags it was D. Spreen, Budnik getting back by Coyne, B. Spreen and Paxson in the top five. Coyne got back alongside Budnik for second as they again went three wide passing lapped traffic.

Jack Burkhart and Ashlynn Newton got tangled for a lap 17 caution that restacked the pack for a 3-lap shootout. As D. Spreen got away, Drew Stark made a charge going past Paxson and B. Spreen, but both retook spots as B. Spreen(Lindale), who won here two weeks ago, in the Spreen Racing Engines, Swenson Racing Shocks, All In Designs, Damron Chassis was taking the checkers.

Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas

81 Dillon Spreen, 25 Dylan Budnik, 12t Dillon Coyne, 15 Ty Paxson, 88 Brandon Spreen, 03 Drew Stark, 9 James Williams, 08 Danielle Long, 2a Allen Brown, 2 Jerry Book, 93 Adam Stehle, 19r Ashlynn Newton, 07 Jack Burkhart III

DCRST heats

Heat 1; 12t Dillon Coyne, 88 Brandon Spreen, 15 Ty Paxson, 9 James Williams, 07 Jack Burkhart III, 2 Jerry Book, 93 Adam Stehle

Heat 2; 03 Drew Stark, 25 Dylan Budnik, 81 Dillon Spreen, 08 Danielle Long, 2a Allen Brown, 19r Ashlynn Newton

Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts

Predator Division(Top 3); Kiehl Van Blarcum, Curtis Opiela, Andy Van Blarcum

Senior Division; Cody Clegg, Connor Holt

Junior Division; Easton Sargisson, Cecilia Johnson, Beau Payton, Blaine Markgraf

Youth Division; Tucker Kempe, Colt Stafford, Cheston Markgraf, Maryann Alameda, Landon Budnik

Edited by rebelracewriter