Dirt Kings and Lil' Dirt Kings W/Texas Dirt Truck Series @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 3/23/19

Dirt Kings and Lil' Dirt Kings W/Texas Dirt Truck Series @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 3/23/19

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(March 23rd, 2019) I-37 Speedway ducked and dodged the scattered showers to finally get the Dirt Kings and Lil' Dirt Kings special event in. Originally scheduled as the season opener the night saw the Simpson Racing Products IMCA Modifieds, Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds and All-in-Designs Pure Stocks racing for $1,000 to win, Alamo Hot Rod Parts Street Stocks and Nogalitos gear Limited Late Models for $500 to win and the Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts going after $300 to win, plus the Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts.

The Texas Dirt Series also made its debut featuring a new idea in racing given that a large part of the south Texas vehicles on the roads are trucks. The new series, basically a truck body on a metric chassis, gives some of the old ARTS race truck the chance for a new life. The series will see action at I-37 Speedway, Cotton Bowl Speedway and Texana Raceway Park.

The evening started with several tributes to GW Egbert, who suffered a serious injury during last weeks event. At the drivers meeting a text from Egbert to Darin Leonard was read to everyone along with an audio from Egberts wife, Brooke, that had some of those attending in tears. Cody Leonard also sported a 717 number change on his IMCA Modified as a tribute to his friend.

The pit and track prayer both were highlighted by well wishes to Egbert and the IMCA Modified winner, Chris Swenson, echoed his thoughts in Victory Lane. After pre-race donations and passing the helmet at intermission the track raised nearly $1,000, with others adding on after picking up their winnings.

Swenson Sneaks in Modified Win

There's some old adage about 'saving the best for last.' Such was the case as the IMCA Modified feature rolled off last for the night. Through the mid-stages of the 20-lapper Leonard, Swenson and Nebraska's Chad Anderson had a good three- car battle going for the top spot. A caution set up a slide job dual between Swenson and Anderson as they swapped the lead for the final five laps with Swenson edging out Anderson at the line to score the win.

On green it was Bill Pittaway getting the advantage trailed by Leonard, Rick Green, Anderson and Chris Carroll. Mike Morris would loop it for a quick yellow. On the restart it was Leonard getting inside Pittaway and by to lead lap 2 with Anderson following him through to second. Behind the lead trio were Green, Swenson and Carroll going three wide for fourth.

Swenson, who was first to try the high side, got the spot, then by Pittaway for third. On a restart for a spin by Marlin Samford, Swenson, staying up, powered by Leonard to lead lap 8. This left Leonard, who moved up top, side by side with Anderson for second.

At halfway it was Swenson, Anderson, Leonard, Carroll and Green with Leonard and Anderson swapping second. Rowdy Flanagan had trouble and pulled to a stop in turn 4 for a lap 15 caution.

And then the fun began.

On the restart Swenson running up top saw Anderson dive in low and slide Swenson who crossed him over on the back stretch. Again Anderson threw a slide job in turn 3 and beat Swenson back to lead lap 16. Swenson drew back along side and ahead in turns 1-2. Turn 3 Anderson again dove low, Swenson crossed over and led lap 17.

All this gave Leonard a chance to stick his nose in the fight with the trio going three wide and had the crowd going crazy. Anderson tried again in turn 1 but came up a bit short of closing Swenson's line as Swenson powered around the top.

With the white flag waving Anderson was able to inch out front and lead lap 19 with the two wheel to wheel. Swenson led down the back stretch with Anderson diving in turn 3 one last time. Swenson crossed him over and won the drag race to line by a wheel for the win in the Swenson Racing Products, Swenson Racing Shocks, All in Designs, Natasha Swenson, GM crate powered, Willie Kraft Chassis.

5c98055377f4b__SRP9780(1280x848)(2).thumb.jpg.223ff72e4f8ef17b99be6b6b0ce795e7.jpg

“That was crazy,” exclaimed Swenson. “Slide job city, really. We just kept going back and forth, back and forth. He'd slide me, I'd slide him. It was just was the last to give one as the checkered flag flew.”

“I was a little leery. I'm kind of old school back before we did slide jobs. It's one of those things that you really have to trust the guy. It puts on a great show, but it is kind of scary. You're just waiting the guy to slide right into the side of you. He drove an excellent race, I just came out on top today.”

“The deal with GW has been on my mind all week long. We're really worried about him. He's one of us and that kind of thing can happen to anyone. It really hits home! When we had that last caution he was really the only thing I could think about. It's a tragedy and we all want him to get better. We all want to see him back out here with us.”

I spoke to Anderson, who visited I-37 Speedway last year and grabbed the win. Walking the pits pre-race I asked if he was back to take our Texas money back to Nebraska. His reply was, “That's the plan.” Post race he added, “That was fun. I just couldn't close off his line. My car wouldn't run the top like his was. We like traveling and really like this track. We'll be back again.”

Simpson Racing Products IMCA Modifieds

48 Chris Swenson, 8c Chad Anderson, 717/12 Cody Leonard, 15c Chris Carroll, 1 Marcus Mikulencak, 82 Rick Green, 129 Jamie Campbell, 148 Garrett Gregory, 137 Bill Pittaway, 55m Mike Morris, 27 Justin Delgado, 58 Rowdy Flanagan, 31m Marlin Samford

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 137 Bill Pittaway, 15c Chris Carroll, 48 Chris Swenson, 55m Mike Morris, 1 Marcus Mikulencak, 27 Justin Delgado---dns

Heat 2; 717/12 Cody Leonard, 82 Rick Green, 8c Chad Anderson, 58 Rowdy Flanagan, 148 Garrett Gregory, 129 Jamie Campbell, 31m Marlin Samford---dns

Mikulencak Motors to Sport Mod Money

Being an 'old school' guy myself, I'll take old age and experience over youth and exuberance most of the time. Tonight it played out as Lawrence Mikulencak(Corpus Christi) found the better line to get by Jared Maupin in the waning laps snag the checkers in his Ace Transmissions, Scott Ball Racing, All in Designs, Mission Racing, IRP Chassis

It appeared at first like the 25-lap Sport Modified feature might hits its time limit before even getting a lap in. It took three tries before Maupin got the lead ahead of Joe Aramendia, Talon Minten, Trent Beaver and Johnny Torres. Aramendia was able to get past Maupin to lead lap 2 when a quick caution waved for an Allen Torres spin.

Once back to racing, Talon Minten jumped to the top, while Maupin was looking inside Aramendia for the lead. Using the high groove, T. Minten was able to get by both for the point on lap 4. Maupin fought back two laps later getting by T. Minten on lap 6 as they diced three wide in traffic.

T. Minten began to show a little smoke by lap 10, while Mikulencak cracked the top five after losing spots early. By halfway it was Maupin, T. Minten, Aramendia, Mikulencak and Beaver in the top five. Cade O'Banon went over the turn 2 hill for a lap 14 yellow. As green waved again Mikulencak got along side Aramendia while T. Minten pulled off from second.

Mikulencak now had second with Cody Leonard, coming from the back, made his way by Beaver for fourth and Chris Swenson took fifth. Using the top, Mikulencak got a good run on Maupin and got along side for the lead and edged out front on lap 22 as Leonard took third. Maupin tried to fight back on the bottom but it was Mikulencak able to grab the win.

“I was just trying to make sure I finished,” replied Mikulencak. “The track came to me and (Jared) Maupin) made me work for it. I watched the Minten boys go around me on the high side. I kept digging around on the bottom and I couldn't do anything there. First chance I had to go out there, I went. It was tricky though. It wasn't just run around the top. There were some places to find traction and you had to go to them.

“I found if I got the car turned sooner coming off (turn) 4 and drove down that it's where I was making up ground. In (turns) 1-2 you just had to hold your own. Coming off turn 4 is what got me to the front.”

“I knew I couldn't make the bottom work so I just committed to the top. There were some guys that could run down there better than me, but I couldn't. I gave that idea up pretty quick.”

“I wasn't even going to run this show. I broke a motor last week in Corpus. Scott Ball called me and asked me if I wanted to borrow a motor. So I did and it passed tech(jokingly). I've never raced with a Mission Racing motor, always against them. It worked pretty good.”

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds

87 Lawrence Mikulencak, bd2 Jared Maupin, 12 Cody Leonard, 30 Chris Swenson, L87 Joe Aramendia, 14 Trent Beaver, 77 Cody Beddoe, 24r Robby Minten, 28m Mason Casteneda, 66 Johnny Torres, 12r Roly Rodriguez, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 94 Allen Torres, bd4 Cheryl Gray, bd3 Eddy Ross, 2 Talon Minten, 82 Cade O'Banon, 56 Broc Bowen, 22t Tommy Grimes

Sport Modified heats

Heat 1; bd2 Jared Maupin, 2 Talon Minten, 56 Broc Bowen, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 12r Roly Rodriguez, 94 Allen Torres, bd4 Cheryl Gray

Heat 2; 14 Trent Beaver, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 24r Robby Minten, 77 Cody Leonard, bd3 Eddy Ross, 12 Cody Leonard

Heat 3; L87 Joe Aramendia, 66 Johnny Torres, 28m Mason Casteneda, 22t Tommy Grimes, 30 Chris Swenson, 28 Cade O'Banon

Grimes Grabs Gold Again

San Antonio's Tommy Grimes made it two for two in wins this season showing his dominance for the second night. Grimes got past early leader and multi-time track champ, Trey Votion on lap 5. Grimes would be able to ease away from the field with closest anyone getting coming under yellow. Trying everything, Votion would half spin from second and fall back leaving Grimes in the Tracy Rail Service, Howell Crane & Rigging, All in Designs, Longs Race Engines, Shaw Chassis unchallenged for the win.

Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models

22t Tommy Grimes, 57 Jason Kelly, 5 DJ Schroat, 99 Trey Votion, 13 Howie Marcx, 93 Aaron Leddy, 44 Quentin Henderson, 53x Matt Fox, 42 Ron Sprayue

Limited Late Model heat

Heat 1; 99 Trey Votion, 57 Jason Kelly , 22t Tommy Grimes, 5 DJ Schroat, 93 Aaron Leddy, 42 Ron Sprayue, 53x Matt Fox, 44 Quentin Henderson, 13 Howie Marcx

Baggett Bags Inaugural Truck Tally

Burnet's Larry Baggett grabbed the first ever Texas Dirt Truck Series win. Baggett got by heat race winner Tony Bernal on lap 1 then went wire to wire pulling away for the victory in the Langley, Signs2Go, Chevy Truck.

Texas Dirt Truck Series

3 Larry Baggett, 51 Tony Bernal, m5 Russell Rust, 28 Russ Parker, 22m Anthony Gordon

Texas Dirt Truck Series heat

Heat 1; 51 Tony Bernal, 3 Larry Baggett, m5 Russell Rust, 28 Russ Parker, 22m Anthony Gordon

Jourdanton's Jones the Street Sweeper

Defending and multi-time track champ Wade Jones rebounded from car trouble in the season opener to put it on the Street Stock field in the 15- lap feature. Jones led flag to flag with Anthony Gordon on his tail as the two pulled away from the pack. Behind the lead duo, Mike Lyon, James Parks and Chris Shafer had their own little battle for third. Gordon was able to get within a couple car lengths at the finish, but Jones in the SABFI Transportation, Opiela Mechanical, Mission Racing, Camaro took the checkers.

Alamo Hot Rod Parts Street Stocks

41 Wade Jones, 22m Anthony Gordon, 77 Chris Shafer, 20 Mike Lyon, 33jp James Parks, 64 Michael Harrell

Street Stock heat

Heat 1; 41 Wade Jones, 22 Anthony Gordon, 20 Mike Lyon, 33jp James Parks, 77 Chris Shafer, 64 Michael Harrell

Minten Takes Pure Stock Pay Day After Tech Pad

Twenty-two of the twenty-four cars took the green and with $1,000 on the line plus duo drivers having to start in the back you'd expect it to be a “highly contested” 25-lap(scheduled) feature. In the end it Robby Minten, who started 20th awarded the win after Jared Maupin, who started 15th failed post race tech.

On the start it was Tryton Temple jumping out front chased by Dillon Gaither, Kenny Wright, Josh Sewell and Cheyloh Brodnax. It wasn't long until the duo race drivers were making their way forward. Allen Torres was one of the first getting by Riley Heil for fifth on lap 4 with R. Minten on his tail.

On a restart, Gaither took a look inside Temple for the lead while R. Minten and A. Torres looked for way around both. Cody Leonard had steering failure and collected Andrew Garcia and Johnny Torres to bring out a short red after blocking the track in turn 1. Once back to green R. Minten jumped top side and got by Temple for the lead on lap 8 while Gaither, A. Torres and Maupin were three wide for third.

Gaither would spin from that battle and get the bumper cover ripped off. The restart gave Maupin the opportunity to move up to second and let R. Minten know he was there. At the scheduled halfway mark it was R. Minten, Maupin, Talon Minten, Temple and Sewell in the top five.

Maupin began challenging R. Minten for the lead with Sewell and JW Blocker swapping fifth. Maupin got the nose inside R. Minten on lap 16 and along side on the back stretch winning the race back to the line to lead lap 17.

A last caution had officials cut the race to 20 laps, or a green, white, checker finish. Maupin got away clean while T. Minten and R. Minten ran door to door for second. At the checkers Maupin was first across the line, but a tech issue handed the win to R. Minten(Castroville) in the 3-D Landscaping, Ace Transmission, Nogalitos Gear, All in Designs, Doyon Motorsports, CD Tire Shop, Longs Machine Shop, Empire Race Car.

"Thanks to Ray Doyon for letting me drive the car tonight'” commented Minten. “I've gotten to race it twice and have 2 wins, I like that they're making the Sport Modified guys start in the back. I started 20th and had a blast coming through the field. "

All in Designs Pure Stocks

3 Robby Minten, 49k Talon Minten, 99t Tryton Temple, 38 Josh Sewell, 15b JW Blocker, 58 Cheyloh Brodnax, 5 Dillon Gaither, 10 Scott Jerkins, 75 Jerry Miller, m13 Jeremy Watson, 15 William Cavender, 44k Katherine Keylich, 36 George Quintanilla, 82 Andrew Garcia, 68 Kenny Wright, 94 Allen Torres, 30 Riley Heil, 12 Cody Leonard, 17e Jerry Evans, 26br Johnny Torres, 28 Chad Miller, bd1 Jared Maupin---dq(tech-shocks), 17 Casey Lowe---dntg, 6 Daniel Preston---dns

Pure Stock heats

Heat 1; 94 Allen Torres, bd1 Jared Maupin, 58 Cheyloh Brodnax, 38 Josh Sewell, 36 George Quintanilla, 17 Casey Lowe, 82 Andrew Garcia, 15 William Cavender

Heat 2; 99t Tryton Temple, 49k Talon Minten, 12 Cody Leonard, 30 Riley Heil, 75 Jerry Miller, m13 Jeremy Watson, 3 Ryan Doyon, 6 Daniel Preston

Heat 3; 5 Dillon Gaither, 68 Kenny Wright, 26br Johnny Torres, 44k Katherine Keylich, 17e Jerry Evans, 15b JW Blocker, 10 Scott Jerkins, 28 Chad Miller---dns

Ball Best Again

Kirk Ball was best of the Sport Compact bunch for the second straight week, but this time he and defending champion, Jamie Garner had a lot of company. Trevor Bettis, who led a few laps in the mid stages, Justin Sitterle, Brandon McCall and Johnny Ervin all had good runs as the top five stayed closed up or had looks at the lead.

In the closing laps the top five were nose to tail and side by side with McCall giving Ball a push past Bettis for the lead just past halfway. Bettis was on Balls bumper as the white flag flew, but it was Ball in his Krystal Ball Communications, Speedway Signs, VW Sirocco holding on to take the victory.

Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts

38 Kirk Ball, 57 Trevor Bettis, 33 Jamie Garner, 44 Johnny Ervin, 14 Brandon McCall, 88 Justin Sitterle, 1 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 39 Roy Easler jr., 23 Kasey Krauss, 81 Michael Burris, 29t Georghe Compton, 93 Colton Borlace, 01 Adolph Tracy, 8 Devin Tracy, 25 Robert Fox, 5L Scott Lesher, 11j Josh Jones, 18g Gersom Salais---dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 38 Kirk Ball, 57 Trevor Bettis, 44 Johnny Ervin, 1 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 5L Scott Lesher, 93 Colton Borlace, 01 Adolph Tracy, 25 Robert Fox, 8 Devin Tracy

Heat 2; 88 Justin Sitterle, 14 Brandon McCall, 23 Kasey Krauss, 33 Jamie Garner, 39 Roy Easler jr., 81 Michael Burris, 29t George Compton, 11j Josh Jones, 18g Gersom Salais

Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts(features)

Senior Division; Charles Flanagan, Ryker Hernandez, Hanna Miller

Junior Division; Cody Clegg, Levi McDonald, James Little, Peyton Jones

Youth Division; Blaine Markgraf, Cheston Markgraf

Archived