Larry Baggett set to make Sport Mod debut Saturday at Cotton Bowl

For immediate release:
MFM Public Relations
Tel: 207.689.6630

Larry Baggett set to make Sport Mod debut at Cotton Bowl Speedway
Former Street Stock racer returns to home track on Saturday

BURNET, Texas (Aug. 7, 2020) — One of the most popular and well respected short track drivers in central Texas is about to enjoy a little homecoming party. Once a regular in the Street Stock division, he's climbing into a car owner's IMCA Sport Modified this weekend and couldn't possibly be any happier.

Veteran racer Larry Baggett will make his debut for Mike Fortier Motorsports (MFM) in the No. 51VT entry this Saturday, Aug. 8, at Cotton Bowl Speedway in Paige, Texas. It'll be Baggett's maiden voyage in the ultra-competitive Sport Mod class, yet he's no stranger to the high-banked oval.

“I'm so excited to get back to Cotton Bowl on Saturday,” Baggett said. “I like the bullrings, but Cotton Bowl has the room to see what a car can do down the straightaway. I took a short blast in this car last night, and the power made my blood boil. I can't wait to roll out for Hot Laps tomorrow night.”

Baggett was racing a full-size truck around south Texas this season, but has now shifted his focus to the MFM Sport Mod program. It's a chance to expand his racing resume working with a friend. 

“It's hard to describe how thrilled I am to have this opportunity,” Baggett added. “Mike has busted his butt to make this happen, and I appreciate all of his efforts. This whole deal will be big fun, no-stress racing for me, and I think we're bringing a strong car to the race track. I'm pretty stoked.”

Fortier has been busy in this hectic, pandemic-shortened season working for Cotton Bowl promoter Mary Ann Naumann. Once he delivered his car to Baggett's shop, Fortier relied on Baggett and friends to prepare the car for competition. Improvements we made, and the car owner is thrilled. 

“It feels like a long time since we announced this deal with Larry, but thanks to his hard work we're just about ready to hit the track,” Fortier said. “The car has come a long way since I brought it up from San Antonio. David Lawrence built a strong engine for us, and Larry has the car all ready to go.” 

As the owner of a busy company, Fortier's driver has had to balance his time carefully in 2020. 

“Larry has been very busy with his business, By the Bay Lawn Care & Landscaping. I know he has a full plate without racing for me, but I sure am thrilled he's willing to do this. I have nothing but respect for he and Shawna, they are great folks and I know the 51VT entry is always in good hands.” 

Baggett bought his first race car in 2016, a Chevy Camaro for the Street Stock class. He finished a respectable eighth in points for his first year behind the wheel. In 2017, he purchased a Chevy Nova to run in the same class car and finished fourth in final points. Baggett's career highlight came in 2019 when he claimed the inaugural Texas Dirt Truck Series points championship. 

Fortier grew up in Vermont and started attending races at the age of 8, eventually joining a race team when he was just 19. He became a car owner in 1998 fielding a Late Model in the highly-respected American-Canadian Tour and at the famed Thunder Road International Speedbowl in Barre. 

To keep up with news on results, future race dates and other plans, please visit the Mike Fortier Motorsports Facebook page at www.facebook.com/mfm51/.

Larry Baggett with the MFM 51 Sport Mod.jpg