I-37 Speedway, A Look Ahead and a Look Back, 1-11-20

I-37 Speedway, A Look Ahead and a Look Back, 1-11-20

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton TX.,(Jan. 11Th, 2020)

Saturday night was the annual I-37 Speedway banquet, the fourth under the helm of promoters Michael Keylich, Ray Doyon III and race director George Jones.

The night honored all the class champions; Jamie Campbell(Simpson Racing Products IMCA Modifieds) his first title, multi-time, multi-class champ, Johnny Torres(Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds), former pavement Late Model Champion, Tommy Grimes(Nogolitas Gear Limited Late Model), Anthony Gordon(Alamo Hot Rod Parts Street Stocks), rookie Tryton Temple(All in Designs Pure Stocks) and back-to-back titlist, Jamie Garner(Brown Chevrolet Sport Compact). In the Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts it was Senior Division, Charles Flanagan, Junior Division, Cody Clegg and Youth Division, Cheston Markgraf.

All class sponsors were also given awards for their continuing support of the ¼ mile dirt track south of San Antonio. Other receiving honorable mention were Tommy Grimes(fan favorite), Tom Grothues(Sportsman of the Year) and Robbie Opiela for her acting as director for the Go-Kart kids.

Several new things are on the horizon for 2020, first and foremost, the change over to USRA sanctioning for the newly named Limited Modifieds, Factory Stocks and Tuner(4-Cylinder) classes. Sadly for 2020 the Street Stock class has been eliminated.

Probably the biggest news was the signing of a USMTS race to kick off the 2020 season on Feb. 28th as they open the USMTS season with a south-central Texas triple-header including I-37 Speedway, South Texas Speedway(Corpus Christi) and Cotton Bowl Speedway(Paige). This series tours all over the central region, now from border to border. Rodney Sanders(Happy, Tx.) comes into the year as defending champion.

With the addition of USMTS to the schedule, some early adjustments have been made. The originally set open practice on Feb. 28th has now moved to Jan 18th and the $1000 to win regular Modified show(Feb 29th) has been moved to March 7th, the points season opener.

Along with the USMTS show, I-37 Speedway has four Texas Dirt Truck Series events throughout the year, plus the Lone Star 600 Mini Sprints in July. The eighteen race regular season is capped off with the 2nd Annual DTK Memorial and Redneck Stress Relief IV.

For a full schedule, rules, etc. visit www.i37speedway.com or their facebook page or forum.

For info on USMTS go to www.usmts.com or their facebook page.

A racetrack with tons of sponsors is like a Christmas tree loaded with lights and ornaments.  It gets everyone up on the rev limiter and excited for the show!  Great job marketing dept.  Best of luck to all involved...