Gina Schild-Knowles to bring Mobile International Speedway back to life in 2021

Mobile International Speedway Returns to Life in 2021, Super Late Model Race Added

by Matt Weaver, Short Track Scene (shorttrackscene.com)

By way of Houston Motorsports Park, Gina Schild-Knowles will operate Mobile International Speedway this season, including the return of the Southern Super Series on June 26.

The addition of Mobile to the Southern Super Series schedule gives the southeastern tour 12 points races in addition to the season-ending non-points showcase that is the All-American 400 at Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway.

It’s not currently clear if the track has been sold or leased, but Schild-Knowles said she will continue to operate both tracks during an appearance on the official Five Flags Speedway Facebook Live on Monday night.

“We plan to run both of these like sister tracks,” Schild-Knowles said. “Same primary classes. We’ll have different companion classes of course because we have different racing at both.

“In general, we’re going to promote them the same.”

Short Track Scene has reached out to Schild-Knowles for additional comment.

The June 26 event will be the first Southern Super Series event at the Irvington, Alabama half-mile since 2018 when Stephen Nasse won the inaugural and ill-fated Mobile 300. Just 14 Super Late Models showed up for a five-figure check to win race.

The track struggled under its previous management groups and Late Models were dropped from future cards.

“The Southern Super Series is anxious to get back there,” Southern Super Series promoter Tim Bryant said. “There has been some great racing there in the past.

“I’m not sure what it is about that place, but we’ve seen a lot of side-by-side races and finishes over the year, and we expect to see more of that.”

Schild-Knowles says she expects 2021 to be a transition to greater things in 2022.

“A minimal schedule this year,” Schild-Knowles said. “I think 2022 will be a big year for both HMP and MIS with a lot more races scheduled.

“It’s really important to work with the other tracks in the area, but I’d like to run 10-12 races.”

Schild-Knowles says a four event schedule, that includes a meet-and-greet for racers and the new promotional group, will be released on Tuesday morning.

“We’d like to add more races, but it took a lot longer to put it together than I thought it would,” Schild-Knowles said. ”

Several races could be same-weekend doubleheaders with Five Flags Speedway.

“I had to finish the schedule at HMP and work with the track owner there, dates were limited, and I had to wait for (Pensacola) to put (their) schedule out. I think we have a great schedule.

“We’re going to have a couple of practices first to make sure everything is in good shape, listen to the racers and make a game plan.”