In Need of Race Cars

Josh42

My wife is a 4th grade teacher here in Austin. Her School is doing a block party event with a Touch a Truck and Car show.  Her school Kocurek Elementary is located on Curlew Dr. in South Austin off of Slaughter Lane.  We are wanting to get some racecars for this event.  I already have some but would love to have more.  I know that CBS is racing that day that's why we are doing the event from 10am-2pm that way you can leave and still be there by 4ish if you leave straight from the school.  We are going to have our mini-sprint there and will be leaving at 1 to make the race in Alvin that night. Let's get this together for the kids.  Let me know if you can make it so I can make sure we have room for everyone.

IMG_1747.JPG

Let me tell you a trick.  Asking racers to take their racecar anywhere for a show is usually met with few takers, if any at all.  Here is how you do it.  You get online, see who is racing in the area and take note of the sponsors of the top running cars.  Then, you call the sponsor and say "I noticed that you sponsor a car racing at XXX track.  I wanted to give you the opportunity to display your car at xxx elementary school and be the exclusive ___Car dealer___, Auto Parts, Pizza Joint, etc. " .  Whatever their industry is, offer them an exclusive.    When the guy paying the bills calls, the boys will load and go.   This has worked great in the past.  Go to the money, not the guys who spend it.

I hope this helps, the racers probably wont like it.   Oh well........

Timothy you are wrong again.  This is the perfect time of year and Josh is giving the racers plenty of time to be ready.  The bad time to ask is in the winter while we are all tearing our cars down.  Or less than a week before the event.  

Josh I know plenty of racers in that area.  Is this on Facebook and if not may I put it on there to get some support?

Tim I already have 10 racecars confirmed and about 50 hotrods, exotics, bikes, and big trucks just looking for more.  This isn't about sponsors or anything else, this about the kids seeing racecars and maybe just maybe peaking the interest of a couple kids and families to get them into racing. 

Nathan I have posted this on Sweet Rides of Central Texas, Buda Gearheadz, Drag Racing Gassers of Texas and my personal Facebook where I know am friends with more than a few of the members here.  But yes by all means put this on Facebook the more the merrier.  I have reached out to Mary Ann when we first started discussing this about them setting up a table to get people in the know about the track.  I know it is a raceday for them and I hope that we could get someone out to set up a table and maybe pass out flyers and schedules about the track. I am going to reach out to her again.

I think this is pretty dam cool, I'd take my car out there without question. However I'm in Houston, but might be worth a trip to Austin for my B day and pick up some parts while I'm out there.

This is a perfect event to build up attention to racing in Texas, get people off the couch and in the stands. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up this is this weekend, MaryAnn and CBS have donated 4 grandstand tickets and 4 VIP tickets to the raffle that the school is having would be pretty cool to have a racecar there for the track.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:47 AM, Josh42 said:

Just a heads up this is this weekend, MaryAnn and CBS have donated 4 grandstand tickets and 4 VIP tickets to the raffle that the school is having would be pretty cool to have a racecar there for the track.

Mary Ann has a heart of gold!

3 hours ago, NickHolt said:

Mary Ann has a heart of gold!

Definitely she also gave me a bunch of schedules that I will hand out with our racecar even though we don't race there.  I will also be telling people about the race they are having that night hopefully the weatherman is wrong this weekend so people can get some racing in.

What an event we had. This event was off the charts the kids and parents loved seeing the race cars.  I had a couple drop out due to the forecast that was looming and that's totally understandable.  But with the cars that we had show up it was an awesome time.  What was great is that we had a 1/4 midget and a mini sprint and also had a jr. dragster and a full size dragster. That way people could see the progression.  All the teams were great in talking with the kids and parents, letting them sit in the cars and then firing them all up for everyone.  I have already started planning the event for next year and plan on making it bigger. One thing for sure is I am going to do my best to get them to schedule it on an off weekend from CBS so maybe we can get some dirt cars out there. I did hand out all the schedules that Mary Ann gave to me and the two winners of the tickets were excited about going to the races.

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1941.JPG

2 hours ago, toyotatim said:

No stock cars?

Nope, now there was a race the same day at CBS and I knew that and the teams could of left early but none showed.  It would of been nice since we had some Cotton Bowl tickets up for grabs.  Thats why next year I want to make sure we plan this on an off weekend for them and hope we can get a couple out there.