Heil takes TDTS finale, Baggett secures championship

Texas Dirt Truck Series Finale @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 11/16/19

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.(Nov. 16Th, 2019) The 2019 racing season on the ¼ mile, semi-banked dirt track got a one week reprieve after rain delayed it last weekend. Sadly the tracks racing comes to an end tonight with the Redneck Stress Relief show and championship night for the Texas Dirt Truck Series.

Larry Baggett looks to wrap up the championship pretty much by just starting the race coming in with a 20 point advantage over Russell Rust. Tony Bernal, Russ Parker and John Heil round out the top five.

Baggett has had a good season picking up two wins early in the season, along with three seconds and two third place finishes. Others picking up wins this year are Ryan Doyon(2) sharing the ride with Talon Minten(1). Anthony Gordon and John Heil have also scored victories while running a partial schedule.

Heil Hustles to Win, Baggett Secures Title

In the Texas Dirt Truck Series season-ender it was John Heil(Floresville) going flag to flag for the victory. Heil, who won the heat, started on the pole and beat Tony Bernal into turn 1 for the lead. Heil and Bernal began to ease away from Russ Parker and Daniel Gaudette who were side by side and swapping third.

By halfway Heil was pulling away from Bernal while Parker and Gaudette continued their scrap for third. As the white flag was shown it was Heil, by a half straightaway advantage over Bernal easily taking the checkers unchallenged in his Rick Pollaro owned, BMF Shocks and Chassis Truck.

5dd1db0d07f55__SRP6316(1024x678)(2).jpg.00b05e28ff798e0d23e13ef977704432.jpg

Points contender, Larry Baggett, who wrapped up the championship by taking the green flag had some woes throughout the race going around at the start and could never get back towards the lead group. His seventh place was his worst of the year, but enough to become the inaugural TDTS champion in his Reeses Truck Pieces, Bear Racing, Signs To Go, Langley, By The Bay Lawncare, crate powered, Chevy.

Texas Dirt Truck Series

96 John Heil, 81 Tony Bernal, 28 Russ Parker, 5 Daniel Gaudette, 43 Ryan Doyon, 77 Michael Keylich, 3 Larry Baggett, 5m Russell Rust

TDTS heat

Heat 1; 96 John Heil, 81 Tony Bernal, 5 Daniel Gaudette, 3 Larry Baggett, 5m Russell Rust, 43 Ryan Doyon, 77 Michael Keylich

We had an amazing season this year,” replied series champ Baggett. “Coming into it we never dreamed that we would wind up being champions at the end of the year. But with family and friends pulling together we got the truck together at the last minute and won the very first race. It was a sweet, sweet victory.”

This is my first championship ever. We've finished fourth in the Street Stock class at Cotton Bowl two years ago and started with the trucks this year. I knew we'd have a top five truck at least, but was never expecting this.”

I think winning the first race would have to be the sweetest. We blew the motor in the truck testing at Cotton Bowl. We got the new crate motor in three days before the first race here. My friends came together and we got running at midnight. Went to load it up and we didn't have any gears. It wouldn't go in first, reverse, anything. We scrambled fixing that, got it on the trailer and got down here and wound up taking home the win.”

All these guys are fast, good guys. I love racing with them. I look forward to racing with them again next year. We'll need to get a better set to keep up with them. These guys are amazing helping one another. I love it and we're going to continue with the truck next year.”