Sell out crowd at New Smyrna on Monday!

JamesHigdon

I know it’s super cute and hip to talk about everything that’s wrong with racing but for tracks that will put in the effort and put together good shows the crowds have literally never been bigger...even for NASCAR sanctioned races...even at short tracks...even in the winter...even during the week during the school year. 

https://speed51.com/new-smyrna-thrilled-to-death-with-huge-monday-crowd/

Most folks are simply sad about how they perceive the state of the sport in their area and are not trying to be cute or hip.

I am encouraged by the success certain tracks have achieved during the current economic upturn.

As I have said many times, all it takes is someone: 

1) with a true love of the sport

2) who willing to risk lots and lots of money

3) who is smart enough to hire the best in the business to take care of things and not micro-manage those folks

4) who is willing to see red ink for several years until the business gains enough traction to sustain itself eventually prosper.  

5) who is willing to listen to their stake-holders and make needed changes once consensus has been reached..

That's not asking too much.  Smart folks with access to financial resources get it done all the time in other parts of the business world. 

I just wish I lived closer. 

Nick

29 minutes ago, toyotatim said:

Nascar is pumping the Home track deal a lot.  That certainly helps

nascar helped kill the Saturday night short tracks ..now they want to help glad to see they woke up ..nascar future is  Saturday night local tracks .. 

Edited by HiTech

After watching some YouTube of New Smyrna I can see why. Pro Lates were going three wide pretty often on a very fast track. Add to that a fair amount of carnage and anger it is all there. There is one video from last year of a truck race where a guy got stuffed into the back wall. Needless to say he was quite upset and had to be restrained. Then he runs into the pits walks up to the other guys pit(no one there) and turns the pit wagon on its side by himself. Impressive! Last clip shows him talking to 2 cops!  Just watched last nights Pro-Late . All I'll say it took them 45 minutes to run 35 laps! Kinda like the Florida version of Bowman-Grey!

One thing for sure Speed51 is all over the place with their short track racing coverage, great stuff, we need this kind of exposure at HMP. The coverage is just short of MAVTV

As soon as I saw all the action at New Smyrna I Googled how close it is with the goal of taking a shot at that World Series of Stock Car Racing next year

...and stock car racing is far from dead, it just needs a couple more solid kicks in the ass here in Texas, not to mention this 2020 season is projected to be a great one!!

Nick and others on here.  It just seems to me an opportunity is being missed here.  I recently did a little online population research.  The eight county San Antonio Metropolitan Area population is 2.5 million.  The five county Austin Metropolitan Area population is 2.2 million.  The two metro areas butt against each other forming an overall 13 county Metro Area of 4.7 million people.  There are two dirt tracks here. One on the extreme south (Pleasanton) and one on the extreme northeast (Paige).  It just seems to me we have a more than adequate population to successfully support a centrally located modern asphalt track if one were built and properly managed and marketed. Am I way off base on this?  

1 hour ago, Budman said:

Nick and others on here.  It just seems to me an opportunity is being missed here.  I recently did a little online population research.  The eight county San Antonio Metropolitan Area population is 2.5 million.  The five county Austin Metropolitan Area population is 2.2 million.  The two metro areas butt against each other forming an overall 13 county Metro Area of 4.7 million people.  There are two dirt tracks here. One on the extreme south (Pleasanton) and one on the extreme northeast (Paige).  It just seems to me we have a more than adequate population to successfully support a centrally located modern asphalt track if one were built and properly managed and marketed. Am I way off base on this?  

Not at all, Budman.  All it takes is  someone: 

1) with a true love of the sport

2) who willing to risk lots and lots of money

3) who is smart enough to hire the best in the business to take care of things and not micro-manage those folks

4) who is willing to see red ink for several years until the business gains enough traction to sustain itself and  eventually prosper.  

5) who is willing to listen to their stake-holders and make needed changes once consensus has been reached.