Bounty Hunting @ I-37 Speedway. 9-26-20

Bounty Hunting @ I-37 Speedway. 9-26-20

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Sept 26th, 2020) With only two more regular season points races left, it's time for drivers to get serious about their respective points races. All six regular classes were in action on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt track along with the Go-karts on the infield track.

The IMCA Modified points didn't change since their feature race was canceled the last outing due to a big Factory Stock crash, and deteriorating track conditions from rain during the race week. Chris, Carroll, Rick Green, Robert Liese jr, Johnny Melancon and Ryan Doyon are the top five.

In USRA Limited Modifieds, Johnny Torres could take a night and still hold the points lead over Ryan Doyon, Talon Minten, Sterling Tausch and Robby Minten. But a special bounty put on he and Steve Whiteaker jr. will keep Torres up on the wheel.

The Late Models have Frank Okruhlik with a basically a race in hand on Landon Sowder, with Howie Marcx, Trey Votion and Aaron Driscoll in their own battle.

USRA Factory Stocks saw some gains/losses after last races big crash. Josh Sewell avoided the melee while Mike Lyon jumped past Michael Keylich for the runner-up spot. Jesse Sandoval and Dustin Hurley round out the top five.

The USRA Tuner class were also unable to run their feature on 9-12-20 so Brian Schoenbaum, Jamie Garner, Adam Tracy, Brandon McCall and Adolph Tracy held their spots.

Gold for Green, Championship for Carroll

The 20-lap IMCA Modified main got off to a rocky start with three cautions in the first two laps. At the start Johnny Melancon was first off turn 2 with the lead trailed by Rick Green, Marlin Samford, Landon Bednarz and Chandler Fox. After a couple fender-benders and an infield tire for cautions, Melencon had to pull off with suspension failure on the right rear.

This gave the lead to Green with Talon Minten moving to second on the restart. Ryan Doyon wheel hopped Jared Maupin and found the front stretch wall for a lap 5 caution. Once back to racing, Green began pulling away to a half straightaway at the crossed flags with T. Minten, Logan Dinsmore, Robert Liese and Landon Bednarz in the top five.

As T. Minten and L. Dinsmore swapped second, exchanging slide jobs at times, Green increased his margin. T. Minten finally secured second as the duo worked through traffic, but it was past track champion, Green taking the victory in his Green Construction, Chris Carroll Construction, Nate Mare Graphics, crate powered BMS by Carroll Chassis.

5f7112ddcac97__JRP0669(1024x683)(2).jpg.b485ced38f93d63e8d08061a9d5dd9a6.jpg

Nobody went to the outside on the start,” replied Green. “I was able to quickly move to up to third. I knew that I just needed a little clear track and it would be mine. The track was dry on the bottom and was tacky from about the middle up. I liked it. I like to air the car out. It was fun.”

I did absolutely nothing to the car between the heat and feature. After last races track conditions I was a little worried there might be some ruts come back because of the deep moisture. It was night and day difference tonight.”

The first laps I just hit my marks. Then I'd kick the car sideways in turn 2 to try to see where everybody was. I figured I had a pretty good lead when I could come out of turn 2 and see then just entering turn 1.”

It was our(mine and Chris Carroll) game plan from day one that I would help support him running for the championship. I did an awful of R&D work over the year. I was doing things to help myself, Chris and our team out. I found a couple little things. Tonight it was my set up 100%.”

With IMCA points ending this week it's our final points night and I'm worn out.” added champion Carroll. “I'm ready to go play somewhere else and do some big races. Points racing doesn't have the fun in it. You have to make sure you make it to the next race. If you wreck you don't get a chance to take a race off to get it fixed right. Then I built a new car mid-season.”

Rick and I started this season and I told him I was going run for the championship. He decided that he would back me and he never let off on me. At the end of the day he did a lot of R&D for us. We put stuff on his car and if it worked, we tried it on mine. He was a great team mate and we had a lot of fun and won a lot of races. It was a challenge for the two of us to do what we did. We finished 1-2 in points and that was our goal this season.”

Simpson Racing Products IMCA Modifieds

82 Rick Green, 14t Talon Minten, 8gII Logan Dinsmore, 77 Robert Liese jr., 16 Landon Bednarz, 53x Chandler Fox, 5r Ryan Doyon, 91m Jared Maupin, 31m Marlin Samford, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 419 Johnny Melancon, 15 Chris Carroll, 24 Robby Minten

IMCA Modfied heats

Heat 1; 14t Talon Minten, 91m Jared Maupin, 31m Marlin Samford, 8gII Logan Dinsmore, 419 Johnny Melancon, 15 Chris Carroll, 77 Robert Liese jr

Heat 2; 82 Rick Green, 53x Chandler Fox, 16 Landon Bednarz, 24r Robby Minten, 5r Ryan Doyon, 8g Greg Dinsmore

Whiteaker Fends off Bounty Hunters for Win

As the USRA Limited Modified field took the green it appeared early that Jared Maupin might take the 'Bounty' money as he jumped out front ahead of Johnny Torres, Cody Beddoe, Steve Whiteaker jr. and Robby Minten. As Maupin and Torres inched away, Whiteaker was pressuring Beddoe for third. After several tries Whiteaker finally got the spot.

Behind them Anthony Gordon and Minten were swapping fifth when yellow waved for Jason Hubert stopped in the pit exit. On the restart Whiteaker got a good run past Torres and under Maupin briefly. At halfway it was Maupin, Whiteaker, Torres, Minten and Gordon. Whiteaker was now putting the heat on Maupin for the lead.

Whiteaker dove low to get past Maupin, but a yellow for a spin by Gordon after contact with Edward Oakes erased the pass. Whiteaker and Torres stayed side by side on the restart with JJ Jennings getting by Beddoe for fourth. After Holding off Torres, Whiteaker was again Maupin for the lead.

Whiteaker and Maupin were wheel to wheel on lap 14 with Whiteaker getting the pass off turn 2 on lap 15. This left Maupin battling with Torres for second who took the position on lap 16. As Whiteaker pulled ahead, Beddoe would loop it on lap 18 setting up a green, white, checkered finish.

On green Torres took a peek low in turn 1-2, but that was all he could do as, despite losing a plug wire, Whiteaker was able to hold him off for the win in the D&SS Construction, First Class Towing Service, Parker Lee Project, Cottrell Racing, South Texas Speedway, Churches Chicken, G&M Oilfield Services, WW bodies, Dark Horse Racing Shocks, Best Race Engines, Innovative Chassis.

5f7112f8abade__JRP0789(1024x683)(2).jpg.f9a40e7ee760d65fe03df00cd590343b.jpg

That was easy,” joked Whiteaker. “I felt my car was good on the top or the bottom. That midway restart I even asked Johnny what lane he wanted and he wanted the bottom, so I took the top. The last few laps I was down a cylinder after having a plug wire come off. I've got to thank Dustin(Butcher) for crewing last night.”

Swenson Racing Products USRA Limited Modifieds

89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 66 Johnny Torres, 96 Jared Maupin, 26g JJ Jennings, 22m Anthony Gordon, 99 Edward Oakes, 77 Cody Beddoe, 5r Ryan Doyon, 30k Chris Swenson, 12r Roly Rodriguez, 31L Sherrill Lewis, 95 Sterling Tausch, 7 Kevin Parker, 3g Gary Hall jr., 24r Robby Minten, 778 Jason Hubert sr

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 96 Jared Maupin, 66 Johnny Torres, 95s Sterling Tausch, 89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 22m Anthony Gordon, 7 Kevin Parker, 26g JJ Jennings, 3g Gary Hall jr

Heat 2; 24r Robby Minten, 77 Cody Beddoe, 5r Ryan Doyon, 12r Roly Rodriguez, 31L Sherrill Lewis, 778 Jason Hubert sr., 99 Edward Oakes, 30k Chris Swenson

Brzozowski Boss in Late Models

With extra money on the line courtesy of Vermeer Equipment, extra laps were added to Late Model feature, which would go caution free. Brandon Brzozowski got the jump on green with Frank Okruhlik, Trey Votion, Alton Fambro and Landon Sowder in pursuit. As Brzozowski and Okruhlik e

motored away, Sowder took fourth from Fambro.

Sowder then caught, and past, former track champ Votion for third. At halfway Brzozowki has crept out on Okruhlik who had a gap to Sowder, Votion and Fambro. Brzozowski, in his Billy Bobs Tire & Repair, Lone Star Pressure Equipment, Shaeffers Racing Oil, Texas Industrial Radiator, The Trash Can Cleaners, MoBags Suspension, Magnum by Nilfisk, All in Designs, Pressure Pro, 602 crate powered Rocket XR1 Chassis increased the gap to the checkers.

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

104 Brandon Brzozowski, 99f Frank Okruhlik, 08 Landon Sowder, 99 Trey Votion, 108 Alton Fambro, 17 Adrian Awalt, 13 Howie Marcx, 007 Aaron Driscoll, 53x Matt Fox, 95 Jerry Jones---dns

Late Model heats

Heat 1; 99f Frank Okruhlik, 108 Alton Fambro, 53x Matt Fox, 17 Adrian Awalt, 95 Jerry Jones

Heat 2; 104 Brandn Brzozowski, 99 Trey Votion, 08 Landon Sowder, 007 Aaron Driscoll, 13 Howie Marcx

Sewell Scores in Factory Stock Frenzy

Lately the USRA Factory Stock features have been tough on equipment and tonight's 20-lap feature would be no different. As the green flew it was Anthony Gordon getting off turn 2 first, but it was points leader, Josh Sewell coming off turn 4 to lead lap 1 chased by Gordon, Dustin Hurley, Mike Lyon and Johnny Torres.

After a minor tangle between Jerry Evans and Johnny Johnson, the next caution saw Ramon Sevilla and Michael Keylich make hard contact with Kasey Krauss, Charles Earnhardt, Eric Ramos and Jerry Miller getting collected with minor damage. Third time wasn't any charm either as Ray Doyon spun and collected Michael Villareal.

Finally to green flag racing the top three got away with Lyon and Wade Jones door to door for fourth and Robert Kelm beside Krauss for sixth. Sewell got some breathing room as Me. Villareal and Hurley swapped second. Jones and Lyon caught Me. Villareal going three wide for third.

Me. Villareal kept the spot and was on Hurley again for second. The two made contact allowing Lyon to sneak past both for second. Hurley and Me. Villareal again made contact that squeezed Kelm into the wall and collected Cameron Dinsmore for a lap 7 yellow. Officials cut the laps to 15 on the time limit.

Sewell got a good jump on green with Jones taking second from Lyon and Hurley following to third. Hurley and Jones then went door to door for second with Krauss and Lyon side by side for fourth. As those scraps continued, Sewell was out front cruising without any challenge.

Jones finally secured second from Hurley with three to go but a big gap to Sewell up front. Hurley then had a fight with Lyon Krauss as the final laps clicked off. At the checkers it was Sewell in his 2Jacks Racing, TTR, Wildcat Fluids, McDonald Sales & Salvage, Continental Batteries, KH Suspension, Ace Machine Shop powered, Outlaw Chassis.

'”It felt good,” replied Sewell. “We had a real good track. After working on the car all week it was great. I haven't really won one crossing the finish line first so this one was special for me. Crossed first, passed tech, the whole nine yards, leading the points. It feels good. We've had our bad night but this one was good.”

I kept wondering when Johnny(Torres) or Memphis Villareal would try to come around me. He and I have raced tight together lately. It's been a lot of fun. I thought for sure that he'd be coming. I told everyone it felt like I was getting every lap, but didn't know I had a good lead. It must have been hitting a rut or something.”

I was on the bottom but you never know if anyone is finding something better. I started wondering if the top was faster. I just running my line around the bottom and didn't see any noses up top. I heard the top side was fast and had some guys up there. I'm just glad we got it done. I was getting frustrated with cautions.”

This is a hell of a competitive class. I felt like they would bring it hard on the restarts. To be able to win and beat these guys is amazing to me. I'm running for two championships this year. I love where I'm at. I just want to finish it up. I've got a little points cushion here, but I'm just going to keep digging trying for this first championship.”

All in Design USRA Factory Stocks

38 Josh Sewell, 41 Wade Jones, 20 Mike Lyon, 23k Kasey Krauss, 4d Dustin Hurley, 48 Robert Kelm, 79 Michael Villareal, 5r Ray Doyon, 33 Charles Earnhardt, 21r Eric Ramos, 15 William Cavender, 17e Jerry Evans, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 30 Memphis Villareal, 30m Anthony Gordon, 18 Ramon Sevilla, 26br Johnny Torres, 49k Michael Keylich, 75 Jerry Miller, 18s Jarrett Payton, 01 Johnny Johnson

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 30m Anthony Gordon, 20 Mike Lyon, 30 Memphis Villareal, 23k Kasey Krauss, 5r Ray Doyon, 79 Michael Villareal, 8c Cameron Dinsmore

Heat 2; 4d Dustin Hurley, 18 Ramon Sevilla, 01 Johnny Johnson, 18s Jarrett Payton, 48 Robert Kelm, 75 Jerry Miller, 15 William Cavender

Heat 3; 38 Josh Sewell, 26br Johnny Torres, 41 Wade Jones, 49k Michael Keylich, 17e Jerry Evans, 21r Eric Ramos, 33 Charles Earnhardt

First Factory Stock Feature for Keylich

As the Beginner Factory Stock feature took the green it was almost three wide in turn 1 for the lead between Kyle Workman, Adam Tracy and Daniel Lopez. As they sorted out it was Workman leading lap 1, Tracy dove low in turn 1 to get by Workman, but slid up allowing Workman and Lopez to get by.

Lopez ducked low off turn 4 to get out front on lap 3 while Hunter Peterson was working his way up to third. Lopez got loose in turn 1 giving Peterson a run to get the along side. Peterson got by Lopez for the lead, but spun in turn 2 on lap 6 giving the spot back to Lopez. Back under green, coming to halfway it was Lopez, Workman, Katherine Keylich, Tracy and Ronnie Sparks in the top five.

Workman snuck past Lopez on the back stretch to lead lap 11 bringing K. Keylich along to second. This left Lopez three wide with Sparks and Peterson coming from the back. K. Keylich was looking low on Workman for the lead when Peterson had his second spin, ending his night.

On the restart, K. Keylich got a run on Workman getting along side and by to in turns 1-2 to lead lap 15. Once out front K. Keylich began to ease away for her first Factory Stock victory in the Double K Landscaping, Jenns Liquor, Keylich Electric, CPU Repair

Beginner Factory Stocks

44k Katherine Keylich, 40k Kyle Workman, 22 Ronnie Sparks, 53 Jack Burch, 9 Alexis Powell, 92r Robert Keylich, 22t Adam Tract]y, 34h Hunter Peterson, 28 Daniel Lopez, 6p Jeremy Hernandez, 6 Gary Butler

Beginner Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 40k Kyle Workman, 22t Adam Tracy, 6 Gary Butler, 34h Hunter Peterson, 92r Robert Keylich, 6p Jeremy Hernandez

Heat 2; 28 Daniel Lopez, 22 Ronnie Sparks, 44k Katherine Keylich, 53 Jack Burch, 9 Alexis Powell

Tuner Sweep for Schoenbaum

In the 20-lap USRA Tuner feature in was Brian Schoenbaum going flag to flag after taking his heat race. The race, that went green to checkers without caution, saw Schoenbaum and Brandon McCall stay side by side through turns 1-2. Schoenbaum got the advantage on the back stretch with McCall, Ryan McDonald, Jamie Garner and Adolph Tracy in the top five.

Schoenbaum quickly began stretching out his lead while Garner and McDonald battled for third. That battle continued throughout the race with the duo going three wide through lapped traffic, swapping the spot. At the white Schoenbaum had a full straight in his Big A's BBQ, Bonham Recovery, Tracys Oil & Gas, Central Cedar, KR Promotions, Rabid Motorsports, five1seven Designs, Twisted iPhones, Superior Steering Wheels, IHFP Clothing, Chevy Cavalier.

The car felt great with the changes I made last week, said Schoenbaum. “Seems like the car is finally back to where it was at the beginning of the year.'

Starting outside pole next to Brandon McCall means that you better be on your A-game coming to the green. He is a tough competitor that isn't afraid to go door to door with you. Got a good jump on the initial start and was able to clear Brandon going into 3. With the potential of the race going wire to wire on a beautiful tacky track it meant that lap traffic would probably play a factor. Thankfully I was able to negotiate lap traffic with ease and had no real challenge for the 20 lap feature.”

I can't thank guys like Rick Saupp, Kaleb Watson and Bondy Cannon for all their help. They are fellow competitors but will drop what they're doing to help me out if needed. You don't see that in other classes.”

Brown Chevrolet USRA Tuners

719 Brian Schoenbaum, 14 Brandon McCall, 33 Jamie Garner, 816 Ryan McDonald, 01 Adolph Tracy, 88 Justin Sitterle, 46 Jonathon Cervantes, 14t Shaun Tracy, 98 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 55r Ryker Hernandez, 2 James Hernandez, 35 Darrel Jones, 11j Josh Jones

USRA Tuner heats

Heat 1, 14 Brandon McCall, 01 Adolph Tracy, 46 Johnathon Cervantes, 88 Justin Sitterle, 98 Ronnie Schoebfeldt, 2 James Hernandez, 35 Darrel Jones

Heat 2; 719 Brian Schoenbaum, 816 Ryan McDonald, 33 Jamie Garner, 14t Shaun Tracy, 55r Ryker Hernandez, 11j Josh Jones

Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts

Senior Division; Cody Clegg, Maddox Jennings, Connor Holt, Zoey Flores

**Peyton Jones(track champion)

Junior Division: Blaine Markgraf(Track champion), Beau Peyton

Youth Division; Tucker Kempe, Cheston Markgraf(track champion), Kaden Rachero, Woody Powell, Cannon Groth, Vasili Hartolifax