Crucial All Star Weekend looms for Reutzel after another Win

NickHolt

Crucial All Star Weekend Looms for Reutzel after Another Win

by Lonnie Wheatley

CLUTE, Texas (August 22, 2019) – Another All Star Circuit of Champions weekend resulted in another win for Aaron Reutzel and the Baughman-Reutzel Motorsports No. 87 Sprint Car team.

Now, just a few points out of the lead, the reigning series champion takes on a four-race weekend in central Pennsylvania as he tries to recapture the point lead following an unfortunate DNF last Friday night in Michigan.

“This is the weekend that won us the championship last year,” the driver of the Folkens Brothers Trucking/Dissolvalloy Downhole Revolution Triple-X Sprint Car commented.  “We went in just a few points behind Paul (McMahan) and had a really good weekend.  Now we’re just a few behind Dale (Blaney).  Hopefully we can have the same kind of finishes that we had last year.”

It’s a weekend that begins at Grandview Speedway on Thursday before moving on to the storied Williams Grove Speedway on Friday, Lincoln Speedway on Saturday and then BAPS Motor Speedway on Sunday.

The same swing last year netted a win at Grandview along with a third-place finish at the Grove and then fifth-place runs at Lincoln and BAPS.

Reutzel enters the four-race stretch coming off seventh series win of the year last Saturday at Indiana’s Plymouth Speedway.

After being taken out by another car under red flag conditions the previous night, Reutzel meant business from the beginning at Plymouth aboard the Precision Catalyst/Hollywood Blasting & Coating/Beard Equipment machine.

He set a new track record of 12.233 seconds in qualifying and then earned the pole position for the 30-lap feature with a Dash win before leading all 30 laps for his ninth overall win of the season.

It got a little closer than the pilot of the Nattress Construction/Momentum Racing Suspensions machine might have liked though.

“I got to the first group of lapped cars and they were all running the same line, so I was able to get through them pretty well,” Reutzel explained.  “The second group was racing each other and I slowed my pace down to get through them.  I almost slowed down too much and (Brock) Zearfoss nearly got to us.”

It could have easily been a weekend sweep after Reutzel was in command at Michigan’s I-96 Speedway the previous night.  After setting another quick time, Reutzel led the way until a red flag flew and another car ended his night.

“We were out front and I was just trying to burn down some laps and not do anything stupid,” Reutzel says.  “They called a red flag over the radio, so I slowed down and just got taken out.”

The DNF proved costly in terms of points.  Reutzel and the BRM No. 87 team look to regain that ground in central Pennsylvania this weekend.

2019 Quick Stats:  59 races, 9 wins, 26 top-fives, 36 top-tens.

Next Up:  All Star Circuit of Champions at Grandview Speedway (Bechtelsville, PA) on Thursday, Williams Grove Speedway (Mechanicsburg, PA) on Friday, Lincoln Speedway (Abbottstown, PA) on Saturday and BAPS Motor Speedway (Newberrytown, PA) on Sunday.   

Keep Track:  Keep track of Aaron Reutzel’s on-track action including schedule and results at http://www.aaronreutzelracing.com/, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aaron-Reutzel-Racing/117666254913127 or on Twitter at @AaronReutzel.  You can also e-mail Aaron at aaronreutzel@yahoo.com.

If you would like Aaron Reutzel Racing press releases e-mailed directly to you, send your e-mail address to Lonnie Wheatley at lonniewheatley@gmail.com.