TSTRS - Input needed

TSTRS

4 hours ago, rocket55 said:

As much as this will effect our team, I agree with this. I get asked often if I'm running SS or Outlaws, in which I'm running SS, but ultimately there does need to be "House Classes". I have my thoughts on how those rules would look but at the end of the day I'll still be at HMP competing in whatever class my cars fit in. 

I believe HMP's success will continue if we invest in the current classes, rather than what could come. We all know whats popular on DIRT, and we all see that trucks are popular in asphalt. Our team has something in the works that our goal is to have it run  in the last race of the year. When we bring it out and it stays up front in the Super Stocks, they'll be no excuse why other metric chassis Pro-Stocks can't compete with confidence of being competitive. 

....and I ABSOLUTELY agree with putting down some traction treatment, that outside grove doesn't get used enough for a reason. 

Wise grasshopper...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been curious (and skeptical) on how the life of  10" pulloffs would compare to new 8" tires so I queried a team that's run Factory Stocks and other metric cars on dirt and at HMP.  The initial response was positive, that the pulloffs would definitely be a cost savings.  I invited them to this thread, so I'll not say any more for the moment, but I thought it relevant to this point in the conversation. 

The last full season that we ran the pro stock class we started off the season with a new  set of tires. After that we ran nothing but 8"  pulloffs from a modified team . We wasn't the fastest , but for two races,  the times didn't fall off much at all. $80 a set.  Used about 5-6 gallons of fuel a night. Ran mostly stock parts , nothing fancy. And had a good season. And a whole lot cheaper than a current factory stock. Still pulling for the pro/streetstock class. I know it's not a crossover class, but there are a few setting around waiting for the word.

25 minutes ago, scotty9 said:

The last full season that we ran the pro stock class we started off the season with a new  set of tires. After that we ran nothing but 8"  pulloffs from a modified team . We wasn't the fastest , but for two races,  the times didn't fall off much at all. $80 a set.  Used about 5-6 gallons of fuel a night. Ran mostly stock parts , nothing fancy. And had a good season. And a whole lot cheaper than a current factory stock. Still pulling for the pro/streetstock class. I know it's not a crossover class, but there are a few setting around waiting for the word.

I think if you allowed  Novas, eight or ten inch tires, any non-quick change rear end, and headers, and reduced the allowable cam to what is in the Factories, the classes would combine.

Ask any spectator in the grandstands if they can tell the difference between the cars in the Super Stock class, and the Outlaw Stock class. The answer will be NO! There are barely enough cars to make a decent class even with them combined. I have not  had a car in the program, but I know a lot about racing. All of my racing experience is on on dirt track, but I have been a regular spectator at HMP  for a long time.  The only reason that those two classes are two different classes is because of all of the whining, and crying from the people who race those two classes (all 6 or 7 of them). Combining the two into one class, and tweaking the rules a little bit is a NO-BRAINER! It is totally ridiculous to run two separate classes of indentical cars who only have a handful of cars in each class. The two classes could be run together, and scored separately even. At least that would put a decent car count on the track.

Edited by Chipperd93

As much as I would like to see the pro/streetstock cars racing , it just doesn't look to promising.  If they allowed Novas to run with the factory stock class, my car would pass ( all parts in stock location). But, all I own are 602 crates, which are not allowed. Then again , no need  to start changing rules to accommodate one or two cars. 

19 hours ago, Bobby said:

I've been curious (and skeptical) on how the life of  10" pulloffs would compare to new 8" tires so I queried a team that's run Factory Stocks and other metric cars on dirt and at HMP.  The initial response was positive, that the pulloffs would definitely be a cost savings.  I invited them to this thread, so I'll not say any more for the moment, but I thought it relevant to this point in the conversation. 

we have been running the same  10 inch pull offs all season long on two cars .down south . . we would most likely wipe them out at hmp . .but the cost is cheap and we would not have a problem running under dirt rules ..at that track ..would be fun .and would show up .

Last year's discussion about the Super Stocks was Open motor = 3200#; 602 = 3100#. (The issue being a little more HP and rotating inertia.) Beyond this? I haven't heard anything in the pits regarding the class rules; and the Supers generally pit together. The 81, 8, 44, 49 are all fast cars. It's up to us to catch up. And we will.

I agree, that having a large time differential across the field can affect the class but when is this not the case? We saw the same thing in the Pro Stocks. There are slower cars with faster drivers and faster cars with slower drivers. And then there are slower cars with slower drivers and faster cars with faster drivers. This sounds like racing to me.

Oh, the plan for the 55 is to make it a 'Super' Stock simply because this is the class at HMP, and I enjoy the sport. Personally, I'm not a big fan of fiberglass bodies; I'm just not. But that's my choice to run a steel bodied car against lighter, aero fiberglass cars. But wait, isn't it about 'weight'? (Pun intended.)

When Webster and I were running the only thing in common was the name of the class, 'Pro Stock'. Yet, we were able to put on a show. (Scotty9 in the #16 had some nights too.)  Now the show happens to be 3/10ths faster than my best time. Sounds like racing. As far as a metric chassis in the Super Stock class? The trucks run metric chassis' and run nearly identical times. So, its within the realm.

I'm on the fence regarding tires. Unless I have a tire with no tread depth I generally do not buy a tire.

But, if I'm correct, this discussion is not about the existing classes?

As far as purse, that's up to the promoter. The promoter will then look to the class for car count. More cars = more $.

" FYI"  >>>>  IF  <<<<<  TSTRS was to bring the "Factory Stocks" to HMP as a Dirt Crossover add in class.....

The Factory Stock Rules that they are "THINKING" of are listed below.....

Notice ….that these Rules are the "Ark-La-Tex" Northern Texas & Northern Louisiana area Factory Stocks...

A Cut above than most South Texas area Pure Stocks that think they are Factory Stocks....

Just giving Teams a heads-up on what may be coming.....

Take note to the .447 lift cam rule.....& Body requirements...

However,  I am sticking FIRMLY with my vote for the Street Stock / Pro-Stocks and to Grandfather the Supers into the Outlaws...

thanks....

2019 FACTORY STOCK RULES.pdf

factory stock body diagram.pdf

Edited by metroracer

13 hours ago, metroracer said:

" FYI"  >>>>  IF  <<<<<  TSTRS was to bring the "Factory Stocks" to HMP as a Dirt Crossover add in class.....

The Factory Stock Rules that they are "THINKING" of are listed below.....

Notice ….that these Rules are the "Ark-La-Tex" Northern Texas & Northern Louisiana area Factory Stocks...

A Cut above than most South Texas area Pure Stocks that think they are Factory Stocks....

Just giving Teams a heads-up on what may be coming.....

Take note to the .447 lift cam rule.....& Body requirements...

However,  I am sticking with my vote for the Street Stock / Pro-Stocks and to Grandfather the Supers into the Outlaws...

thanks....

2019 FACTORY STOCK RULES.pdf

factory stock body diagram.pdf

In one of my earlier posts, I referred to these cars as "Thunder Bombers." That is exactly what they are. These rules are nearly word for word identical to the Thunder Bomber rules we ran with at HRP in Baytown 10-15 years ago.  I have no idea why anyone is spending $12,000+ on a "Factory Stock with these rules. (That's what I'm reading they are paying) I can only assume that at that price they are being cheated up something fierce.  I can build one of these for half that much, but I wouldn't. It's not worth it as far as I am concerned. I am with "metroracer" on this one. " I am sticking with my vote for the Street Stock / Pro-Stocks and to Grandfather the Supers into the Outlaws..."

There are many positive  suggestions in this thread and I’m sure Gina has a better understanding of the many issues involved when trying to integrate classes from various venues. 

Let’s not let our various opinions become bones of contention please. 

Nick

On 8/17/2019 at 12:44 PM, rocket55 said:

5d674714da62f_RaceCar@HMP.thumb.jpg.91ad813d80ec32287fcc6b5e913cb227.jpgI think it’s fair to say we all know the differences between the Supers and Pros Stocks....at the end of the day most owners of the Pro Stocks don’t even bring there car to the track. 

The #90 car proved a point last race, he showed up turned some laps, had some fun and drove his car back on the trailer with a little less gas and some tires a little more worn. That is what needs to continually happen, stop focusing on winning and “oh the rules blah blah blah” 

If it’s running and ready to race, then bring it out and open that throttle up. 

Is the goal to win the race....absolutely! However I’ve been running by Super Stock for 3 years now and haven’t placed higher than 4th and it really doesn’t bother me non because I SIMPLY ENJOY RACING. 

It’s a hobby that’s pay, not a business we’re looking to build an empire on. 

OK so how many Pro Stocks or Super Stocks are coming off Jack Stands for this weekend?   I wanna come watch... not sure if that will be through my face shield and my windshield yet though? 

Edited by BrianBell90

Trying to remember the lap times for the factory stocks that visited hmp in the past . Since then I know they have become faster  . The average time for pro stocks a few seasons ago was 16 - 16.5 a lap( not all , but most) Just trying to see if there would be a possible way of combining these two classes to make one class without changing the pro stocks ( to much) that are sitting and waiting . A mid 16 sec per lap class,  I think is very affordable and competitive. 

Edited by scotty9

26 minutes ago, scotty9 said:

Trying to remember the lap times for the factory stocks that visited hmp in the past . Since then I know they have become faster  . The average time for pro stocks a few seasons ago was 16 - 16.5 a lap( not all , but most) Just trying to see if there would be a possible way of integrating these two classes to make one class without changing the pro stocks that are sitting and waiting. A mid 16 sec per lap class,  I think is very affordable and competitive. 

Low to mid 17 second - https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1463927

Scotty here are King of the Hill times for the same driver Justin Whitehead for the last 4 years.  2016--- 18.692 ………...2017--- 18.392 ………… 2018--- 17.681...……..2019--- 18.232    Keep in mind these will be his fastest lap during the A Feature each year.   I've always told everybody that " I'm Slow"  my car is way way way  heavier then others and my short block is BONE STOCK !!!!  My car was built as a "Factory Stock" 15 years ago, it since has been set up for asphalt and has rear jack bolts and a front sway along with aluminum intake and a different carb.   But here is what has kept me coming back to Asphalt ….. my HMP 3/8 mile lap times are faster then the fastest Factory Stocks and even the Limited's on a 1/4 mile dirt track, its the speed through the corners and the "cleaner" racing that draws me so much I guess????.  In Bobby's link above Nathan was driving my car for the 1st time ever on the track and he got right up to my fastest lap times.  I'm sure he could get faster as I'm also sure the Factory Stock guys that ran that night could get a lot faster if they had someone help them with set ups etc.   

• 2 weeks later...

Well. There's a couple of pro / streetstock cars up for sale that is very capable of running in the November race. I'm just not giving up on this class , these cars need a class and a  track  to race at. Can't speak for any other person , I'm about to make my final decision which way I go.  Would definitely be happy to run asphalt again , but I'm not going to spend a lot of money and still   get my a$$ spanked  by the (super stocks) and run at the rear of the pack.  I know it's about having fun, be honest who enjoys running last. 

14 hours ago, scotty9 said:

Well. There's a couple of pro / streetstock cars up for sale that is very capable of running in the November race. I'm just not giving up on this class , these cars need a class and a  track  to race at. Can't speak for any other person , I'm about to make my final decision which way I go.  Would definitely be happy to run asphalt again , but I'm not going to spend a lot of money and still   get my a$$ spanked  by the (super stocks) and run at the rear of the pack.  I know it's about having fun, be honest who enjoys running last. 

Yes you are very Right  - Spanked !!!! is putting it nicely !!!!   Right again, I would much rather race my car there again my self.  But I just down right refuse to race with that "Exclusive Club Members Only - Super Stocks".....So I have chosen to try sell my entire race team if I can Soon !!!! Every Racer wants a fair & equal chance to Win if he can, But not to only finish Near Last or Last every race. Race Tracks must try to strive to insure a Safe, But a Level Playing Field as well with the racing classes.

I have a race ready race car, a race ready race driver.....But Not a Race Ready  Home Race Track to Race at.

Scotty9 is right,   Racing is Fun.....But not so much Fun when you come in last all of the time when I am racing a "Super Stock" racing up against (Limited Late Models)

I'm with you Scotty, I would like to race there again.....But time is running out real soon!!!

any one can't say that we did try very hard and we were very nice about it also.....

thanks for your time LSSZ...

Edited by metroracer

Yeah sir  , you can say we've tried.  What ever the outcome maybe I will continue to support all local hometown short track racing( asphalt or dirt).  Just gotta make  my decision now. Hunting season is approaching and I have a son that very invested in duck hunting and I support him 💯 percent.   But dang I wanna race asphalt .

Edited by scotty9

9 hours ago, scotty9 said:

Yeah sir  , you can say we've tried.  What ever the outcome maybe I will continue to support all local hometown short track racing( asphalt or dirt).  Just gotta make  my decision now. Hunting season is approaching and I have a son that very invested in duck hunting and I support him 💯 percent.   But dang I wanna asphalt race this November ,  or 2020 season. Any body need a driver Lol.

Well Scotty...if you really want to race, you and I might be able to work something out. I have another Super Stock sitting in my storage that I just pulled the drivetrain out of and have realized the driver box is to short for me. I'd prefer to sell the car...but it just has to many good parts on it and it's actually an old late model from SA. I firmly believe you are still ready to get out there and turn laps, however I can't say the same for other parties. 

I seriously considered running the car at the end of the year but I'm not cutting up the driver box when I need to focus on the 22. 

One thing for sure in the SS Class, if your not consistently running mid to high 15s (dam near the Pro Truck times), you won't stand a chance. I only know of a few Pro Stocks that managed to get under a 16 and they had plenty of room to be faster, however the rules didn't help. 

Rocket 55 , i truly appreciate the offer, Thank you. As much as I would like to turn some laps , I would  feel more comfortable doing it in my equipment , just in case something happens. Just trying to figure out which way to go for next season. Waterfowl hunting tends to take up a lot of time during the winter months.dosent leave much time for anything else. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well it would be very nice to hear the Final out come,  or Direction, or the Determination of what Cross Over Class that will be added or not added at our Local Speedway.   This information really could be helpful to the Racers that are concerned here that may be impacted by any changes or not,  One Way Or The Other !!!!  A Follow up or Updates to any changes would be very welcome!!!

Edited by metroracer