I-37 Speedway, 8-1-20

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX (Aug. 1, 2020) - After a little time off in the schedule, I-37 Speedway was back in action Saturday night on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt oval near San Antonio. All five of the regular classes(IMCA Modifieds, Late Models, USRA Limited Modifieds, Factory Stocks and Tuners, plus three divisions of Go-Karts).

August is not only the heat of the summer, but the meat of I-37 Speedways schedule with three events slated for the month(Aug. 15Th, Aug. 29th). Double track points are up for grabs on the August 15th date and the Texas Dirt Truck Series returns on the 29th.

Carroll Collects Modified Cash

Nearly a full field took the green for the scheduled 20-lap IMCA Modified main with Greg Dinsmore getting to turn 1 first trailed by Robert Liese jr., AJ Wernette, Donald Banker and Chandler Fox sorting out. Behind them Logan Dinsmore, Ryan Doyon and Robby Minten were three wide for sixth. After a couple cautions, Chris Carroll was on the move getting by Wernette for third and swapping second with Liese.

Carroll finally secured the spot while Landon Bednarz and Banker ran side by side for fourth. Joshua Melancon expired a motor for another yellow that had officials cut the distance to 15 laps. Carroll got along side G. Dinsmore on the restart and took the point with Cody Tidwell, Chris Swenson and Dillon Tindall three wide for sixth.

Three wide battles continued with Tindall, Bednarz and Banker for third after G. Dinsmore pulled off. Banker, Bednarz and Tidwell were next to go three abreast. Not to be outdone, Rich Green, Chris Swenson, Tindall and Bednarz tried four wide as the laps wound down. As the white flag waved Carroll(Spring Branch) in the Carroll Construction, Green Construction, Shawn Hart Music, SLC Paving, crate powered 2011 GRT by Carroll Chassis had built a good lead on his way to the win.

5f2727472b65d__SRP0915(800x530)(2).jpg.e743960a07e458b948dfc19d68960832.jpg

“I've been angry all day,” stated Carroll. “When you get old and get a new cpap you have a lot of penned up energy. I drove a little different than normal. I drove a little more aggressively since I have a new car sitting at home. That way if something happens I've still got a car to come back with. That allowed me to take more risks. I had a great time.”

“We're(Greg and I) are good friends so I knew his car was hurt and where he would be weak at. I was just waiting for my spot to pass him. He did a good job staying out front that long when he was down on cylinders. If he'd have hitting on all eight he would have been hard to pass.”

Simpson Safety Products IMCA Modifieds

15 Chris Carroll, 77 Robert Liese jr., 17 Cody Tidwell, 86 Dillon Tindall, 83 Chris Swenson, 377 Donald Banker, 16 Landon Bednarz, 82 Rick Green, 24r Robby Minten, 14t Talon Minten, 5 DJ Schroat, 31m Marlin Samford, 53 Chandler Fox, 419 Johnny Melancon, 37 AJ Wernette, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 924 Joshua Melancon, 5r Ryan Doyon, 8gII Logan Dinsmore, 55 Rick Talley---dns

Modified heats

Heat 1; 82 Rick Green, 377 Donald Banker, 77 Robert Liese jr., 8g Greg Dinsmore, 86 Dillon Tindall, 83 Chris Swenson, 55 Rick Talley

Heat 2; 24r Robby Minten, 8gII Logan Dinsmore, 14t Talon Minten, 37 AJ Wernette, 16 Landon Bednarz, 924 Joshua Melancon, 31m Marlin Samford

Heat 3; 15 Chris Carroll, 5r Ryan Doyon, 53x Chandler Fox, 5 DJ Schroat, 419 Johnny Melancon, 17 Cody Tidwell

Whiteaker Wins in the Battle of Whiskers

As the USRA Limited Modified feature fired off it was Johnny Torres coming off turn 2 ahead of Steve Whiteaker jr., with Robby Minten, Talon Minten and Brian Rye three wide for third. Whiteaker was able to get by Torres to lead lap 2 when Johnathon Garcia got into the front stretch wall. The restart saw Rye have issues, stop and pit from third. The next restart wasn't much better as Kevin Parker slapped the wall.

Finally back to green with Torres giving Whiteaker a look low in turns 1-2. They ran wheel to wheel in the corner but Whiteaker held the advantage. At the crossed flags it was Whiteaker and Torres with a big gap to R. Minten, T. Minten and Chris Swenson. Torres was keeping the pressure on Whiteaker giving looks low in turns 1-2, but Whiteaker held serve and was better in turns 3-4.

Whiteaker was able to inch ahead a bit until a debris caution rebunched the field on lap 17. Torres again tried the low line in turns 1-2 but Whiteaker(Corpus Christi) was able to ease ahead by a few car lengths for the win in the D&SS Construction, Cottrell Racing, South Texas Speedway, Churches Chicken, G&M Oilfield Services, WW bodies, CBR Shocks, Braka Operating, Best Race Engines, Innovative Chassis for the win.

5f2727601050e__SRP0972(800x530)(2).jpg.786af99ceb0f4d310dac47a8a28448cc.jpg

“Track was fun to race on and as usual the staff goes out of their way to make us feel welcome.” commented Whiteaker. “I’m just having fun being back in the seat again. I've raced more this season than the past couple. I try to race somewhere on our off nights.”

“I always enjoy racing with Johnny(Torres). We respect each others equipment and I don't have to worry about getting run into. I saw his nose down there a couple times but knew he wouldn't door slam me.”

Swenson Racing Products USRA Limited Modifieds

89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 66 Johnny Torres, 9 Robby Minten, 2 Talon Minten, 184 Brian Rye, 14h Heath Stewart, 30 Chris Swenson, 12 Roly Rodriguez, 86 Alvin Featherston, 95 Sterling Tausch, 31L Sherrill Lewis, 5r Ryan Doyon, 7 Kevin Parker, 117 Johnathon Garcia, 107 Kody Parker---dns

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 9 Robby Minten, 2 Talon Minten, 30 Chris Swenson, 31L Sherrill Lewis, 86 Alvin Featherston, 12r Roly Rodriguez, 107 Kody Parker

Heat 2; 66 Johnny Torres, 184 Brian Rye, 5r Ryan Doyon, 14h Heath Stewart, 7 Kevin Parker, 117 Johnathon Garcia, 95 Sterling Tausch

Brzozowski Best in Late Model Bash

The action started in the 20-lap Late Model feature coming to green when Frank Okruhlik, Bobby Jack and Jamie Campbell tangled. On the second start it was Matt Fox getting out front coming off turn 2 with Trey Votion, Brandon Brzozowski, Frank Okruhlik and Howie Marcx in tow. Kody Hardagee joined the top five getting by Marcx.

Brzozowski was able to grab second from Votion with Okruhlik following through to third. Brzozowski ducked under Fox for the lead on lap 6. Fox would spin and collect Hardage. Once back to green coming to halfway it was Brzozowski, Okruhlik, Hardage, Campbell and Votion in the top five.

Brzozowski got slowed by side by side traffic allowing Okruhlik to close the gap, while Marcus Mikulencak was on the charge getting by Campbell and Votion for fourth. After a couple debris cautions, Okruhlik tried Brzozowski on the high side but pulled up lame, ending his night.

With Okruhlik broke, Hardage sent to the tail for shedding parts, this put Mikulencak on Brzozowskis tail on the restart. Brzozowski got away and began to open gap while Campbell and Landon Sowder ran side by side. At the checkers it was Brzozowski(San Antonio) in the Billy Bobs Tire & Repair, Lone Star Pressure Equipment, Shaeffers Racing Oil, Texas Industrial Radiator, The Trash Can Cleaners, MoBags Suspension, Magnum by Nilfisk All in Designs, Pressure Pro, 602 crate powered Rocket XR1 Chassis going unchallenged.

5f27277536927__SRP0719(800x530)(2).jpg.6e9b92e66a064be794c3ebef16be56b0.jpg

“I was just taking it easy at the start,” said Brzozowski. “If someone stuck their nose in there I could have gone a little harder. The track was kind of technical tonight. There were some spots that were slick, spots where there was traction, rough in spots, smooth in others. I just kind of biding my time and trying not to over drive the car.”

“You're always a sitting duck when you're out front. They're watching to see what you're doing and use it to their advantage. You don't know what they're doing either or know if they found something high or low. Some good cars showed up tonight. That's good to see. I hope it continues to grow. I think it was about half and half between clip cars and full lates.”

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

104 Brandon Brzozowski, 93 Marcus Mikulencak, 08 Landon Sowder, 99 Trey Votion, 12 Kody Hardage, 108 Alton Fambro, 13 Howie Marcx, 88 Bobby Jack, 17 Adrian Awalt, 99f Frank Okruhlik, 53x Matt Fox, 4 Ryan Doyon, 29 Jamie Campbell(dq-tech), 007 Aaron Driscoll—dns, 57 Jason Kelly---dns

Late Model heats

Heat 1, 99 Trey Votiion, 53x Matt Fox, 108 Alton Fambro, 13 Howie Marcx, 88 Bobby Jack, 17 Adrian Awalt, 007 Aaron Driscoll, 57 Jason Kelly

Heat 2; 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 12 Kody Hardage, 99f Frank Okruhlik, 08 Landon Sowder, 29 Jamie Campbell, 93 Marcus Mikulencak, 4 Ryan Doyon

Payday for Payton After Eight Years

It wasn't the typical way to win, but as Jarrett Payton(San Antonio) said, “a win is a win.”

As green flew over the 24-car, 20-lap USRA Factory Stock feature in was Memphis Villareal getting the lead off turn 2 chased by Aaron Leddy, Jesse Sandoval, John Leita and Payton. Leddy fought back going door to door with Villareal on lap 2, getting by on lap 3. After a yellow the scrap for the lead continued while GW Hessong was charging forward getting Payton for fourth, then Sandoval for third.

Josh Sewell took fifth from Payton as Jerry Evans and John Drexler tangled in turn 1 for a yellow. On the restart Payton retook the spot from Sewell as Hessongs charge ended, pulling to the infield. At the halfway point it was Villareal, Leddy, Payton, Sewell and Leita in the top five. Johnny Wesfall and Sandoval got together with Sandoval going around collecting George Quintanilla for a caution.

On the restart Sewell squeezed Kasey Krauss into the wall for a yellow that sent Sewell to the back. Once back to green it was Leddy putting the heat on Villareal as Dustin Hurley and Leita ran side by side for fourth. Leddy and Villareal were door to door for the lead on lap 12 with Leddy inching past, up top, on lap 13.

Villareal came back on the bottom with the duo staying side by side on lap 16. Leddy got a couple car lengths on Villareal with two to go. On the final lap Villareal tried a dive bomb move in turn 3 for the win, but door slammed Leddy hard enough to get Leddys front wheels off the ground. Villareal went on to cross the line first, while Leddy sat dead in the water, in turn 4.

After some discussion among officials, Villareal was disqualified for rough driving with the victory awarded to Payton, in the self-financed, GM crate powered Outlaw Chassis, his first win since his last checkers eight years ago.

“It's been since 2012 since I spoke you last,” exclaimed Payton. “I wasn't expecting this. On the last lap I saw the 30 car(Villareal) get under Aaron(Leddy) and I back off a little bit thinking something might happen. I wasn't expecting the win though. I didn't know about it until we got to the tech area. But hey, a win is a win.”

“You definitely have to be on your game here with the competition here. I picked this car up from Jamie Fuller. I just have to take care of the tires and do maintenance on it. It's fast. This is the nicest racecar I've ever driven in my life. Every other car I've owned was built by me with the exception of a Wild Child Chassis. This car is bad fast.

“I raced every now and then, got tired of it, sold all my stuff and then I'd come to the races, and buy another car. I really have to thank my wife for putting up with this. It must be hard, one day I hate it and selling everything, the next, I don't hate it and I'm buying everything back.”

All In Design USRA Factory Stocks

18s Jarrett Peyton, 4d Dustin Hurley, 9 Johnny Westfall, 34c Greg Carlucci jr., 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 20 Mike Lyon, 02 Shannon Maurer, 40p Paul Reyes, 38 Josh Sewell, 3 Travis Slavik, 24 John Leita, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 93 Aaron Leddy, 28 Daniel Lopez, 23 Kasey Krauss, 36 George Quintanilla, 11d John Drexler, 747 GW Hessong, 17e Jerry Evans, 44c Cord Beard, 49k Michael Keylich, 30 Memphis Villareal---DQ(rough driving)

Factory Stock B-mains

B-main 1; 02 Shannon Maurer, 34c Greg Carlucci jr., 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 36 George Quintanilla, 17e Jerry Evans, 98 William Saunders, 6 Gary Butler, 44k Katherine Keylich, 2x Zac Courtney, 74 Jacoby McElven, 43 Johnny Johnson

B-main 2; 49k Michael Keylich, 40p Paul Reyes, 28 Daniel Lopex, 11d John Drexler, 3 Travis Slavik, 75 Jerry Miller, 29 Jason Gordon, 24j Julio Reyes, 10 Scott Jerkins---dns, 11 Jonothon McElven---dns

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 30 Memphis Villareal, 24 John Leita, 23 Kasey Kraus, 34c Greg Carlucci jr, 6 Gary Butler, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 2x Zac Courtney, 43 Johnny Johnson, 74 Jacoby McElven

Heat 2

93 Aaron Leddy, 38 Joshua Sewell, 9 Johnny Westfall, 3 Travis Slavik, 28; Daniel Lopez, 24j Julio Reyes, 10 Scott Jerkins, 75 Jerry Miller

Heat 3; 7 Jesse Sandoval,747 GW Hessong, 4d Dustin Hurley, 36 George Quintanilla, 02 Shannon Maurer, 17e Jerry Evans, 98 William Saunders , 44k Katherine Keylich

Heat 4;18s Jarrett Payton, 44c Cord Beard, 20 Mike Lyon, 40p Paul Reyes, 49k Michael Keylich, 11d John Drexler, 29 Jason Gordon, 11 Jonothon McElven

Schoenbaum in Tuner Sweep

As the USRA Tuner feature took the green Brian Schoenbaum and Brandon McCall stayed door to door with Schoenbaum edging out McCall at line. Dylan Kowalik, Charles Oebel and former track champ, Jamie Garner fell in line behind the lead duo. Kowalik then moved along side McCall for second while Johnny Ervin took fifth from Garner.

Kowalik and McCall continued their battle for second as Ervin picked off Oebel for fourth. Kowalik got Second from McCall on a restart while Ryan McDonald and Garner swapped fifth. Kowalik was creeping in on Schoenbaum when a second debris caution helped him close the gap.

Back to green Schoenbaum got a slight edge while Kowalik and McCall again battled side by side. As the two continued this gave Ervin the chance to reel them in and join the fight. Up front it was Schoenbaum(San Antonio) in the Big A's BBQ, Bonham Recovery, Tracys Oil & Gas, Central Cedar, KR Promotions, Rabid Motorsports, five1seven Designs, Twisted iPhones, Superior Steering Wheels, IHFP Clothing, Chevy Cavalier grabbing another victory.

“My son has been here and he's been my good luck charm reeling off three wins in a row,” said Schoenbaum. “I didn't know where Brandon(McCall) was when we took the green. When we start on the front row, if I can clear him, it's like, where is he going to be next. When I pulled up on the tech pad Dylan(Kowalik) and Johnny(Ervin) were there too. From looking at some of the video, they were a lot closer than I thought.”

“Dylan is a good kid, he's 14 or 15 and is getting the handling down on these cars. Gone are days of coming here and running off from the field. The competition has definitely stepped up this year. Dylan's got it figured out and he's got a win coming.”

“With the way USRA points structure is it's good to have car counts to get passing points. The guys up north don't have the count I have down here. It was a good night. Bouncing back and forth between north and south Texas kind of wears on you. Chasing this national championship we'll do it all again next week.”

Brown Chevrolet USRA Tuners

719 Brian Schoenbaum, 14 Brandon McCall, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 44 Johnny Ervin, 816 Ryan McDonald, 34 Adam Tracy, 38 Kirk Ball, 95 Charles Oebel, 01 Adolph Tracy, 35 Joshua Jones, 33 Jamie Garner, 007 Devin Tracy, 11j Josh Jones

Tuner heats

Heat 1; 14 Brandon McCall, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 33 Jamie Garner, 34 Adam Tracy, 01 Adolph Tracy, 007 Devin Tracy, 11j Joshua Jones

Heat 2; 719 Brain Schoenbaum, 950 Charles Oebel, 816 Ryan McDonald, 38 Kirk Ball, 44 Johnny Ervin, 35 Darrell Jones

Russ Parker Construction Go-Kart features

Senior Division; Peyton Jones, Trent Dixon, Cody Clegg

Junior Division; Blaine Markgraf, Bo Payton, Jude Allgayer

Youth Division: Tucker Kempe, Easton Saigissan, Cheston Markgraf, Vasili Hartiofilax