Opening Night @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 3/16/19

Opening Night @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 3/16/19

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(March, 16th, 2019) And so it begins.

After losing a pre-season opener(Dirt Kings & 'Lil' Dirt Kings) to drizzle and muddy conditions the previous week, I-37 Speedway finally caught a break in the weather for the official kick-off of the points season. The cool evening temperatures helped make increased horsepower for the car sand keep moisture in the ¼ mile, semi-banked, clay oval early. As the night wore on it slicked off nicely making set crucial.

Friday night was an open practice for drivers to get a jump on the opener and get some laps, while others, who made last months practice fine tuned their set ups for Saturday.

The track once again features the Simpson Race Products IMCA sanctioned Modified, Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds, Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models, Alamo Hot Rod Parts Street Stocks, All in Design Pure Stocks and Brown Chevrolet Sport Compact, along with the Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts(Off tonight).

Leonard Wins Last Lap Shootout

Sinton's Cody Leonard scored the IMCA Modified season opener in dramatic style. Following a red flag for GW Egbert, who was struck in the helmet, Chris Morris and Leonard put on a show for the fans. C. Morris, who had begun to chase Leonard down, hounded Leonard with looks inside. On the final lap C. Morris put a slide job on Leonard in turn 4, but Leonard crossed over and won the drag race to the checkers by a bumper.

After a multi-car tangle scrubbed the initial start, Joey Whitehead got the edge off turn 2 for the lead with Mike Morris driving back alongside. Whitehead would lead at the line with M. Morris, Chris Swenson, Leonard and Donald Banker in pursuit. Swenson would get by M. Morris and Whitehead to lead lap 2.

Leonard followed Swenson and got around him for the top spot on lap 3. Behind the lead battle, C. Morris was on the chase moving up to third bringing Egbert along to fourth. At halfway it was Leonard, Swenson, C. Morris, Egbert with Whitehead and M. Morris side by side for fifth.

As Leonard was running up on traffic, C. Morris caught Swenson for second took the spot. Lap 15 saw the red fly for Egbert who was struck in the helmet by something kicked up off the track. Egbert was checked by track EMT's then transported to a nearby hospital before being transferred to San Antonio for further treatment.

Once back to green, the race was on. C. Morris, who uses hand controls, began showing Leonard the nose going into the corners. Twice C. Morris got a good enough run in turns 1-2 to get alongside Leonard on the back stretch. On the final lap C. Morris stayed on Leonard's bumper up on the high side.

Getting a good run off turn 2, C. Morris threw a slide job on Leonard going into turn 3. As C. Morris slid up, Leonard crossed him over and went under him coming off turn 4. Leonard was able to win the race to the finish line in his Mobilease, Wright-Reneau Law Firm, Reneau Farms, Coastal Diesel, CD Electric, Swenson Racing Shocks, K&R, Ace Transmission, Wells Race Engines, 2018 Shaw Chassis.

5c8eb8e20b00b__SRP9730(1280x848)(2).jpg.4624d57a92b884fb4d4fc7535867c75c.jpg

“I knew that new Lethal car of Chris(Morris) was really quick.” replied Leonard. He's a good driver and the car is fast so I was expecting him to come up front. After that red, and I hope GW(Egbert) is alright, I knew after talking to everyone that he was moving forward. I didn't know if I should change my line up or keep it. I decided to just run my line and hope for the best.”

“I was expecting his move on the last lap. I could have driven in harder and tried to fight it out side by side. I knew he was going to try to slide up and take my line so I eased it in and crossed over on him.”

“What happened to GW kind of concerned me. It worried me when I hopped in the Sport Mod and was running in a big pack up next to the wall. We may need more bars in the front to block or break up whatever is coming.”

Simpson Race Products IMCA Modifieds

12 Cody Leonard, 94 Chris Morris, 48 Chris Swenson, 377 Donald Banker, 86 Dillon Tindall, 82 Rick Green, 55m Mike Morris, 29 Jamie Campbell, 137 Bill Pittaway, 55 Rick Talley, 717 GW Egbert, m17 Joey Whitehead, 420 Shawn O'Banon, 27 Justin Delgado---dns

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 48 Chris Swenson, 82 Rick Green, 29 Jamie Campbell, 12 Cody Leonard, 717 GW Egbert, 86 Dillon Tindall, 420 Shawn O'Banon

Heat 2; 94 Chris Morris, 377 Donald Banker, 137 Bill Pittaway , m17 Joey Whitehead, 55m Mike Morris, 55 Rick Talley, 27 Justin Delgado---dns

Swenson Swift in Sport Mods

Chris Swenson(Boerne) moved up from his seventh starting spot to get the lead just before halfway. Swenson, in the Jerry & Mary Elhard owned, Hughes Chassis built a good lead until running up on traffic in the latter stages. Cody Leonard and Steve Whiteaker jr. closed the gap, but never close enough to mount a challenge as Swenson took the checkers.

The first start was a ragged, three wide try that saw Trent Beaver go over the turn 3 hill. On the next try it was Joe Aramendia into turn 1 first with a three wide battle for second . Talon Minten got that spot and went by Aramendia for the lead trailed by Robby Minten, Aramendia, Chase Havely and Swenson.

Aramendia rebounded and retook the lead on lap 2 with Swenson moving up to third. As Swenson and T. Minten swapped second, Frank Okruhlik, R. Minten and Leonard were three wide for fourth. After securing second from T. Minten, Swenson used the top to get by Aramendia for the lead on lap 8.

At the crossed flags it was Swenson, Aramendia, T. Minten, Leonard and R. Minten in the top five while Whiteaker worked his way to sixth. Leonard, T. Minten and Aramendia were three abreast for second on lap 12 as Swenson eased away. Leonard got the spot with Whiteaker going by Aramendia for fourth.

As Leonard and T. Minten swapped second, Whiteaker was able to close on both. With two to go, Swenson caught the back of the field allowing Leonard and Whiteaker to eat into his lead. Neither was able to get close enough to give Swenson, in the Elhard Air Conditioning & Electric, Wrap It Up Designs, Swenson Racing Shocks, Fletchers Race Engines, Hughes Chassis, a look as he motored to the victory.

“A lot of luck and determination,” exclaimed Swenson. “It's really tough. You come here and you've the best of the best Sport Mod drivers in south Texas. It takes a little luck and hard work.”

“When I caught the back of the pack Tommy(Grimes) was running pretty good and the track had really slicked up. I was worried and kept looking down to see if anyone was coming. I knew eventually they would be, but the track was so slick and Tommy wasn't off a whole lot. I tried to duck under him a couple times, but it was too slick to make a pass. It's just one of those times you need to have patience, and tonight it paid off.”

“I really don't think about who may be coming. I was just going as hard as I could. It was kind of the same in the Modified race where I was running second to Cody(Leonard) and he probably wasn't thinking about me. It's just a matter of going hard, hitting your marks and not making any mistakes. Tonight we didn't make any mistakes.”

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds

30 Chris Swenson, 12 Cody Leonard, 89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 2 Talon Minten, L87 Joe Aramendia, 24r Robby Minten, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 22m Anthony Gordon, 66 Johnny Torres, bd3 Eddy Ross, 94 Allen Torres, 11t Tommy Grothues, 5r Ryan Doyon, 22t Tommy Grimes, 77 Cody Beddoe, bd4 Cheryl Gray, 82 Cade O'Banon, 14 Trent Beaver, 31 Chase Havely, bd2 Jared Maupin, 717 GW Egbert---dns

Sport Modified heats

Heat 1; 12 Cody Leonard, 2 Talon Minten, 31 Chase Havely, 30 Chris Swenson, bd4 Cheryl Gray, 717 GW Egbert---dntg

Heat 2; 66 Johnny Torres, 14 Trent Beaver, 08 Frank Okruhlik, 11t Tom Grothues, 94 Allen Torres, bd3 Eddy Ross, 5r Ryan Doyon

Heat 3

89c Steve Whiteaker jr., 24r Robby Minten, 77 Cody Beddoe, L87 Joe; Aramendia, 22m Anthony Gordon 22t Tommy Grimes, 82 Cade O'Banon, bd2 Jared Maupin

Grimes Great in Limited Late Models

Despite arriving late, Tommy Grimes(San Antonio) went home with the Limited Late Model win after taking the point from early leader Quentin Henderson on lap 5. After starting eighth Grimes, who spent the night repairing a fence and the day repairing the racecar, quickly made his way to the front using the high side.

In the pack Henderson and defending track champ, Trey Votion, had a good fight going on for second as they watched Grimes pull away. A lap 14 caution for spin closed the field up. Votion was able to get second from Henderson on the restart, but Grimes in the Tracy Rail Service, Howell Crane & Rigging, All in Designs, Longs Race Engines, Shaw Chassis had the power to score the win.

“The car is really good, we've made a lot of changes,” said Grimes. “I knew we had to get better through the corners. We were getting beat bad there last year. We changed some suspension parts. I was glad it turned out as good as it did with all that we changed. Our plan is to run for points in both classes this year. As long as we have a little luck and everything stays together. We're to try to make every weekend and see where that ends up.”

“My wife asked me when I was changing it all, 'It was good last year, why are you changing it? Is it going to be as good?' On paper it should be better, but on the racetrack I don't know yet. The freer you can make these things the better they work and faster they should be.”

“As many race cars as I've hauled and the miles I've driven we've never had anything like what happened Friday on the way to practice happen. We had the chain break off the front of the car and the D-ring on the back broke. The car rolled off the trailer, through a ditch, a fence and out in the middle of a cow pasture. At about 11:30 last night we were rebuilding a mans fence. This morning we starting working on the car. Fortunately it only bent the bumper bars, that's why we were late getting here tonight.”

Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models

22t Tommy Grimes, 99 Trey Votion, 44 Quentin Henderson, 13 Howie Marcx, 57 Jason Kelly, 5 DJ Schroat, 42 Ron Sprayue, 1x Andrew Hesler

Limited Late Model heat

Heat 1; 99 Trey Votion, 57 Jason Kelly, 44 Quentin Henderson, 42 Ron Sprayue, 13 Howie Marcx, 22 Tommy Grimes, 5 DJ Schroat, 1x Andrew Hesler---dns

Gordon Grabs Street Stock Gold

In what shaped up to be a good three-car battle between defending track champ Wade Jones, Jarrett Barber and Anthony Gordon in the early stages, it was Gordon making a last lap pass on Barber for victory. Barber grabbed the lead on lap 1 with Jones taking the position on lap 2 as the top three broke away.

Barber retook the point on lap 5 bringing Gordon along to second. As Barber and Gordon put distance on Jones, Gordon began sticking the nose inside. Gordon got under Barber in turns 1-2 and held on to lead lap 14 and keep Barber at bay for the win in the Alamo Hot Rod Parts, All in Designs, Dewalt Tools, 8T1 Construction, crate powered, Dog House Chassis.

“I had a little bit of luck on my side,” said Gordon. “We've been so busy at work that we've neglected this car over the off season. I think we pulled the car cover off on Wednesday and it needed a lot of work. If it wasn't for Gordon Leland and Greg Hubbell getting everything done we probably wouldn't have been here tonight and sure wouldn't be standing here with the trophy”

“I don't think we've found anything. Wade(Jones) just had a bad night. When we pulled in and I saw that (Jarrett) Barber was here and he's been the 'Wade Killer' I was pretty nervous about him though. Wade had a little oil leak and there was some grip in the bottom of (turns) 1-2. Barber was staying above it and I just got down in it and was able to get the win on the last lap.”

Alamo Hot Rod Parts Street Stocks

22m Anthony Gordon, 19 Jarrett Barber, 41 Wade Jones, 20 Mike Lyon, 93 Aaron Leddy, 81 Tony Bernal, 64 Michael Harrell

Street Stock heat

Heat 1; 41 Wade Jones, 22m Anthony Gordon, 19 Jarrett Barber, 93 Aaron Leddy, 81 Tony Bernal, 20 Mike Lyon,64 Michael Harrell

Leonard Lands Pure Stock Pay Day

Cody Leonard picked up a second I-37 Speedway trophy jumping in the Jamie Fuller owned Pure Stock normally piloted by Aaron Leddy. It was a rock-em, sock-em affair that was eventually shortened due to time limit. Daniel Preston led early until a half spin saw him fall back in the pack giving the lead to Leonard on lap 7.

At halfway Leonard got a good jump on a restart ahead of Jared Maupin, Preston, Dillon Gaither and Scott Jerkins. Gaither and Jerkins would both get past Preston for third and fourth, respectively. A lap 13 spin set up a green, white, checker finish that saw Maupin give Leonard a look on the high side, but it was Leonard in the Reflective Wrecker, CNC Grafix, C3 Speed Horses, crate powered, Oval Components Chassis.

“The Pure Stock feature started off kind of rough,” commented Leonard. “I made a mistake and fell back to about eighth. The car was fast and we were able to drive it back up. Once we got the lead we were able to walk away with the win. This car is fast and for sale. It's a good one.”

All in Design Pure Stocks

93 Cody Leonard, bd1 Jared Maupin, 5 Dillon Gaither, 6 Daniel Preston, 10 Scott Jerkins, 15 William Cavender, 68 Kenny Wright, 09 Clint Montanio, m13 Jeremy Watson, 36 George Quintanilla, 28 Chad Miller, 75 Jerry Miller, 58 Cheyloh Brodnax, 44k Katherine Keylich, 18 Emmett Sevilla, 51 Albert Medellin, 49k Michael Keylich, 30 Riley Heil, 3 Ryan Doyon---dq(pit infraction), 94 Allen Torres---dns

Pure Stock heats

Heat 1; 3 Ryan Doyon, 58 Cheyloh Brodnax, m13 Jeremy Watson, 18 Emmett Sevilla, 10 Scott Jerkins, 15 William Cavender, 09 Clint Montanio

Heat 2; bd1 Jared Maupin, 6 Daniel Preston, 49k Michael Keylich, 93 Cody Leonard, 68 Kenny Wright, 36 George Quintanilla, 28 Chad Miller

Heat 3; 5 Dillon Gaither, 94 Allen Torres, 44k Katherine Keylich, 30 Riley Heil, 51 Albert Medellin, 75 Jerry Miller

Ball Best in Compact Bash

Kirk Ball(Adkins) battled it out with friend and VW Sirocco mate, Jamie Garner in the 15-lap Sport Compact feature. Trevor Bettis led the way early until Ball and defending track champ, Garner got by on lap 4. At the mid point it was Ball, Garner, Bettis, Brandon McCall and Johnny Ervin, with the two VW's running nose to tail and pulling away.

With five to go the lead duo ran up on slower traffic and Garner began pressuring Ball for the lead. The two made some contact while dicing through the back markers with Garner run to the infield. This gave Ball in the Krystal Ball Communications, Speedway Signs, VW a slight gap that he carried to the finish.

Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts

38 Kirk Ball,33 Jamie Garner, 57 Trevor Bettis, 14 Brandon McCall, 44 Johnny Ervin, 23 Kasey Krauss, 15 Devon Suritt, 1 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 29t George Compton, 5 Scott Lesher, 88 Justin Sitterle, 8 Adolph Tracy, 11j Josh Jones, 93 Colton Borlace---dns

Sport Compact heat

Heat 1; 14 Brandon McCall, 57 Trevor Bettis, 38 Kirk Ball, 33 Jamie Garner, 44 Johnny Ervin, 29t George Compton, 11j Josh Jones

Heat 2; 23 Kasey Krauss, 88 Justin Sitterle, 5L Scott Lester, 1 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 15 Devon Surritt, 8 Adolph Tracy, 93 Colton Borlace

Next Saturday(3-23-19) will be the make up date for the Dirt Kings & 'Lil' Dirt Kings featuring increased purses for all classes including $1,000 to win for the IMCA Modifieds, Sport Modified and Pure Stocks.

That was nice of Tommy to rebuild the guy's fence. What a freak thing to happen with the tie downs. Hope GW gets better. Been seeing debates online about lead but a piece of concrete flying up, scary to think of. Great job Reb, thanks for making us feel like we were there.

I'm still not certain on what hit GW.....I spoke to Chris and he said his car scaled right in tech post-race so I discount the lead theory....He was visibly shaken by the event....I originally "assumed" it went through the face shield, but I've been told that wasn't the case either....It broke through the helmet itself.

I read on fb that after surgery for a broken jaw, nose and other facial bones that he's been released from the hospital. A follow up visit is due to to re-evaluate more possible surgery. 

I've known and watched all the Egbert boys growing up and racing.....GW is probably the toughest of the bunch.

I can see a lot of grocery shopping carts going missing and getting cut up to add more protection in the windshield opening.

The lead was unrelated on other track/drivers posts. From what I've read, it was a piece of concrete that hit GW. From what I've seen with the Egberts, I don't think he was wearing an inferior helmet either so I'm sure it was something that was very heavy and solid that hit him. Unfortunate event but I'm glad he's relatively ok after it, could have been much worse. Knowing how I37 is operated, I'm sure the track and walls will be looked at this week to avoid this from happening again and hopefully drivers are continuing to secure their lead or anything else that could be a hazard too. Hopefully he continues to heal and will be back soon, great guy to watch race.

Archived