Summer Showdown Night #2 @ I-37 Raceway, 7/17-18/20

Summer Showdown Night #2 @ I-37 Raceway, 7/17-18/20

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, Texas (July 18, 2020) - After a Friday night of racing the Summer Showdown concluded on Saturday night on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt track. Friday night had four drivers qualified for bonus money for sweeping the weekend, Chris Morris (IMCA Modified), Steve Whiteaker Jr. (USRA Limited Modified), Josh Sewell (USRA Factory Stock) after a DQ in tech and Adam Tracy (USRA Tuners). Morris and Whiteaker opted to not return.

The POWERi Racing, Lonestar 600s were also on the card with the 600 Winged Restrictors and Non-Wing Micros. Mother Nature was nice for this years scheduled race after 3 of the last 4 appearances have ended in rain outs.

Dinsmore Dynamic in IMCA Modifieds

The 20-lap IMCA Modified feature saw 14-cars take the green with Greg Dinsmore getting to turn 1 first trailed by Ryan Doyon, AJ Wernette, Talon Minten and Johnny Melancon along side Logan Dinsmore. Wernette looped it from third in turn 2 on lap 1 with no one making contact as the pack scattered.

On the restart Minten, using the top, got by Doyon for second. Chris Jones found the front stretch wall on lap 3 bringing out another quick yellow. Once back to green, Doyon used a low line move to get second back from Minten, but Minten powered around the top to regain the spot and close on G. Dinsmore.

Minten showed him the nose once with G. Dinsmore adjusting his line to a middle groove and was able to hold the top spot. In the meantime, Chris Carroll was working his way up getting by L. Dinsmore for fourth. Coming to halfway G. Dinsmore got a little breathing room as Doyon and Minten ran wheel to wheel for second.

At halfway it was G. Dinsmore, Doyon, Minten, Carroll and L. Dinsmore holding off Rick Green. Carroll caught the Doyon-Minten battle for second and was able to take third. Up front G. Dinsmore was running up on traffic giving Doyon the chance to close a 6-car advantage in the closing laps.

G. Dinsmore (Kerrville), a former track champion, was able to get through traffic and keep Doyon at bay taking the win in his Sundowner Performance Diesel, Jimmys Towing, AFCO, Sanderson Motorsports, Wehrs, Stealth, Swenson Racing Products, Friesen crate powered, BMS Chassis. His son, L. Dinsmore was able to hold off another track champ, Green for fifth.

“Just so many emotions racing with my kids,” responded Dinsmore “It's something I have been waiting for, for so many years. So many emotions. In the race Friday night we had a fast car but caught a rut and broke an upper a-arm. We spent the day welding things I never thought I would even try. So to say there was a question mark was on my mind, is an understatement.”

“In the Saturday race I was on the bottom waiting for someone to stick there nose in there. When (Ryan) Doyon stuck his nose in there I decided to try a new line. Once we switched it up, I knew I had to step it up. The car handled it well. It got a little sketchy going through lapped traffic, but we got it done. I really want to thank my family.”

5f14fa4bb282a__SRP0430(800x530)(2).jpg.2eacd50e14c86ab0e9a9c9b00c153859.jpg

Simpson Safety Products IMCA Modifieds

8g Greg Dinsmore, 5r Ryan Doyon, 15 Chris Carroll, 14t Talon Minten, 8gII Logan Dinsmore, 82 Rick Green, 16 Landon Bednarz, 77 Robert Liese jr., 37 AJ Wernette, 419 Johnny Melancon, 151 Chris Jones, 31m Marlin Samford

Modified heats

Heat 1; 8g Greg Dinsmore, 15 Chris Carroll, 5r Ryan Doyon, 14t Talon Minten, 77 Robert Liese jr., 31 Marlin Samford

Heat 2; 82 Rick Green, 37 AJ Wernette, 8gII Logan Dinsmore, 16 Landon Bednarz, 419 Johnny Melancon, 151 Chris Jones

Torres Tops in USRA Limited Modifieds

After a string of runner-up finishes, Johnny Torres(La Vernia) found his way to the Winners Circle in the 12-car USRA Limited Modified feature. Torres was off first from the pole leading Robby Minten, Ryan Doyon, Sterling Tausch and Roly Rodriguez on lap 1. Art Rodriguez moved to run side by side with R. Rodriguez for fifth.

R, Minten made contact with the lapped car of Kody Parker and gave up second to Doyon. Ko. Parker would stop in the pit exit for the races only caution. R. Minten retook second on green while R. Rodriguez took fourth from Tausch. By halfway Torres was pulling away from R. Minten, Doyon, R. Rodriguez and A. Rodriguez.

As the laps clicked off Doyon kept the heat on R. Minten for second, but was unable to find way by. Out front, Torres in his Scott Ball Racing, rnminstall.com, Sundowner Performance Diesel, Alamo Hot Rod Parts, 8T1 Construction, All in designs, South Texas Speedway, Carroll Construction, Billy Bobs Truck Repair, Swenson Racing shocks, Mission Racing Engine, IRP Chassis was on cruise control taking the checkers.

**I didn't hear any snake stories involved with this win, just sayin'.

“I thought the track was extremely racy for it being 100 degrees outside,” commented Torres. “Russell Vickery being my only crew member has helped a bunch this year. We have being trying some new stuff and I think we are finally on to something. I really wanted to thank Tom Hamilton with Mission Racing Engines for building me this great new motor. It was the first weekend out on it.”

5f14fa67bf13c__SRP0324(800x530)(2).jpg.ae0c8b82842f0100e51bbd265a735fd7.jpg

Swenson Racing Products USRA Limited Modifieds

66 Johnny Torres, 24r Robby Minten, 5r Ryan Doyon, 12r Roly Rodriguez, 08 Alton Fambro, 7 Kevin Parker, 95 Sterling Tausch, 30k Art Rodriguez, 31 Jamie Campbell, 117 Johnathon Garcia, 107 Kody Parker, 2 Talon Minten

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 66 Johnny Torres, 5r Ryan Doyon, 7 Kevin Parker, 107 Kody Parker, 117 Johnathon Garcia, 31 Jame Campbell---dns

Heat 2; 24r Robby Minten, 95 Sterling Tausch,12r Roly Rodriguez, 2 Talon Minten, 30k Art Rodriguez, 08 Alton Fambro

Mikulencak on the Money for Late Models

Coming in as a hired gun, Marcus Mikulencak (Corpus Christi) jumped in the car owned by Jamie Fuller and held off two hard chargers to grab the 15-lap feature win. Mikulencak grabbed the point on lap on lap 1 chased by Frank Okruhlik, Trey Votion, Jason Kelly and Landon Sowder.

After a couple spins by Aaron Driscoll for quick yellows, Votion got by Okruhlik for second. Okruhlik fought back going to door to door with Votion until spinning off turn 4. On the restart Mikulencak and Votion pulled away as Okruhlik made his way back to the front. As the white waved Mikulencak had a three car lead on Votioon taking the win in the Reflective Wrecker, C3 Speed Horses, Hamner crate powered, Rayburn Chassis.

5f14fa79abfd3__SRP0407(800x530)(2).jpg.1db76f7e252999d7f91134ecb39fb920.jpg

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

93 Marcus Mikulencak, 99 Trey Votion, 99f Frank Okruhlik, 57 Jason Kelly, 08 Landon Sowder, 13 Howie Marcx, 007 Aaron Driscoll

Limited Late Model heats

Heat 1; 93 Marcus Mikulencak, 99f Frank Okruhlik, 99 Trey Votion, 57 Jason Kelly, 08 Landon Sowder, 13 Howie Marcx, 007 Aaron Driscoll

Sewell Sweeps Factory Stocks for Sweet Loot

With a lot of extra cash on the line Josh Sewell (Kingsville) was the one driver eligible for the weekend sweep after getting Fridays win after tech. Well, to quote Yogi Berra, “It was deja vu all over again.” As the 22-car field took the green it was Sewell getting out front with Jarrett Payton, George Quintanilla, Michael Keylich and Allen Torres(who was first to cross the line Friday night).

Torres quickly worked his past M. Keylich using the top on lap 1. Staying on the high side, Torres powered past Quintanilla and Payton on lap 2 and crossed the line side by side with Sewell getting the top spot on lap 3. On a lap 4 restart, Payton tried to dive under Torres and Sewell for the lead, but fell back in line third.

Sewell then gave Torres a look on the bottom, but Torres with momentum up top held the spot. In the pack, Dustin Hurley, Mike Lyon and Jesse Sandoval were three wide for sixth. As the top three eased away, Lyon got by Quintanilla for fifth. At the midway point it was Torres, Sewell, Payton, M. Keylich with Lyon and Cameron Dinsmore side by side for fifth when a spin by Elgin Tracy slowed the action.

Payton again tried his dive low move as green waved, but fell short, while Lyon took fourth from M. Keylich. Sewell was again putting pressure on Torres for the lead when Dakota Hurley spun for a yellow. This time when Payton tried the low line move, he spun in front of the field scattering the pack.

Back to green, the top 3 got clear while Quintanilla and Aaron Leddy were side by side for fourth and Sandoval along side Brandon Gaither, filling in for Allen Alexander, for sixth. A lap 19 caution set up a one lap shootout for the win. Torres was able to hold off Sewell while in the pack a multi-car melee shook up the final finishing order.

Once again on the tech pad, Torres' car was unable to pass inspection giving the victory and the sweep bonus money to Sewell in his 2Jacks Racing, Wildcat Fluids, McDonald Sales & Salvage, Continental Batteries, KH Suspension, Ace Motors, Outlaw Chassis.

“It's the first wins of the season on this new car,” said Sewell. “I know I didn't cross the finish line first, but I was behind a car that was illegal, so it worked out for me. I want to thank my mom and dad, Ray, Mike and the I-37 crew, and Jamie Fuller, Johnny and Brandy Torres for the extra money put up for these races. I had a blast and can't wait to did it again.”

All In Design USRA Factory Stocks

38 Josh Sewell, 20 Mike Lyon, 93 Aaron Leddy, 36 George Quintanilla, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 49k Michael Keylich, 75 Jerry Miller, 40 Dakota Hurley, 44k Katherine Keylich, 4d Dustin Hurley, 41t Elgin Tracy, 10 Scott Jerkins, 43 Johnny Johnson, 99 Brandon Gaither, 37 AJ Wernette, 18s Jarrett Payton, 28 Daniel Lopez, 15 William Cavender, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 23 Kasey Krauss, 19 Jennifer Kidd, 94 Allen Torres(dq--tech)

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 38 Josh Sewell, 49k Michael Keylich, 20z Mike Lyon, 4d Dustin Hurley, 37 AJ Wernette, 23 Kasey Krauss, 43 Johnny Johnson, 15 William Cavender

Heat 2; 36 George Quintanilla, 40 Dakota Hurley, 94 Allen Torres, 8c Cameron Dinsmore, 99 Allen Alexander, 44k Katherine Keylich, 28 Daniel Lopez

Heat 3; 18s Jarrett Payton, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 93 Aaron Leddy, 75 Jerry Miller, 19 Jennifer Kidd,41t Elgin Tracy, 10 Scott Jerkins

Schoenbaum Sweats Out Tuner Tally

In the 20-lap, 15-car USRA Tuner feature it was Brian Schoenbaum (San Antonio) going flag to flag to flag for the win, but it wasn't easy. After an aborted first try, Schoenbaum and Brandon McCall stayed side by side until turn 3 when Schoenbaum crept ahead leaving McCall, Kirk Ball, Jamie Garner and Adam Tracy on his tail.

As Schoenbaum and McCall inched ahead, Garner and Ball were door to door for third. At the crossed flags it was Schoenbaum, McCall, Garner and Ball side by side with Ada. Tracy with Tracy getting the spot. As thee lead duo ran up on traffic it was three wide around a lapper with McCall getting by. A spin by Charles Oebel erased the pass putting Schoenbaum back up front.

On the restart Schoenbaum, McCall and Garner pulled away with Adolph Tracy getting past Ball for fifth. Schoenbaum, fighting power steering issues all weekend, did all he could to hold off McCall by a couple car lengths at the checkers in his Big A's BBQ, Bonham Recovery, Tracys Oil & Gas, Central Cedar, KR Promotions, Rabid Motorsports, five1seven Designs, Twisted iPhones, Superior Steering Wheels, IHFP Clothing, Chevy Cavalier.

“That was a tough one,” replied Schoenbaum. “We've been fighting power steering issues and I literally had to hook my thumb in the wheel to turn it. When Brandon (McCall) got past me in traffic I thought it was over, I would have had nothing for him without power steering. Luckily that caution came out and put me back in the lead.”

Brown Chevrolet USRA Tuners

719 Brian Schoenbaum, 14 Brandon McCall, 33 Jamie Garner, 34 Adam Tracy, 816 Ryan McDonald, 38 Kirk Ball, 01 Adolph Tracy, 46 Johnathon Cervantes, 95 Charles Oebel, 28L Levi Hernandez, 35 Darrel Jones, 13 Hanna Miller, 19 Michael Ornelaz, 55r Ryker Hernandez

Tuner heats

Heat 1; 14 Brandon McCall, 38 Kirk Ball, 01 Adolph Tracy, 19 Michael Ornelaz, 55r Ryker Hernandez, 13 Hanna Miller, 35 Darrel Jones

Heat 2; 719 Brian Schoenbaum, 33 Jamie Garner, 34 Adam Tracy, 816 Ryan McDonald, 950 Charles Oebel, 28L Levi Hernandez, 46 Johnathon Cervantes---dns

POWERI 600s

The Non-Wing Micro feature saw nine of the eleven cars start the feature with Jacob Lucas (Alvin) taking the lead bringing Brandon Moeller, Bash Ferguson, Chris Russell and Jayton Brown along. After a yellow for a Raleigh Shepard spin, Ferguson put a slide job on Moeller for second, Moeller was able to do the crossover and retake the spot before slowing and pulling off.

By halfway Lucas had built a huge lead over Ferguson, Russell, Brown and Shepard. Lucas took the white flag with nearly a half track advantage easily taking the win while Ferguson gave up a spot Russell and Brown.

Non Wing Micros

57 Jacob Lucas, 99 Chris Russell, 11a Jayton Brown, 91 Bash Ferguson, 93 Raleigh Shepard, 83k Cody Kokes, 75 Sean Wilkins, 88 Brandon Moeller, 881 Aaron Bushmore, 38 Doug Watson---dns, 27y Stephen Yates---dns

Non-Wing Micro Heats

Heat 1; 88 Blake Moeller, 93 Raleigh Shepard, 11a Jayton Brown, 99 Chris Russell, 38 Doug Watson, 27y Stephen Yates

Heat 2; 57 Jacob Lucas, 881 Aaron Barmore, 91 Bash Ferguson, 83k Cody Kokes, 75 Sean Wilkins

The 8-car Restricted Winged feature saw Brannon Lucas get out front first with Ryder Wells, Kaden Trotter, Hailey Taylor and Andrew Clark in pursuit. After a couple spins by Taytum Moeller, who turned over in the heat race, Trotter was able to get by Wells for second.

At halfway it was Lucas, Trotter, Wells, Taylor and Rylie Yates in the top five. As the white flag waved Lucas had 8-car lengths on Trotter going on to score his first ever win, at ten years old no less. I've been around Motorsports nearly 50 years and the ovation for the kid was one of the biggest I can remember hearing.

Restricted Winged Micros

61 Brannon Lucas, 19 Kaden Trotter, 24 Ryder Wells, 77y Hailey Taylor, 7r Rylie Yates, 38 Andrew Clark, 21 Dalton Wayne, 39m Taytum Moeller

Restricted Winged Micro Heat

61 Brannon Lucas, 24 Ryder Wells, 77t Hailey Taylor, 19 Kaden Trotter, 38 Andrew Clark, 7r Rylie Yates, 21 Dalton Wayne, 39m Taytum Moeller