Night 3 Jerry Whiteaker Memorial

top_shelf_12

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jennings trying to make a charge on the bottom but can't get it to stick. Moves back up and settles into 4th. Westover comes to a stop in turn 2, puts the window net down in disgust. Looks like his night is over unfortunately. Brown, L. Mikulencak, Jennings, Butcher and Lege top 5 now with about 20 to go.

Hot battle for 3rd between Jennings, Butcher, T. Minten, B. Rye and Lege. Brown stepping out a bit on L. Mikulencak. Yellow out as Whitmire spins in four with 12 to go. Whitmire pulls into the pits ending his night. T. Minten with problems under yellow ending his great run. Brown, Mikulencak, Jennings, Butcher and Rye top 5 late.

Unfortunately had to work Thursday night but it was a good weekend. STS did a great job on keeping the show moving along. Think Thursday and Friday were done by 11 and Saturday was done around midnight. Ran a lot of laps in short times, didn't seem to be lineup delays, intermissions were a good amount of time, tow truck drivers were on it when needed, safety crew per usual were very prompt and the drivers seemed like they were ready to go at all times too. I also want to thank people who you don't usually hear too much praise for and that's the concession crew. Everytime I went down there, they kept it moving too.

Honestly, I've only been disappointed in one track I've been to in the past few years and it was a very iffy night to begin with so maybe it's better now. Won't say which track it was but I will speak very highly of STS, I37, and TRP as those are the ones I visit the most. All 3 do a great job but this weekend was well done by everyone at STS. 

South Texas Speedway did show they had their act together from the ticket/token booth , concession workers , announcing ,infield crew , line-up person everything you can think off. Only negative was no event t-shirts unless I missed it. A+ job to all those involved in putting on this show! 

THE FIRST night for practice was touch on go with the track and smog keeping it slick ..but steve and crew worked hard to make it right .the next three night the track got better and better least for us who run slicks ..  have no problem with giving steve and his crew a shout out .very good job each night improving the track condition under the moister in the air ….  we brought the new out and sent the drive shaft out the back practice night ..so one lap .second night missed heat with a water leak in line up .no laps ..only maybe 8 laps total with new car before we finally made into the feature .and ended with a good finish ...new car bugs you know … now here is the kicker  ..I dont know who it was and hopefully wasn't a regular racer or friends of a racer ..the heat race jesse was going to take the win more than likely, Not that we were running for a win just trying to get some set up and learning time . ,but a win would have been ok ..jesse had to pull off leading from smoke coming from under the hood ….instead of a fire or blown motor he pulled off ……… WE PULLED THE HOOD AND FOUND SOMETHING DESTURBING ..AFTER RACING CARS FULL TIME FROM 1984 and never had this happen or forget to make sure they were tight … someone unscrewed all 8 of our valve cover bolts . not just loose from normal gasket shrinkage .. backed off so far you could turn them with a wet noodle most all three or more threads  above contact with valve covers ..we made the mistake leaving the hood off for a few hours that day and parked just inside the gate where everyone could walk right by the car .... .and hope it wasn't a racer or team person who did this ..I have had problems with other drivers to a point of wanting to punch them out and be  parked next to them .and never ever would have done anything to their car ..that aint right .so we lost a race and track time over that …. funny we ran the feature the night before and check our car the next day even those valve covers were checked the next morning .we had no leaks in that feature …...so if you know who might have done that best keep it a secrete ..a whole lot safer for them ..you never want to be known for missing with a car …..well anyway we had a good time the system they had worked out just fine for most .we changed the car for better and for worst and now need to practice it more and learn what it likes ..over all grade for sts ..way up there .

Oh wow, I'm sorry that happened to you guys. I've heard stories in years past of steering wheels and loose stuff walking off but taking bolts off? That's pretty crappy. Most of the people I've met in racing are more than willing to help a fellow racer out, not the other way around. Hopefully you guys can get that car dialed in and your equipment stays safe.

Archived