Double Points Night @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 8/24/19

Double Points Night @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 8/24/19

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Aug., 24th, 2019) And so it begins, to wind down. As the I-37 Speedway 2019 racing season has the end of the year in its sights, a 'Double Points Night' was on the slate to give drivers a chance to expand their class lead or narrow the gap.

The IMCA Modifieds show defending track champ, Rick Green(on vacation) leading the way again trailed by Jamie Campbell(-29) with Dillon Tindall and Justin Delgado tied for third(-85) and Bill Pittaway rounding out the top five(-87)

Another defending track champ, Johnny Torres leads the standings in Sport Modifieds by only seven over Trent Beaver. Frank Okruhlik is third only 18 back, while Talon Minten and Allen Torres have some ground to make up in fourth and fifth, respectively.

A former pavement Late Model ace, Tommy Grimes, leads the Limited Late Model field coming in 14 ahead of Jason Kelly and 63 ahead of Howie Marcx with DJ Schroat and Frank Okruhlik completing the top five.

Anthony Gordon has the lead in Street Stocks over two former Street Stock champions. Wade Jones, who missed a race on suspension is 37 back and Mike Lyon 55 back. Tony Bernal and Sterling Tausch, both over 100 points out, fill the top five spots.

The Pure Stock battle has gone on all season between Dillon Gaither and Tryton Temple. Gaither comes in with only a 17 point advantage over Temple, despite missing a race. George Quintanilla. Jerry Miller and Riley Heil have a clase battle for third within 11 points of each other.

Jamie Ball tries to defend his Sport Compact title with a mere nine point edge over Brandon McCall, who has been coming on late this season. George Compton, Kirk Ball and Johnny Ervin round out the top five.

**Drivers have the opportunity to drop one bad “finish”(suspension not included).

Carroll Collects Modified Cash

Chris Carroll(Spring Branch) looked like he was on his way to an easy victory in the IMCA Modified main, until a mid-race caution flew. Carroll, in his Carroll Construction, Simpson Racing Products, GM crate powered, GRT Chassis, then had to fend off Dillon Tindall and a last lap challenge from former champion Greg Dinsmore to secure that win.

At the start, Carroll who moved up to the pole, quickly got into turn 1 trailed by Jason Borlace, Jamie Campbell, Tindall and Dinsmore. Dismore then picked off Tindall for fourth and Campbell for third, bringing Tindall along to fourth. Behind them Donald Banker, Bill Pittaway and Landon Bednarz were three wide for sixth.

Up front Carroll was motoring away as Dinsmore got by Borlace for second with Tindall following him through for third, both a half straightaway back. At halfway it was Carroll maintaining his good lead, Dinsmore, Tindall, Borlace and Campbell with Banker and Anthony Gordon side by side for sixth.

Bednarz would spin on lap 13 to bring out a yellow erasing Carroll's lead. Carroll got off on green as Dinsmore and Tindall stayed wheel to wheel for second with Borlace, Banker and Gordon three wide for fifth. Banker took the spot and then passed Campbell for fourth.

Dinsmore finally shook off Tindall for second, but a handful of car lengths back. With two to go Dinsmore had cut the gap to three car lengths and as the white waved he drove hard into turn 1 getting to Carroll's bumper. Dismore gave it the ol college try in turns 3-4 getting the nose inside coming off turn 4. The two made slight contact and it was Carroll leading the drag race to the line for the victory.

5d62f5f9f1310__SRP4432(800x530)(2).jpg.9bb4abca594bbb9bbbb8be35e7cf737a.jpg

“Any time you can beat Greg(Dinsmore) here you count that as a big win,” said Carroll. “I'm worn out. I don't think I could have done five more laps.”

15 Chris Carroll, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 86 Dillon Tindall, 377 Donald Banker, 29 Jamie Campbell, 48 Anthony Gordon, 21 Jason Borlace, 27 Justin Delgado, 16 Landon Bednarz, 137 Bill Pittaway, m31 Marlin Samford, 2j James Samford---dns

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 21 Jason Borlace, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 377 Donald Banker, 48 Anthony Gordon, 16 Landon Bednarz, 27 Justin Delgado

Heat 2; 15c Chris Carroll, 86 Dillon Tindall, 29 Jamie Campbell, 137 Bill Pittaway, 2j James Samford, m31 Marlin Samford

Torres Tops Torres for Sport Mod Tally

After a late race restart it was Torres versus Torres for the win in the 20-lap Sport Modified honors. Allen Torres(San Antonio), who used the top to make his way to the lead, beating his brother Johnny in the two lap shootout to claim the win in his Allens 24/7Towing, All In Designs, Shoulders powered, IRP/FX Chassis.

After one try the green waved on the field and it was Talon Minten getting out front chased by J. Torres, Robby Minten, Tom Grothues and Frank Okruhlik. Okruhlik then moved in on R. Minten with the duo going wheel to wheel for several laps. At the crossed flags it was T. Minten, J. Torres, R. Minten, Okruhlik and A. Torres using the high side moving forward.

R. Minten would loop it from third in turn 4 to bring out a caution. On the restart T. Minten got out while J. Torres, Okruhlik and A. Torres were three wide for second. A. Torres cleared Okruhlik and then along side his brother taking second a lap later. A. Torres, still up top, then got beside T. Minten and out front on lap 14.

Anthony Gordon then jumped topside and went around Grothues and Okruhlik for fourth. Now everyone went to the top with T. Minten trying a slide job on A. Torres, but coming up short. T. Minten would slow and stop with two to go. On the green, white, checker restart, A. Torres got away from J. Torres who was now fending off Gordon for second. This gave A. Torres a little breathing room to score the win.

5d62f61c07dfd__SRP4383(800x530)(2).jpg.17f03b47e674a44eaef34ad834699799.jpg

“Tonight was all about getting this new dialed in,” commented Torres. “When I'm in the car racing with my brother kind of all goes out the window. I just focus on running good and getting to the front. There's so much tough competition in this class”

“After running the Pure Stock on the top I tried running the middle for a couple laps and went right back up to the top. The car was sticking real good. I just tried hit all my corners and not mess up.”

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds

94 Allen Torres, 66 Johnny Torres, 22m Anthony Gordon, 11t Tom Grothues, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 14 Trent Beaver, 24r Robby Minten, 30 Chris Swenson, 9m Ben Mikulencak, 2 Talon Minten, 5r Ryan Doyon, 57 Rowdy Flanagan, 117 Johnathon Garcia

Sport Modified heats

Heat 1; 2 Talon Minten, 11t Tom Grothues, 5r Ryan Doyon, 22m Anthony Gordon, 57 Rowdy Flanagan, 14 Trent Beaver, 117 Johnathon Garcia

Heat 2; 66 Johnny Torres, 24r Robby Minten, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 94 Allen Torres, 30 Chris Swenson, 9b Ben Mikulencak

Green to Checkers for Grimes

Tommy Grimes(Devine)added another dirt win to his already impressive list of accomplishments. Grimes battled side by side at the start with his rival and mentor, Frank Okruhlik in the first few laps. A spin by Okruhlik dropped him back leaving Grimes to pull away for the win in his Tracy Rail Service, Howell Crane & Rigging, All in Designs, TRC Carburetors, Longs Race Engines, Shaw Chassis.

Grimes and Okruhlik stayed door to door at the start of the 15-lap Limited Late Model main with Grimes getting the edge on lap 1 over Okruhlik, Bob Henderson, Howie Marcx and Jacob Crow. Lap 3 saw Okruhlik half spin, twice, giving up a spot to Henderson. Okruhlik would retake the spot, but had already given up ground to Grimes.

Okruhlik's woes continued as he pulled off leaving Grimes with a huge lead until John Kelly sr. brought out a yellow on lap 7. On the restart Grimes again eased away while Henderson and Marcx battled for second with Crow and DJ Schroat side by side for fourth.

Grimes showed no mercy on the field as he pulled out to a full straightaway lead. Behind him, Henderson and Marcx had a good fight for second while Crow and Schroat continued to swap fourth. As the white was shown Grimes had nearly a half track lead going unchallenged to the checkers.

5d62f63a67360__SRP4277(800x530)(2).jpg.063a66b408b0a3f946adc868bd39e8cd.jpg

“This was a big night,” exclaimed Grimes. “I was worried about this one. They took four tires, duct tape, shears to the infield. This night(double points) will make or break you for sure.”

“Frank-o has helped me a lot on this car. He recommended that we go to this tire on the car. I have to thank him a lot. That was good racing. I enjoy racing him side by side like that.”

“Coming in leading a points race is some pressure. We did that in 2000 when I won a championship. We had one last race to go. We knew we had to finish ahead of Chris Davidson. I've been on both sides of these double points nights. You're looking forward to them, because it will help, but like tonight I wasn't because it could just take the whole year away.”

“I gotten comfortable in this car now. Some of the stuff we're doing for the dry slick tracks takes some getting used to. It's a lot different than an asphalt car.”

Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models

22t Tommy Grimes, 86 Bob Henderson, 13 Howie Marcx, 5 DJ Schroat, 8 Jacob Crow, 95 Jerry Jones, 57 Jason Kelly, 57sr John Kelly sr., 99 Frank Okruhlik

Limited Late Model heats

Heat 1; 99 Frank Okruhlik, 86 Bob Henderson, 8 Jacob Crow, 57sr John Kelly sr., 95 Jerry Jones

Heat 2; 22t Tommy Grimes, 13 Howie Marcx, 57 Jason Kelly, 5 DJ SChroat

Gordon Golden in Street Stock

Anthony Gordon(San Antonio) had an easy go of it in the 15-lap Street Stock feature. Gordon grabbed the early lead after a complete restart pulling away from Aaron Leddy, Tony Bernal, Mike Lyon and Sterling Tausch. Bernal and Lyon would get by Leddy for second and third before yellow waved for an EMS call to the stands.

Once back to green Bernal tried to hang with Gordon while Leddy and Lyon ran side by side. Darin Blevins took advantage and got by Leddy for fourth then Lyon for third. By halfway Gordon had stretched out his lead on Bernal and cruised to the checkers in his Alamo Hot Rod Parts, All in Designs, Dewalt Tools, 8T1 Construction, crate powered, Dog House Chassis.

Alamo Hot Rod Parts Street Stocks

22m Anthony Gordon, 81 Tony Bernal, 69 Darin Blevins, 20 Mike Lyon, 43 Aaron Leddy, 95 Sterling Tausch

Street Stock heat

Heat 1; 22m Anthony Gordon, 43 Aaron Leddy, 81 Tony Bernal, 69s Darin Blevins,20 Mike Lyon, 95s Sterling Tausch

Torres Tops Twice

Allen Torres scored his second win of the night in the 20-lap Pure Stock feature, this time coming from fourteenth starting spot. Being one of the first to find the high line, Torres made his way to the front just after halfway, then held off Ben Mikulencak and Dustin Hurley in a green, white checker shootout for the win.

As green waved it was Du. Hurley first to turn 1 ahead of his brother Dakota Hurley, William Saunders, Dillon Gaither and Tryton Temple. Ronnie Sparks and Gary Butler made contact leaving some parts on track for an early caution. On the restart Da. Hurley looked under Du. Hurley for the lead with Gaither and Saunders side by side for third.

Da. Hurley, Saunders and Gaither then went three wide for second with Saunders getting the spot. Another caution for debris slowed the pace briefly. Saunders began looking high on Du. Hurley for the lead on the restart but fell back to third, while Torres, Temple and Gaither were three wide for fourth.

Da. Hurley again took a look on Du. Hurley for the lead but a spin by Riley Heil negated the pass. Back to green Da. Hurley slowed dramatically clipping Saunders and scattering the field on the back stretch with several cars involved. Daniel Miller got the worst of it taking a wild ride into the infield jumping an infield track tire.

Finally back to green it was Torres getting by Saunders for second and challenging Du. Hurley. Still running the high side, Torres was able to drive around Du. Hurley for the lead on lap 12 while Ben Mikulencak, also relegated to a mid-pack start, got past Temple and Saunders for third. Katherine Keylich spun in turn 4 with the leaders in turn 3 forcing a caution on lap 15.

Mikulencak took a look low on Du. Hurley for second as green waved, but Scott Jerkins slapped the front stretch wall for another caution. A time limit was called for a two lap shootout. On green Torres, Du. Hurley and Mikulencak went three wide for the lead.

Torres would hold on to the point with Mikulencak taking second from Du. Hurley. Coming to the checkers Du. Hurley would loop it of turn 4 while Torres was holding off Mikulencak taking his second win of the night in his Allens 24/7 Towing, All In Designs, crate powered Chevy Nova.

“Points didn't matter much in this class,” said Torres. “This car always works on the top and I pretty much stayed there. Ben(Mikulencak) was committed to the bottom. It's awesome racing with him. Sometimes we were four wide.”

All in Design Pure Stocks

94 Allen Torres, 13m Ben Mikulencak, 99 Tryton Temple, 98 William Saunders, 91 Johnny Westfall, 30 Riley Heil, 51 Albert Medellin, 36 George Quintanilla, 5 Dillon Gaither, 4d Dustin Hurley, 9b Gary Butler, 10 Scott Jerkins, 49k Katherine Keylich, 40 Dakota Hurley, 66k Michael Keylich, 41t Elgin Tracy, 75 Jerry Miller, 19 Daniel Miller, 22r Ronnie Sparks

Pure Stock heats

Heat 1; 4d Dustin Hurley, 98 William Saunders, 75 Jerry Miller, 10 Scott Jerkins, 51 Albert Medellin, 19 Daniel Miller

Heat 2; 13m Ben Mikulencak, 40 Dakota Hurley, 30 Riley Heil, 91 Johnny Westfall, 49k Katherine Keylich, 9b Gary Butler

Heat 3; 94 Allen Torres, 5 Dillon Gaither, 41t Elgin Tracy', 66k Michael Keylich, 36 George Quintanilla, 22r Ronnie Sparks

Schoenbaum Showin' the Way

There's a new Sport Compact sheriff in town and his name is Brian Schoenbaum. Scoenbaum is on a heater taking the Sport Compact once again giving the points chasers a run for their money, literally and figuratively. Schoenbaum got by early leader Brandon McCall at halfway then eased away for the victory.

At the start it was McCall getting the advantage with Schoenbaum, Roy Easler jr., Kasey Krauss and Jamie Garner in tow. Garner picked off fourth from Krauss while Schoenbaum closed up on McCall's bumper. As Schoenbaum looked for a faster line, Easler joined the duo running nose to tail.

Garner also joined the lead trio and took third from Easler. Schoenbaum finally got a run on McCall ducking low off turn 4 coming to halfway. At the line it was Schoenbaum, McCall, Garner, Easler and Krauss. As Scoenbaum began to inch ahead, McCall got hung by a slower car giving Garner an opening to take second.

With five to go Schoenbaum had built a comfortable margin on Garner, McCall and Easler running nose to tail. At the checkers it was Schoenbaum in his Phils Motorsports, Central Cedar, Big A's BBQ, B&C Graphics, Twisted Phone, Spillman Excavating, five1seven Designs, Cedar View Homes, B&C Hydrographics, Bonham Recovery, Superior Steering Wheels, KR Promotions, Kernal Lees Kettle Corn, HD Chassis, Chevy Cavalier.

Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts

719 Brian Schoenbaum, 33 Jamie Garner, 14 Brandon McCall, 12 Roy Easler jr., 23 Kasey Krauss, 29t George Compton, 1 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 5L Scott Lesher, 88 Justin Sitterle, 01t Adolph Tracy, 38 Kirk Ball, 95m Daniel Lopez, 01g Adam Tracy, 11j Josh Jones, 15 Devon Surritt, 22j Jordan Albert----dns, 25 Robert Fox---dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 14 Brandon McCall, 1 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 88 Justin Sitterle, 5L Scott Lesher, 15 Devon Surritt, 22j Jordan Albert

Heat 2; 23 Kasey Krauss, 33 Jamie Garner, 38 Kirk Ball, 95m Daniel Lopez, 01g Adam Tracy, 25 Robert fox

Heat 3; 719 Brian Schoenbaum, 12 Roy Easler jr., 29t George Compton, 01t Adolph Tracy, 11j Josh Jones

Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts

Senior Division; Charles Flanagan, Caylor Nesloney

Junior Division: Cody Clegg, Gaige Whitaker

Youth Division; Cheston Markgraf, Blaine Markgraf