Bristol Spring Race Attendance 4-7-2019

King237

In case you missed the Bristol race today, it was a good race but not witnessed by many. I have seen

some articles that it holds 162,000 people and I recall it sold out and was SRO for both their dates many years.

I also recall that people "willed" their seats to family members they were so in demand. That being said,

consider this picture taken at today's race and compile your own comments and thoughts.

image.thumb.png.1bf306dc314a292dd4398935aeaeb4ad.png

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rich kids in spec cars won’t work. NASCAR needs the equivalent of John Heil standing on the front stretch tossing a fire extinguisher or Joe Aramendia (I think it was him?) parking his modified on the front stretch and walking off. They need local guys in 30’ trailers to be able to tow in and qualify for a race. NASCAR needs motors people can relate to and cars they can buy from the dealership. NASCAR will either die or change, those are their only two choices.

The only good news is that if NASCAR gets serious about racing “stock cars” again it’ll help the weekly tracks A TON and if they go away at least you won’t have to worry about Saturday cup races messing with local tracks schedules. 

I AM NOT SURPIRSED we have talked about this for years .. it started when nascar forgot about us the olditmers who help  build nascar ..when you run off your base .your done …. i very seldom hear from anyone man wasn't that a great nascar race  .nascar isnt mentioned anymore .they do ask me if we are  still racing .yep i say  and then good luck ..maybe we will come out ..

I"m guessing big corporate money is about to find something else to do once their contracts expire. 

What made the sport in the first place has all but vanished in corporate board rooms. And the days are numbered for huge oval tracks unless the owners can find some other use for them.

The handwriting has been on the wall for a decade, or more, but the emperor still thinks he has clothes on,  if you don't mind me mixing a couple of metaphors.

The future of asphalt racing is millennials racing rent-a-scooters on downtown sidewalks to see who can get to Starbucks first,  kids with hot Mazdas, Supras, etc, meeting at 2 am on loop 410, 1/8-mile drag strips offering $25 all-day pit passes to anyone brave enough to put a helmet on and put the grocery-getter to the floorboard. 

Dirt track racing is still pretty much secure mostly because it's way cheaper than asphalt racing and probably more fun. The danger here is the influx of money.  Money kills racing at its purest form, 

Big money still controls racing in Europe (and sometimes elsewhere, i.e. Mexico (thanks Tavo!) where Formula 1 reigns.

World-wide, off-road racing and asphalt road courses that feature readily identifiable brands of vehicles are holding their own.   

And private road courses in the USA are also holding their own. Folks with enough money and a healthy need for speed pay big bucks for the privilege of going fast under controlled conditions with zero hope for any sort of reward other than personal satisfaction and a cheap, plastic trophy. 

People will always want to race.  It's in our genes I guess, but it's clear that unless something major happens - and happens soon - the NA$CAR bubble is about to burst. 

Just my thoughts... 

Nick

The race was really interesting.  Haters going to hate.  Nascar has done a whole lot to make the racing better and have accomplished that.  A lot has  changed, but it is easy to kick someone when they are down, or you can reach down and help pick them up.    By the way, there are teams showing up in 30' haulers making the show and racing.  There are more here complaining about no being able to do that on here than racing.  Get off of your couch and keyboard, go get a cup car and race. 

No one can relate to the racers like in the past. Racers are growing up too young. They are mass breeding race car drivers. The younger they get, the harder it is to watch, because none of us can relate to them. A huge majority of them don't even touch the cars. The fans that would typically follow or become fans of these younger driver have way too many other things to do, especially with regards to technology. The racing may be getting better, but being able to relate to the sport is not.   

Yes, you are correct.  The race fans are dying.  No other way to put it.  If the truth is known, the racers and fans are the ones responsible for the decline in interest.  The internet has changed everything, including perception.  Most of staring at Iphones all day and dont have time to go to the track.   So we can either sell our younger generation on the sport so they will support it or kick em while they are down.    

3 minutes ago, arob said:

I checked in every now and then and was shocked when the lack of fans was shown.

Thanks for watching and supporting the official sponsors.

Nationwide Insurance Hendrick Motorsports
Aric ALMIROLA #10 Ford Smithfield Foods Stewart-Haas Racing
Austin DILLON #3 Chevrolet DOW Richard Childress Racing
Bayley CURREY #52 Ford Mtel-One Rick Ware Racing
BJ MCLEOD #52 Chevrolet Rick Ware Racing Rick Ware Racing
Brad KESELOWSKI #2 Ford Miller Lite Team Penske
Brendan GAUGHAN #62 Chevrolet Beard Oil Beard Motorsports
Casey MEARS #13 Chevrolet GEICO Germain Racing
Chase ELLIOTT #9 Chevrolet NAPA Auto Parts Hendrick Motorsports
Chris BUESCHER #37 Chevrolet Kroger ClickList JTG Daugherty Racing
Clint BOWYER #14 Ford Mobil 1 Stewart-Haas Racing
Cody WARE #51 Chevrolet Spoonful of Music Foundation Rick Ware Racing
Cole CUSTER #51 Ford Haas Automation, Inc Rick Ware Racing
Corey LAJOIE #32 Ford Schluter Systems Go Fas Racing
Daniel HEMRIC #8 Chevrolet Caterpillar Richard Childress Racing
Daniel KENNINGTON #96 Toyota Lordco Auto Parts Gaunt Brothers Racing
Daniel SUAREZ #41 Ford ARRIS Stewart-Haas Racing
Darrell WALLACE JR #43 Chevrolet Plan B Sales Richard Petty Motorsports
David RAGAN #38 Ford Shriners Hospital for Children Front Row Motorsports
Denny HAMLIN #11 Toyota FedEx Joe Gibbs Racing
Derrike COPE #00 Chevrolet VRX Simulations StarCom Racing
Erik JONES #20 Toyota DeWalt Joe Gibbs Racing
Garrett SMITHLEY #99 Chevrolet StarCom Fiber StarCom Racing
Gray GAULDING #23 Toyota Burger King BK Racing
Harrison RHODES #51 Chevrolet Harry's Rick Ware Racing
Jamie MCMURRAY #1 Chevrolet McDonalds Chip Ganassi Racing
Jimmie JOHNSON #48 Chevrolet Ally Financial Hendrick Motorsports
Joey GASE #66 Toyota Motorsports Business Management Motorsports Business Management
Joey LOGANO #22 Ford Shell-Pennzoil Team Penske
Josh BILICKI #51 Ford Jacob Companies Rick Ware Racing
Justin MARKS #51 Chevrolet Harry's Shaving Products Rick Ware Racing
Kevin HARVICK #4 Ford Busch / Busch Light Stewart-Haas Racing
Kurt BUSCH #1 Chevrolet Monster Energy Chip Ganassi Racing
Kyle BUSCH #18 Toyota M&M's Joe Gibbs Racing
Kyle LARSON #42 Chevrolet Credit One Chip Ganassi Racing
Kyle WEATHERMAN #52 Chevrolet Rick Ware Racing Rick Ware Racing
Landon CASSILL #00 Chevrolet StarCom Fiber StarCom Racing
Mark THOMPSON #66 Ford Phoenix Air Phoenix Air Racing
Martin TRUEX JR #19 Toyota Bass Pro Shops Joe Gibbs Racing
Matt DIBENEDETTO #95 Toyota Dumont JETS Leavine Family Racing
Matt TIFFT #36 Ford Front Row Motorsports Front Row Motorsports
Michael MCDOWELL #34 Ford Love's Travel Stops Front Row Motorsports
Parker KLIGERMAN #96 Toyota Gaunt Brothers Racing Gaunt Brothers Racing
Paul MENARD #21 Ford Menards Wood Brothers Racing
Quin HOUFF #77 Chevrolet Spire Motorsports Spire Motorsports
Ray BLACK #51 Chevrolet Keen's Buildings Rick Ware Racing
Reed SORENSON #36 Chevrolet Zing Zang Tommy Baldwin Racing
Ricky STENHOUSE JR #17 Ford Fastenal Roush Fenway Racing
Ross CHASTAIN #15 Chevrolet Low T Center Premium Motorsports
Ryan BLANEY #12 Ford Menards Team Penske
Ryan NEWMAN #6 Ford Oscar Mayer Roush Fenway Racing
Ryan PREECE #47 Chevrolet Kroger ClickList JTG Daugherty Racing
Ryan TRUEX #83 Toytoa Burger King BK Racing
Tanner BERRYHILL #97 Toyota Obaika Racing Obaika Racing
Timmy HILL #66 Toyota Motorsports Business Management Motorsports Business Management
Timothy PETERS #92 Ford Advance Auto Parts / BB&T Ricky Benton Racing
Ty DILLON #13 Chevrolet GEICO Germain Racing
Tyler REDDICK #31 Chevrolet Richard Childress Racing Richard Childress Racing
William BYRON #24 Chevrolet Axalta Hendrick Motorsports

i think this past weekend was issues with hotels as well. clint bowyer tweeted that hotels were charging over 300 per night for a holiday inn(normally 133) and a courtyard hotel was 319( would take walkins at 105) i know that the tracks are trying to work with fans on reasonable ticket prices but the hotels certainly are not. 

People on Rowdy Nation are saying weather and there is a problem with a bat infestation? Not sure which of these is true? TMS has gotten worse and worse. Between PSL Seats & Infield Camping it is bad. Beside My Infield Paddock Spot, I am a Speedway Club Member. Attendance in the Speedway Club is way down too!

Edited by KISS_Racing

1 minute ago, KISS_Racing said:

People on Rowdy Nation are saying weather and there is a problem with a bat infestation? Not sure which of these is true? TMS has gotten worse and worse. Between PSL Seats & Infield Camping it is bad. Beside My Infield Paddock Spot, I am a Speedway Club Member. Attendance in the Speedway Club is way down too!

wow.. hadnt heard about that.. i know most of the fans are bat sh!t crazy.. i certainly dont want to add sitting next to actual bat sh!t

Tim you can try your best to argue your normal points but this race was the best example of how much the sport has declined.   What every the factor is a fact.  Bristol used to be booked for years out and now you can walk up and get right in.  I know the next thing you are going to say is that great anyone can go watch now.  The issue is they are not going to watch anymore.  Weither its the ticket price or the racing on the track doesn't matter.  The fans are not coming. People are bring cars in 30 ft trailers because they need cars to fill the field.   Not because it is getting better for the average racer.  I'm not saying you can't have a positive attitude but you are not going to change anyone's minds on this forum about our feeling on NASCAR.   I have been a fan all my life and used to make it a point to watch or listen to the races every time they were on.  But these days I don't.  Weither it's things o have to do on my modified or going to a local dirt track or a good movie or TV show there are a lot of things that come before nascar these days.  In my opinion the racing is not as good.  It doesn't hold my attention anymore.  

I didn't compare the 2.  Everything I said was about Nascar.   It's also fine that you don't like dirt racing.  I'm not going to come on here and try every week to change your mind.  What I will do is offer to buy your pit pass to either 281, cotton bowl,  or i37 when I'm there.  But as I said in the beginning I'm not comparing nascar and dirt.  I simply said that my imca modified, dirt racing, TV shows and certain movies is what I watch instead of nascar because it no longer can keep my attention.  

5 hours ago, NickHolt said:

The future of asphalt racing is millennials racing rent-a-scooters on downtown sidewalks to see who can get to Starbucks first

Nick; you know I have all due respect for you so I’m going to choose you specially to pick on. Your line of thinking applied across the powers that be is what’s causing this issue to linger like it has.

Millenials aren’t aliens and they’re not some unknown species; they’re for the most part normal people just like you that work a 9-5 job and want to occasionally do something fun on the weekends. Thinking that millenials are the root of the problem obfuscates the real issue at hand.

I’m 33; I grew up just like any other millennial with video games and the internet. I also grew up watching every NASCAR race (if we had something to do on Sundays we’d tape the race and watch it that evening) with my entire family as well as going to all manner of motorsports events with my family. I still go to all manner of motorsports events with my family; we go to the dirt-tracks, the dragstrip, the Autocross, drift events and CoTA but almost across the board none of us keep up with NASCAR much anymore. I watch the dirt truck race, Martinsville  and Richmond (because they haven’t screwed those up with aero yet) but beyond that even Bristol is boring and while the product on the track has improved slightly it’s still spec cars, spec racers and spec tracks.

Blue collar people want blue collar sports and that is what NASCAR was. Normal people in normal cars at tracks just like the one in your town. Until NASCAR is that again nothing else matters.