I-37 Speedway, 9/12/20

I-37 Speedway, 9/12/20

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Sept 12th, 2020)

After 5+” of rain Wednesday and Thursday Saturday nights show was in doubt due to soggy conditions. After saving one race earlier in the season, the I-37 crew once again did tons of work just to get the show in. Only the Go-Karts were canceled for the night.

Despite the day-long efforts, and reblading the track twice during the nights events, the track still became an issue. After a grinding crash in the USRA Factory Stock feature, that actually had little to do with track conditions, officials decided to call it a night. The Modifieds and USRA Tuners were not able to run their scheduled features.

Countdown to seasons end begins.

After tonight only two more track points races are slated for the five regular I-37 Speedway classes on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, oval near San Antonio. With no other south-central tracks running, drivers from out of town could come in a take away points from regular contenders.

Due to the IMCA Super Nationals in Boone, Ia., the Modifieds ran unsanctioned, but under IMCA rules. Chris Carroll has a large lead over former champ Rick Green and Robert Liese jr. Johnny Melancon and Ryan Doyon have a close(3 point) race for fourth.

Despite losing an engine last time out, Johnny Torres has a nearly insurmountable lead over Ryan Doyon and Talon Minten with Sterling Tausch and Robby Minten battling for fourth in USRA Limited Modifieds.

The USRA Factory Stock points Josh Sewell has a somewhat comfortable margin over over Michael Keylich and Mike Lyon. Jesse Sandoval and Dustin Hurley round out the top five.

Brian Schoenbaum, running for a USRA Tuner National Championship, has a decent lead over former track champ Jamie Garner with Adam Tracy close on his heels. The top five are completed by Brandon McCall and Adolph Tracy.

Frank Okruhlik, in a borrowed car tonight, comes in with over a 100 point lead on Landon Sowder in Late Model points chase. Howie Marcx, Aaron Driscoll and multi-time track champ Trey Votion fill out the remainder of the top five.

Simpson Racing Products IMCA Modifieds

(Canceled due to track conditions)

IMCA Modfied heats

Heat 1; 419 Johnny Melancon, 14t Talon Minten, 24r Robby Minten, 82 Rick Green, 77 Robert Liese jr., 16 Landon Bednarz , 8gII Logan Dinsmore

Heat 2; 15 Chris Carroll, 94 Chris Morris, 5r Ryan Doyon, 53x Chandler Fox, 31m Marlin Samford, 8g Greg Dinsmore

Torres Tallies Again

After losing a motor two weeks ago in the win, Johnny Torres(La Vernia) borrowed a power plant from Rick Pollaro that carried him to another win. As the green waved on the 20-lap USRA Limited Modified feature it was Robby Minten first to turn 1, but nephew Ryan Doyon had the drive off the bottom of turn 2 to take the point. R. Minten, JJ Jennings, Johnny Torres and Steve Whiteaker jr. lined up behind Doyon.

R. Minten brought out an early yellow when slapped the front stretch wall and stalled. On the restart, Torres got by Jennings for second and was quickly on Doyon for the lead. Doyon and Torres were side by side on lap 3 with Torres getting the nose out front on lap 4. Torres finally cleared Doyon while Whiteaker took third from Jennings.

Brian Harbison brought out a yellow after spinning to a stop on the back stretch causing Sterling Tausch to use pit out to escape contact. Once back to green, Whiteaker took second from Doyon and gave Torres a quick look for the lead. Behind the leaders, Cody Beddoe and Dustin Butcher were swapping fourth.

At the crossed flags it was Torres, inching away, Whiteaker, Doyon, Butcher and Beddoe in the top five. Doyon tried to retake second from Whiteaker giving Torres a little breathing room as he hit slower traffic with five to go. With two to go, Torres got slowed by a lapped car giving Whiteaker an opportunity to close in a bit.

Once clear, Torres was able to rebuild a margin on Whiteaker and go on to take the victory in the Scott Ball Racing, Sundowner Performance Diesel, Alamo Hot Rod Parts, 8T1 Construction, All in Designs, Rnminstall.com, South Texas Speedway, Carroll Construction, Billy Bobs Truck Repair, Swenson Racing Shocks, Mission Racing Engines, IRP Chassis.

5f5e95c9270b5__JRP0345(1024x683)(2).jpg.1f7bc47aa1066d08f4a2dd99d7a0cbe2.jpg

I feel like this car is too fast to be sitting in the shop.” said Torres. “I would like to thank Rick Pollaro for letting me use his motor.”

Swenson Racing Products USRA Limited Modifieds

66 Johnny Torres, 89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 5r Ryan Doyon, 90 Dustin Butcher, 96 Jared Maupin, 77 Cody Beddoe, 30k Chris Swenson, 7 Kevin Parker, 3g Gary Hall jr., 31L Sherrill Lewis, 95 Sterling Tausch, 24r Robby Minten, 2 Talon Minten, 26g JJ Jennings, 3x Brian Harbison

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 24r Robby Minten, 26g JJ Jennings, 89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 96 Jared Maupin, 2 Talon Minten, 31L Sherrill Lewis, 3g Gary Hall jr., 3x Brian Harbison

Heat 2; 5r Ryan Doyon, 66 Johnny Torres, 90 Dustin Butcher, 30k Chris

Swenson, 77 Cody Beddoe, 7 Kevin Parker, 95 Sterling Tausch

Campbell Cashes for First Late Model Win

After losing the engine in his IMCA Modified earlier in the year, Jamie Campbell(La Vernia) jumped in the Jamie Fuller owned Late Model and has had a quick learning curve. In the 15-lap feature Campbell got out front of Frank Okruhlik, driving a borrowed car, and began to ease away. In the early stages Trey Votion and Landon Sowder battled for third as the lead duo checked out.

At halfway it was Campbell, Okruhlik, Sowder, Votion and Matt Fox in the top five. Campbell continued to distance himself from Okruhlik pulling out to a half track advantage as the white flag waved in the caution free event. He carried that margin to his first Late Model victory in the JGR, Reflective Wrecker, Swenson Racing Shocks, HD Landscapes, All Texas Pool Covers, crate powered, Rayburn Chassis.

The car was pretty much perfect from the time we unloaded it tonight,” said Campbell.All we did was put some fuel in for the feature. I really want to thank Brandon Brzozowski and Kody Hardage for talking Jamie Fuller into letting me pilot this rocket ship! I learned a lot from both of them about late models when I helped them on the STLMS tour races. I plan on going to Edna next Saturday for the STLMS race there.”

5f5e95ee3a9cc__JRP0176(1024x683)(2).jpg.dea31600ccf1200670e34a45cb959038.jpg

I also want to thank Don Brown, Lew Lewis, my girl friend Stephanie and my parents for their help and support.”

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

29 Jamie Campbell, 108 Frank Okruhlik, 08 Landon Sowder, 99 Trey Votion, 53x Matt Fox, 17a Adrian Awalt, 13 Howie Marcx, 95 Jerry Jones---dns

Late Model heats

Heat 1; 29 Jamie Campbell, 108 Frank Okruhlik, 08 Landon Sowder, 99 Trey Votion, 53x Matt Fox, 17a Adrian Awalt, 95 Jerry Jones, 13 Howie Marcx

Torres Takes Two

After taking the USRA Limited Modified win, Johnny Torres picked up win number two of the night being awarded the win in the shortened USRA Factory Stock feature. As the 22-car field took the green it was GW Hessong and Mike Lyon staying door to door until Hessong got run off the bottom of turn 2 to get the spot. Torres got by Lyon, who fell in line third chased by Josh Sewell and Jerry Miller.

Torres got along side, then by, Hessong to lead lap 2 with Cameron Dinsmore getting squeezed into the wall going four wide with Charles Earnhardt, Jarrett Payton and Kyle Kirkland. All continued without caution. A debris caution on lap 4 slowed the action with Dustin Hurley and Wade Jones getting past Miller on the restart.

A restart cone got kicked onto the track for another quick yellow. Back to green the top three cleared the pack that was three wide from fourth on back. As the leaders crossed the line at halfway showing Torres, Hessong, Lyon, Sewell and Hurley in the top five, Wade Jones got turned into the front stretch wall after contact with Jerry Miller.

This set up a hard hitting, grinding crash that caught up Dinsmore, Kirkland, Michael Keylich, Jesse Sandoval and a couple others that had minor contact. Miller was knocked out briefly when EMT's arrived on scene. He was able to wave to the crowd while being extricated and loaded for transport. Everyone else was sore, but alright and a couple cars are junked.

If that wasn't enough, while everyone was stopped under red on the back stretch a small fire broke out, which Ata-Bexar Fire Department extinguished. With the time, length of clean up and ever deteriorating track conditions, officials decided to call the race complete and end the night totally. People were given discount coupons for a future race and USRA Tuners are scheduled for double features on 9/26.

With the race called complete, Torres in the Preferred Motors, Scott Ball Racing, Batek & Robinson Law Offices, Mission Auto Parts, Lazer Chassis went home with the victory.

Scott Ball and Todd Robinson bought this Lazer car to run in the Beginner Factory class and I’m having a blast with it. I’d like to thank them for trusting me with it.”

All in Design USRA Factory Stocks

10 Johnny Torres, 747 GW Hessong, 20 Mike Lyon, 38 Josh Sewell, 4d Dustin Hurley, 41 Wade Jones, 75 Jerry Miller, 23 Kyle Kirkland, 15 Ray Doyon, 344 Cody Tesch, 44c Cord Beard, 49k Michael Keylich, 23k Kasey Krauss, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 18s Jarrett Payton, 01 Johnny Johnson, 41t Elgin Tracy, 33h Cody Henderson, 33 Charles Earnhardt II, 133 Megan Dodson, 18 Ramon Sevilla

USRA Factory Stock B-main(top 10 to A-main)

344 Cody Tesch, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 33h Cody Henderson, 33 Charles Earnhardt II, 15 Ray Doyon III, 18 Ramon Sevilla, 133 Megan Dodson, 23 Kyle Kirkland, 41t Elgin Tracy, 01 Johnny Johnson, 22p Jeremy Hernandez, 36 George Quintanilla, 76 Michael Carlock, 24j Frank Okruhlik---dns, 98 William Saunders---dns

Factory Stock heats(top 4 to A-main

Heat 1; 747 GW Hessong, 38 Josh Sewell, 41 Wade Jones, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 18 Ramon Sevilla, 36 George Quintanilla, 98 William Saunders, 22p Jeremy Hernandez

Heat 2; 20 Mike Lyon, 23k Kasey Krauss, 4d Dustin Hurley, 18s Jarrett Payton, 344 Cody Tesch, 23 Kyle Kirkland, 76 Michael Carlock, 01 Johnny Johnson, 24j Frank OKruhlik

Heat 3; 10x Johnny Torres, 75 Jerry Miller, 49k Michael Keylich, 44c Cord Beard, 33 Charles Earnhardt III, 133 Megan Dodson, 41t Elgin Tracy, 33h Cody Henderson, 15 Ray Doyon

Peterson Picks Up First Payday

Hunter Peterson(San Marcos) grabbed his first ever feature win in the 15-lap Beginner Factory Stock feature, in only his third try. As green waved it was Julio Reyes jumping out front trailed by Peterson, Kyle Workman, Katherine Keylich and Robert Keylich. Peterson got by Reyes off turn 4 to lead lap 2 while Ronnie Sparks and Daniel Lopez got by Adam Tracy for fifth and sixth.

Workman followed Peterson past Reyes leaving Lopez, K. Keylich and Reyes three wide for third. Sparks and K. Keylich made contact that put K. Keylich out, and Sparks a lap later with a flat right front. Peterson would build a half straightaway margin over Workman as he took the checkers.

Beginner Factory Stocks

44 Hunter Peterson, 40k Kyle Workman, 28 Daniel Lopez, 10 Scott Ball, 92r Robert Keylich, 22t Adam Tracy, 53 Jack Burch, 24j Julio Reyes, 22 Ronnie Sparks, 44k Katherine Keylich

Beginner Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 24j Julio Reyes, 40k Kyle Workman, 22t Adam Tracy, 53 Jack Burch, 28 Daniel Lopez

Heat 2; 44 Hunter Peterson, 44k Katherine Keylich, 22 Ronnie Sparks, 10 Scott Ball, 92r Robert Keylich

Brown Chevrolet USRA Tuners

(Canceled due to track conditions)

USRA Tuner heats

Heat 1; 719 Brian Schoenbaum, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 33 Jamie Garner, 46 Johnathon Cervantes, 14t Shaun Tracy , 2 James Hernandez, 11j Josh Jones, 01 Adolph Tracy

Heat 2; 38 Kirk Ball, 816 Ryan McDonald, 14 Brandon McCall, 55r Ryker Hernandez, 35 Darrel Jones, t14 Taylor Stewart, 21 Kennedy Meeks, 4x Aaron Tipton