Daytona

Josh42

Well since Timmy hasn't done it yet, even though the race hasn't been completed. Did you see the stands yesterday.  They were packed.  I honestly hate to see this for NASCAR first race of the year, sell out, President Trump, the race itself it was shaping up to be a good day and then the rains hit.  Now they run at 4pm est or 3pm our time, the stands wont be as full as yesterday and a lot of their main fan base will be at work. Luckily I can pull it up on my phone and watch through the directv app. I wished they would of run it later but with them running in Vegas next it is a quick turnaround for the teams as the haulers have to leave Tuesday evening to go to the west coast.

Yes, there was lots of positive hype for the Daytona 500 this year and it seems to have generated some increased awareness and interest. Having President Trump there had to have helped ticket sales and the stands were indeed much fuller than what we've seen over the past few years.

I watched the show on Fox until the rain.  I had my own weather radar up and it was apparent that those "pop up" showers were going to increase as the afternoon progressed.

Maybe this phenomenon is now customary at Daytona, but It was interesting to see some of the top teams lagging back in the second group.  Maybe they took a page from Jordan Anderson's playbook.

Nascar is back.   The stands at NS were packed for their race and Daytona was a sold out deal.   You gotta love all of the different ways to watch the races now.  The stands are not really as important as they used to be. 

By the way, record purse there too.

Natalie Decker ran well in the Truck series.  That should create some press.  She started like 11th on that last restart and moved her way up to 5th.  

2 hours ago, toyotatim said:

Nascar is back.   The stands at NS were packed for their race and Daytona was a sold out deal.   You gotta love all of the different ways to watch the races now.  The stands are not really as important as they used to be. 

By the way, record purse there too.

Natalie Decker ran well in the Truck series.  That should create some press.  She started like 11th on that last restart and moved her way up to 5th.  

here we go again . the stands dont matter ..  I PASS BY  any eatery  that has no cars when its lunch time  or supper time .. when people dont fill the stands advertisers lose money the tracks lose money  nascar or not  . the feel of a live race will keep poeple talking than seeing on tv . . when the stands are full like that . the economy is doing great and nascar is doing a better job . 

4 hours ago, NickHolt said:

Yes, there was lots of positive hype for the Daytona 500 this year and it seems to have generated some increased awareness and interest. Having President Trump there had to have helped ticket sales and the stands were indeed much fuller than what we've seen over the past few years.

I watched the show on Fox until the rain.  I had my own weather radar up and it was apparent that those "pop up" showers were going to increase as the afternoon progressed.

Maybe this phenomenon is now customary at Daytona, but It was interesting to see some of the top teams lagging back in the second group.  Maybe they took a page from Jordan Anderson's playbook.

NICK with trump there put the icing on the cake  even if Obama  would have been treated the same .. It was not so  political  to me .. what it did show was America is still the greatest country and politics aside what party you conform too . didnt show up .. everyone was one ..that can still happen in this country and if anything nascar helped  showing America we can all still be free and get along .

On 2/17/2020 at 1:49 PM, HiTech said:

here we go again . the stands dont matter ..  I PASS BY  any eatery  that has no cars when its lunch time  or supper time .. when people dont fill the stands advertisers lose money the tracks lose money  nascar or not  . the feel of a live race will keep poeple talking than seeing on tv . . when the stands are full like that . the economy is doing great and nascar is doing a better job . 

Mike, my step-dad had an old saying that fits well here..... "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time, and it annoys the pig."

Hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but has everyone forgotten that over 50,000 seats were removed from Daytona and several other tracks?

It was nice to see the stands full but lets not get all revved up over "stands full" when the fact that "stands were removed"

I'd love to see the stands that were removed... "added back". That would be a true gauge that NASCAR is making a comeback

3 minutes ago, King237 said:

Hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but has everyone forgotten that over 50,000 seats were removed from Daytona and several other tracks?

It was nice to see the stands full but lets not get all revved up over "stands full" when the fact that "stands were removed"

I'd love to see the stands that were removed... "added back". That would be a true gauge that NASCAR is making a comeback

THANK YOU!!!

I choose to be a part of the solution by attending or watching races rather than be part of the problem by complaining about what we dont have.

It appears the model of removing seats, selling access and technology to the races online is working.  There was a record purse for the Daytona 500, so I could care less if there were 50,000 in the dump ground that there were noone sitting in.

From Jayski:

The postponed Daytona 500 earned a 4.2 rating  and 7 million viewers for Fox network on Monday.  The race started just after 4:00pm/et.

Before being delayed on Sunday, Fox TV ratings were up 19% over 2019 with more than 10 million viewers

There has been a resurgence of NASCAR, I don't know whats causing it but there is a resurgence, Chip Wylde (Daytona President) said that all tickets for the 500 had been sold before Thursday.  I watched almost all of the race Monday from my phone while at work and it was nice because when I left work I left the broadcast on and ran it through the speakers of my truck.  I have renewed interest in NASCAR because of listening to Dale Jr's Podcast as well as Door Bumper Clear Podcast. 

So haters gone hate

The new drivers   THIS YEAR  has my attention  including some over the last couple of seasons .. . nascar  its self hasn't done much to get my attention . the teams are bringing in some really good young racers  and that helps .. just have to add a new dessert once in while ....will I sit and watch more races ..  to many cookie cutter tracks so NIO   most of those tracks look the same to me .. . I will keep up with the young drivers more ..  

2 hours ago, HiTech said:

The new drivers   THIS YEAR  has my attention  including some over the last couple of seasons .. . nascar  its self hasn't done much to get my attention . the teams are bringing in some really good young racers  and that helps .. just have to add a new dessert once in while ....will I sit and watch more races ..  to many cookie cutter tracks so NIO   most of those tracks look the same to me .. . I will keep up with the young drivers more ..  

What two tracks are the same?  

3 hours ago, Josh42 said:

From Jayski:

The postponed Daytona 500 earned a 4.2 rating  and 7 million viewers for Fox network on Monday.  The race started just after 4:00pm/et.

Before being delayed on Sunday, Fox TV ratings were up 19% over 2019 with more than 10 million viewers

There has been a resurgence of NASCAR, I don't know whats causing it but there is a resurgence, Chip Wylde (Daytona President) said that all tickets for the 500 had been sold before Thursday.  I watched almost all of the race Monday from my phone while at work and it was nice because when I left work I left the broadcast on and ran it through the speakers of my truck.  I have renewed interest in NASCAR because of listening to Dale Jr's Podcast as well as Door Bumper Clear Podcast. 

So haters gone hate

Couldn't agree more; I've had racing on in the background all week while I worked and watched it on my phone when I wasn't busy. 

7 hours ago, HiTech said:

Along those lines, I think back in the early 00’s there were drivers who showed up in the top tiers of the sport and we had no idea where they came from.

With live streaming, you can watch most any national touring series (USAC, WoO, ARCA), major events (Snowball), and even some local races.  More people can identify with where these guys are coming from.  People may complain about technology and mobile devices, but promoters of major racing organizations have done a great job of bringing short track racing to the masses.

I think it proves the demand is still there, even if crowds at the track aren’t what they once were.

Also, I think Dale Jr found his calling with his show.  He does a great job bringing old and new personalities to the forefront while giving relevant information and perspective to what is happening right now.

Won’t even get into the new NASCAR leadership....Brian no longer being there is the best thing that could have happened.

Edited by PAPosse

Brian France being out is a HUGE factor. Now for a reality check. Daytona and Talladega are an easy sell. You get close racing throughout which real race fans like and guaranteed crashing which others like. Let's see if the other tracks can push that momentum on or they put on the boring 7+ second separations between places like before. To sustain you gotta have close racing. We shall see.

1 hour ago, arob said:

Brian France being out is a HUGE factor. Now for a reality check. Daytona and Talladega are an easy sell. You get close racing throughout which real race fans like and guaranteed crashing which others like. Let's see if the other tracks can push that momentum on or they put on the boring 7+ second separations between places like before. To sustain you gotta have close racing. We shall see.

Great point.

20 hours ago, King237 said:

I bet they could have sold those 50.000 out .

Edited by HiTech

1 hour ago, arob said:

AROB  what brand of coffee you drink and what do you add to it .. why I ask sometimes you play with our minds and get lucky to come up with something everyone could agree on .. me I just get lucky once a year  or two .. 

23 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

THANK YOU!!!

Kind of like "I finished second in the car show" or "I finished second in the race "

How many cars were involved?

Ugh......Three

Saying Daytona was a sellout without adding that 50,000 seats were removed is a "spin factor"

Note to Reb.......glad you got it

HiTech , I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. I want NASCAR to succeed because when it is good it's really good. And when it is boring it is really boring. Up until last year boring was winning for several years. I like the stage point system. That and Brian France being out of the picture sure helped. I still don't like the Chase system.

13 hours ago, King237 said:

Kind of like "I finished second in the car show" or "I finished second in the race "

Ugh......Three

Saying Daytona was a sellout without adding that 50,000 seats were removed is a "spin factor"

It doesn't matter if 50,000 seats were removed or not.  There is a seating capacity and they filled it, there was still well over 100,000 people there and the infield was packed and off the charts.  Put aside your hates for the new nascar and look at what is happening.  There is a resurgence and in turn that is reaching down into the lower levels.  This whole grassroots campaign has been great for the sport.  When the speedweeks at New Smyrna sells out and that East Bay and Volusia were packed with sprint cars, midgets, late models and the stands were packed this is a good thing.  Steve O'Donnell and Steve Phelps have this sport pointed in the right way and with this new car coming out next year it can only get better.

4 hours ago, arob said:

HiTech , I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. I want NASCAR to succeed because when it is good it's really good. And when it is boring it is really boring. Up until last year boring was winning for several years. I like the stage point system. That and Brian France being out of the picture sure helped. I still don't like the Chase system.

I will never like the chase part ..I dont even like it at a local track .. I still believe in the over all season championship 

21 hours ago, King237 said:

Ugh......Three

Just like TMS....They took out 30K  seats on the back stretch for about 50 campers....IMHO the best seats in the place were back there upper section, out of turn two, where most of the action was....Plus, less crowd, shorter lines for the pisser, concessions, swag trailers....When the joint first opened they SOLD OUT completely, all sections the first couple years......Now they've reduced seating(back stretch) and compressed seating(front stretch)....So any "sell out" would be comparing apples to zuchinni.

2 hours ago, rebelracewriter said:

Just like TMS....They took out 30K  seats on the back stretch for about 50 campers....IMHO the best seats in the place were back there upper section, out of turn two, where most of the action was....Plus, less crowd, shorter lines for the pisser, concessions, swag trailers....When the joint first opened they SOLD OUT completely, all sections the first couple years......Now they've reduced seating(back stretch) and compressed seating(front stretch)....So any "sell out" would be comparing apples to zuchinni.

Those seat were the cheap seats .the first race in 97 that wet muddy weekend where we parked at a ranch two miles away walked to the track were the best I thought TO REB .. 20 minute walk out to the  free way and hitched a ride total  on the road . 1 to 2 hours getting out the other side ...I have sat at both ends of one and four and once in the middle .. I like the back better .