Driver Meet-n-Greet @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 5/18/19

Driver Meet-n-Greet @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 5/18/19

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(May, 18th, 2019) Seems like it's been forever since cars hit the track at I-37 Speedway because of rain outs. Tonight the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt oval dodged the storms and was able to give the fans their racing fix.

Full moon? No problem. Off time jitters? No problem. Usually the adage of 'full moon' racing holds true to form, but not tonight as most classes saw little to no problems. Four of the six regular classes went green to checkers. Pure Stocks and IMCA Modifieds were the exceptions.

This was meet-n-greet weekend with all the drivers on track during intermission to talk to their fans and hand out hero cards.

Morris Magic Again in Modifieds

After winning his first ever IMCA Modified main event, Chris Morris(Taylor) returned to the scene of the crime, as it were, and picked up I-37 Speedway win number two, his third of the season. Morris was able to move up quickly and get early leaders Landon Bednarz and Jamie Campbell then motor away for the win in his Volvo of Austin, Tina Reagan Realty, ACM Services, Opifex Equipment, Eightfold, Five Star Concrete, Bet All Racing, Austin Cutting & Coring, five1seven designs, crate powered, Lethal Chassis by David Stremme.

The start of the 20-lap IMCA Modified feature was a little rocky. Bednarz got the edge off turn 2, but four wide in the pack in turn 4 proved to be bad as PJ Egbert, Donald Banker, Rick Talley and Cody Tidwell got tangled to bring about a complete restart.

Bednarz again got the lead off turn 2 chased by Campbell, Justin Delgado, Morris and Bill Pittaway. Former IMCA National champ, Egbert got by Pittaway and Delgado for third on lap 1. Campbell then was able to go past Bednarz for the lead on lap 2, with Morris charging.

Morris went around Bednarz on the high side then ducked under Campbell to snag the top spot on lap 4. Egbert snuck by Bednarz for third with Cody Leonard taking fifth from Pittaway. Campbell tried to fight back on Morris for the lead while Leonard and Egbert were side by side for third when a yellow waved for a Zac Riley spin.

On the restart Morris jumped ahead with Egbert and Leonard getting by Campbell. At halfway it was Morris easing away, Egbert, Leonard, Campbell and Pittaway in the top five. By lap 11 Morris was catching traffic, but a Banker spin brought out a yellow. Leonard would pull off under caution ending his night.

Once back to green Morris got a good jump while defending track champ Rick Green began a late charge getting by Pittaway and then Campbell for third. Morris was again pulling away when Campbell looped it for a late caution. As green waved and Morris pulled away, Green and Egbert ran side by side second. This left Morris uncontested at the checkers while Green edged out Egbert for second.

5ce1adb5f0738__SRP0917(1280x848)(2).thumb.jpg.ba835e18177e84a3e8a54687676abf73.jpg

“I knew it was going to be tough,” said Morris. “There's quite a few good guys here. I feel like I had to work a little more for that one, than the first one. I makes it all that much sweeter.”

“Seeing PJ(Egbert) roll in puts a little pressure on. We ran against him at Heart O' Texas(Waco) last night and he beat us. He just got in a Lethal car too and I know how good these cars are. I knew he'd be good competition and I have fun racing with him.”

“The track was multi-grooved so I thought I could get around Jamie(Campbell) again. This Lethal car is so good and I've got so much confidence in it I feel like I can put it anywhere on the track. That's been the biggest help and improvement for me this year.”

“I'll pretty much start with a baseline if I know a track is going to be a certain way. Then I'll look at it and make tweaks from there as the night goes on. Despite the different(tacky) track tonight we pretty much stayed with our base set up. It worked great.”

“I thought I saw PJ peek inside me around lap 5 so I changed my line back down to the bottom. I knew I just had to keep the car underneath me. Just keep running consistent laps and we'd be good.”

Simpson Race Products IMCA Modifieds

94 Chris Morris, 82 Rick Green, 707 PJ Egbert, 377 Donald Banker, 137 Bill Pittaway, 16 Landon Bednarz, 29 Jamie Campbell, 55 Rick Talley, 27 Justin Delgado, 31m Marlin Samford, 7r Zac Riley, 12 Cody Leonard, 17 Cody Tidwell, 2j James Samford---dns

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 17 Cody Tidwell, 377 Donald Banker, 29 Jamie Campbell, 55 Rick Talley, 27 Justin Delgado , 2j James Samford, 12 Cody Leonard

Heat 2; 82 Rick Green, 94 Chris Morris, 707 PJ Egbert, 137 Bill Pittaway, 16 Landon Bednarz, 31m Marlin Samford, 7r Zac Riley

Torres Tops in Sport Modifieds

From snake bit, to snake skin, for the win. Former track champ Johnny Torres(La Vernia) has long had a fear of snakes. So when he went to load the car after several weeks off for rain, he found a snake skin in the cockpit. But where was the snake? Whereabouts still unknown.

As green waved on the 20-lapper, with no sign of the snake, J. Torres beat Eddy Ross into turn 1 for the lead. Marcus Mikulencak, Ross, Trent Beaver and Jared Maupin fell in line behind him. Beaver got by Ross for third leaving him wheel to wheel with Maupin for fourth.

Mikulencak got a good look at the lead on lap 5 getting the nose under J. Torres in turn 2. J. Torres was able hold him off and by halfway had a small gap to Mikulencak, Beaver, Maupin and Ross. As the laps wound down J. Torres was to inch farther ahead while Rowdy Flanagan got past Ross for fifth.

With the white flag waving, J. Torres who has been snake bit most of the season with mechanical woes, had good gap back to Mikulencak that he carried to the checkers in the Scott Ball Racing, Alamo Hot Rod Parts, Sundowner Diesel Performance, Batek & Robinson Attorneys at Law, All in Designs, Carroll Construction, Mission Auto Parts, 8T1 Construction, Swenson Racing Shocks, Fletchers Race Engines, IRP Chassis.

Still no sign of the snake.

“I might just leave that snake skin in the trailer for good luck,” commented Torres. “That might have been an omen, I don't know. Maybe the snake was in there the whole time giving me bad luck. I feel like we had a car to win last race and broke. We've had a pretty fast car on several nights, but just some bad luck. Finally it's all coming together.”

“This is the same car as last year. I like this IRP so much, I kept it. I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. I kind of had it on cruise control until I saw Marcus(Mikulencak) poke his nose inside me. I figured the racing lane was pretty narrow for us. I didn't see another car getting by me, but I took it a bit too easy. Towards the end I misread my gauge and thought the car was getting hot so I slowed down. I looked after the checkered flag and it wasn't bad.”

“I probably threw a little bit too much at the car considering the track tonight. But that's my style. I make a lot of changes. Last race was more my preference, I like a slick track. It had cushion, and that's what kind of cost me the race. I prefer a smooth, slick track. I couldn't believe how smooth the track was tonight with all the rain we've had. It was pretty awesome.”

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds

66 Johnny Torres, 03 Marcus Mikulencak, 14 Trent Beaver, bd2 Jared Maupin, 57 Rowdy Flanagan, bd3 Eddy Ross, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 30 Chris Swenson, 94 Allen Torres, 51 Jeremy Hernandez, bd4 Cheryl Gray, 5r Ryan Doyon, 9r Randall Rydl, 11 Tom Grothues

Sport Modified heats

Heat 1; bd3 Eddy Ross, bd2 Jared Maupin, 14 Trent Beaver, 57 Rowdy Flanagan, 94 Allen Torres, 11 Tom Grothues, 30 Chris Swenson

Heat 2; 66 Johnny Torres, 03 Marcus Mikulencak, 5r Ryan Doyon, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 51 Jeremy Hernandez, bd4 Cheryl Gray, 9r Randall Rydl

Five for Grimes in Limited Late Models

San Antonio's Tommy Grimes grabbed victory number five for the year going flag to flag for the win. At the start it was three wide for the lead coming off turn 2 between Grimes, Quentin Henderson and Jason Kelly. Grimes won the fight to lead lap 1 with Kelly, Henderson, Howie Marcx and Andrew Hesler sorting out behind him.

By halfway Grimes was easing away from Kelly while Henderson and Marcx swapped third. As the white waved it was Grimes with good advantage over Kelly taking the win in his Tracy Rail Service, Howell Crane & Rigging, All in Designs, Longs Race Engines, Shaw Chassis.

Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models

22t Tommy Grimes, 57 Jason Kelly, 13 Howie Marcx, 44 Quentin Henderson, 1x Andrew Hesler

Limited Late Model heat

Heat 1; 57 Jason Kelly, 22t Tommy Grimes, 44 Quentin Henderson, 13 Howie Marcx, 1x Andrew Hesler

Gordon Good in Street Stock Go

Anthony Gordon(San Antonio) had it all his way as he led green to checkers in the 20-lap Street Stock feature. Gordon beat Tony Bernal into turn 1 on green and that was about the field saw of Gordon's Alamo Hot Rod Parts, All in Designs, Dewalt Tools, 8T1 Construction, crate powered, Dog House Chassis.

Bernal gave way to Chris Shafer, Kyle Speer, and Aaron Leddy while Mike Lyon, Cody Leonard and Jarrett Barber battling for sixth. As Gordon quickly stretched out his margin, Speer got second from Shafer. Bernal took a trip through the infield giving up spots to Lyon and Barber, while Leonard pulled off.

Gordon's only challenge was lapped traffic near the finish as he pulled away. Shafer made one last run at Speer for second and took the spot on the final lap by a bumper, with Gordon unchallenged coming across the finish line.

SABFI Transportation Street Stocks

22m Anthony Gordon, 77 Chris Shafer, 52 Kyle Speer, 93 Aaron Leddy, 20 Mike Lyon, 19 Jarrett Barber, 95 Sterling Tausch, 81 Tony Bernal, 3 Larry Baggett, 69s Darin Blevins, 43 Cody Leonard

Street Stock heats

Heat 1; 81 Tony Bernal, 52 Kyle Speer, 20 Mike Lyon, 43 Cody Leonard, 19 Jarrett Payton, 69s Darin Blevins

Heat 2; 22m Anthony Gordon, 77 Chris Shafer, 93 Aaron Leddy, 95s Sterling Tausch, 3b Larry Baggett

Temple Tames Pure Stocks

Tryton Temple(Corpus Christi) looked to be running off to a big lead and big win, but racing is never that easy. A mid-race caution erased Temples nearly half track lead and put several of the hot shoes on his tail for the restart. And the battle was on.

As the 22-car starting field took the green, Dillon Gaither and Riley Heil stayed side by side with Gaither getting the advantage over Temple, Heil, Jerry Miller and Robert Kelm. J. Miller got turned in turn 2 with Kelm, George Quintanilla and Dustin Hurley getting a piece of the action for a lap 1 caution.

On the restart Temple got a good run getting around Gaither for the lead while Heil slipped and fell back to mid pack. Coming from farther back, Allen Torres had moved up using the top going three wide with Johnny Westfall and Lynn Fox for sixth. Torres then picked off Albert Medellin and Caitlin Leonard for fourth.

Torres and Kelm the battled side by side for third as they both caught Gaither for second. In the meantime, Temple was motoring away and getting into lapped traffic. Kelm briefly held Torres off and took second from Gaither. Torres finally got by Kelm, but was a full straightaway behind Temple.

At the crossed flags it was Temple, Torres, Kelm, Jared Mauoin and Leonard in the top five. Lynn Fox and Ronnie Sparks tangled in turn 2 with Sparks having a small fire to bring out a red and erase Temples huge lead. On the restart Maupin got a good run past Torres for second, but continued to run door to door.

This gave Temple a little space as they continued to fight for second. Maupin finally got the spot, but laps were winding down. Temple had a few car lengths on Maupin as the white was shown, and scored the victory in the TTR Racing, KH Suspension, Ever Heart Salon, Blake Carburetion, Stock Body Mania, Dr. Ellis Main, L87 Speedway, AMSOIL, Jimbo VanBlarcum, Destroyer Chassis.

“We had a good lead and the car was good,” said Temple. “We had a good set up tonight. It was hammer down all the way. I wasn't too worried about someone finding a faster line, just a little leery. I was wondering if someone would come on the bottom. The middle seemed to be the best line.”

“I wish that caution hadn't come out. I thought I was going to lap the whole field. I didn't know who was behind me after the caution came. The car was fast and we won, so it's all good.”

“We normally set up for the same thing every time. We just changed a spring and we were good from there. We changed shocks and springs going to 105 Speedway last weekend. Here we run a more stock shock.”

“Jimbo VanBlarcum sponsored me eight new tires and I didn't even know it. We went to go buy tires last week and they told us we had eight tires waiting for us. He bought them for us and didn't say anything. That was pretty nice of Jimbo.”

99 Tryton Temple, bd1 Jared Maupin, 94 Allen Torres, 48 Robert Kelm, 91 Johnny Westfall, 3 Ryan Doyon, 9c Caitlin Leonard, 51 Albert Medellin, 5 Dillon Gaither, 18jr Ramon Sevilla,30 Riley Heil, 49 Katherine Keylich, m13 Jeremy Watson, 98r Derek Remmers, 15 William Cavender, 9b Gary Butler, 53 Treyler Caulfield, 14f Lynn Fox, 22r Ronnie Sparks, 36 George Quintanilla, 75 Jerry Miller, 4d Dustin Hurley

Pure Stock B-main(top 7 to A-main)

15 William Cavender, m13 Jeremy Watson, 98 Derek Remmers, 49k Katherine Keylich, 18jr Ramon Sevilla, 22r Ronnie Sparks, 53 Treyler Caulfield, 41t Elgin Treacy, 17 Casey Lowe, 28 Chad Miller, 68 Kenny Wright---dns, 9s Jarrett Payton---dns, 19 Daniel Miller---dns

Pure Stock heats(top 5 to A-main)

Heat 1; 30 Riley Heil, 5 Dillon Gaither, bd1 Jared Maupin, 14f Lynn Fox, 9b Gary Butler, 28 Chad Miller, 41 Elgin Tracy, 98r Derek Remmers, 19 Daniel Miller, 22r Ronnie Sparks

Heat 2; 94 Allen Torres, 75 Jerry Miller, 48 Robert Kelm, 9c Caitlin Leonard, 4d Dustin Hurley, 17 Casey Lowe, 15 William Cavender, 18jr Ramon Sevilla, m13 Jeremy Watson

Heat 3; 3 Ryan Doyon, 99 Tryton Temple, 51 Albert Medellin, 91 Johnny Westfall, 36 George Quintanilla, 9s Jarrett Payton, 49k Katherine Keylich, 53 Treyler Caulfield, 68 Kenny Wright---dns

Battle to Ball in Sport Compacts

Adkins' Kirk Ball scored win number three for the season in hotly contested race with Ronnie Schoenfeldt. At the start it was George Compton first off turn 2, but Schoenfeldt got by in turn 3 to lead lap 1. Ball got second with Compton, Johnny Ervin and Brandon McCall in the top five.

Ball got inside Schoenfeldt on lap 2 and eked out the lead on lap 3. Schoenfeldt fought back and retook to the top spot on lap 5. Ball kept the pressure on Schoenfeldt and got the spot back just after halfway. Defending track champ, Jamie Garner, made a late surge moving past Scott Lesher and McCall for fourth.

As the laps clicked off Garner and Ervin began to swap third as Ball began to get some breathing room up front. Coming to the checkers, Ball in the Krystal Ball Communications, Speedway Signs, VW, had built a comfortable margin on his way to the victory.

Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts

38 Kirk Ball, 1 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 33 Jamie Garner, 44 Johnny Ervin, 14 Brandon McCall, 5L Scott Lesher, 57 Trevor Bettis, 23 Kasey Krauss, 29t George Compton, 15 Devon Surritt, 81 Michael Burris jr., 92 Colton Borlace, 95m Daniel Lopez, 25 Robert Fox, 18 Michael Burris sr., 11j Josh Jones---dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 29t George Compton, 1 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 44 Johnny Ervin, 93 Colton Borlace, 33 Jamie Garner, 25 Robert Fox, 11j Josh Jones, 95m Daniel Lopez

Heat 2;38 Kirk Ball, 5L Scott Lesher, 23 Kasey Krauss, 15 Devon Surritt, 14 Brandon McCall, 57Trevor Bettis, 81 Michael Burris jr., 18 Michael Burris sr.

Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts

Senior Division; Peyton Jones, Charles Flanagan, Ryker Hernandez

Junior Division; Cody Clegg, James Little, Gaige Whitaker

Youth Division: Blaine Markgraf, Cheston Markgraf, Gabriel Solis, Berkley Keylich