Greg Davidson eyeing big Snowball Derby prize

NickHolt

Disabled Texas Racer Eyeing Big Snowball Derby Prize

by Zach Evans, Speed51

Disabled Texas Racer Eyeing Big Snowball Derby Prize
Speed51 photo

Greg Davidson is one of the true racing legends from Texas, with numerous accomplishments, titles and big wins to his credit.  However, the 68-year-old’s career suffered a major setback after a health scare resulted in the amputation of his left leg.

Davidson’s hunger to compete couldn’t be stopped, however, and after a lengthy recovery the veteran is back behind the wheel – and has twice been to victory lane in 2019 at Houston Motorsports Park (TX).  Now, Davidson hopes to bring his winning ways to Five Flags Speedway (FL) in the Outlaw Stock division at the 52ndAnnual Snowball Derby presented by BJ’s Wholesale Club.

Davidson, along with his son Chris who hopes to be competing in the Super Late Model portion Snowball Derby on Sunday, December 8, spent time testing at the Pensacola, Florida half-mile last week in preparation for the Derby.  The elder Davidson is excited to be back at the home of the Snowball Derby, a race he competed in seven times.

“I’m very lucky and blessed to be able to do this,” Davidson told Speed51.  “Everything has been pretty good.  If the driver can get his job done, we’d be better.  It’s kind of rough doing the one-foot brake and gas deal, but I’m working around that.”

Davidson’s car is equipped with a hand clutch, which allows him to shift using that mechanism and fluctuate between the gas and brake pedal with his right foot.  It is challenging, but not an insurmountable obstacle.

“I’ve got a hand clutch and use my one foot between the throttle and brake.  When you’re in traffic, you damn near need to be on both of them at one time, but the car is sorting out pretty good.”

Davidson won back-to-back races at Houston Motorsports Park in its Outlaw division, returning to victory lane for the first time since his amputation on Labor Day weekend. Davidson finished third in the season points for the class, showing plenty of speed over the course of the season.

Returning to victory lane was a special feeling for Davidson, but one he’s quick to share with his team.

“It was real special. It’s not me, it’s the people that help me.  The racing deal gives me something else to think about other than the other problems I have.  Everything’s going good and we’re super happy to be here.”

The trip to Pensacola each December for the Snowball Derby has become a routine part of the winter for the Davidson family over the years.  Davidson says it is unlike any race he has raced in, thanks in part to being able to seeing friends from around the country.

“You see people here you don’t see anywhere during the racing season.  When the season’s over, everyone from all over the country comes here. You get to see old friends and there’s not a points deal or any of that to fight with.  You just come here and race.”

While Davidson has picked up a couple of wins this year, he doesn’t even want to hazard the thought of competing for the victory on Saturday, December 7 with the Outlaw Stocks at Five Flags Speedway in his first time racing at the track in a decade.

“I don’t even want to think about it.  That would be real amazing, but there are some guys here who have these cars really sorted out.  I haven’t been on this track in 10 or 11 years.  It’s coming back slowly.”

Race fans looking to make the pilgrimage to Pensacola for the Snowball Derby can order tickets for the event now at 5flagsspeedway.com.

Thanks to Speed51’s Black Friday sale, you can now also purchase a four-day video ticket for the Snowball Derby for $79.99 and receive a free three-month subscription to the Speed51 Network.  Click here to take advantage of this sale now.

Individual video tickets can be purchased now at the regular price by clicking here.

For more information on the 52nd Annual Snowball Derby, visit Speed51’s Snowball Central.

-Story by: Zach Evans, Speed51 Southeast Editor – Twitter: @ztevans

-Photo credit: Speed51 photo