Well they finally did....not since 1960

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Stevebrown said:

Well, the good old boy theory has been shot down.   Christopher Bell with Joe Gibbs Racing has bden disqualified for ride height violation.   Just to be clear, it us not the shock guys fault.   The shocks were disconnected dyring the process.     That eliminates the two previous media attacks in innocent people

Now I'm impressed....Though it wasn't taking a win away.....Now off the get a Cup car?....We'll see.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:31 AM, HiTech said:

we all   know one thing for sure..shocks .springs adjustments .tire pressure the driver sweat ten pound of water into seat .what ever .someone screwed up..nascar is making a statement .

Not many people that have won races have not screwed up.  If you are not pushing the envelope and even exposing yourself to this type of stuff, you are a back marker.   Nothing wrong with that either.   

4 hours ago, toyotatim said:

Not many people that have won races have not screwed up.  If you are not pushing the envelope and even exposing yourself to this type of stuff, you are a back marker.   Nothing wrong with that either.   

Why should you have to push the envelope? If everyone just stayed within the rules everyone would be equal. When you're trying to push that envelope you more often than not exceed that envelope. I would rather win by staying within the rules. It gives me more satisfaction to know we were all equal and I was the best that race.

4 hours ago, Radical said:

Why should you have to push the envelope? If everyone just stayed within the rules everyone would be equal. When you're trying to push that envelope you more often than not exceed that envelope. I would rather win by staying within the rules. It gives me more satisfaction to know we were all equal and I was the best that race.

TOYOTA .. I been racing and going to the races from 1961 till now . if you have to cheat to win . then you dont know what your doing …. not one car have we raced ever failed tech ...not saying it cant happen . but we do work hard at staying with in the rules .it is much more rewarding when we beat a cheater or a money car .i had racers thinking i was cheating under the hood in 1990 .. so when the motor retired out the side of the block . i handed everyone who thought i was cheating the parts they thought were illegal . five tech man found nothing . never heard another complaint .i worked on my car to make it faster through the turns .and even today i still do the same thing with our other cars ..soon enough we will get this new car right where it needs to be .with legal parts .

Question.

I know this is over simplifying this particular situation but  here it goes.

When the "car of tomorrow" came out and all were exactly the same. (yeah i know) we began to notice some cars seemed to be dog legging down the track. It soon became obvious that some one had determined that the car was faster when the body was going into the wind diagonally rather than head on.  Nascar says here's your body don't change it. Bodies were mounted slightly out of square to the chassis but not changed.

Thinking outside the box working within the rules as stated or cheating?

I have had completely legal parts confiscated in tech. No one is perfect (cept Jesus) not even the tech guy. Which, by the way, is another thankless job but thank God some are willing to do it.

The bodies were mounted right.  The angle of the body was manipulated by messing with the rear end. 

14 hours ago, HiTech said:

TOYOTA .. I been racing and going to the races from 1961 till now . if you have to cheat to win . then you dont know what your doing …

Noone said you had to cheat to win, but if you are not pushing the envelope, you are a back marker.  Say what you want.   Pushing the envelope it where miscalculations, parts fatigue etc. put you in the penalty area.   If you build you car with a lot of tolerance, you will be in the back.    Not many race winners have not been busted.    It isnt fun to run in the back.   It is better to push the envelope and take pictures with the trophy girl than take pictures with drunk fans in the pits after the race because they lapped you.   LOL

Believe it or not I agree with Tim.  Rule books tell you what you cant do not what you can do.  The teams job is to find that grey area in the rule and manipulate the living daylights out of it.  You put that thing to where it is almost losing its balance of falling off the cliff of being legal. You get that ride height to the point of when they put that checker on it is so close you couldn't put a gnat's ass in there.  Your not cheating your still in the rules. 

When we ran sprint cars the rule was if you ran a fire bottle you could weigh 1550lb but if you didn't you had to weigh 1575lb.  Now the rules said "fire bottle" it didn't elaborate to what the actual rule was so drivers would put the smallest fire extinguisher they could find and mount it on the car. Most of those fire bottles weren't even certified to fight an alcohol fire.  I also know for a fact that there was a few bottles were empty but the system was there.  I will not elaborate on how I know this but all I can say is the rules just said fire bottle didn't say it had to be operational.  Now before the safety people jump on this let me let you in on a little info.  We had two separate occasions where we had to use our fire bottle and it was full my drivers chose to get their butts out of the car as quickly as possible instead of pulling the pin for the fire bottle. I had always told them we can replace a racecar but we cant replace you. 

We also did studies over 4 separate feature races on dry slick tracks and we knew exactly how much fuel we would burn and how much to put in before the feature so that when we rolled across the scale after the race we were as close to 1550lbs as we possibly could be.  The night we won our feature we went across the scales at 1552lbs. They checked tire durometers and we were dead on what the tires had to be and our race was good and legal.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:33 PM, HiTech said:

TOYOTA .. I been racing and going to the races from 1961 till now . if you have to cheat to win . then you dont know what your doing …. not one car have we raced ever failed tech ...not saying it cant happen . but we do work hard at staying with in the rules .it is much more rewarding when we beat a cheater or a money car .i had racers thinking i was cheating under the hood in 1990 .. so when the motor retired out the side of the block . i handed everyone who thought i was cheating the parts they thought were illegal . five tech man found nothing . never heard another complaint .i worked on my car to make it faster through the turns .and even today i still do the same thing with our other cars ..soon enough we will get this new car right where it needs to be .with legal parts .

HiTech, you just nailed how to win on a short track. Sure, put that high dollar motor in your car, but if you can't get it to turn, doesn't mean much. The cars that win a lot are cars that handle well. As a driver, I'd rather be able to carry moderate speed and maintain through the corners rather than haul ass down the straights and stop in the turns. The other trick is too be able to run a groove no one else can. Growing up at CC and near Greg, I remember him being able to win several races by being able to use the outside line, more recently, Josh and Gary were successful running the high line. Not too many DQ at the tech pad that I can remember and this was when everyone used DOT tires and basically, stock shocks you can get at Auto Zone or O'Reilly. From what I have seen the past couple of years, most of the DQ are coming on suspension parts, body rules, and a few compression or carburetor issues, but mostly suspension and body and the occasional weight infraction. 

• 1 month later...

Might not be the shocks fault though. Maybe the shock/spring combo was designed to be right at tolerance but didn’t factor in enough leeway for the chassis changes throughout the race. Let’s say the crew chief decides to put 2 turns of “wedge” in the RR on the first stop, a turn in both rears on the second stop, and another half turn in the right rear on the last stop. At the end of the race the RR is 2-1/2 turns higher and the LR is a turn higher. Never touched the front heights on pit stops but what happens to the nose heights? The nose is past the front pivot points and you raised the back of your “flat line” of the ride heights. The front of the flat line will go down.

If you start the race with zero tolerance room to spare, you run this risk over the course of a race with multiple adjustments. 

31 minutes ago, MUmscheid 51 said:

Might not be the shocks fault though. Maybe the shock/spring combo was designed to be right at tolerance but didn’t factor in enough leeway for the chassis changes throughout the race. Let’s say the crew chief decides to put 2 turns of “wedge” in the RR on the first stop, a turn in both rears on the second stop, and another half turn in the right rear on the last stop. At the end of the race the RR is 2-1/2 turns higher and the LR is a turn higher. Never touched the front heights on pit stops but what happens to the nose heights? The nose is past the front pivot points and you raised the back of your “flat line” of the ride heights. The front of the flat line will go down.

If you start the race with zero tolerance room to spare, you run this risk over the course of a race with multiple adjustments. 

This post just made an incredible amount of sense. To a race fan.

If the car was pushing that bad, removing a round from the LR and adding a round in the RR would be the way to avoid the issue you are bring up, Michael. I would hope an experienced Cup crew chief running tie down shocks would know better than to all add rounds all in the same corner.  Or use a spring rubber.

I remain convinced that what's happening is the front springs selected are too soft to overcome the "tie down" effect of the high rebound shocks, in this case, the LF spring and LF shock combination.

We ran into this problem at HMP several times before the ride height rule was changed.  

I agree every Nascar team’s shocks being used today have progressively become several times more aggressive than in the past and that it has a high probability of being the cause. I’m just also saying they might have just missed it on their guesstimating of what the track was gonna do.

Maybe they were anticipating the track loosening up over the course of the race so wanted the nose planted at the beginning. They then would be lowering the back of the car while adjusting which would raise the nose. Minimizing that would be a necessity for sure.

Also, the traditional way of loosening the car would still lower the LF nose as you raise the RR and lower the LR which adds weight to the LF. 

Anotger thought has to do with aero adjustments which we don’t have to worry AS MUCH about while averages 90-95 at tracks like Kyle or HMP. I know for a fact they raise both rears to loosen the car overall but get the spoiler in the air a little more so the entry stability stays relatively close. Just some thoughts.

I am also glad they are actually cracking down on this as they already allow a tolerance (yellow) which every team immediately could care less about the green zone anymore. If you roll through and in the green everywhere, someone is getting a talking to about why they aren’t winning...

13 hours ago, NickHolt said:

If the car was pushing that bad, removing a round from the LR and adding a round in the RR would be the way to avoid the issue you are bring up, Michael. I would hope an experienced Cup crew chief running tie down shocks would know better than to all add rounds all in the same corner.  Or use a spring rubber.

I remain convinced that what's happening is the front springs selected are too soft to overcome the "tie down" effect of the high rebound shocks, in this case, the LF spring and LF shock combination.

We ran into this problem at HMP several times before the ride height rule was changed.  

During a pit stop, if you made adjustments on both sides to try to retain your ride height , you would probably lose more in the pits than you gain on the track.   Denny said he felt like something broke on the left front...

17 minutes ago, toyotatim said:

From what I understand, the button broke that lifts the car back up after pulling it down for the race.  My friends wife told my cousins nephew and he informed my son who texted me that info

We've been wondering where you obtain all your insider info...