I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 4/27/19

I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 4/27/19

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX., (April 27th, 2019) After some scheduled off weeks and a rain out, I-37 Speedway was back in action Saturday night. Tonight all six classes(IMCA Modifieds, Sport Modifieds, Limited Late Models, Street Stocks, Pure Stocks, Sport Compacts,) plus the kids Go-Karts were scheduled.

Kid Cody Captures Modified Cash

Borrowed car? No Problem. If you put young gun Cody Leonard(Sinton) in anything, he'll make it go fast. Last weekend Leonard broke a motor during hot laps at a race at Texana Raceway. Marcus Berndt stepped up and let Leonard jump in his his car for the feature, which he won. Tonight Leonard, who started ninth, took the lead from Bill Pittaway after halfway then motored on to the win.

Landon Bednarz got a big jump on green as the outside line slowed, but it was Pittaway getting by to lead lap 1 with Bednarz, Donald Banker, Dillon Tindall and Leonard in pursuit. Leonard quickly picked off a couple spots for third and moved up top to get along side Banker for second bringing Tindall along to third.

At the crossed flags it was Pittaway. Leonard, Tindall, Banker and Rick Green in the top five. Pittaway and Leonard went three wide by a lapped car with Leonard getting the point on lap 12. Leonard then opened up an advantage on Pittaway while Tindall and Banker swapped third. At the checkers it was Leonard in the All Out Towing, Lone Star 600, Swenson Racing Shocks, five1seven Designs, Performance Race Engineering, PRC Carburetors, AARE powered, Billsbilt Chassis scoring another win.

5cc6199c80850__SRP7645(1280x848)(2).jpg.7b99debd0a1b9bc8d2073ae598131733.jpg

Jay Hallas photo

“We blew my car up last week at Texana and Marcus came through and asked me to drive his car,” explained Leonard. “I'm real grateful for that. We won last weekend in it and he asked me to drive it again this weekend. We're two for two now.”

“I'm down to just one class right now. The Mod and Sport Mod are blown up, no Street Stock, no Late Model ride tonight. It's a lot less stressful and more fun. It hurts a little not knowing what the track is doing when running other classes, but I can focus more on one car and stay consistent.”

“From where Marcus had the car it was pretty much spot on, set-up wise. We made a couple changes in Edna last week. We just adjusted to the track conditions. From where he had it to where I have mine, it's pretty much identical.”

“We're hoping to drop the motor in the Modified this week. We don't have one for the Sport Modified yet. We don't know on that one yet, we'll see.”

“I enjoy watching one of my friends drive and win, more than me winning in it,” added car owner Berndt. “I have to thank a great group of people that help with this car and my girlfriend, Denise, for putting up with this and me falling asleep in the shop working on it.”

“Cody's motor blew up in Edna last weekend during hot laps. I gave him the opportunity to drive it. He did a helluva job. He wasn't going to have a car ready for tonight so I let him drive it again. Here we are, two for two.”

Simpson Race Products IMCA Modifieds

44/12 Cody Leonard, 137 Bill Pittaway, 86 Dillon Tindall, 377 Donald Banker, 82 Rick Green, 129 Jamie Campbell, 16 Landon Bednarz, 55 Rick Talley, 27 Justin Delgado, 47 Danny Schroat, 31m Marlin Samford---dntg, 2j James Samford---dns

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 137 Bill Pittaway, 377 Donald Banker, 44/12 Cody Leonard, 16 Landon Bednarz, 31m Marlin Samford, 47 Danny Schroat

Heat 2; 86 Dillon Tindall, 82 Rick Green, 129 Jamie Campbell, 55 Rick Talley, 27 Justin Delgado, 2j James Samford

Mikulencak Muscles up for For Sport Mod Money

It's been a while since the young Mikulencak(Corpus Christi) picked up an I-37 Speedway victory. Marcus, who's been running an IMCA Modified on occasion, found his way to the winners circle after a good battle with Johnny Torres, who was bitten by bad luck again.

As the 16-car field took the green it was J. Torres grabbing the top spot chased by Mikulencak, Frank Okruhlik, Talon Minten and Allen Torres. As J. Torres pulled out to a lead, Chris Swenson was working his way up past A. Torres and T. Minten. As the race neared midway, Mikulencak changed his line moving up top.

The change gave Mikulencak a good run and allowed him to close in on J. Torres. A quick debris caution slowed the action and back under green it was J. Torres, Mikulencak, with Swenson, Okruhlik and Jared Maupin three wide for third. Trent Beaver joined that battle putting a slide job on Maupin for fifth.

Mikulencak was back on top and challenging J. Torres for the lead with Okruhlik and Swenson wheel to wheel for third. Using the high line, Mikulencak was able to go around J. Torres for the lead on lap 15. Okruhlik slipped in turns 3-4, with Beaver and Maupin capitalizing going past he and Swenson for third and fourth.

J. Torres' night ended on lap 18 when he broke a transmission while holding on to second, at the same time Swenson slowed too. This left Mikulencak alone out front in his Wrap It Up Designs, Partners Chevrolet, Ace Transmission, Precision Welding, Hudgeons Paint & Body, Swenson Racing Shocks, powered Rush Chassis for the win.

“It's been too long since I've won a race here,” commented Mikulencak. “We haven't run too much this season. This is our first race here with this car, this season other than the Corpus show. I've run the Modified here. It's just something to play with when I have nothing else to drive.”

“The top in (turns)1-2 was so slick that I didn't want to burn the car up running it too hard, too early. At first I went up there and Johnny kind of drove off, so I went to the bottom. It wasn't that good for my car. I went back up top and kind of cruised the first half of the race.”

“I felt like my car was good enough up there and I started catching him. I waited a bit and decided it was time to make a move. I was thinking he was saving his car too and saw him on the bottom. I thought we were both saving our stuff. I didn't know he broke, Once I felt I had the lead I was just trying not to make any mistakes.”

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds

03 Marcus Mikulencak, 14 Trent Beaver, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 57 Rowdy Flanagan, 24r Robby Minten, 2 Talon Minten, 94 Allen Torres, 30 Chris Swenson, 9 Ray Doyon, 5r Ryan Doyon, 51 Jeremy Hernandez, bd4 Cheryl Gray, 66 Johnny Torres, 21c Barry Codling, 11 Tom Grothues, bd2 Jared Maupin---dq(tech), 22m Anthony Gordon---dns

Sport Modified heats

Heat 1; 66 Johnny Torres, 9 Ray Doyon, 94 Allen Torres, 21c Barry Codling, 5r Ryan Doyon, bd4 Cheryl Gray

Heat 2; 03 Marcus Mikulencak, 2 Talon Minten, 24r Robby Minten, 14 Trent Beaver, 57 Rowdy Flanagan, 51 Jeremy Hernandez

Heat 3; 08 Frank Okruhlik, 30 Chris Swenson, bd2 Jared Maupin, 11 Tom Grothues, 22m Anthony Gordon

Grimes Goes Green to Checkers

It was a short field and shortened race, but Tommy Grimes(San Antonio) grabbed the early lead while Marcus Mikulencak, Jason Kelly and Howie Marcx went three wide to settle the runner up spot. Grimes quickly pulled away, but a misfire was his biggest obstacle in the last half of the 12-lapper. He was able to make it last to the checkers for the victory in the Tracy Rail Service, Howell Crane & Rigging, All in Designs, Longs Race Engines, Shaw Chassis.

Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models

22t Tommy Grimes, 57 Jason Kelly, 93 Marcus Mikulencak, 13 Howie Marcx, 1x Andrew Hesler---dns

Limited Late Model heats

Heat 1; 22t Tommy Grimes, 93m Marcus Mikulencak, 57 Jason Kelly, 13 Howie Marcx, 1x Andrew Hesler---dntg

Jones-Gordon Joust for Street Supremacy

Put two of the fastest drivers, in two of the fastest cars, neither wanting to give an inch, on the front row and the sparks are probably going to fly.

And so it was as the 20-lap Street Stock feature took the green. Anthony Gordon got the jump on Wade Jones off turn 4 coming to the flag. Jones, who felt he got squeezed up, gave Gordon a tap in turn 1 sending both around and the field scattering. Gordon was able to reline on the restart while Jones had to pit with a flat and restart at the tail.

The second start saw Gordon get out ahead of Mike Lyon, Aaron Leddy, Justin Boop and Kyle Speer. Behind them, Jones was quickly working his way back up. A lap 3 caution restacked the pack with Jones going from sixth to second on green as Speer, Lyon and Ju. Boop were three wide for third.

At halfway it was Gordon, Jones closing in, Ju. Boop, Speer and Lyon in the top five when yellow waved. Once back to green the two leaders eased away from from the trio swapping third. As Gordon and Jones caught traffic they high-lowed a slower car, Jones got turned by the lapped car for a lap 16 caution.

Jones was able to retake his spot and the fight was on as green waved again. Jones gave Gordon a quick look low. With two to go Jones got inside Gordon in turns 1-2 and swapped a little paint. Gordon tried to return the favor in turns 3-4, but turned Jones in the process for a lap 18 yellow. Gordon was sent to the back for contact.

On the final restart it was Jones quickly motoring away unchallenged while Gordon fought his way back into the top five. Jones(Jourdanton), in the Opiela Mechanical, SABFI Transportation, Mission Racing, Camaro got the win easily. Gordon pulled up on the front stretch with Jones. A few words were exchanged, a little push, but cooler heads prevailed and later the two shook hands and discussed things.

“I have to thank my grandpa for busting his butt year after year on this car” said Jones. “This wouldn't be possible without him and my sponsors. The track was smooth and fast, kudos to to I-37 for giving us a great track.”

“I felt he pushed me up to the wall on the start and I just wanted to let him know I was there in turn 1. The last thing I wanted to do was spin us both in front of the field. After pitting I didn't think getting back to the front was going to be an option.”

“I was kind of anticipating a little pay pack at the end and it happened. Just so happened in my favor with two laps to go. The incident on the front stretch kind of caught me off guard. I respect Anthony, he’s got it figured out, but when the adrenaline is rushing it all happens so fast and the first thought is to separate space. We talked a little afterwards and hey, it was fun, I’d do it all over again.”

Alamo Hot Rod Parts Street Stocks

41 Wade Jones, 72 Justin Boop, 20 Mike Lyon, 52 Kyle Speer, 22m Anthony Gordon, 95 Sterling Tausch, 3 Daniel Gaudette, 67 Joe Boop, 81 Tony Bernal, 51 Elgin Tracy, 93 Aaron Leddy, 69 Darin Blevins, 4 Dwayne Markgraf

Street Stock heats

Heat 1; 22m Anthony Gordon, 81 Tony Bernal, 93 Aaron Leddy, 52 Kyle Speer, 67 Joe Boop, 95 Sterling Tausch, 69s Darin Blevins

Heat 2; 41 Wade Jones, 20 Mike Lyon, 72 Justin Boop, 4 Dwayne Markgraf, 3d Daniel Gaudette, 51 Elgin Tracy

Maupin Motors to Pure Pay Day

Jared Maupin(Weslaco) used a late caution, in a time shortened event, to spoil Caitlin Leonard's opportunity for her first ever win. Despite some major front end damage, a slowly deflating left front, Maupin got by Leonard with two to go and then held off Leonard's last lap charge to take the win in the Grays Recycling, Big Dog Racing, All In Designs, Robby Adams powered, Holy Moly Chassis.

Twenty-six cars started the scheduled 25-lap Pure Stock rumble. As one would expect it was a rough-n-tumble affair. In a twist, Robby Minten started dead last with the track awarding $5/car passed to the 50/50 winner at the end of the race. That almost paid off big, but a slide job gone wrong ended Minten's night early.

On the start it looked like it would be Dustin Hurley's race as he quickly jumped into the lead trailed by Leonard, Tryton Temple, Johnny Westfall and Dillon Gaither. As Hurley inched ahead there was plenty of three wide action as the pack sorted out. Hurley caught an early break when he looped it in turn 2, but Jerry Miller and Scott Jerkins tangled in turn 3 for a caution that saved Hurley.

After a series of yellows/restarts, Maupin was moving up from his thirteenth starting spot using the top, followed by Minten coming along on the high side. Hurley's luck ended on lap 7 when he spun again in turn 2 handing the lead to Leonard. A couple more cautions and the 30 minute time limit came with officials calling for five laps to go.

On that restart Minten tried to do a dive bomb slide job, but half spun collecting Maupin and a couple others. Maupin was able to continue and began trying the high side on the restart. Maupin got along side Leonard for lead on the back stretch and took the point on lap 12.

Leonard, still looking for her first ever win, tried to fight back on the bottom, but Maupin held the line. A late spin by Hurley, set up a one-lap shootout to the checkers that saw Leonard give Maupin a good look and little tap in turns 3-4 but to no avail as Maupin took the win by a car length.

“We were rolling the bottom pretty good picking off one car at a time” replied Maupin. I finally had to try something else to get around the top 5. At about half way I knew I had a tire going down that was hurting my exit, but I just kept pushing. Luckily we found some moisture up top and just had our car hooked up. Caitlin had an awesome run and she’s just getting quicker and quicker, so my hats off to her. I gotta thank Skip Gray for the opportunity to drive his race cars. Also, Joe Martin, my dad and my brother Dustin,”

All in Design Pure Stocks

bd1 Jared Maupin, 9c Caitlin Leonard, 99 Tryton Temple, 14 Lynn Fox, 91 Johnny Westfall, 48 Robert Kelm, 36 George Quintanilla, 25t Travis Slavik, 98 William Saunders, 5 Dillon Gaither, 49 Michael Keylich, 98r Derek Remmers, 75 Jerry Miller, 15 William Cavender, 22r Ronnie Sparks, 44k Katherine Keylich, 68 Kenny Wright, 19 Daniel Miller, 4d Dustin Hurley, 3 Robby Minten, 17 Casey Lowe, 10 Scott Jerkins, 38 Sonny Kinneman, 9b Gary Butler, 51 Albert Medellin, 09 Clint Montaino

Pure Stock heats

Heat 1; 4d Dustin Hurley, bd1 Jared Maupin, 91 Johnny Westfall, 51 Albert Medellin, 49k Michael Keylich, 48 Robert Kelm, 17 Casey Lowe, 15 William Cavender

Heat 2; 9c Caitlin Leonard, 99 Tryton Temple, 36 George Quintanilla, 09 Clint Montanio, 75 Jerry Miller, 9b Gary Butler,, 19 Daniel Miller, 38 Sonny Kinneman, 3 Ryan Doyon---dns

Heat 3; 3r Robby Minten, 5 Dillon Gaither, 14f Lynn Fox, 98 William Saunders, 44k Katherine Keylich, 98r Derek Remmers, 25t Travis Slavik, 22r Ronnie Sparks, 10 Scott Jerkins

First Ever for Ervin in Sport Compacts

Johnny Ervin(Adkins) added to the list of drivers picking up their first ever wins at I-37 Speedway in the 20-lap Sport Compact feature. At the start it was Jamie Garner with the early lead with Kasey Krauss and Ervin side by side for second, George Compton and Michael Burris. Kirk Ball began moving up getting by Burris and Compton for fourth as the lead trio broke away.

Ervin was able to get Garner for the lead on lap 4 leaving Garner and Krauss side by side. Ervin built a slight lead while Garner and Krauss were three wide in lapped traffic. As the laps wound down Garner and Krauss reeled Ervin back in.

With two to go the top three were nose to tail for the lead. As the white flag waved Garner tried to look inside while Krauss went all the way to the top. It was almost three wide coming to the checkers with Ervin holding on for the win in the Rockin E Designs, M&M Automotive, Smokin Enterprise, raceontexas, Rachel Plant Picture Taker, ChevyFord Motorplex, 2003 Chevy Cavalier.

“This is my first year and my fourth race,” exclaimed Ervin. “I had a good group of guys in the Sport Compact class that have kind of taken me under their wings and taught me a little of the tricks. Not all, but I'm trying to learn as I go.”

“I could feel them behind me. I pulled away and I could hear them coming back. I felt them tap me and I knew not to give that inside line up. I had to protect the line after leading all those laps to get the win.”

Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts

44 Johnny Ervin, 33 Jamie Garner, 23 Kasey Krauss, 38 Kirk Ball, 29t George Compton, 81 Michael Burris, 11j Josh Jones, 8 Adolph Tracy, 6p Levi Hernandez, 25 Robert Fox, 14 Brandon McCall, 30 Charles Earnhardt, 15 Devon Surritt, 1rk Robert Kelm----DQ, 5l Scott Lesher—dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 33 Jamie Garner, 23 Kasey Krauss, 29t George Compton, 81 Michael Burris, 1rk Robert Kelm, 8 Adolph Tracy, 25 Robert Fox, 6p Levi Hernandez

Heat 2; 44 Johnny Ervin, 38 Kirk Ball, 15 Devon Surritt, 11j Josh Jones, 5l Scott Lesher, 14 Brandon McCall, 30 Charles Earnhardt---dntg

Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts

Senior Division; Peyton Jones, Ryker Hernandez, Trinity Hill, Tanner Pesek, Hanna Miller, Charles Flanagan, Makayla Trimble

Junior Division; Cody Clegg, Kloe Helms, Levi McDonald, Makenzie Pesek, Gaige Whitaker, James Little, Dusty Wilcox

Youth Division; Blaine Markgraf, Cheston Markgraf, Berkley Keylich