Davenport with the flag-to-flag LOLMDS win at Florence

NickHolt

Davenport Goes Flag to Flag at Florence

UNION, Ky. (June 29, 2019) - Jonathan Davenport posted a flag-to-flag victory in Saturday night's 33rd annual Ralph Latham Memorial at Florence Speedway.

1.jpg.19757c57f71121fc3011c23c4562a91b.jpg
Heath Lawson photo

Davenport held off a furious late-race challenge from Jimmy Owens for a $12,000 payday. Davenport's triumph marked his eighth Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series win of the season.

Davenport and Owens ran first and second the entire 50 laps, battling nose-to-tail in the early stages of the race. Hudson O'Neal; the defending race winner; and Josh Richards exchanged the third spot on several occasions in the final laps before O'Neal edged out Richards. Mike Marlar rounded of the top five finishers in a race that went the entire distance without a caution flag.

Davenport earned his second-career Ralph Latham Memorial win and was very pleased in Lucas Oil Victory Lane. "I had a good spot to watch the race last night at Tazewell. I think we had a car that could've won last night. We started in the back and I went too hard too early. I thought the rain was right on us. I wasn't going to give this one away. After they watered the track tonight, I had no idea where to go. I knew Jimmy [Owens] was under me and I wanted to give him some room."

"I didn't want to ruin our night right off the bat," said the two-time and defending National Champion. "I have to thank Josh [King] for giving us a good track to race on. I tore this thing up last night and thanks to my crew guys for putting it back together. We are happy to be back in Victory Lane. I wasn't making up any time on the lapped cars. I was just spinning my tires there for a while. I was trying to save them until the end. I was trying to keep Jimmy at bay."

Owens was coming off of a fifth-place finish at Tazewell and hounded Davenport for the entire race. "I didn't expect it to go caution free. We have a lot of professional drivers out here and everybody did a great job. I was needing some oxygen there about half-way through. I was pounding on that cushion and that just wasn't for me. It was a rough night at Tazewell last night. The crew busted their tails to get this thing ready for tonight."

O'Neal charged from eleventh to pick up the third spot. "I wasn't hoping for a caution I was praying for one. We needed one there. We got behind early tonight. We were pretty good in the heat race. We drove up through there in the feature and I can't complain a bit, we have had a really good weekend. I know we have wins but we have been missing that consistency. This is a race track we have been waiting all year to come to. I can't wait to come back here in August."

The winner's Lance Landers Motorsports-owned, Longhorn Chassis is powered by a Cornett Racing Engine and sponsored by: Nutrien Ag Solutions, ASC Warranty, Penske Racing Shocks, Valvoline, Mega Plumbing of the Carolinas, Spartan Mowers, and Hawkeye Trucks.

Completing the top ten were Tyler Erb, Kent Robinson, Kody Evans, Earl Pearson Jr., and Tim McCreadie.

Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series 
Race Summary 
Saturday, June 29, 2019
33rd Annual Ralph Latham Memorial
Florence Speedway - Union, Ky.

Miller Welders Time Trials
Fast Time Group A: Kyle Bronson / 15.656 seconds (overall)
Fast Time Group B: Jonathan Davenport / 16.139 seconds 

Penske Race Shocks Heat Race #1 Finish (10 Laps, Top 4 Transfer): Jimmy Owens, Tyler Erb ®, Devin Moran ®, Nick Hoffman, Jackie Boggs, Trevor Landrum, Kyle Bronson, Kyle Strickler, Victor Lee, Dustin Nobbe, David Douglas

FK Rod Ends Heat Race #2 Finish (10 Laps, Top 4 Transfer): Josh Richards, Kody Evans, Hudson O'Neal, Gregg Satterlee, Billy Moyer, Jr., David Webb, Tim McCreadie, Duane Chamberlain, Jason Jameson ®, Troy Cruse, Jason Miller-DNS

Simpson Race Products Heat Race #3 Finish (10 Laps, Top 4 Transfer): Jonathan Davenport, Mike Marlar, Michael Norris, Earl Pearson, Jr., Jesse Lay, Stormy Scott, Austyn Mills, Jeff Alsip, Roger Williams, Robby Hensley, Greg Johnson

Lucas Oil Products Penetrating Oil Heat Race #4 Finish (10 Laps, Top 4 Transfer): Kent Robinson, Darrell Lanigan, Boom Briggs, Dale McDowell, Shanon Buckingham, Scott James , Billy Green, Shane Clanton, Justin Rattliff, Jared Hawkins, Josh Rice

Lucas Oil Products Red "N" Tacky Spray Grease B-Main #1 Finish (12 Laps, Top 3 Transfer): Trevor Landrum, Kyle Bronson, Kyle Strickler, Victor Lee, Dustin Nobbe, Jackie Boggs, Billy Moyer, Jr., Duane Chamberlain, Jason Jameson ®, Troy Cruse, David Webb, Tim McCreadie-DNS, David Douglas-DNS, Jason Miller-DNS

FAST Shafts B-Main #2 Finish (12 Laps, Top 3 Transfer): Stormy Scott, Shanon Buckingham, Scott James , Jesse Lay, Justin Rattliff, Jared Hawkins, Jeff Alsip, Roger Williams, Shane Clanton, Billy Green, Josh Rice, Austyn Mills-DNS, Robby Hensley-DNS, Greg Johnson-DNS

Lucas Oil Feature Finish (50 Laps):
FINISH
START
CAR #
DRIVER NAME
HOMETOWN
EARNINGS
Jonathan Davenport
Blairsville, GA
$13,100
Jimmy Owens
Newport, TN
$6,300
Hudson O'Neal
Martinsville, IN
$4,200
Josh Richards
Shinnston, WV
$3,550
Mike Marlar
Winfield, TN
$2,250
1T
Tyler Erb ®
New Waverly, TX
$2,600
7R
Kent Robinson
Bloomington, IN
$1,500
4G
Kody Evans
Camden, OH
$1,300
Earl Pearson, Jr.
Jacksonville, FL
$2,000
Tim McCreadie
Watertown, NY
$1,800
2H
Nick Hoffman
Mooresville, NC
$1,075
17m
Dale McDowell
Chickamauga, GA
$1,050
Michael Norris
Sarver, PA
$1,025
1M
Devin Moran ®
Dresden, OH
$1,700
Darrell Lanigan
Union, KY
$1,000
Kyle Strickler
Troutman, NC
$1,000
40B
Kyle Bronson
Brandon, FL
$1,700
2s
Stormy Scott
Las Cruses, NM
$1,700
Shanon Buckingham
Morristown, TN
$1,700
Billy Moyer, Jr.
Batesville, AR
$1,700
Gregg Satterlee
Indiana, PA
$1,000
18L
Trevor Landrum
Erlanger, KY
$1,000
99B
Boom Briggs
Bear Lake, PA
$1,000
David Douglas
Hamilton, OH
$1,000
Scott James
Lawrenceburg, IN
$1,000

Race Statistics
Entrants
: 44 
Lap Leaders: Jonathan Davenport (Laps 1 - 50)
Wrisco Feature Winner: Jonathan Davenport
Margin of Victory: 0.663 seconds
Cautions: none 
Series Provisionals: Tim McCreadie, Billy Moyer Jr.
Florence Speedway Track Provisionals: David Douglas
Optima Batteries Hard Charger of the Race: Tim McCreadie (Advanced 13 Positions) 
Midwest Sheet Metal Spoiler Challenge Point Leader: Jonathan Davenport
Allstar Performance Power Move of the Race: Tim McCreadie
Sunoco Race for Gas Highest Finisher: Jimmy Owens 
Eibach Springs Rookie of the Race: Tyler Erb
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Race: Cornett Racing Engines 
Ohlins Shocks Chassis Builder of the Race: Longhorn Chassis 
Outerwears Crew Chief of the Race: Taylon Center (Hudson O'Neal)
Dirty Girl Racewear Fastest Lap of the Race: Josh Richards (Lap #9 - 16.691 seconds)
Hot Rod Processing Tough Break of the Race: Scott James
STEEL-IT Most Laps Led: Jonathan Davenport (50 Laps)
PFC Brakes Pole Award: Jimmy Owens 
Time of Race: 14 minutes 57 seconds

Lucas Oil Championship Point Standings:
POS
CAR #
DRIVER NAME
HOMETOWN
Jonathan Davenport
Blairsville, GA
$146,375
Earl Pearson, Jr.
Jacksonville, FL
$72,375
1T
Tyler Erb ®
New Waverly, TX
$83,175
Josh Richards
Shinnston, WV
$62,200
Tim McCreadie
Watertown, NY
$55,225
Jimmy Owens
Newport, TN
$63,075
1M
Devin Moran ®
Dresden, OH
$51,225
Hudson O'Neal
Martinsville, IN
$71,100
40B
Kyle Bronson
Brandon, FL
$48,325
Shanon Buckingham
Morristown, TN
$38,075
Billy Moyer, Jr.
Batesville, AR
$29,950
Don O'Neal
Martinsville, IN
$45,150
2s
Stormy Scott
Las Cruses, NM
$22,775

*Results are unofficial until Close of Business on the Tuesday following Race Day*