Texas Dirt Truck Series, IMCA Fast Shafts Qualifier @ I-37 Speedway 8-29-20

Texas Dirt Truck Series, IMCA Fast Shafts Qualifier @ I-37 Speedway 8-29-20

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Aug 29th, 2020) Saturday night saw the return of the Texas Dirt Series to the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt oval near Pleasanton. This will mark the third visit for TDTS with Ryan Doyon pretty much dominating at this track with three wins. Tony Bernal and Russ Parker have also picked up victories other tracks.

For the IMCA Modifieds it was a 2021 Fast Shafts All-Star qualifier paying off at $1,000 to win, plus a $100 hard charger award all courtesy of Sundowner Performance Diesel. Winning a Fast Shafts All-Star qualifier is an opportunity to run the Fast Shafts All-Star race during the IMCA Super Nationals held annually at Boone Speedway(Iowa).

After last weeks double points race some drivers pulled ahead of the pack, while other lost positions. In IMCA Modifieds(regular points) the top five of Chris Carrroll, Rick Green, Robert Liese jr., Johnny Melancon and Ryan Doyon all held their spots.

In USRA Limited Modifieds Johnny Torres increased his margin on Talon Minten and Ryan Doyon. Sterling Tausch lost ground after an on-track incident but maintained fourth over Robby Minten.

Frank Okruhlik stretched his margin over Landon Sowder in Late Models winning last time out. Howie Marcx, Aaron Driscoll and Trey Votion hold the other spots in the top five

USRA Factory Stocks saw the biggest shake up in points with Josh Sewell gaining points on Michael Keylich and Jesse Sandoval after both had tire issues in the feature two weeks ago. Mike Lyon jumped past Sandoval for third while Dustin Hurley cracked the top five.

The USRA Tuner class the top five of Brian Schoenbaum, Adam Tracy, Jamie Garner, Brandon McCall and Adolph Tracy held their top five spots.

Modified Money to Morris, After Tech

It's been a long road to recovery this year for Chris Morris after additional back surgery sidelined the Taylor, Tx. driver following a great 2019 season in his hand controlled IMCA Modified. After the redraw it was Jared Maupin leading the 13-car field into turn 1 for their 20-lap A-main. Morris followed with Rick Green, Ryan Doyon and Logan Dinsmore lining up behind him.

The field quickly strung out as the top was the dominant groove. L. Dinsmore pitted from fifth handing spot to Chris Swenson. Quickly at halfway, Maupin, Morris, Green, Doyon and Swenson still held the spots. Morris was able to close in on Maupin as the leaders hit traffic, but Maupin was able ease back out once clear.

Doyon was able to get past Green for third leaving him wheel to wheel with Swenson for fourth. Once clear of traffic, Maupin was able inch ahead to take checkers. But Maupin would fail post-race tech giving the victory to Morrris in his ACM Services, AMT Concrete, Austin Cutting and Coring, Tina Reagan Realty, Alex Shenkin with Fiesta Spices, Opifex equipment, Truform products, Chad Wehrs with Wehrs Machine, Barnsco, Trackmaster, Bet All Racing, Maxwell Medical Supplies, and Fred Summers Faith, Family, and Fast.

The track still had some bite in it around the top and was really fast,” commented Morris. “We knew Jared(Maupin) was gonna be fast. We were able to close the gap on him a few times and got right up to him before the caution came out. Just ran out of laps after that. Unfortunately for him they got him in tech for not having the right carb spacer which gave us the win.”

Simpson Racing Products IMCA Modifieds

94 Chris Morris, 5r Ryan Doyon, 83 Chris Swenson, 24r Robby Minten, 82 Rick Green, 15 Chris Carroll, 77 Robert Liese jr., 53 Matt Fox, 419 Johnny Melancon, 31m Marlin Samford, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 8gII Logan Dinsmore, bd1 Jared Maupin—DQ(tech), 14t Talon Minten---dns

5f4c2b590ed4c__SRP1875(1024x678)(2).jpg.1d73667be4ed90462cc8f72f1c1fdc11.jpg

IMCA Modfied heats

Heat 1; 5r Ryan Doyon, 77 Robert Liese jr., 53 Chandler Fox, 94 Chris Morris, 419 Johnny Melancon, 24r Robby Minten, 31m Marlin Samford

Heat 2; 82 Rick Green, bd1 Jared Maupin, 83 Chris Swenson, 15 Chris Carroll, 8gII Logan Dinsmore, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 14t Talon Minten--dns

Torres Tally Costly in Limited Modified

The 20-lap USRA Limited Modified feature saw Ryan Doyon get off turn 2 with the lead while Johnny Torres, Talon Minten and Roly Rodriguez were three wide for second. As they sorted out JJ Jennings, Art Rodriguez and Sherrill Lewis were three abreast for sixth. Torres put a slide job on Doyon in turns 3-4 to snag the top spot on lap 5 while T. Minten pulled off from third.

After a stack up on a restart, R. Rodriguez was side by side with Doyon for second. Jennings made a move past Rusty Head and R. Rodriguez for third. R. Rodriguez then lost spots to Head and A. Rodriguez coming to halfway, as Torres stretched out his lead over Doyon.

With three laps to go, Torres car started to show some death smoke, but still had a margin back to Doyon and Jennings fighting for second. As Torres(La Vernia) took the white flag the engine really laid down, but he was able to limp it home for the win in the Scott Ball Racing, Sundowner Performance Diesel, Alamo Hot Rod Parts, 8T1 Construction, All in Designs, Rnminstall.com, South Texas Speedway, Carroll Construction, Billy Bobs Truck Repair, Swenson Racing Shocks, Mission Racing Engines, IRP Chassis.

5f4c2b749c266__SRP1777(1024x678)(2).jpg.acfc37d4c34a7be1a8616b6967ce1b6f.jpg

It's killed,” said Torres. “I was lucky enough to have a big enough lead that I could hold on for the win. I was running the bottom to try to shorten the last laps. I keep thinking about the movie Cars where the one car is limping along and everyone is speeding past and he finally sticks his tongue out to cross the finish line.”

Swenson Racing Products USRA Limited Modifieds

66 Johnny Torres, 26 JJ Jennings, 5r Ryan Doyon, 55 Rusty Head, 12r Roly Rodriguez, 7 Kevin Parker, 31L Sherrill Lewis, 24r Robby Minten, 30k Art Rodriguez, 2 Talon Minten, 96 Jared Maupin---dns

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 12r Roly Rodriguez, 2 Talon Minten, 7 Kevin Parker, 96 Jared Maupin, 26 JJ Jennings, 31L Sherrill Lewis

Heat 2; 5r Ryan Doyon, 66 Johnny Torres, 55 Rusty Head, 30k Art Rodriguez, 234r Robby MInten

Brzozowski Brings Home Late Model Loot

Brandon Brzozowski(San Antonio) grabbed another win the 20-lap Late Model Feature pretty much going flag to flag. At the start Jason Kelly was first into turn 1, but Brzozowski, on the top, powered his way by on the back stretch. Kelly, Frank Okruhlik, Jamie Campbell and Landon Sowder took up pursuit.

After a series of early spins and restarts, Okruhlik and Sowder battled for second. Okruhlik was finally able to secure the spot bringing Campbell along to third. A red waved at halfway for a dog wandering on the track showing Brzozowski, Okruhlik, Campbell, Matt Fox and Howie Marcx in the top five.

Once back to green, Brzozowski and Okruhlik checked out from the field to settle it among themselves. By lap 15 Brzozowski was putting distance on Okruhlik going on to grab the checkers by a half straightaway in his Billy Bobs Tire & Repair, Lone Star Pressure Equipment, Shaeffers Racing Oil, Texas Industrial Radiator, The Trash Can Cleaners, MoBags Suspension, Magnum by Nilfisk, All in Designs, Boogey Lights, Pressure Pro, 602 crate powered Rocket XR1 Chassis.

We tried some different things on the car last night trying to get it faster.”said Brzozowski. “I Don’t know that we really got any faster but we learned some stuff. Johnny Brown and his track prep crew did a lot of work to the track. They put dirt back on it and increased the banking quite a bit. Especially down in turn 1-2. With the way they watered the top, the bottom never came in as a racing groove for us. So we setup to race the top for the feature and it paid off. I think if they water the bottom equally next race they will have 2 awesome grooves of racing with that improved banking. The track was definitely fun to race on.”

I would like to thank Byrne and Scott for all their help getting the car ready and helping at the track to make changes. I’ve never had this much help in my racing career and it’s been really nice to have 2 guys helping at the shop and track.”

I would also like to thank my wife and girls for supporting me and cheering me on. Last but not least I would like to thank the fans and all the sponsor who support dirt track racing across Texas. Without the fans and sponsors none of us could have the fun we do in these cars.”

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

104 Brandon Brzozowski, 99f Frank Okruhlik, 53x Matt Fox, 108 Alton Fambro, 13 Howie Marcx, 95m Jeff Markert, 95 Jerry Jones, 29 Jamie Campbell, 08 Landon Sowder, 57 Jason Kelly, 17 Adrian Awalt, 007 Aaron Driscoll

Late Model heats

Heat 1; 57 Jason Kelly, 53 Matt Fox, 08 Landon Sowder, 007 Aaron Driscoll, 17a Adrian Awalt, 95 Jerry Jones

Heat 2; 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 99f Frank Okruhlik, 29 Jamie Campbell, 108 Alton Fambro, 13 Howie Marcx, 95m Jeff Markert

Three-peat for Payton

Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're good, sometimes you're in the right place at the right time.

As the 'scheduled' 20-lap, 23-car USRA Factory stock took the green it was Johnny Torres jumping out front chased by Mike Lyon, Jesse Sandoval, William Saunders and Anthony Gordon. Robert Kelm broke and stopped to bring out a yellow. Under caution Torres was checked for leaking fuel and pulled off. This handed the lead over to Lyon for the lap 4 restart.

Saunders and Sandoval stayed side by side for second until Sandoval got the spot leaving Gordon, Jarrett Payton and Saunders were three wide for third. Michael Keylich joined that scrap going four wide. As that fight sorted out, Cameron Dinsmore, using the top, got by Saunders and Gordon. A Jerry Miller spin slowed the action.

Lyon, the leader, was called for jumping the restart between the cones and as yellow came out Gordon and Sandoval got stacked up sending both to the hot pits with flats. As time constraints closed in the race was cut to 15-laps with Payton now out front on the restart. Keylich tried to make a move back under green and got clipped by Saunders collecting Riley Heil, Wade Jones and Sandoval.

On the next restart, Keylich tried low on Dismore, but slipped up allowing Dustin Hurley to sneak by for third while points leader Josh Sewell made it up to fifth. Jones would loop it in turn 2 after contact with Sandoval. This set up a green, white, checker on time limit. As Payton got away, Hurley was looking low on Dinsmore as Sewell tried high on Keylich. This gave Payton a clear path to the checkers in his self funded, crate powered, Outlaw Chassis

All in Design USRA Factory Stocks

18s Jarrett Payton, 4d Dustin Hurley, 49k Michael Keylich, 38 Josh Sewell, 33 Charles Earnhart, 133 Megan Dotson, 76 Michael Carlock, 20 Mike Lyon, 23 Kyle Kirkland, 98 William Saunders, 75 Jerry Miller, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 385 Albert Medillin, 41 Wade Jones, 30 Riley Heil, 30m Anthony Gordon, 41t Elgin Tracy, 23k Kasey Krauss, 01 Johnny Johnson, 10 Johnny Torres, 22 Robert Kelm, 15 Ray Doyon, 8c Cameron Dinsmore—DQ(scale), 36 George Quintanilla---dns

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 20 Mike Lyon, 30m Anthony Gordon, 15 Ray Doyon, 23k Kasey Krauss, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 38 Josh Sewell, 41 Wade Jones, 01 Johnny Johnson

Heat 2; 10 Johnny Torres, 98 William Saunders, 4d Dustin Hurley, 33 Charles Earnhardt, 133 Megan Dotson, 22 Robert Kelm, 36 George Quintanilla, 30 Riley Heil

Heat 3; 7 Jesse Sandoval, 18s Jarrett Payton, 49k Michael Keylich, 23 Kyle Kirkland, 76 Michael Carlock, 385 Albert Medillin, 75 Jerry Miller, 41t Elgin Tracy

Ball Bags Beginner Factory Stock Win

At the start of the 10-lap Beginner Factory Stock feature former IHRA champion Scott Ball, Kyle Workman and Daniel Lopez, who made extensive repairs after losing a water pump before hot laps, were three wide for the lead. Ball came out on top chased by Lopez, Workman, Hunter Peterson and Treyler Caulfield.

Ball and Lopez got away after contact between Workman and Peterson cost them track position. As the white flag waved Ball(San Antonio) had a four car length margin on Lopez taking the checkers in the Preferred Motors, Scott Ball Racing, Mission Auto Parts, Lazer Chassis. His first circle track adventure after years of drag racing.

I did a lot better than I expected,” replied Ball. “Circle track racing is a lot more work for sure. I just love competition. It was a lot of fun. Johnny Torres set it up and Steve Whiteaker prepped his track Friday, we went and practiced.”

Beginner Factory Stocks

10 Scott Ball, 28 Daniel Lopez, 40k Kyle Workman, 44 Hunter Peterson, 53 Treyler Caulfield

Beginner Factory Stock heat; 40k Kyle Workman,; 10 Scott Ball, 53 Treyler Caulfield, 44 Hunter Peterson, 28 Daniel Lopez---dns

Grimes Grabs His First Texas Dirt Truck Series Trophy

Former Asphalt Late Model and I-37 Speedway Late Model track champion proved again how versatile he is going wire to wire for his first TDTS victory. On the start, Grimes got off turn 2 with the lead trailed by Ryan Doyon, Tony Bernal, Russ Parker and Johnny Brown. On a restart Doyon challenged for the lead, but Grimes held him off.

Working up through the pack was multi-time, IMCA National Champion Keith White, getting around Bernal for fourth. Parker and Doyon made contact battling for second collecting White in the process. All were able to continue with Parker sent to the back. Doyon again pressured Grimes on the restart with Bernal getting back by White.

Three separate spins, in three different corners slowed the pace at half with Grimes, Doyon, Bernal, Parker and White in the top five. The final half saw Grimes open up a lead over Doyon and cruise to victory in his Mike Tracy owned, A&W Truck Sales, Shepards Race Engines, ARTS Chassis.

A huge thank you to my truck owner Mike Tracy and sponsor A&W Truck Sales for the opportunity to drive it for them, said Grimes. “I really enjoy getting the opportunity to work on and figure out how to make all the different type of racecars better after all the cars I've worked on over the years.”

Texas Dirt Truck Series

22t Tommy Grimes, 5r Ryan Doyon, 81 Tony Bernal, 96 Keith White, 3 Larry Baggett, 1 Johnny Brown, 28 Russ Parker, 4 Treyler Caulfield, 01t BJ Tracy, 11 Adam Tracy, 93 Aaron Leddy

TDTS Heats

Heat 1; 1 Johnny Brown, 81 Tony Bernal, 93 Aaron Leddy, 4 Treyler Cauylfield, 01t BJ Tracy, 96 Keith White

Heat 2; 5r Ryan Doyon, 22 Tommy Grimes, 28 Russ Parker, 11 Adam Tracy, 3 Larry Baggett

Two-in-a-Row for Garner in Tuners

After a dismal 2020 start, defending track champ Jamie Garner said “One win is all you need to turn things around.” Garner backed up last weeks win going green to checkers in the 20-lap USRA Tuner feature. Garner and Kirk Ball stayed door to door until Garner edged out front. Ball fell in line second with Brandon McCall, Adam Tracy and Adolph Tracy in tow.

Ball and McCall then battled for second as Ryan McDonald got by the Tracy's for third. Points leader Brian Schoenbaum then took a spot from Ada. Tracy who got run high while lapping Shaun Tracy. Schoenbaum picked off two more spots getting by McDonald and Ball for third. The leaders started hitting heavy traffic coming to halfway showing Garner, McCall, Schoenbaum, Ada. Tracy and McDonald in the top five.

McDonald and Schoenbaum went three wide splitting lapped cars with Ball getting fifth from Ada. Tracy. Ada. Tracy got into Ball who tagged McDonald for a lap 14 caution. Ada. Tracy brought out the red on the restart after a fire in the engine compartment. Garner got away on green with McCall and Schoenbaum staying side by side.

Justin Sitterle was able to take fourth from Ado. Tracy as laps clicked off. With the white flag in the air, Garner had five car lengths on McCall and was able to take home the back to back victory in his VW Sirocco.

Brown Chevrolet USRA Tuners

33 Jamie Garner, 14 Brandon McCall, 719 Brian Schoenbaum, 88 Justin Sitterle, 01 Adolph Tracy, 816 Ryan McDonald, 950 Charles Oebel, 11j Josh Jones, 13 Hanna Miller, 55r Ryker Hernandez, 35 Darrel Jones, 21 Kennedy Meeks, 34 Adam Tracy, 38 Kirk Ball, 2 James Hernandez, 14t Shaun Tracy

USRA Tuner heats

Heat 1; 38 Kirk Ball, 34 Adam Tracy, 816 Ryan McDonald, 719 Brian Schoenbaum, 88 Justin Sitterle, 14t Shaun Tracy, 13 Hanna Miller, 55r Ryker Hernandez

Heat 2; 33 Jamie Garner, 14 Brandon McCall, 01 Adolph Tracy, 950 Charles Oebel, 11j Josh Jones, 35 Darrel Jones, 2 James Hernandez, 21 Kennedy Meeks