Do you use VP Fuels? Better read this....

NickHolt

42 minutes ago, TheCloser said:

How about a summary?

Allegedly VP Switched from using Methyl tert-butyl ether ((CH₃)₃COCH₃) to using Etylr tert-butyl ether (C2H5OC(CH3)3) which doesn’t oxygenate fuel as well thereby dropping the octane rating of fuel (from 110-107 approximately). They then used “return fuel” (waste product) to cut their base fuel. Customers started loosing engines and went to their supplier (Dion Fuels who was buying house fuel from VP and rebranding it as their own) and wanted to know why, Dion ran tests and figured out VP had changed their contractually required formulas without telling anyone and intentionally hid it. VP essentially sold (or sells) two grades of some fuels; MTBE (the good stuff) and ETBE (the cheap stuff) with MTBE going where they think it may be tested and ETBE getting used otherwise. If your VP fuel barrel has “reg” printed on the front by the product name it’s what you’re paying for otherwise it’s the cheap stuff.

Edited by JamesHigdon

Sure sorry to read that negative news.  Back in the day ... VP was the primary sponsor for my Super Late Model team.  I always held them in the highest regard ... they took first-class care of me and many other competitors I raced against. 

Judging from the depth and intensity of the alleged deceptions and ensuing cover-ups, regaining trust will be difficult, at best. Racers do not like being lied to when it comes to things that go in, or on, their race cars....

Perhaps a new owner and management team would help restore faith.

I read most of the law suit document. It mentions that even VP's pump gas failed state testing at a Massachusetts gas station. VP makes small-engine fuel - it claims the highest octane of any of the small-engine fuels that I've seen. I wonder if even that meets it's advertised rating.

Back in the days when I used to bracket race my street car at Alamo Dragway, I would get a few gallons of VP ahead of time and mix it with pump gas for a little insurance. Sad to see a once-good company hurt by someone who buys a majority stake and (allegedly) does something like this.

54 minutes ago, rebelracewriter said:

Interesting that when I googled it the date shown was June 2019....

Don’t know anything about that; I was just reading the text and noticed it was referencing 2009 and the filing date is 2010. Maybe it’s an ongoing case or has again become relevant?