Double Points Night @ I-37 Speedway, 8-15-20

Double Points Night @ I-37 Speedway, 8-15-20

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Aug. 15Th, 2020)

As the 2020 season winds down, wait a minute, didn't it just start or was that the restart? But I digress.

It's was Double Points Night Saturday as action resumed on the ¼ mile, semi banked, dirt oval just outside Pleasanton. With extra points up or grabs it gave drivers the chance to catch up with the points leaders, or to distance themselves from the rest of the field.

Extra cash was on the line for the IMCA Modifieds put up by Chris Carroll/Covid 19 Mobile Testing Unit. $500 was spread out among the top 10, making it $675 to win.

IMCA Modifieds show Chris Carroll leading the way with a 32 point margin over defending track champ, Rick Green. Robert Liese jr., Johnny Melanacon and Ryan Doyon round out the top five.

In the USRA Limited Modifieds it's multi-time, multi-class track champion Johnny Torres on top by nearly 100 over Talon Minten and Ryan Doyon with Sterling Tausch and Robby Minten fourth and fifth.

The Late Model class has another former track champ, Frank Okruhlik showing the way by 55 markers over Landon Sowder. Aaron Driscoll and Howie Marcx are within a point in the battle for third, while multi-time Late Model track champ Trey Votion is fifth.

USRA Factory Stocks are the tightest points battle of the classes. Josh Sewell is ahead of Jesse Sandoval by 16 and 20 over Michael Keylich. Former Street Stock track champ Mike Lyon holds down fourth over George Quintanilla.

Coming into the night with five wins, Brian Schoenbaum leads the group of USRA Tuners. Adam Tracy, defending track champ Jamie Garner, Brandon McCall and Adolph Tracy complete the top five.

Something new ay I-37 Speedway starting this weekend for the USRA Factory Stocks. A second Factory Stock will be added for inexperienced/new drivers coming into the class. The purpose is to give them more seat time before trying to compete against a tough class of Factory Stocks. The Beginner Factory Stocks will run their own feature and have their own payout. The one caveat, any driver winning three Beginner Factory Stock features will be moved up automatically.

Dinsmore Dashing in Modified Main

A lucky 13-cars started the IMCA Modified 20-lap main that saw Marlin Samford spin in turn 2 collecting Johnny Melancon. The second start had Greg Dinsmore getting out front ahead on Chandler Fox, Logan Dinsmore and Rick Green, Ryan Doyon, Robert Liese three wide for fourth. Green went around in turn 3 with Ronnie Bell going over the hill to miss him.

5f39aea80db2b__SRP1443(1024x678)(2).jpg.b653c2d1fbcefc2726c99fc571a3e9d3.jpg

On the restart L. Dinsmore got past Fox for second bringing Doyon and Liese along to third and fourth. Doyon was then able to take second from L. Dinsmore as Chris Carroll took fourth from Liese. After restarts for a Fox and Robby Minten spins, Doyon gave G. Dinsmore a look low but at halfway it was G. Dinsmore, Doyon, Carroll, L. Dinsmore and Bell in the top five.

Carroll moved in to battle with Doyon for second while Green worked his way back up taking fifth from Bell. Carroll was able to get by Doyon for second and got a caution to close on G. Dinsmore with three to go. G. Dinsmore got out with Carroll having to fend off Doyon for second. G. Dinsmore(Kerrville) in his Sundowner Performance Diesel, Jimmys Towing, AFCO, Sanderson Motorsports, Wehrs, Stealth, Swenson Racing Products, Friesen crate powered, BMS Chassis inched ahead for the victory.

“It's a little pressure starting up front. You figure if you start up there, you should get it(win.) You could find the wrong groove, be the slowest guy on the track and not know until someone flies around you. You start seeing who's coming up behind under cautions, and there was a lot. Every time I'd feel like I was getting my legs stretched, a caution would come out. Then you think, does he have another line, do I need to search around.”

“I felt like the car was decent, a little tight in the center. Other than that it was good. It could off the corner awesome, but couldn't get through the center. It was picking the left front up and washing the nose out. I had to wait to get back in the throttle. I had knock the car loose on entry and let it roll the corner. It had crazy dig, it was fast.”

“I didn't see anyone's nose on restarts, but I kept hearing he(Ryan Doyon) was back there. He's got a new car and getting it figured out. He's come along way in the Modified class.”

“When Chris(Carroll) pulled along side under that last yellow I knew he was screwing with me and trying to get me to mess up.” added Dinsmore jokingly. “He likes to try to rattle me. It's one of those 'oh buddy' things. I want to thank him and Covid19 Mobile Testing Unit for adding money to our purse.”

Simpson Racing Products IMCA Modifieds

8g Greg Dinsmore, 15 Chris Carroll, 5r Ryan Doyon, 8gII Logan Dinsmore, 82 Rick Green, 77 Robert Liese jr., 95 Ronnie Bell, 14t Talon Minten, 419 Johnny Melancon, 31m Marlin Samford, 53x Chandler Fox, 24r Robby Minten, 151 Chris Jones

IMCA Modfied heats

Heat 1; 8g Greg Dinsmore, 8gII Logan Dinsmore, 77 Robert Liese jr., 82 Rick Green, 95 Ronnie Bell, 24r Robby Minten, 419 Johnny Melancon

Heat 2; 5r Ryan Doyon, 15 Chris Carroll, 14t Talon Minten, 53x Chandler Fox, 31m Marlin Samford, 151 Chris Jones

Whiteaker Wins Wild One

Between on-track and online Johnny Torres and Steve Whiteaker jr. have had a long standing, friendly battle, along with being two of south Texas' best Limited Modified drivers and the 20-lap USRA Limited Modified feature proved it once again.

The duo stayed side by side on lap 1 with Torres getting the edge on Whiteaker followed by Ryan Doyon, Talon Minten and Cody Beddoe. Whiteaker was able to wrestle the lead away from Torres on lap 3, but slipped too high in turns 3-4 giving the spot back to Torres on lap 5. On a restart for a Kevin Parker spin, T. Minten and Doyon got by Whiteaker for second and third.

As T. Minten and Doyon continued their family squabble, Caleb Hudgeons, Whiteaker and Beddoe were three wide for fourth. Coming the halfway point it was Torres, Doyon, T. Minten, Whiteaker and Beddoe in the top five. Whiteaker was able to work his way past T. Minten and Doyon for second, but was half a straightaway back.

Alvin Featherston made contact with Whiteaker while being lapped sending him around. Featherston tried to exit, but missed pit out, backed up and was drilled by Sterling Tausch for a red. Both drivers were alright, but done for the night, maybe longer with both cars having extensive damage.

This set up a four lap shootout that didn't disappoint the fans. Torres and Whiteaker got away with Doyon and T. Minten again wheel to wheel, but for third. Whiteaker took the low line in turns 1-2 to get along side Torres. They were side by side with Whiteaker reclaiming the top spot on lap 18.

It was a classic high side, low side battle until Whiteaker finally got a slight advantage. Whiteaker(Corpus Christi) in his D&SS Construction, First Class Towing Service, Parker Lee Project, Cottrell Racing, South Texas Speedway, Churches Chicken, G&M Oilfield Services, WW bodies, Dark Horse Racing Shocks, Best Race Engines, Innovative Chassis would hold Torres off for the win.

5f39aed0cfeef__SRP1293(1024x678)(2).jpg.08f08d7be7a17556ab7a74773516b330.jpg

“It was another good battle between Johnny(Torres) and I,” said Whiteaker. “I got the lead early and made a mistake and Johnny was able to capitalize on it. I was frustrated that I made a mistake and that when the caution came out I should have been the leader. It took me while to cool down and gather myself under that red.”

“The top kind of went away so I patiently ran around the bottom and Johnny was just a sitting duck. Me and Johnny always have fun. It's easier for me because I come out on the winning side most of the time. We have a lot of friendly competition and talk a lot of smack. It definitely makes it fun.”

“The track was really good tonight, slick top to bottom and that allows you to race multiple grooves. It's just a good time all around.”

Swenson Racing Products USRA Limited Modifieds

89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 66 Johnny Torres, 5r Ryan Doyon, 2 Talon Minten, 77 Cody Beddoe, 90 Caleb Hudgeons, 9 Robby Minten, 7 Kevin Parker, 95 Sterling Tausch, 86 Alvin Featherston, 22m Anthony Gordon

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 66 Johnny Torres, 5r Ryan Dyon, 77 Cody Beddoe, 86 Alvin Featherston, 22m Anthony Gordon, 7 Kevin Parker

Heat 2; 89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 2 Talon Minten, 9 Robby Minten, 90 Caleb Hudgeons, 95 Sterling Tausch

Okruhlik Overcomes Late Mistake for Late Model Win

The 20-lap Late Model feature started with Jason Kelly getting to turn 1 first, but Frank Okruhlik made a run off turn 2. Coming off turn 4 Okruhlik had a run up top as Kelly came up the two made a little contact, but Okruhlik let off to avoid a crash. Okruhlik got another run to get past Kelly for the lead on lap 2.

Jamie Campbell was able to get by Trey Votion for third then second on a restart that saw Kelly, Matt Fox and Landon Sowder three wide for third. Okruhlik jumped the cushion giving Campbell the opportunity to sneak past on lap 16 while Votion worked his way back up after a spin.

Okruhlik and Campbell were side by side for the lead on lap 17 with Okruhlik retaking the top spot on lap 18. Okruhlik and Campbell battled it out for the win with Okruhlik(San Antonio) holding off Campbell in his Southside Repair & Maintenance, Billy Bobs Tire & Repair, United Rentals, Rising Star Bodies, All in Designs, 3-D Landscaping, MB Custom, Swenson Racing Components, GM Crate, Warrior Chassis.

“We're going to set up a gofundme account for Jason(Kelly),” joked Okruhlik. “So we can buy him a mirror. I jumped the cushion like a big dummy and gave Jamie(Campbell) an opening. We gave the crowd their moneys worth at the end.”

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

99f Frank Okruhlik, 29L Jamie Campbell, 57 Jason Kelly, 99 Trey Votion, 53x Matt Fox, 108/08 Landon Sowder, 13 Howie Marcx, 95 Jerry Jones, 007 Aaron Driscoll, 08/108 Alton Fambrro---dns

Late Model heats

Heat 1, 57 Jason Kelly, 99 Trey Votion, 53x Matt Fox, 13 Howie Marcx, 95 Jerry Jones

Heat 2; 99f Frank Okruhlik, 29L Jamie Campbell, 108 Alton Fambro, 007 Aaron Driscoll, 08 Landon Sowder

Payton at Pay Window Again

With so much “junk” going on in this race, I'll try to stick to the racing, what little of it there actually was. You'd have thought splitting the class would help, but nope!

The 'scheduled 20-lapper' saw the two Hurley brother, Dustin and Dakota bring the 18-car field to green. Du. Hurley got the lead with Jarrett Payton door to door with Da, Hurley for second, Jesse Sandoval and Michael Keylich in pursuit. Payton had just gotten along side Du. Hurley when points contender, Keylich, had a flat and stacked up the field trying to get to the hot pits.

On the ensuing restart, Da. Hurley tried an outside run on brother Du. Hurley but gave second back to Payton. Sandoval would be the next contender to have a right rear go down at the same time as a multi-car tangle in turn 2. Payton got a good restart getting side by side with Du. Hurley as Johnny Torres made his way to the top five behind Sewell, who was dodging the bad luck bullet.

Payton got the top spot on lap 7 from Du. Hurley. Keylichs bad night continued going off turn 2 for his second caution, ending his night. Officials cut the race to 15 laps for time as driver line up problems continued. On the restart Sewell got a run high on Du. Hurley for second, with Torres looking low on Sewell, but another yellow slowed that action.

Officials then cut the race to a green white, checkered finish. Payton was able to sneak away on green as the white flag waved, finally. Du. Hurley couldn't mount a challenge on Payton(San Antonio) took the checkers in his self funded, crate powered, Outlaw Chassis.

“I had to prove that the car was fast and earned this one,” exclaimed Payton. “I showed that I could take that last win and keep going with it. It didn't seem that bad of a race to me. We've had a lot of cautions in other races.”

'I was just following along behind him(Dustin Hurley) and waiting to see if he messed up and I would just put it underneath him. It started getting closer to the end so I thought I'd have to do something. I'd either try it on the outside and hope I didn't get passed on the bottom, or it's going to work. It worked.”

“It's a little tough to find the best line in these cars with the slicks. I haven't had a whole lot of races on them. I was able to see the Limited Modified race and the lines Johnny and Steve were using. When they said on the radio, 'green, white, checker' I told myself, 'just don't screw up!'”

All in Design USRA Factory Stocks

18s Jarrett Payton, 4d Dustin Hurley, 38 Josh Sewell, 44k Johnny Torres, 20 Mike Lyon, 15 Ray Doyon, 98 William Saunders, 40 Dakota Hurley, 23 Kasey Krauss, 122 Kevin Izzi, 43 Johnny Johnson, 8g Cameron Dinsmore, 18 Ramon Sevilla, 33 Charles Earnhardt, 49k Michael Keylich, 23 Kyle Kirkland, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 75 Jerry Miller

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 4d Dustin Hurley, 49k Michael Keylich, 23 Kyle Kirkland, 15 Ray Doyon, 43 Johnny Johnson, 23k Kasey Krauss, 122 Kevin Izzi

Heat 2; 40 Dakota Hurley, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 20 Mike Lyon, 75 Jerrry Miller, 18 Ramon Sevilla, 33 Charles Earnhardt

Heat 3; 18s Jarrett Payton, 98 William Saunders, 38 Josh Sewell, 44k Johnny Torres, 8c Cameron Dinsmore

Alexander Aces Inaugural Beginner Factory Stock Feature

San Antonios Allen Alexander took home the first ever Beginner Factory Stock win going flag to flag. Alexander, who has pavement experience but limited dirt racing, got to turn 1 first chased by Daniel Lopez, Katherine Keylich, Hunter Peterson and Ronnie Sparks. Alexander held the point all 15 laps while Peterson moved up to second but never close enough to challenge Alexander for the win.

Beginner Factory Stocks

99 Allen Alexander, 44 Hunter Peterson, 28 Daniel Lopez, 22 Ronnie Sparks, 40k Kyle Workman, 44k Katherine Keylich, 24j Julio Reyes---dns

Beginner Factory Stock heat

99 Allen Alexander, 28 Daniel Lopez, 24j Julio Reyes, 44k Katherine Keylich, 44 Hunter Peterson, 40k Kyle Workman, 22 Ronnie Sparks

Garner Grabs First for 2020

The normally crazy USRA Tuner feature would see the 15-car, 20-lap feature go green to checker, but not without some excitement. Defending track champ Jamie Garner got out front on green chased by Adam Tracy, Brian Schoenbaum, Brandon McCall and Johnathon Cervantes. McCall and Schoenbaum had early side by side battle with Schoenbaum holding the spot.

As the leaders entered traffic coming to the midway point it was Garner, Ada. Tracy, Schoenbaum, McCall and Justin Sitterle in the top five. With five to go they hit heavy traffic that saw Ada. Tracy slip by Garner for the lead. As they continued to slice through slower cars coming to the checkers it was three wide banging off traffic, and Garner coming across the line with the hard fought victory in his VW Sirocco.

“I can't keep up with these kids anymore,” exclaimed Garner. “They have to make a bunch of mistakes for me to be up front, like they did tonight. I think the throttle got stuck on that last lap. It was a desperate move. I didn't have a plan for that, it was pure luck. There's not much skill going on there.”

“It's difficult to pick your way through traffic. Those guys aren't going slow. We may be coming up on them but they're going just about as fast as we are. Catching them and getting by them, it's a world of difference.”

“Being the defending track champ puts a little pressure on me since we're not doing well this year. It's bringing me down. All you need is a win to turn it around.”

“I need to thank my sponsors Joe and Adrian Shoemaker, Rick Pollaro, Darrel Jones and Gerald Higly.”

Brown Chevrolet USRA Tuners

33 Jamie Garner, 34 Adam Tracy, 719 Brian Schoenbaum, 14 Brandon McCall, 88 Justin Sitterle, 816 Stephanie Green, 14t Shaun Tracy, 950 Charles Oebel, 35 Darrel Jones, 13 Hanna Miller, 21 Kennedy Meeks, 01 Adolph Tracy, 11j Josh Jones, 46 Jonathon Cervantes, 93 Colton Borlace

USRA Tuner heats

Heat 1; 33 Jamie Garner, 14 Brandon McCall, 46 Johnathon Cervantes, 950 Charles Oebel, 93 Colton Borlace, 816 Stephanie Green, 13 Hanna Miller, 14t Shaun Tracy

Heat 2; 34 Adam Tracy, 719 Brian Schoenbaum, 88 Justin Sitterle, 11j Josh Jones, 35 Darrel Jones, 01 Adolph Tracy, 21 Kennedy Meeks---dns

Paxson Picks Up Dwarf Car Talley

Rusty Yound led early in the 20-lap Dwarf Car feature trailed by Dillon Coyne, Brian Benedict, Colby Urbanosky and Ty Paxson. R. Young slowed giving up the point to Coyne on lap 5 while drew Stark made his way to the top five. Paxson then picked off Urbanosky for third and caught Coyne for the lead.

Paxson got the spot on lap 11 and began easing away while Coyne and Ryan Stoy battled for second. A late spin by Benedict set up a green, white checker finish that saw Paxson get away while Stoy and Coyne ran wheel to wheel. This gave Paxson(Boerne) in his Moore Electric, Wrangler, All in Designs, Alamo Hot Rod Parts, 8T1 Construction, Spreen Race Engines car, some breathing room as he went on to take the checkers.

Dwarf Cars

15 Ty Paxson, 12 Dillon Coyne, 20 Ryan Stoy, 24 Colby Urbanosky, 555 Brian Benedict, 22 Cauy Moore, 88 Rusty Young, 14t Jerry Young, 54 Brian McCloud, 03 Drew Stark, 50 Jerry Book, 66 Larry Carwin

Dwarf Car heats

Heat 1; 88 Rusty Young, 24 Colby Urbanosky, 555 Brian Benedict, 54 Brian McCloud, 66 Larry Carwin, 50 Jerry Book

Heat 2; 15 Ty Paxson, 12 Dillon Coyne, 22c Cauy Moore, 20 Ryan Stoy, 03 Drew Stark, 14t Jerry Young