Bristol Spring Race Attendance 4-7-2019

King237

Want to fix qualifying? 
How about fixing attendance? 

Start with Charter system, and Nix it ASAP... Right along with it, fix the Tech process, aka things like the optical scanner... 
Also Change up Practice & Qualifying... You get one session for what's similar to hot laps, not hours, but the teams have like 1/2 hour to figure it all out...

Also Race it all on one day, Not only will you make it more of a challenge for all involved in the race, but you will make it cheaper for the fans, that way when businesses jack up hotel rates to $300 a night for a $100 room, well i can go to the track and drive home if i want to, and not miss anything... 

Bristol used to be a entry race, you could build a car, and go to that short track and try to make your way in the field...
Used to have 43 spots to race for now basically there are 4. and with the cars being so tech heavy... you can't afford to pay to play that way... 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, maybe I'm a good example, maybe not.  I followed Foyt and all his other Texas co-hearts (Larson, Ruby, McElreath, Rutherford throughout their careers.  As they began to retire from racing, along came a kid named Earnhardt.  I thought heck, that's a pretty interesting character, so I followed him for years throughout his career, until he died in 2001.  After that I stopped watching all together.  Fortunately, I found a local series run by a guy named MullIns.  That guy was putting on incredible shows.  I followed that series wherever they raced I went.  Then that series shut down, but it got me back to attending local racing nearly every week during the season. 

Then, I heard about this little American girl who had led the Indy 500 in 2005.  I thought HEY, that's pretty cool.  I started researching her and her racing background.  It was pretty impressive. I started watching her and became quite a fan of hers.  Hell, she inspired me like no other driver ever had.  I actually started going to Indy Car races.  They were great.  Then I followed her to NASCAR and started attending NASCAR races.  I figured I spent $700 to $800 to attend each race for gas, food, drink, lodging and tickets for the whole weekend, Friday through Monday.  AND, believe me I caught a hell of a lot flak on here for doing so. But I didn't care I just kept right on going to see her and those she raced with. 

So its now last Sunday afternoon.  How much did I spend to see the race?  Not one single dime.  I didn't even bother to turn the damn thing on !!!

Edited by Budman

Nascar landed a 8.2 Billion dollar tv deal.  That is probably more than any of us will ever do.  I am not so sure they did or are doing anything wrong.   Everything changes, farmers used to use mules to plow the field.   I did not quit eating because they went to tractors.

Them landing any sponsor doesn't mean anything about the health of the sport.  It says more about the sales people at Nascar.  The attendance at the track shows the health of the sport.  No fan equals no more big TV contracts.

I was just about to post a very long post about why NASCAR is on its last legs... then Budman posted that video and it said everything I wanted to say, except he said it better. 

Dirt Track promoters need to watch that video and keep the big bucks out of the sport.  Big money kills stock car racing. End of sermon.

7 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Them landing any sponsor doesn't mean anything about the health of the sport.  It says more about the sales people at Nascar.  The attendance at the track shows the health of the sport.  No fan equals no more big TV contracts.

Yes, it says Nascars sales people are pretty smart.  The had a good run, did nothing wrong.  Old folks who were their customers are dying.   We still get to watch it on TV, so enjoy it.  It isnt going anywhere.  

Has a dirt series land an 8 billion dollar deal yet?

Just now, arob said:

Nick , do you mean events like the Jerry Whiteaker Memorial?

No.  There will always be a top tier in any sport and "big" shows every now and then.  That's all healthy.

But if dirt track racing ever gets to the point where only a few can afford to compete, then the downward spiral begins and there's no stopping it until it's too late - like NASCAR.

3 minutes ago, toyotatim said:

Yes, it says Nascars sales people are pretty smart.  The had a good run, did nothing wrong.  Old folks who were their customers are dying.   We still get to watch it on TV, so enjoy it.  It isnt going anywhere.  

I'm only 40 and hoping not dying anytime soon and they have lost me

33 minutes ago, arob said:

Actually a lot of the Indy Car races are really good. Wheel banging and all. I do enjoy it much more than NASCAR. And thank goodness for MavTV!

I absolutely agree arob.  I've been to TMS for both.  I think Indy Car puts on a far better show.  Much of it has to do with access.  We would go up there on Friday mornings and stay through Sunday.  Then drive back home Monday morning.  We'd be at the track all three days.  For the price of a pit pass (about 60 bucks or so), you can walk right into the indy car garages and talk to the crews right there with their cars and they are very friendly and cordial.  It makes it all so much more incredibly interesting to the fan. It's just a much more fan friendly atmosphere.

Try doing that in N-CAR.

Edited by Budman

18 minutes ago, toyotatim said:

Old folks who were their customers are dying.  

Hey, I may be old, but I ain't dead quite yet.  I still got money to spend if someone will put on a good enough show for me somewhere around here.  But don't go blowing sunshine up my *** , telling me what a great show I'm witnessing.  I KNOW what a good show looks like and what doesn't.

The racing at Bristol is not the same anymore. Since they reconfigured the track there's no more action. Just follow the leader for 500 laps. Sure, some can run the high line and some prefer to run the bottom. Still no action.

5 hours ago, toyotatim said:

Toyota .. I aint dead yet .budman aint dead and many of us old folks who grew up with nascar  are still here .your argument is lame ..nascar just killed us off with their system they started after dales death …..I watched maybe 60 laps of Bristol .and that was all I could handle ..local tracks the ones who die out and build back up all have something in common ..once the toys get costing to much and car count start to  die out they start  over with lower cheaper class of cars ..they get back to somewhat affordable racing .. I see what was a purestock  going away to high dollar cars ..in order to try and keep up we now have a new car that cost over 8000 before the motor was put back in and many other parts to boot  . the last time we will spend that on a car to run for pennies ...the old  good car didnt come near that cost and ran it for 7 years and it still will be out on the track this year .with my son using it till he can come up with a newer car ..he is priced out right now .. but in time this class will go by the wayside and have to start over ..nascar has not followed suit …..nascar did not cost me out of going to the races alone . but when you throw away really darn near everything nascar was built on / you lose us who kept nascar alive .I hear very little talk now days about wow that was one heck of a nascar show ..might be fine for u .but the core is lost .

5 minutes ago, HiTech said:

this class will go by the wayside and have to start over ..nascar has not followed suit

Exactly Hi Tech......They refuse to take even a tiny step backwards to go forwards and increase attendance.

Its like "We don't care because we are Nascar and we can do what we want because we call the shots for EVERYONE"

Look at the video I posted from the 60's....that's a packed house and everyone is dressed up and enjoying themselves

with the family....I recall women used to get their hair done and wear fancy clothes to the races,,,that's how important

they were back then and these were local races

HiTech you brought up something that as a fan I'm watching closely this year and that is the change from Pure Stock to Factory Stock. All three area tracks have gone this way risking their biggest and most competitive class to one costing thousands more. I get why the shift came about so we shall see what happens. At least I-37 has a Sport Compact class that has been pretty successful and maintaining car count and STS and now TRP have E-Mod class has them being the lower cost class.

Same song different post.  I have to agree with Tim that this race was a lot better than most. I enjoyed watching this race. All this mention of the seating at BMS.  Its been declining for the past couple of years. So what Bristol did was smart from the business side, they only sold tickets for the front and back stretch.  That way instead of having 50,000 fan spread out they put them in areas to condense.  What they also did was only had to staff those areas instead of the whole track and could better assist those fans in those areas.  Then there is the deal with the hotel rooms. Wake up people this has been going on for years and now the only reason it has come up is because Clint Bowyer said something.  If you think this is just now happening then you are severely mistaken. This is not NASCAR's fault they don't control the hotel owners,  I can tell you it happens here during F1, and other events at COTA.  I have contracts with hotels in Buda and Kyle and my blackout dates that the contract prices don't count is F1, ACL, SXSW weekends because they raise the rates. 

I listened to the Dale JR Download last week and they had Steve Phelps as the guest and that was probably one of the best Podcasts he has had.  Steve Phelps admitted that they chased the wrong fan and they know they made that mistake.  He also stated a lot of other things about the series that was very informational.  They had a fan council of about 25,000 fans that they talk to every week after the races.  They are trying to fix it and with what they are saying about the new GEN7 car this could be like the old racing we all want. 

Also everyone mentions this race how there was no spectators,  what about the IndyCar race at COTA there was no one there and no mention of that.  All sports stands are getting fewer and fewer, there is to much access to sports these days.  In the 90's and early 2000's if you wanted to listen to a scanner you had to go to the track.  Now you can do all that from your phone and this is for all sports. 

Edited by Josh42

10 hours ago, Nathan said:

Arob if the factory stocks do anything like the rest of Texas then they will be fine.  I know alot of factory stock drivers love the 30 dollar asphalt take offs.

True ,  there hasn't been a big drop off at the three tracks so far. Competition level at I-37 and TRP is still there. At least those who can't go $6000to $8000 for a competitive Factory Stock have the option to go E-Mod or Sport Compact.

10 hours ago, arob said:

HiTech you brought up something that as a fan I'm watching closely this year and that is the change from Pure Stock to Factory Stock. All three area tracks have gone this way risking their biggest and most competitive class to one costing thousands more. I get why the shift came about so we shall see what happens. At least I-37 has a Sport Compact class that has been pretty successful and maintaining car count and STS and now TRP have E-Mod class has them being the lower cost class.

i hope it pays off .but you will get to a point  these old cars are dead .they cant compete with this new car .. .i am not against it but i am not sure this was a good time to start  this type of car when you had large classes of the old .,.;; i hope the classes will stay strong and this in time works out in keeping new drivers coming into racing . .. back to  nascar it  needs to go back towards its roots in order to rebuild or have a chance to rebuild .. first and foremost get rid of the chase .u win your in ..

Edited by HiTech