NASCAR Eliminating Live Pit Stops at Xfinity and Truck Standalone Races in 2020

rebelracewriter

I think this makes it more of a team sport.  While eliminating the element of the pit stop with professional pit crews, more of the emphasis will now be on the guys to actually turn wrenches on the car.   It will be a huge cost savings, but probably a little less exciting for the fans.    This is bringing a little old school back to the sport which everyone is calling for.   Remember the controlled stops in the old truck series?    While watching these professional pit crews do the amazing work is cool, things change.   This should make little difference to the geeks who are streaming this on their Iphone, they dont watch pit crews anyway.    I am just glad these drivers today are shaving their heads or at least putting a little rearend grease in their hair and we dont have a bunch of Kyle Pettys out there with pony tails

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think it's a good change; people have been bitching for 20 years NASCAR needed to "go back to it's short track roots" and this makes that easier. Many of the tracks we'd like to see NASCAR races at don't have the room to pit 30-40 cars and going to old-fashioned pit stops makes it easier to justify going to smaller tracks. I don't really get excited about watching guys change tires but if this makes it easier for smaller tracks (more dirt tracks, maybe some 3/8 or even quarter mile tracks) to get on the schedule I'm all for it.

My favorite NASCAR races of the last few years didn't have live pit stops; Eldora, the lower divsions racing on the back stretch at Daytona, etc. 

On 1/7/2020 at 6:30 PM, rebelracewriter said:

I figured someone with roots in local tracks would like this; makes the races more about the drivers and less about who can buy the best crew. Would live pit stops make 30 car purestock races at I37 any better...don't think so!

I figured someone with roots in local tracks would like this; makes the races more about the drivers and less about who can buy the best crew. Would live pit stops make 30 car purestock races at I37 any better...don't think so!

Ummmm....Actually short tracks do have "live" pit stops.....They don't freeze the fields under caution. What about the longer races where tires and fuel don't last and green flag pit stops are needed.

people have been bitching for 20 years NASCAR needed to "go back to it's short track roots" and this makes that easier. Many of the tracks we'd like to see NASCAR races at don't have the room to pit 30-40 cars

It was more about seating capacity than pit road space, which could have been remedied in most cases.....Look at how many of those tracks are now pulling seats out, blocking off entire sections....How'd that work out.

1 hour ago, rebelracewriter said:

Ummmm....Actually short tracks do have "live" pit stops.....They don't freeze the fields under caution. What about the longer races where tires and fuel don't last and green flag pit stops are needed.

It was more about seating capacity than pit road space, which could have been remedied in most cases.....Look at how many of those tracks are now pulling seats out, blocking off entire sections....How'd that work out.

From my perspective you’re being too literal; at I37 you don’t have everyone diving into the pits under caution to change tires for a performance advantage. Yes there are “live pit stops” but not in the way NASCAR means; live pit stops in the vast majority of local short track races are for damage. I can’t recall multiple cars ever pitting for fresh tires at I37, CTS, HMP or CCS when many cars where in the pits and time was of the essence. Maybe I’m forgetting it but even at SAS I don’t recall green flag pit stops for tires and fuel, I’m only 34 so maybe it was before my time?

Eliminating live pit stops saves money, makes racing more affordable for small teams, puts the race back in the drivers hands and makes races like Eldora viable.

As far as why NASCAR wasn’t running smaller tracks pitting cars was certainly given as a reason not to run smaller tracks and anything that can be done to eliminate barriers for smaller tracks is good. If someone at NASCAR isn’t looking at tracks like Rockford, Slinger, Winchester, Kingsport and the like and thinking they need to be at those tracks then they’re missing the boat and THIS change makes that possible.

Interesting note that I heard last week while in Charlotte.  We did a tour of the speedway, drag strip, and dirt track.  The World Finals at the Dirt track are sold out of Camping spots and seats for the next 5 years.  I asked the tour guide who has worked at Charlotte for many years, "What does that tell you?" He said people love the dirt racing and the show, no matter how dusty and dry it gets.

If someone at NASCAR isn’t looking at tracks like Rockford, Slinger, Winchester, Kingsport and the like and thinking they need to be at those tracks then they’re missing the boat and THIS change makes that possible.

I've been to Winchester, Rockford and Slinger when  I lived in the midwest....It'll never happen especially under the current regime. Neither has the space to accommodate haulers or seating needed to pay a NA$CAR-type purse....The drop off from track to infield at Slinger is far too great and Winchester would need to be repaved....Either one would tear the splitters right off.....Now the Figure-8 section of Rockford would be interesting, maybe they could get Danica back for such an event.:o:lol:

On 1/10/2020 at 1:54 PM, Josh42 said:

Interesting note that I heard last week while in Charlotte.  We did a tour of the speedway, drag strip, and dirt track.  The World Finals at the Dirt track are sold out of Camping spots and seats for the next 5 years.  I asked the tour guide who has worked at Charlotte for many years, "What does that tell you?" He said people love the dirt racing and the show, no matter how dusty and dry it gets.

I went here https://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/events/can-am-world-finals/ and found where you can buy seats/camping.  Just in case, I called to confirm.  Those media/tour guides may be FOS.   5 years ?  LOL  They told me they are not even selling that far ahead.  Come on man.......We love dirt, but ...

4 hours ago, toyotatim said:

I went here https://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/events/can-am-world-finals/ and found where you can buy seats/camping.  Just in case, I called to confirm.  Those media/tour guides may be FOS.   5 years ?  LOL  They told me they are not even selling that far ahead.  Come on man.......We love dirt, but ...

Well then I hope you told them to tell their tour guides they need to spout some truth.  I know I had to correct him when we were at the drag strip and he said the 2 of John Force's daughters still race.  I had to step in and correct him that only 1 still races.

18 hours ago, Josh42 said:

Well then I hope you told them to tell their tour guides they need to spout some truth.  I know I had to correct him when we were at the drag strip and he said the 2 of John Force's daughters still race.  I had to step in and correct him that only 1 still races.

No Sir, I did not tell them anything other than I read it online.  If I remember correctly, he said that they are not even selling tickets for this year until March. 

On 1/12/2020 at 8:36 PM, rebelracewriter said:

I've been to Winchester, Rockford and Slinger when  I lived in the midwest....It'll never happen especially under the current regime. Neither has the space to accommodate haulers or seating needed to pay a NA$CAR-type purse....The drop off from track to infield at Slinger is far too great and Winchester would need to be repaved....Either one would tear the splitters right off.....Now the Figure-8 section of Rockford would be interesting, maybe they could get Danica back for such an event.:o:lol:

They'd have to get rid of the splitters, may even tow the cars in on open trailers. Seating at the track would be irrelevant, that kind of race would make all it's money on TV and maybe it would force NASCAR to invest in some of the tracks that made it what it is. Hell, Brian probably spend more on blow in a year then it would take to repave all three tracks! 

The deal is the younger generation is doing everything online, like Iracing.   They dont care about rust bucket tracks.   They are all the same online, and some of them are getting sponsors to race online.  The funny part is they think they are racers rather than gamers.   Nascar is doing a good job promoting them and making Nascar fans out of geeks.   That is a good thing