Larry Baggett joins Mike Fortier Motorsports for part-time Sport Mod effort

For immediate release:
MFM Public Relations
Tel: 207.689.6630

Larry Baggett joins Mike Fortier Motorsports for part-time Sport Mod effort in 2020
Reigning Texas Dirt Truck Truck Series champ to run six races

BURNET, Texas (March 4, 2020) — Two veteran race personalities in the Lone Star State are joining forces for a part-time yet surely competitive Sport Mod effort in 2020. A longtime car owner from New England who now calls Texas his home and a North Carolina native are a natural pair. 

Defending Texas Dirt Truck Series champion Larry Baggett has announced his intentions to wheel the No. 51VT IMCA Sport Mod entry fielded by Mike Fortier Motorsports. The pair will run approximately six races at Cotton Bowl Speedway, I-37 Speedway and at Texana Raceway. 

“I was beyond excited when Mike reached out to me with this opportunity,” Baggett said. “I am honored to strap into his Sport Mod and will do my best to put it into Victory Lane this season. Mike is one of those guys with years of experience and knowledge. I'll enjoy working with him on the setups. 

“We'll do whatever we have to do to get his car dialed in. This is going to be a chance for me to grow as a racer and hone my skills further. The guys who drive multiple cars stay sharp, so this won't hurt my truck program at all. I'm gunning to defend my TDTS title, but racing for Mike will be fun.” 

Fortier is part of the staff at Cotton Bowl this year, working with Mary Ann and H. Naumann on IT-related matters and as a Pit Steward coordinating lineups. Now approaching the age of 69, Fortier has an extensive background in racing in both his native New England and in south Texas. 

“I'm absolutely thrilled with where I'm at at Cotton Bowl right now, working with Mary Ann at what I feel is the best-run track in Texas,” Fortier said. “Yet my desire to field a car is still there, and now, I have a driver with a stellar reputation and down-home personality. I couldn't be any happier. 

“Larry is a great fit for this team. He takes care of equipment and really uses his head out on the track. He'll get the most out of the car each time he competes, yet he won't destroy it when things aren't going so well. I'm very fortunate to have his skills behind the wheel, and can't wait to go racing.” 

Baggett, aka 'Cowboy', 50, of Burnet, Texas, has been involved in racing nearly all of his life. Growing up in his native state of North Carolina, he spent his weekends going to drag races with his sister, Audrey Pope. Larry enjoyed hanging out in the pits and learning the ropes. 

He bought his own race car in 2016, a Chevy Camaro for the Street Stock class on dirt. He finished a respectable eighth in points for his first year behind the wheel. In 2017, he purchased a Chevy Nova to run in the same class car and finished fourth in final points. Baggett's career highlight was winning the inaugural Texas Dirt Truck Series championship last year in a steady, consistent effort. 

Fortier grew up in Vermont and started attending races at the age of 8, eventually joining a race team when he was just 19. He became a car owner in 1998 fielding a Late Model in the highly-respected American-Canadian Tour and at the famed Thunder Road International Speedbowl in Barre. 

He established a racing business partnership with the Australia-based Just Hafta brand of apparel, with sales proceeds across North America funding the race team. In the late 1990s, Fortier designed and developed a software program known as Race Team Notebook, used by many teams. 

To keep up with news on race dates and plans, please visit the Mike Fortier Motorsports Facebook page at www.facebook.com/mfm51/.

Larry Baggett.jpg

83268099_189629845515283_1964854212575625216_n.jpg

2020 Graphics!.jpg