Redneck Stress Relief 3/Texas Dirt Truck Series Finale @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 11/16/19

Redneck Stress Relief 3/Texas Dirt Truck Series Finale @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 11/16/19

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.(Nov. 16Th, 2019) The 2019 racing season on the ¼ mile, semi-banked dirt track got a one week reprieve after rain delayed it last weekend. Sadly the tracks racing comes to an end tonight with the Redneck Stress Relief show and championship night for the Texas Dirt Truck Series.

Larry Baggett looks to wrap up the championship pretty much by just starting the race coming in with a 20 point advantage over Russell Rust. Tony Bernal, Russ Parker and John Heil round out the top five.

Baggett has had a good season picking up two wins early in the season, along with three seconds and two third place finishes. Others picking up wins this year are Ryan Doyon(2) sharing the ride with Talon Minten(1). Anthony Gordon and John Heil have also scored victories while running a partial schedule.

The Sport Modifieds and Pure Stocks have one more chance to get a victory to end their season or use as a tune up race for the big race in Corpus(South Texas Speedway) coming up in December.

The night also featured a Demo Derby, with a full size and compact car class.

Heil Hustles to Win, Baggett Secures Title

In the Texas Dirt Truck Series season-ender it was John Heil(Floresville) going flag to flag for the victory. Heil, who won the heat, started on the pole and beat Tony Bernal into turn 1 for the lead. Heil and Bernal began to ease away from Russ Parker and Daniel Gaudette who were side by side and swapping third.

By halfway Heil was pulling away from Bernal while Parker and Gaudette continued their scrap. As the white flag was shown it was Heil by a half straightaway advantage over Bernal easily taking the checkers unchallenged in his Rick Pollaro owned, BMF Shocks and Chassis Truck.

Points contender, Larry Baggett, who wrapped up the championship by taking the green flag had some woes throughout the race going around at the start and could never get back towards the lead group. His seventh place was his worst of the year, but enough to become the inaugural TDTS champion.

Texas Dirt Truck Series

96 John Heil, 81 Tony Bernal, 28 Russ Parker, 5 Daniel Gaudette, 43 Ryan Doyon, 77 Michael Keylich, 3 Larry Baggett, 5m Russell Rust

TDTS heat

Heat 1; 96 John Heil, 81 Tony Bernal, 5 Daniel Gaudette, 3 Larry Baggett, 5m Russell Rust, 43 Ryan Doyon, 77 Michael Keylich

Young Doyon Grabs First Sport Modified Win

Ryan Doyon(LaCoste) snagged his first ever Sport Modified win in the 20-lap feature, but it wasn't easy. At the start it was Trent Beaver getting out front trailed by Ry. Doyon, Memphis Villareal, Johnny Torres and Robby Minten. Villareal tried the high side of Ry. Doyon but couldn't get by.

Former USAC Silver Crown and NASCAR Winston Racing Series Champ, Paul White was able to get past R. Minten for fifth then past J. Torres for fourth. This left J. Torres three wide with Heath Stewart and R. Minten for fifth. Coming off turn 4, still three wide, R. Minten got into J. Torres knocking the front end askew for a lap 5 caution.

On the restart Villareal again tried the high side pass this time for the lead, but slid too high with Ry. Doyon, Stewart and White getting past. Coming to halfway Beaver and Ry. Doyon were separating themselves from the pack. At the crossed flags Ry. Doyon ducked under Beaver to get the lead at the line with Beaver, Stewart, White and J. Torres the top five.

Lap 11 saw a yellow wave after Vince Louden and Tommy Grimes made contact in turn 3. On the restart Ry. Doyon waited until the last cone to take off stacking up the pack. On the next try Beaver got a run on Ry. Doyon with a look low in turns 1-2 with the middle of the pack getting tangled, but able to continue without a caution.

Ry. Doyon began to inch ahead while Beaver and Stewart battled for second. Frank Okruhlik went around on lap 15 for a caution rebunching the field. On the restart Beaver made contact with Ry. Doyon sending him around in turn 2 collecting R. Minten, Stewart, and Allen Torres. Beaver charged with the caution and sent to the tail. He refused and was then sent off the track.

Once back to green Ry. Doyon got away clean with J. Torres and White wheel to wheel for second. J. Torres was finally able to secure the spot, but was unable to run down Ry. Doyon in the final laps with Ry. Doyon getting his first ever win in the 3-D Landscaping, Rising Star Bodies, All in Designs, CD Tire, Ace Transmission, Shipley Race Engines, IRP Chassis.

It's a great feeling(getting my first Sport Modified win.) replied Doyon. “It's a big relief for me. I've been trying for five years to get a win here, it's a tough class. It's a lot of competition to deal with every week. It's tough to get that win.”

I was a little worried about how the car was after that pile up. I was concerned that something might be bent and I wouldn't be able to finish they race. Luckily I was good to go and stay out there.”

Yes, I look over my shoulder a little bit. Whenever you're out front you know that someone might be coming or find a different line. I just focus on hitting my line, my marks and not worry about anyone's race but my own. I was pretty sure I was running the best line since I had passed a couple cars on the bottom. It would be tough for anyone go around me or they'd have to work for it(up top).”

5dd1df055b44f__SRP6442(1024x678)(2).jpg.64e99f5a813e9333ae0fcf39891790a0.jpg

Sport Modifieds

5r Ryan Doyon, 66 Johnny Torres, 96 Paul White, 94 Allen Torres, 57 Rowdy Flanagan, 30v Memphis Villareal, 31 Jamie Campbell, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 22 Tommy Grimes, 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 14 Trent Beaver, 14h Heath Stewart, 24r Robby Minten, 2 Talon Minten, 6 Vince Louden, 11t Tom Grothues, 9 Ray Doyon---dns

Sport Modified heats

Heat 1; 14 Trent Beaver, 66 Johnny Torres, 2 Talon Minten, 6 Vince Louden, 31 Jamie Campbell, 57 Rowdy Flanagan

Heat 2; 30 Memphis Villareal, 14h Heath Stewart, 24r Robby Minten, 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 22 Tommy Grimes, 11t Tom Grothues

Heat 3; 5r Ryan Doyon, 96 Paul White, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 94 Allen Torres, 9 Ray Doyon

Torres Tallies Pure Stock Pay Day

In the Pure Stock 20-lapper it was Allen Torres(San Antonio) capping off his season with a win. A. Torres and Ben Mikulencak had a good battle up front until A. Torres got by in lapped traffic just after the midway point. Mikulencak tried to fight back, but Johnny Torres kept him busy battling for second as his brother crept ahead for victory.

At the green flag waved it was Robby Minten into turn 1 first with A. Torres and Mikulencak side by side for second and Aaron Leddy fourth. It was nearly three wide coming off turn 4 for the lead with Mikulencak getting the spot on lap 2 and A. Torres getting past Minten for second a lap later. J. Torres and Leddy followed through the hole to third and fourth.

Zac Courtney lost a bumper on track for a caution on lap 5 that the race seemingly got stuck on for several restarts. The next green was short-lived as A. Torres took a look on Mikulencak while Minten retook spots from Leddy and J. Torres, but Riley Heil had trouble and stopped in turn 2 for a lap 6 yellow.

Mikulencak and A. Torres were running the top, while Minten, J. Torres and Leddy were hugging the tires as they came to halfway. A. Torres then moved to the bottom and got alongside Mikulencak for the lead. After a door to door battle for a lap, A. Torres took the point as they went three wide splitting a lapped car on lap 12.

Leddys top four run ended when he clipped an infield tire and spun to bring out a lap 16 caution. On the restart J. Torres got inside Mikulencak for second as they ran side by side. This gave A. Torres the chance to get a little breathing room that he carried to the checkers in the Allens 24/7 Towing, All in Designs, crate powered, Chevy Nova.

5dd1df2e2657b__SRP6386(1024x678)(2).jpg.3028afbd08ac347c10efc9e62379e3d5.jpg

It was a pretty good race with Ben(Mikulencak), “said A. Torres. “It's always good racing with a clean driver. I had too much wheel spin when I tried running on top, I couldn't get any bite. Once I moved to run the bottom the car was working there.”

When they gave the move over flag to the slower car I was hoping the lapped car would go up and I could take the bottom. It kind of worked out for me. I knew once I got out front that Johnny(Torres) would be there and that he and Ben would still be on my tail. I was just going to stay on the bottom. I thought if I wasn't able to run the top, they wouldn't either.”

We'll be down in Corpus for that race with the Sport Mod, but the Pure Stock isn't legal for down there. I just want to thank Tom, Roger and Kervin today, for all their help this week. The car has had a fuel pick up issue. We cleaned everything from the fuel cell to the carburetor. It still has a little flutter but we managed to get the win.”

Pure Stocks

94 Allen Torres, 13m Ben Mikulencak, 41t Johnny Torres, 9 Robby Minten, 19s Travis Slavik, 36 George Quintanilla, 17e Jerry Evans, 6 Daniel Preston, 49k Michael Keylich, 19 Daniel Miller, 92r Robert Keylich, 44k Talon Minten, 93 Aaron Leddy, 37w AJ Wernette, 30 Riley Heil, 15b JW Blocker, 30v Matthew Villareal, 2x Zac Courtney

Pure Stock heats

Heat 1; 9 Robby Minten, 93 Aaron Leddy, 2x Zac Courtney, 15b JW Blocker, 6 Daniel Preston, 19 Daniel MIller

Heat 2; 13 Ben Mikulencak, 41t Johnny Torres, 19s Travis Slavik, 36 George Quintanilla, 17e Jerry Evans, 92r Robert Keylich

Heat 3; 94 Allen Torres, 44k Talon Minten, 30v Matthew Villareal, 30 Riley Heil, 49k Michael Keylich, 37 AJ Wernette

Demo Derby

It was a David versus Goliath battle in the Demo Derby with three smaller, front wheel drive cars against three full size, rear wheel drive cars. When the dust settled, literally and figuratively, it was Cody Williamson in his Lumina taking home the win.