TEXAS SPEED TV show 1993

King237

Trace Allee died suddenly in a tragic 1998 (or thereabouts) car accident.  As I recall, Texas Speed was funded by Frank Howell, who owned the lease to San Antonio Speedway at the time the show was being produced.

Trace was a good guy with the best of hearts and best of intentions and he did his very best for the sport he loved.  By all accounts, Trace made almost no money producing Texas Speed since nearly all the money went right back into production costs.  

By the way, my good friend Chuck Licata was part of the production team and has some great memories of Trace and the show. 

Frank really put a lot of money, time and effort into San Antonio Speedway during his tenure and his son-in-law, Jason Oates, and his son, Audie Howell, were among the front runners in the top division. Naturally enough, some of the other front-runners were convinced that Jason and Audie were getting preferential treatment. Some of you may recall the Beaver Stelzig "boycott" over the issue. I was the Motorsports writer for the San Antonio Light newspaper and Frank didn't take kindly to my running a story about the Stelzig controversy. Not one to mince words, Frank introduced me at one San Antonio Awards Banquet where NASCAR officials were in attendance as, "Nick the Prick"

The name stuck for some unknown reason. LOL  

Nick

Archived