TSTRS - Input needed

TSTRS

The Sport Mod boys showed up at Kyle and there are hundreds and hundreds of them out there.   There changes are minimal.   A cross promotion from some track to where the highest average finisher between their track and HMP would be great. 

I really dont care to watch factory stocks. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, toyotatim said:

The Sport Mod boys showed up at Kyle and there are hundreds and hundreds of them out there.

I am not going to deny this but look at who the racers were that showed up.  The racers that showed up were already racing asphalt at Kyle there was not a whole lot of crossover racers.  The changes are a little more than minimal, your going to have to lower ride heights and center of gravity, look at your standard setups on dirt sport mod.  Those setups would not work on asphalt.  The only way its going to work is purse you have to make them want to do it.  If you throw out the same purse as what they can get staying on a dirt track, why would you change it over. 

In all honesty Tim just think about it if you had a sport mod lets say your based out San Antonio. Your car is setup to run dirt at I-37 and you have been running good there.  You also occasionally travel to STS, Texana, CBS.  You know that at your local track you win your getting $450, you can travel to the other tracks on an off night and your getting the same.  HMP puts on a race for sport mods and they are paying $450 to win as well.  Where are you going to go race? Somewhere where you have to change your setup completely up, plus buy tires, or are you going to go somewhere where you know you just have to unload not change a thing and go have fun?

That's why I'm saying if they are going to do it they are going to have to make it worth their while to make the changes and spend the money to come race there.  I'm not disagreeing with you that the cars are there, there is a lot of them you just have to make it worth their while to do it.

On 8/8/2019 at 9:40 AM, TSTRS said:

If anyone has any input on a new dirt/asphalt class or series for Texas racing - please email me about it.  Tell me what dirt class you think would be the best to do some crossover racing with so it is cost-effective and will not take away from dirt or asphalt but could enhance racing as a whole in 2020.  I am thinking maybe 6 races next year?  Maybe more if it works - and possibly introduce the class at TSTRS last race this year - Nov 9th?  Just possibilities.  

Please accompany each opinion with a 'why' :)  

I have been talking with a few of you, but I am told how there are many others with very strong opinions by the handful I have spoken with.  I would like to hear from you!  

gina@txarp.com

In the subject please add:  Dirt Crossover Class/Series

I need some more help!

Gina Schild Knowles

(713) 907-0906

gina@txarp.com

*******Don't forget to come out to HMP - Saturday, August 31st for the Advance Auto Parts Labor Day Classic!!

Dirt cross over? My pick would be the Factory Stocks. Why? Watching those guys on dirt is pretty awesome. Don't change the cars - just bring them out.

With respect to my cars, I have either two Super Stocks, or two Pro Stocks. But, the 55 WILL change. I'll change the UCA mounting points and put a third link in it and that will be that. The motor will eventually get set back to #1. What does that make it then? Right now, I like the Super Stock class; wish there were more cars though. Last race there were 8, but some had problems. When you're out there driving it's very different! It really reminds me of running the Pro Stocks back in the day. I would get my butt kicked just about every week and then we started getting a little quicker each time out. Then, next thing you know we were bringing home trophies! The time differential now is really no different than the Pro Stocks back in the day. If i recall correctly, the time differential was over a second.

5 hours ago, Josh42 said:

I am not going to deny this but look at who the racers were that showed up.  The racers that showed up were already racing asphalt at Kyle there was not a whole lot of crossover racers.  The changes are a little more than minimal, your going to have to lower ride heights and center of gravity, look at your standard setups on dirt sport mod.  Those setups would not work on asphalt.  The only way its going to work is purse you have to make them want to do it.  If you throw out the same purse as what they can get staying on a dirt track, why would you change it over. 

In all honesty Tim just think about it if you had a sport mod lets say your based out San Antonio. Your car is setup to run dirt at I-37 and you have been running good there.  You also occasionally travel to STS, Texana, CBS.  You know that at your local track you win your getting $450, you can travel to the other tracks on an off night and your getting the same.  HMP puts on a race for sport mods and they are paying $450 to win as well.  Where are you going to go race? Somewhere where you have to change your setup completely up, plus buy tires, or are you going to go somewhere where you know you just have to unload not change a thing and go have fun?

That's why I'm saying if they are going to do it they are going to have to make it worth their while to make the changes and spend the money to come race there.  I'm not disagreeing with you that the cars are there, there is a lot of them you just have to make it worth their while to do it.

Exactly!  And if you are willing to do that to attract classes from other forms of racing, why not for the ones already established?  The governing and economic factors are no different.  If you keep bringing the same logic to bear, you will get the same results.

And in addition to the suspension changes, there are probably gearing issues too...

Edited by Bobby

7 hours ago, j.j.&s.racing said:

A good factory stock cost about 12,000 to get built. Plus engines. 

And, it is a glorified "Thunder Bomber" worth about 1/2 of that (with an engine) That is the problem.  The Thieves who over charge to build them, and the fools who are willing to pay 3 times what they are worth.

7 hours ago, Josh42 said:

I disagree. There are an abudance of Sport Mods (Limited Modifieds) in existence. Many of them are not owned by cheaters who spend $10,000+ on an open chambered motor that should cost about $3,500, $15,000 chassis, with $1,000 shocks. Those guys (The cheaters) can stay at the dirt track with the other cheaters. The honest guys who want to run in an affordable series can bring their Legitimate Sport Mods to HMP, and put on a good show for a loyal fan base.

Edited by Chipperd93

1 hour ago, Chipperd93 said:

And, it is a glorified "Thunder Bomber" worth about 1/2 of that (with an engine) That is the problem.  The Thieves who over charge to build them, and the fools who are willing to pay 3 times what they are worth.

dang I guess we over paid and got took  we are fools you say . call out the navy … .we looked at building a new factory stock  our selves we have always built our cars . but time  and age and getting lazy would have cost us more ... it was cheaper to order one than build it  we actually save money ....our 10 year old car was getting well  .. OLD  . .

Edited by HiTech

7 hours ago, radracr said:

Dirt cross over? My pick would be the Factory Stocks. Why? Watching those guys on dirt is pretty awesome. Don't change the cars - just bring them out.

With respect to my cars, I have either two Super Stocks, or two Pro Stocks. But, the 55 WILL change. I'll change the UCA mounting points and put a third link in it and that will be that. The motor will eventually get set back to #1. What does that make it then? Right now, I like the Super Stock class; wish there were more cars though. Last race there were 8, but some had problems. When you're out there driving it's very different! It really reminds me of running the Pro Stocks back in the day. I would get my butt kicked just about every week and then we started getting a little quicker each time out. Then, next thing you know we were bringing home trophies! The time differential now is really no different than the Pro Stocks back in the day. If i recall correctly, the time differential was over a second.

You'll win some for that trophy room soon bud.  Keep it up.

9 hours ago, j.j.&s.racing said:

A good factory stock cost about 12,000 to get built. Plus engines. 

$12,000 to go 50 mph down the straights?  Those boys are getting ripped off.

The bicycles at SAS were a hit.  Very affordable, probably $125 or so turnkey (or pedal ready I guess) with slime filled tires so no flats.  Just a thought.

ok guys lets stop bashing the people that run Factory stock.  Its fine if factory stocks are not your type of racing.  They are a fun class to watch and there is a lot of them that nice cars that are fast.  The sport Modified would also be a good cross over.  This topic was started to ask what class could be an asphalt / dirt cross over.  Not which class that is already on the track should be boosted up.  If Gina or any one wants to start a topic about the current classes please do.  Also I can say that most "dirt" racers do not have an issue with "asphalt" racing.  A lot of us wouldn't mind giving it a try but for myself I cant afford it.  There were several "dirt" guys that converted their cars to run at HMP.  we need to drop this "dirt" vs "asphalt" conversation because at the end of the day they are both just racing.  I am a fan of Racing regardless if it is the two mentioned above or Drag, road coarse, off road, or any other.  The price of cars today are a reflection of the market.  The price of new cars are up and the cost of used cars are down. Many people prefer the new cars because they don't feel a used car can be as competitive.  We control what we want to spend.  In closing lets keep this on topic and if a certain type of racing is not your favorite doesn't mean that you need to down grade the people that do it or love it.   

9 hours ago, Chipperd93 said:

I disagree. There are an abudance of Sport Mods (Limited Modifieds) in existence. Many of them are not owned by cheaters who spend $10,000+ on an open chambered motor that should cost about $3,500, $15,000 chassis, with $1,000 shocks. Those guys (The cheaters) can stay at the dirt track with the other cheaters. The honest guys who want to run in an affordable series can bring their Legitimate Sport Mods to HMP, and put on a good show for a loyal fan base.

I think you missed what I was saying, I agree there is an abundance of Sport Mods but I said you have to make it worth their while to switch over from dirt to asphalt.  I didn't say anything about "cheaters" or money costs.  I just mentioned your going to have to make this purse worth it for them to switch.  Bobby got where I was going with this post, why make a bigger purse for a class that might bring some cars when you can reinvest in the classes you already have and try to get more.  Also the dirt track fan base is pretty loyal as well.  I always see the same people at the different race tracks we travel to.

Here's what needs to be done, forget about trying to add a dirt crossover.  Finish out the rest of the season and then sit back after the last race and revaluate the classes.  Then sit back and restructure the classes.  Do what you can to get the most cars in a class.  This might irritate some people but if they really want to race they will find a way to make their car fit in the rules.

18 hours ago, TexasTornado said:

You'll win some for that trophy room soon bud.  Keep it up.

$12,000 to go 50 mph down the straights?  Those boys are getting ripped off.

The bicycles at SAS were a hit.  Very affordable, probably $125 or so turnkey (or pedal ready I guess) with slime filled tires so no flats.  Just a thought.

LOL! My sentiments exactly. Those suckers who paid $12,000 for a glorified "Thunder Bomber" are gonna be pissed off.

Ok y'all got me into this conversation.  I would recommend HMP to not bring anymore classes into the racing program until they have solidified the current competitive classes.  From a spectators viewpoint, the current classes on asphalt are not easily distinguishable.  I would suggest HMP work on building a core group of brands "classes" before any thought of expanding the program.  An outlaw car shouldn't look like a modified, a street stock shouldn't look like a late model, and a  truck should look like a truck.  Yes, some will be upset because not everyone's car will fit the rules. However, in the long run its better for the competitors and spectators.  We recently traveled to Elko Minnesota and watched a race at Elko Speedway.  I have to admit they have got it figured out.  The stands twice the capacity of HMP were full, the racing program had three classes,  a great intermission event, and lastly the concessions had great food, cold beverages.  The classes consisted of a beginner class, a street stock style class, and a late model class.  The racers ran qualifying and two features.  The fans got their money's worth and the racers got their track time.  

Speaking strictly from a fan standpoint at every track I have been most of the time the Factory Stock/Pure Stock class is the best feature race of the night and with the highest car count. Of course that is dirt track.  I was wondering if traction treatment would be cost effective. I've noticed a lot of NASCAR and tracks on MAVTV were using it and it really amped up side by side racing .

Beforie adding a new series and having to pay an excessive purse just to draw them, why not pay a purse to all the series you currently have showing up and racing? 

As a driver in the legacy series we have raced at Kyle and HMP for the last several years without any purse payed by the track. After looking back at all races this year at HMP the Legacies have the highest average car count. And that, I would think, deserves some sort of compensation from the track. Now I know TSTRS hasen't been running the show all season but, I think you should take care of the classes you have before adding more. Especially since they themselves have said the purse would have to be substantial for them to even consider showing up. 

Just my .02

1 hour ago, arob said:

Speaking strictly from a fan standpoint at every track I have been most of the time the Factory Stock/Pure Stock class is the best feature race of the night and with the highest car count. Of course that is dirt track.  I was wondering if traction treatment would be cost effective. I've noticed a lot of NASCAR and tracks on MAVTV were using it and it really amped up side by side racing .

I think Texas Tom and Nick will attest that it used to be used at Pan American every night.

1 hour ago, kgould said:

Ok y'all got me into this conversation.  I would recommend HMP to not bring anymore classes into the racing program until they have solidified the current competitive classes.  From a spectators viewpoint, the current classes on asphalt are not easily distinguishable.  I would suggest HMP work on building a core group of brands "classes" before any thought of expanding the program.  An outlaw car shouldn't look like a modified, a street stock shouldn't look like a late model, and a  truck should look like a truck.  Yes, some will be upset because not everyone's car will fit the rules. However, in the long run its better for the competitors and spectators.  We recently traveled to Elko Minnesota and watched a race at Elko Speedway.  I have to admit they have got it figured out.  The stands twice the capacity of HMP were full, the racing program had three classes,  a great intermission event, and lastly the concessions had great food, cold beverages.  The classes consisted of a beginner class, a street stock style class, and a late model class.  The racers ran qualifying and two features.  The fans got their money's worth and the racers got their track time.  

As much as this will effect our team, I agree with this. I get asked often if I'm running SS or Outlaws, in which I'm running SS, but ultimately there does need to be "House Classes". I have my thoughts on how those rules would look but at the end of the day I'll still be at HMP competing in whatever class my cars fit in. 

I believe HMP's success will continue if we invest in the current classes, rather than what could come. We all know whats popular on DIRT, and we all see that trucks are popular in asphalt. Our team has something in the works that our goal is to have it run  in the last race of the year. When we bring it out and it stays up front in the Super Stocks, they'll be no excuse why other metric chassis Pro-Stocks can't compete with confidence of being competitive. 

....and I ABSOLUTELY agree with putting down some traction treatment, that outside grove doesn't get used enough for a reason. 

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:19 PM, Chipperd93 said:

Amen to that.