Sport Mod Cheaters, Need more tech

broc56

I recently discovered a few tricks that are being used to cheat in the sport mod class that may help the tech guys in the future;

1) The use of 113 oxygenated fuel.

2) 16 volt batteries.

3) Taking 60 lbs of welding wire and wrapping the inside of the left real wheel to hide un-sprung weight.

The cars that I have seen using these tricks have won heat or feature races this year.

About all that 16 volts does on an HEI is extend RPM potential...as coil saturation time is dependent on voltage. That is, more voltage = less time to charge coil = higher RPM potential. A stock HEI, in good condition, will function adequately to 7,000 rpm. So, 6,200 for a stock HEI shouldn’t be a problem

The increase in spark energy is all but negligible. In other words, there is no HP advantage to 16V. The cylinder either fires, or it doesn’t...there is no magic. If your HEI isn’t misfiring...you will NOT make more power by adding voltage. Again, you will simply extend RPM capability of the ignition. 16V would be useful if you wanted to turn 7,000+.

All that being said. Yes it is illegal for Sport Mod!! I am not arguing that point. Just stating it should not be a performance advantage in a 6,200 rpm limited class.

However, per Sport Mod rules, OEM alternators with internal regulators are allowed. If you want a legal 16v (or 17v or 18v) ignition...you can run an alternator...very easy to achieve these voltages with OEM type setup.

Edited by slidejob

It's been years since this class was affordable.  If IMCA they have to run 7.5 gm rearends.  To buy one built with bracing and the gear you want they are 1,250.00 from rhino.  And if you want to run multiple tracks you have to have either multiple rearends or transmission. 

well Broc's probably a little upset cause he was told he couldn't attend the SOUTH TEXAS SHOOTOUT, I mean this post is timed perfect with him becoming aware I'm told. anyway the sport mods were teched very well this past weekend

Friday night top 2 from every heat hit the TECH pad and had weight and carbs checked

second round rear deck height's and weight 

top 8 in passing point from Friday (qualifiers) had the following checked:

compression

remove carb spacer scope the intake runners

remove headers scope the exhaust ports

heads/ valves checked for angle milling

re-check carbs

1 DQ FRIDAY FROM QUALIFIERS

I was in top 8 I know this to be accurate,

we did not finish top 5 Saturday but when I went to get paid 3:30 am  heads and one piston removed from each top 5 finisher on the table in the Turn 5 Bar

STS did an awesome job all weekend, from driver intros to race procedures to tech was a very well run/managed show thanks again for making it happen! some people just love sour grapes, been there!

on edit: not saying there isn't cheating happening, just that the post seemed directed at a track/show and it was in fact heavily teched

Edited by cperry115

38 minutes ago, chenley said:

I know of 2 engine builders here in San Antonio, that have recently built engines for 23,000 each, so how fast you wanna go.

That is what I heard too.  I was thinking that they are getting more like $35,000 and up for a turnkey sport mod.   Now, lets start adding exotic metals and nice transmissions to these boys and we can get them over $40,000 by start of the season.