FORD vs. FurrrrRoy?

Budman

I keep seeing TV ads and promos for this new movie coming out soon.  Saw one just this morning on TV.  It reminded me of those great times in racing.  Soooo, I got to looking around on YOUTUBE and came across this.  It even has a couple of Texans in it you might recognize.  If you plan on going to see the movie, maybe you best not look at this.  On the other hand, if you do, you can say you first saw it here on LoneStarSpeedzone.

Edited by Budman

Oh yeah H/T.  '67 was the year I graduated from High School.  I was all into all that stuff back then.  In '66 they had one of those GT-40's on display in the SHOW ROOM at the local ford dealership in Austin.  I remember going down to that dealership just to get a look at one of those things.  Heck, they even let me sit in it.  That was pretty cool for a teenager to get to do back then.   

I couldn't watch the video from  work, so I don't know if this was mentioned in it. The background story of how Ford made the engines reliable is pretty interesting. I read somewhere about how employees found it eerie to walk by a dyno room with a Le Mans test in progress and it sounded like the engine was out on the track. 

42 minutes ago, texasprd said:

I couldn't watch the video from  work, so I don't know if this was mentioned in it. The background story of how Ford made the engines reliable is pretty interesting. I read somewhere about how employees found it eerie to walk by a dyno room with a Le Mans test in progress and it sounded like the engine was out on the track. 

Very interesting. Excellent article!

32 minutes ago, texasprd said:

You never know for sure what you can believe is true or just rumor, texasprd,  but I remember back in the day reading somewhere that a company that prepared 427 Ford engines for NASCAR had a hand to some extent in preparing the engines for those cars.  That company was named Holman-Moody.  Their trade-mark was CP, which stood for "Competition Proven".  Anyway, it's all fun and interesting, especially for someone like me who was around during that era.  I look forward to seeing that movie.   

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, HiTech said:

I WAS INJOYING  dirt bake racing  .and cc speedway racing back then .. when I had time I chased the girls  because they were running away from me ..lol ..jk.on the girls running away  for the most part ...

Ha, Ha, Ha, :P H/T, Yeah, me too.  I was out at Speed-O-Rama in Austin back then every Friday night, unless of course I was out chasing girls.  Even took a couple out there at times.  But hey, it's all good.  Anyone who had Farah Fawcett  hanging out at their house couldn't be bad, even if she wasn't chasing you. 

Texasprd I finally got around to reading that article in your post.  That was incredible for sure.  I'd recommend for anyone interested in that era read that article.  I guess that debunks the rumor of about Holman-Moody. Apparently their contract with Ford to build N-car 427s was just THAT.  What I found most interesting after all they spent on all that R&D for those LeMans motors, simply reducing the compression ratio turned out to be the fix for durability they were looking for.  Whoda thunk it?  Huh.

Edited by Budman

1 hour ago, Budman said:

.. Ha, Ha, Ha, :P H/T, Yeah, me too.  I was out at Speed-O-Rama in Austin back then every Friday night, unless of course I was out chasing girls.  Even took a couple out there at times.  But hey, it's all good.  Anyone who had Farah Fawcett  hanging out at their house couldn't be bad, even if she wasn't chasing you. 

Texasprd I finally got around to reading that article in your post.  That was incredible for sure.  I'd recommend for anyone interested in that era read that article.  I guess that debunks the rumor of about Holman-Moody. Apparently their contract with Ford to build N-car 427s was just THAT.  What I found most interesting after all they spent on all that R&D for those LeMans motors, simply reducing the compression ratio turned out to be the fix for durability they were looking for.  Whoda thunk it?  Huh.

NO she chased my brother   I WAS CHASING HER NEICE  COUPLE YEARS LATER AFTER HER CHARLES ANGEL SHOW . wow HER NIECE WAS A  knock out  she loved my blue eyes  I cant go into anything else ..zip...REMEMBER THE SONG CROCODILE ROCK ...lol... …. 

Edited by HiTech

Regarding Holman-Moody and the GT40 program...

I purchased a “Contemporary Classic” Cobra replica about 5 years ago. I purchased it from the original owner who commissioned the build in the mid-80’s. He spared no expense and still had all the documentation and build sheets from the 80’s. It had a era correct 427FE  side Oiler. On the build sheet it says “Holman-Moody Aluminum heads from GT40 program”. Again this was documented in the mid-80’s...probably before this stuff had the same perceived value it has today.

I still have the car/engine. I can attest to the fact these are the ONLY aluminum heads I have seen for an FE that have a Ford Oval logo cast into them. Until recently, Dove was the only manufacturer of aluminum heads for the FE...they started business in 1975. I have verified that Dove MFG says they never cast FE heads with the ford logo.

Thinking I might have something with some historical significance, I inquired on FE forums about the heads. While I was not able to get verification of authenticity, still no one could identify any known manufacturer of these heads besides Ford and Ford never offered aluminum FE heads...at least not to the public.

One other note in the Documentation says my heads are stamped “Holman-Moody” on the intake rail. I have never removed the intake to verify. Though this would not confirm GT40 usage.

Lastly, I do know Holman Moody campaigned a 7.0 liter GT40 in the 1966 24 hours of Le Mans. Drivers were Mario Andretti and Lucien Bianchi. Oddly enough they blew a head gasket on lap 97! 
In 1967 Ford Motor Company along Holman Moody and Shelby American campaigned a total of (7) GT40’s with 7 liter (427)...and they took the overall win.

So, Holman Moody was definitely involved in the GT40 program.  In the end there is a real chance these heads are legit!

For anyone interested, below is a pic showing the FORD logo on the aluminum Fe head...and an overhead view of the 4-carb'ed beast as it sits in the car.

ford_Fe.jpeg

ford_fe2.jpeg

Edited by slidejob
ad pics

10 hours ago, slidejob said:

So, In the end there is a real chance they are legit! 

I THINK YOU'RE RIGHT SLIDEJOB.  THERE IS A PIC IN THAT ARTICLE OF ONE OF THOSE MOTORS AND THAT SURE LOOKS LIKE A SET OF ALUMINUM HEADS ON IT.

AGAIN, AS I SAID I TOOK ANOTHER LOOK AT THAT ARTICLE AND NOTICED THAT IT WAS INDEED PRODUCED FOR/BY "FORD PERFORMANCE".  THINK ABOUT IT, WHY WOULD THEY MENTION A COMPONENT SUPPLIED BY A SUB-CONTRACTOR.  SO, UPON FURTHER REVIEW, MY STATEMENT OF "DEBUNKING THE HOLMAN-MOODY RUMOR" IS HEREBY RETRACTED (THE CALL ON THE FIELD IS REVERSED.) AS THEY SAY. 

SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU'VE GOT SOMETHINE VERY PRECIOUS THERE.  TAKE GOOD CARE OF THAT BABY !!!

11 hours ago, slidejob said:

Regarding Holman-Moody and the GT40 program...

I purchased a “Contemporary Classic” Cobra replica about 5 years ago. I purchased it from the original owner who commissioned the build in the mid-80’s. He spared no expense and still had all the documentation and build sheets from the 80’s. It had a era correct 427FE  side Oiler. On the build sheet it says “Holman-Moody Aluminum heads from GT40 program”. Again this was documented in the mid-80’s...probably before this stuff had the same perceived value it had today.

I still have the car/engine. I can attest to the fact these are the ONLY aluminum heads I have seen for an FE that have a Ford Oval logo cast into them. Until recently, Dove was the only manufacturer of aluminum heads for the FE...they started business in 1975. I have verified that Dove MFG says they never cast FE heads with the ford logo.

Thinking I might have something with some historical significance, I inquired on FE forums about the heads. While I was not able to get verification of authenticity, still no one could identify any known manufacturer of these heads besides Ford and Ford never offered aluminum FE heads...at least not to the public.

One other note in the Documentation says my heads are stamped “Holman-Moody” on the intake rail. I have never removed the intake to verify. Though this would not confirm GT40 usage.

Lastly, I do know Holman Moody campaigned a 7.0 liter GT40 in the 1966 24 hours of Le Mans. Drivers were Mario Andretti and Lucien Bianchi. Oddly enough they blew a head gasket on lap 97! 
In 1967 Ford Motor Company along Holman Moody and Shelby American campaigned a total of (7) GT40’s with 7 liter (427)...and they took the overall win.

So, In the end there is a real chance they are legit! 

LOOKS you may  have a real gem ..

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, slidejob said:

For anyone interested, below is a pic showing the FORD logo on the aluminum Fe head...and an overhead view of the 4-carb'ed beast as it sits in the car

Looks to be 4 weber carbs on that beast, correct SJ?

Edited by Budman

8 hours ago, Budman said:

Looks to be 4 webber carbs on that beast, correct SJ?

Yes, (4) Italian Weber 48IDA carbs...a bit tricky to sync all the linkage to get equal airflow.  But once they are all synch’ed correctly, throttle response is immediate!

Edited by slidejob