Tiffany Vogel thriving in new role as Race Director at HMP

For immediate release:
TSTRS Public Relations
Tel: 713-907-0906

Tiffany Vogel thriving in new role as Race Director at Houston Motorsports Park
Longtime race official digs in to keep program flowing smoothly

HOUSTON, Texas (Aug. 18, 2020) — Of all the roles in the act of officiating and conducting a night of asphalt short track racing, the job of Race Director easily carries the most stress. That person makes the final calls on all on-track incidents and works to ensure the program runs like a clock.

For longtime race official Tiffany Vogel, the workload and stress is all just part of the package. This tougher-than-nails Texas native has literally been around racing since she was in diapers. She started working at the now-defunct Longhorn Speedway early on, and has earned this opportunity.

“I think my debut last Saturday night went off pretty well,” Vogel said. “We finished the program at 9:40 p.m., so I was extremely proud of that part. I can't expect our fans to endure long delays. I really enjoyed the experience and am hoping the rest of our season goes just as smoothly.”

Vogel's background in the sport is extensive, having attended her first race at the famed Longhorn. It wasn't long before she was part of the team there, and the rest, as they say, is history.

“I started out selling 50/50 tickets and programs at Longhorn,” Vogel explained. “I also served as the Trophy Queen for 10 years at Thunderhill Raceway, then worked in scoring at Longhorn and at Central Texas Speedway in Kyle. I've flagged a couple of races, as well, and have driven the pace car.”

There aren't too many jobs at the track left that Vogel hasn't handled, with one major exception.

“The only job I hadn't held up until now was Race Director, and that opportunity is here,” Vogel added. “My parents helped run Longhorn when I was young, and my cousins, uncles and grandfather all raced back in the day. Short track racing is in my blood, I just love working in this great sport.”

In her first night as Race Director, Vogel had an extra set of eyes helping her keep track of the action. While race teams have spotters, she had an assistant on the backstretch to watch all angles.

“It helped me tremendously,” Vogel said without hesitation. “It's hard to see everything all the time; you'll have a battle up front and some tussles back in the pack at the same moment. I can't watch the entire oval at the same time every second. That second set of eyes made calls a whole lot easier.”

Vogel is part of a special team at Houston Motorsports Park. Together, under general manager and promoter Gina Schild-Knowles, that team collectively delivers the magic for race fans in Houston. This special team includes Mason Mitchell, Rodney Rodriguez, Don Armstrong, Denny Burton, Todd Kempken, Meridith Makie Bahnsen, Debbie Berry, Sandy Berry, Taylor Knowles, Michael Crofford, Larry Schild, Caden Schild, Travis Knowles and David Corbello, along with Bo & Gina Knowles.

Schild-Knowles and her staff also welcome Megan Barker to the staff. Barker, son of Outlaw division racer Robert Barker, is now an official scorer at HMP and says she's enjoying the new job.

“I had been helping the scorers for a few years now, but am very excited to actually be an official in the tower,” Barker said. “We didn't have any hiccups last week, so I'm pleased with the way it went. I'm proud that Gina has the confidence in my skills, and I'm proud to be a part of this team.”

Vogel, a friend of Barker for many years, summed up that great atmosphere at HMP in 2020.

“I've known Gina and Mason for years, plus I've known our announcer, Rodney Rodriguez, since he was racing himself out at Longhorn Speedway. We're all like family here. I love working with these folks, and love a chance to keep the show running smoothly. If that happens, I've done my job.”

About Texas Short Track Racing Series/NASCAR Houston

The Texas Short Track Racing Series is an asphalt oval racing series based in Houston, Texas, competing at Houston Motorsports Park. Texas Asphalt Racing Promotions, LLC, manages advertising and sponsorship opportunities for the series. To learn more, follow the series on Facebook at www.facebook.com/nascarhouston.

Fans who love NASCAR and short tracks should also bookmark www.NASCARHouston.com to stay abreast of the latest news as it happens.

About Houston Motorsports Park

Houston Motorsports Park is an auto racing complex that includes a 3/8 mile NASCAR-sanctioned paved oval and an NHRA-sanctioned 1/8 mile drag strip. For more information, please go to www.houstonmotorsportspark.com.

Tiffany Vogel.jpg

TSTRS Logo.jpg