For immediate release:
STLMS Public Relations
Tel:
210-827-0229

Texana Raceway Park next stop for Southern Touring Late Model Series
Big names gearing up for Memorial Day weekend Twin-Bill

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (May 19, 2021) — Down in southeast Texas, there's a racy little oval that's undergoing a significant transformation. With a new, ambitious owner in Cord Beard and an award-winning promoter in Owen Pittman, Texana Raceway Park in Edna has become a true gem. 

On Memorial Day weekend, that shining diamond will roar to life with the sounds of Late Model racing, as the Southern Touring Late Model Series (STLMS) gears up for the third and fourth points races on their 2021 schedule on Saturday and Sunday, May 29-30. 

Leading the charge into Texana are veteran pilots Dean Abbey, Philip Houston and Brandon Brzozowski. Abbey, of Boyd, Texas, picked up a win at Devil's Bowl Speedway on May 8 in a DFW Crate Late Model Series event. His skills and equipment are among the very best. 

Series promoter Kody Hardage is excited about the return to Texana, and says the show will be a not-to-miss affair for area fans. The Late Models are well-suited to the layout and can really perform. 

I grew up in the Victoria area, and Texana was one of the tracks I visited as a kid,” Hardage said. “Texana has been a track that has always produced good racing since the series started. After taking a couple years away, we returned last year to cap off our season. Owen has had track prep on point for a multi-groove track all season, and I can't wait to bring this series back home for Memorial Day Weekend.” 

Last weekend, the series kicked off the new campaign with a western swing to West Texas Raceway in Lubbock on Friday, and a visit to Route 66 Motor Speedway in Amarillo on Saturday. 

Friday night, Zach Nickell capitalized when leader Colton Horner suffered a mechanical failure and hung on to notch his first career Late Model feature victory. Kip Hughes settled for second, while Sinton native Cody Leonard finished third. Hayden Ross and Troy Bynum completed the top five. 

Horner found redemption on Saturday, leading every lap of the A Main at Route 66 Motor Speedway. Ross made a valiant late-race charge yet settled for second, while Joe Godsey filled out the podium. Houston and Bynum finished fourth and fifth, respectively. 

Brzozowski, of La Vernia, Texas, had a rough start to his 2021 season. Friday's visit to Lubbock produced a disappointing 13th-place finish, while Saturday's race at Route 66 brought a 15th-place finish out of 19 cars. He's looking to break out at Texana, and says he's anxious for a visit to Edna. 

For 2021, I have partnered up with Kody Hardage, owner of the No. 12 Longhorn chassis,” Brzozowski said. “I'll be driving it at all the STLMS events. My first race in a Late Model was back in 2015 at Texana. I’ve always enjoyed the track and am really looking forward to racing there again.” 

Post time for Hot Laps at Texana on Saturday, May 29 is set for 7 p.m., while Sunday's show gets under way at 6:30. For more information, please go to www.stlms.com

STLMS Logo.jpg

TRP Logo.jpg