Car Setup - Need pointed in the right direction if possible

Crosby

New to asphalt

I have a dirt "factory stock" metric Monte Carlo car I plan on running with the super stocks at HMP this year. The car is 100% set up to run on dirt. I put it on the scales last night to check where it's at; now I need someone who knows their way around an asphalt car suspension to point me in the right direction if possible. I am looking for where I should start on spring rates, ride heights, and blast mounting locations to start.

Any chance anyone has a contact I can work with?  

You might contact the track promoter? 

Back in the day, I'd get calls from new racers like you asking the same question.  I had a list of qualified crew chiefs ... and loved seeing the right folks working with one another! 

Good luck sir...

16 hours ago, Crosby said:

New to asphalt

I have a dirt "factory stock" metric Monte Carlo car I plan on running with the super stocks at HMP this year. The car is 100% set up to run on dirt. I put it on the scales last night to check where it's at; now I need someone who knows their way around an asphalt car suspension to point me in the right direction if possible. I am looking for where I should start on spring rates, ride heights, and blast mounting locations to start.

That's what I'm talking about, awesome to hear your wanting to mix it up and come to asphalt.

PM me and I can help you get some base lines of what to look for on your setup, I'm still figuring this whole suspension setup magic out myself but I'm willing to help where I can. 

My first advice though would be to read the rules thoroughly

What is the difference between the Hoosier H10595R750 vs H10590R750 ? 

They both appear to be 27.5/ 8.0-15 R750 

I understand the H10584R750; it is a shorter tire at 27" but the other two are the same size. Is there a difference in compound? 

Seems to be they all fit the "Hoosier R-750 Tire Only" rule

Also, being a newbie I would be open to making a deal with someone for their pull offs if interested. I will be looking for laps and seat time for a while; not setting the fastest lap. 

1 hour ago, Crosby said:

What is the difference between the Hoosier H10595R750 vs H10590R750 ? 

They both appear to be 27.5/ 8.0-15 R750 

I understand the H10584R750; it is a shorter tire at 27" but the other two are the same size. Is there a difference in compound? 

Seems to be they all fit the "Hoosier R-750 Tire Only" rule

Also, being a newbie I would be open to making a deal with someone for their pull offs if interested. I will be looking for laps and seat time for a while; not setting the fastest lap. 

Those are Like Hoosier Part Numbers,  there are three Part Numbers in the R-750 = Short , Medium, & Tall in the total Tire outer circumference !!!  basically the taller go's on the right side,  and a slight bit shorter over all with around 1" to 2,1/2" stagger on the left side.   The " R-750 Tire Compound" is all the same !!!  If your going to buy your tires at Smiley's so to speak.....Just ask for the stagger range number that your needing.... such as ( 86" for the right side...And maybe 85" for the left side as an example !!!)

(  The shorter = 83" & 84" range, The Medium = 85" range, Taller = 86" & 87" range !!!)  The Stagger is the only thing that Matters....

As "rocket55 said,  feel free to ask for help....Most racers are mostly willing to help out when they can....P/Ms may be the better way to communicate though....

Hope info helps....

Edited by metroracer

On 1/27/2020 at 4:32 PM, Crosby said:

New to asphalt

This is what I would baseline for a metric monte carlo at HMP- 

3200lb GM metric 4 1/2' ride height lf rf lr/ RR 5"

Not sure what we used on the shock package

Springs

LF1000     RF1200

LR 250      RR 225

55% left 49% Rear

53 % crossweight_ this should be pretty neutral- you can add or decrease to tighten or loosen to your style.

Stagger front 1-2" rear 2-2.5" - stagger is actually a mathematical equation but I found anywhere in this range was close enough and rear if locked is way more important than front

any lead as low as possible to get theses scale numbers

Ford 27, this is awesome

I am glad I posted this on here. The feed back I have received is amazing. A lot of though went into deciding to run a car on asphalt this year; knowing I would be getting help like I have would have made that decision much easier. 

I'm looking forward to it

On 1/29/2020 at 8:48 AM, Ford27 said:

This is what I would baseline for a metric monte carlo at HMP- 

3200lb GM metric 4 1/2' ride height lf rf lr/ RR 5"

Not sure what we used on the shock package

Springs

LF1000     RF1200

LR 250      RR 225

55% left 49% Rear

53 % crossweight_ this should be pretty neutral- you can add or decrease to tighten or loosen to your style.

Stagger front 1-2" rear 2-2.5" - stagger is actually a mathematical equation but I found anywhere in this range was close enough and rear if locked is way more important than front

any lead as low as possible to get theses scale numbers

Safe startup setup.  

If car pushes going into the turns,  switch the front springs.  If the car is too loose going into the turns, add some Left Rear spring rater (unless the care is loose because of a bind in the rear suspension) or decrease the tire stagger in the rear.  There are almost an unlimited ways to fix both problems (and there a two zillion other possible problems), but just keeping things simple until you get a feel for it.

Also, a rear weight percentage of 50.0 to 50.5 % seems to work well at HMP.

Nick