Late Models, Dwarf Cars, IMCA Fast Shaft Qualifier @ I-37 Speedway 8/28/21

Late Models, Dwarf Cars, IMCA Fast Shaft Qualifier @ I-37 Speedway 8/28/21

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Aug. 28Th, 2021) Dodged the rain.

I-37 Speedway was able to dodge the scattered showers with a big night of racing scheduled on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt oval south of San Antonio. On the slate tonight was a $1,000 to win IMCA Fast Shaft Qualifier for the IMCA Modifieds, sponsored by Sundowner Performance Diesel and 3-D Landscaping. Also added were the Late Models and the Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas

With only a few races remaining in the points for the local classes it's coming down the wire in some classes.

In IMCA Modifieds it's Jared Maupin(not in attendance) heading the list by 24 over Ryan Doyon, with Cody Clark, Talon Minten and Stephen Boubel in the top five.

Maupin also holds the lead in Limited Modifieds by a large 59 point margin over Sterling Tausch while Tom Grothues. Craig Oakes and JJ Jennings round out the top five.

Brandon Brzozowski holds the Late Model points lead but by only 2 markers on Kody Hardage, 10 on Landon Sowder, with Alton Fambro and Barry Quade tied for fourth, 24 back.

In Factory Stocks, Dakota Hurley increased his margin over Dillon Gaither to 18 up with his brother Dustin Hurley third, George Quintanilla fourth and Aaron Leddy fifth.

In Sport Compacts Brandon McCall has closed the gap on points leader Ryan McDonald to only 10 while Ryker Hernandez, Jamie Garner and Joshua Garcia complete the top five.

Oakes OK in Modified Mania

With a grand and an invitation to the IMCA Fast Shaft Qualifier on the line the 20-lap IMCA Modified was packed with action. Polesitter, after the redraw, Raymond McSpadden got a good advantage on the green chased by Rick Green, Dillon Tindall, Anthony Gordon and Jamie Campbell. Campbell would go around and collect Cody Tidwell and Landon Bednarz for an early caution.

Back to green, Green got a good run on McSpadden for the lead, but Gordon got an even better run off turn 4 getting by Green and Tindall for second. On a restart after a spin by Stephen Boubel, Tidwell took third from Green with Craig Oakes following to fourth. Up front McSpadden drifted too high off turn 4 allowing Gordon get the top spot on lap 6, while Oakes worked past Tidwell for third.

Oakes continued his charge taking second from McSpadden and quickly on Gordon for the lead. Oakes was able to slip past Gordon for the lead on lap 8. At halfway it was Oakes, Gordon, Tidwell, McSpadden and Green in the top five. Tidwell and McSpadden made contact and spun on lap 11 with Tidwell going to the tail and McSpadden continuing on, albeit with a left front flat.

Oakes got away clean on the restart, but the three-wheeling McSpadden would loop it and collect Tindall, Ryan Doyon and Bednarz. Again Oakes got a good jump on green while Tidwell got past Doyon for fifth. Gordon tried to hang with Oakes with Tidwell and Doyon closing in on Green for third.

With two to go Oakes had about four-car lengths on Gordon. With the white flag waving Oakes was holding off Gordon, behind them Green got spun by Tidwell in turn 2. As they came back to the checkers it was Oakes(Marshall) in his Cuero Engine Service, 3-D Landscapiing, Ewing Irrigation, Alamo Truck Accessories, TS2 Consulting, Nasty Cookers, Razors Edge Graphics, crate powered, IRP Chassis with the win.

612bf8f1926ca__JRP7688(1024x683)(2).jpg.76f363cd258354f24079fb94101980be.jpg

Price Chevrolet IMCA Modifieds

91 Craig Oakes, 22 Anthony Gordon, 82 Rick Green, 5r Ryan Doyon, 29 Jamie Campbell, 16 Landon Bednarz, 17 Cody Tidwell---BF, 48r Raymond McSpadden, 86 Dillon Tindall, 7 Stephen Boubel, 5 Cody Clark, 28 Marlin Samford---dns

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 48r Raymond McSpadden, 86 Dillon Tindall, 91 Craig Oakes, 29 Jamie Campbell, 16 Landon Bednarz, 5 Cody Clark

Heat 2; 17 Cody Tidwell, 22m Anthony Gordon, 5r Ryan Doyon, 82 Rick Green, 7 Stephen Boubel, 28 Marlin Samford

The Mighty Oakes Stand Tall in Limited Modifieds

At the start of the Limited Modified feature polesitter Tom Grothues had trouble right away and pulled off leaving Ryan Doyon and Edward Oakes side by side for the lead. Doyon was able to get the nose out front with E. Oakes falling in line second ahead of Nathan Oakes, Allen Alexander and Dillon Gaither.

Rusty Head was on the move from his last starting spot getting by Kevin Parker and Alexander for fourth on lap 2 then past Gaither for third on lap 4. Doyon was stretching out his lead coming to halfway with E. Oakes, Head, Gaither and Alexander the top five. Parker brought out a lap 13 yellow when he clipped an infield tire and stopped with the tire wedged under the front.

Back to green, E. Oakes got inside Doyon for the lead as they ran wheel to wheel until E. Oakes edged ahead on lap 14. Head tried to follow E. Oakes through while Alexander and Gaither were side by side for fourth. Head finally worked past Doyon for second with Alexander now looking low on Doyon for third.

Head then caught E. Oakes with two to go and was trying to get underneath on the final lap but spun and collected Gaither setting up a one lap shootout. Doyon got a run to get past Alexander for second and took a look low on E. Oakes. Not to be outdone by his son in the IMCA Modified feature, E. Oakes(Cuero) in his Cuero Engine Service, La Femme Boutique, McMahan Services, Warmsley Performance, Barrys Cajun Food, IRP Chassis was able to hold off Doyon for the victory.

612bf91173829__JRP7360(1024x683)(2).jpg.a5042b5fc7b478aa82971c500b266716.jpg

Swenson Racing Products Limited Modifieds

53 Edward Oakes, 5r Ryan Doyon, 99 Allen Alexander, 95 Sterling Tausch, 55 Rusty Head, 5 Dillon Gaither, 7 Kevin Parker, 21 Nathan Oakes, 24r Johnny Brown, 11t Tom Grothues

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 11t Tom Grothues, 5r Ryan Doyon, 99 Allen Alexander, 24r Johnny Brown, 95 Sterling Tausch

Heat 2; 53 Edward Oakes, 21 Nathan Oakes, 5 Dillon Gaither, 7k Kevin Parker, 55r Rusty Head--dns

Brzozowski Bags Late Model Loot

As the 20-lap Late Model fired off it was Kody Hardage beating Brandon Brzozowski to turn 1 for the lead. Brzozowski, Barry Quade, Landon Sowder and Jason Kelly sorted out behind the leader. Yellow flew on lap 4 when Wes Walker slowed and stopped in the pit out road. The Hardage-Brzozowski battle never came to be as Hardage threw a belt off and pitted under the caution.

With Brzozowski now on point he was quickly away from Quade once back to green. Sowder slowed from third, eventually pulling off. This left Alton Fambro and Quade to battle for second as Brzozowski eased away coming to the crossed flags with Quade, Fambro, Kelly and Aaron Leddy in the top five.

Brzozowski, now a full straightaway ahead, as Kelly and Leddy had a good scrap going for fourth. Brzozowski(La Vernia) in the his Billy Bobs Repair, Lone Star Pressure Equipment, Mo Bags Suspension & Technology, Texas Industrial Radiator, All in Designs, Magnum by Nilfisk, The Trash Can Cleaners, Pressure Pro, Schaeffers Oil, 604 crate, Rocket XR1 Chassis easily cruised to the win.

I didn’t want to win it like that, but I’ll take it.” replied Brzozowski. “Before Kody(Hardage) pulled off I felt like we were going to have a good race and put on a show for the fans.”

I was happy to see two new cars join the class this race with us loosing Frank Okruhlik. Jamie Campbell is also putting together a car, his engine parts didn’t all make it in time to get it ready for this race but he should be ready for next race. With the new cars, if everyone shows up, we should have 14 or so cars. I saw Nick Morris has Frank O's old car and hopefully they will put it together to come out and race with us.”

.I hope the track decides to run us both nights of the DTK memorial. I would be willing to add to the purse those nights to have a 2 day show that brings in some more out of town guys. Late models are alive and well in Texas.”

I’d like to thank God for blessing me with the ability to race and pick up a win along the way here and there. I’d like to thank my wife and kids for their support! Thank you to Byrne Jacobson for the help at the track and busting his butt to make the changes on the car through out the night. Thank you to the fans who come out and spend their hard earned money to support and watch us.”

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

104 Brandon Brzozowski, 19 Barry Quade, 08 Alton Fambro, 57 Jason Kelly, 5 Aaron Leddy, 13 Howie Marcx, 10 Landon Sowder, 12d Carl Dyer, 12 Kody Hardage, 01 Wes Walker

Late Model heats

Heat 1; 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 10 Landon Sowder, 08 Alton Fambro, 01 Wes Walker, 12d Carl Dyer

Heat 2; 12 Kody Hardage, 19 Barry Quade, 57 Jason Kelly, 5 Aaron Leddy, 13 Howie Marcx

Torres Tops Factory Stock Field

This year has seen some epic battles in Factory Stocks, tonight would be no different. At the drop of the green it was Dillon Gaither and Allen Torres staying door to door with Gaither getting the bumper out front to lead lap 1. Torres dropped in line second with Michael Keylich, Dakota Hurley and Scott Jerkins in pursuit.

Torres took an early look low on Gaither while Keylich slipped and fell back before working his way back up. A debris caution on lap 6 slowed the pace. Back to green, Dustin Hurley got past Keylich for fourth while Da. Hurley was trying high on Torres for second. This gave Du. Hurley an opening to get alongside his brother for third.

Da. Hurley held the top and was able to hold off his brother and get the nose past Torres. At the midway point it was Gaither, Da. Huley, Torres, Du. Hurley and Robert Kelm up to fifth. Keylich brought out a yellow after contact with an infield tire on lap 11. This set up the final race to the checkers.

As green waved again, Torres jumped to the top to get by Da. Hurley for second with Kelm taking fourth from Du. Hurley. Staying up top, Torres worked his way around Gaither for the lead on lap 14 with Hurley and Kelm now running the top too.

Gaither tried to fight back on the bottom getting back alongside Torres coming off turn 2 as the final laps clicked off. Torres and Gaither ran up on slower traffic on the final lap. The duo split the lapped car three wide coming to the checkers with Torres(San Antonio) eking out the victory by about a car length in the Allens 24/7 Towing, All in Designs, JGR Fab, Destroyer Chassis.

Tonight was great,” commented Torres. “When I came out and won my heat race, that’s when I knew it was going to be a good night. Going against (Dillon)Gaither was even better, but he had me the majority of the race. I was determined to at least give him some competition and I was happy I went from the bottom to the top.”

It’s all about fun and I’m glad I have Tom, Roger & River to help me at the shop. Thanks to All in Designs, Allen’s 24/7 Towing and my friends and family to support me.

All in Design Factory Stocks

4s Allen Torres, 98 Dillon Gaither, 40 Dakota Hurley, 48L Robert Kelm, 4d Dustin Hurley, 18s Jarrett Payton, 17e Jerry Evans, 14f Lynn Fox, 18 Kyle Kirkland, 44k Michael Keylich, 36 George Quintanilla, 34h Hunter Peterson, 11x Brian Harbison, 1t Jason Turnmire, 10 Scott Jerkins

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 4s Allen Torres, 44k Michael Keylich, 48L Robert Kelm, 36 George Quintanilla, 4d Dustin Hurley, 1t Jason Turnmire, 18 Kyle Kirkland, 11x Brian Harbison

Heat 2; 98 Dillon Gaither, 10 Scott Jerkins, 40 Dakota Hurley, 17e Jerry Evans, 18s Jarrett Payton, 14f Lynn Fox, 34h Hunter Peterson

Vickery Victorious in Debut

After working as crew chief for Johnny Torres, Russell Vickery(Maxwell) jumped in the Sullivan Motorsports Factory Stock and went flag to flag for the win. At the start Vickery and Daniel Lopez were door to door until Vickery took command after a caution for a Jerry Miller spin on lap 2.

As Vickery pulled away from Lopez, Miller worked his way back to battle with George Pullin for third before losing fluid and having to pit. As the white flag waved Vickery had motored away to a little over a full straightaway lead over Lopez, easily taking the checkers in the Sullivan Motorsports, Swenson Diggs by JT, Ace Transmission, All in Designs, Odessa Pumps, Flanagan Muffler Shop, Destroyer Chassis.

It was kinda cool to see the roles reversed this weekend with Johnny(Torres) being the crew chief and myself racing.” said Vickery. “It was a blast for sure. But I knew he would give me the best car, it was just left up to me to wheel it.”

That was my first race in a rear wheel drive car on dirt. Johnny said I seemed a little nervous, that could have been true. But I knew I had some big shoes to fill with running that car, I told him it was probably the same feeling he had when he drove (Steve)Whiteaker’s limited late last year.”

I first off have got to thank TJ Sullivan and Johnny Torres for this opportunity.”

B Factory Stocks

8s Russell Vickery, 15 Daniel Lopez, 17e George Pullin, 75 Jerry Miller, 92r Robert Keylich, 55 Chris Clark---dns

B Factory Stock heat; 15 Daniel Lopez, 8s Russell Vickery, 75 Jerry Miller, 92r Robert Keylich, 17e George Pullin, 55 Chris Clark

McDonald on the Money

The start of the 20-lap Sport Compact feature saw Dylan Kowalik first off turn with Jennifer Kidd and Ryan McDonald side by side second, and with Michael Burris jr and Justin Sitterle in tow. Sitterle got by Burris and Kidd for third while McDonald was challenging Kowalik for the lead. McDonald got a good run to get past, but a yellow for Kidd slapping the front stretch wall negated the pass.

McDonald used a run up top once back to green to get by Kowalik on lap 4 with Jamie Garner taking fourth from Burris, who lost fifth to Brandon McCall a lap later. McCall, the birthday boy, kept on the march getting around Garner and Sitterle for third. McCall then picked off Kowalik for second bringing Garner along to third.

At halfway it was McDonald pulling away from McCall, Garner, Sitterle and Kowalik in the top five. An infield tire brought out a lap 16 yellow to erase McDonalds lead. Back to green, Garner took second from McCall while Kasey Krauss grabbed fourth from Kowalik.

Levi Hernandez moved up to fifth with McCall and Krauss now door to door for third. Up front, McDonald was inching away from Garner as Krauss took third from McCall and Sitterle retook fifth from L. Hernendez. At the checkers it was McDonald(Floresville) in the PRG Realty, Texas Task Force, 181 Paving, Buggy Warehouse, 2004 Chevy Cavalier grabbing another win.

I'm back!” exclaimed McDonald who took at trip over the turn 4 hill last time out. “After the last race bump and run it tore up most of the front suspension. In the heat race, the car felt way off, almost like starting from scratch. I just tried to stay patient and watch everyone pinball down the track. We made a few key changes for the main and they were definitely heading in the right direction.”

Sport Compacts

816 Ryan McDonald, 33 Jamie Garner, 8 Kasey Krauss, 14 Brandon McCall, 88 Justin Sitterle, 28 Levi Hernandez, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 14t Shaun Tracy, 11j Josh Jones, 32 Joshua Garcia, 75r Randy Frautschi, 9t John Thomas, 35 Darrel Jones, 81 Michael Burris jr., 43 Jennifer Kidd, 12 Roy Easler jr---dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 43 Jennifer Kidd, 816 Ryan McDonald, 8 Kasey Krauss, 14 Brandon McCall, 9t John Thomas, 12 Roy Easler jr., 55 Ryker Hernandez, 35 Darrel Jones, 32 Joshua Garcia

Heat 2; 29k Dylan Kowalik, 81 Michael Burris jr., 88 Justin Sitterle, 33 Jamie Garner, 11j Josh Jones, 14t Shaun Tracy, 75r Randy Frautschi, 28 Levi Hernandez

Green to Spreen in DCRST Main

In the green to checker 20-lap Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas feature it was Ty Paxson grabbing the early lead trailed by James Williams, Dillon Spreen, Keagan Moore and Dylan Budnik. Paxson got loose in turn 1 slowing the lane with D. Spreen moving low to get by Williams and Paxson for the lead on lap 3.

Williams and Budnik then swapped third with Dillon Coyne taking fifth from Moore. At halfway, with the leaders in traffic, it was D. Spreen, Paxson and Budnik three wide around a lapped car, Williams and Coyne. Paxson and Budnik continued side by side for second until Paxson had problems and pulled off.

That second place battle allowed D. Spreen to build a comfortable lead. Coming to the white flag D. Spreen(Lindale) had half a straightaway over Budnik going on to the victory in his Spreen Racing Engines, Swenson Racing Shocks, All In Designs, Damron Chassis.

Starting fourth I was able to work my way to the bottom on lap 2.” said Spreen. “Once I was working around the inside tires I knew that was the line that would win the race. I worked on managing my right rear tire all race by entering the corners low and straight to get the car pointed off the corner. I knew if I protected the bottom I could control the race.”

Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas

81 Dillon Spreen,25 Dylan Budnik, 09 James Williams, 03 Drew Stark, 12 Dillon Coyne, 1k Keagan Moore, 07 Jack Burkhart III, 80 Brandon Spreen, 2 Jerry Book, 08 Danielle Long, 93 Adam Stehle, 2a Allen Brown, 64 Larry Carwin, 50 Tommy Northcutt, 15 Ty Paxson

DCRST heats

Heat 1; 03 Drew Stark, 9 James Williams, 2a Allen Brown, 64 Larry Carwin, 50 Tommy Northcutt

Heat 2; 12t Dillon Coyne, 1k Keagan Moore, 80 Brandon Spreen, 07 Jack Burkhart III, 08 Danielle Long

Heat 3; 81 Dillon Spreen, 25 Dylan Budnik, 15 Ty Paxson, 2 Jerry Book, 93 Adam Stehle

Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts

Senior Division; Charles Flanagan, Zoey Adkins

Junior Division; Blaine Markgraf, Gabriel Solis, Beau Payton, Easton Sargisson, Remington Oakes, Cecily Johnson

Youth Division; Tucker Kempe, Kaden Pacheco, Cheston Markgraf, Landon Budnik