Letter to HMP Racers from AFS Racing Promotions and T-STARS Racing

TSTARS

Don’t beat the place up for saving us money calling the program early. It would seem to be a wet Saturday and honestly after this week may be a good thing to not have to present a race program this week. Think of the opposite get there and then it’s called we would be pissed then too.

Having been on both sides it takes an army of folks to get these shows in. Wanna help, contact these folks. At the same time having a team in place to operate the race weekend that has been in the grind helps too. We all must remember this is now entertainment not just a race day fans and teams are high maintenance. Neil Upchurch for years caught shit for being a hard ass but every driver I have talked with says he and his team saved racing in the 90s. Don’t know what happened last race but damn looking at FB if I were a customer I’d laugh at the posts. 

Good luck to all hope this all shakes out how it should.

9 hours ago, NickHolt said:

Ha!  That generator never has sold. Maybe I need to post it for sale again?

I bet those two cylinders are worn out by now ……………….. as for promoting the track everyone should promote the track along with them .. I mean you race there and you see more poeple as I do just running around .I promoted the track we run on last night to some new fans I hope .does not matter  if I like the track or who is running it .if the car and driver is going to race there .we promote it .that's free ..

Hopefully lessons can be learned from all of this. The folks of TSTARS stepped up and took the risk of putting on an 11 race season for asphalt drivers. HMP is the only asphalt track to race on in Texas the next closest is in Alabama I believe. Lower car counts in the first year is understandable. Racers want to see how committed the track is before they build a car .Controversies like this may make those guys think twice. This is different from an established track or promoter. For a new group the negativity is magnified. If TSTARS fails that may be it for HMP. And asphalt racing in Texas.

That's true Hi Tech, drivers are the best free promoters, years ago I invited all my co-workers to Texas DIRT Speedway , none had ever been, 25 showed up on opening night, they loved it, they all came to the pits after the races, I let them sit in the car, for the rest of the season at least 20 of my co-workers were there every weekend, 5 of them bought race cars and 3 of them are still racing around Texas , so driver's can be a big help to a track

On 4/11/2019 at 11:57 AM, chenley said:

estThat's true Hi Tech, drivers are the best free promoters, years ago I invited all my co-workers to Texas DIRT Speedway , none had ever been, 25 showed up on opening night, they loved it, they all came to the pits after the races, I let them sit in the car, for the rest of the season at least 20 of my co-workers were there every weekend, 5 of them bought race cars and 3 of them are still racing around Texas , so driver's can be a big help to a track

we took a car to a car show in1989 down town corpus .. ..we picked up three new drivers just showing the car and many new fans to boot .our class grew leaps and bounds in 1990 and 91 after that one show ..I have always believed the old saying out of sight out of mind . come race day look at the looks you get hauling a car to the track the slow downs looking . pulling  into a stripes I many cases someone says something or may think I know a few have .man had we know their was a race or track running we would have gone ..Saturday is not a greatest time to advertise racing .99 PERCENT OF FAMILIES  HAVE ALREADY  planed their weekend the week or weeks before .. .. too those racers who think it is up to the track alone to get the word out  is only hurting their own sport .each person you dont tell is a guaranty they wont be there .if you get one person to show up can be a blessing down the road .not personally in many cases but keeps that sport you love from shutting down .

You're right Mike. I used to get asked about the racetrack all the time. When we have a new employee check in one of the first things I ask him is if he likes racing. If he says yes then I tell him about the track. Most of our employees come from out of state so they don't know much about the area.

Archived