Old SAS Video

King237

Videos don't do it justice how fast that track was and how well Brandon mastered SAS. Still nothing sounds better than 20 or so Late Models taking the green at SAS. Would give almost anything to go back to those days. USMTS and Sprint Cars are close to that sound but SAS was truly special. Thanks for sharing.

This Very Special Asphalt High- Banked Speedway opened in mid - late summer of 1977 as "Highway - 16 Raceway"....Some time around 1982 - 1984 this track was re-named as San Antonio Speedway from then on....

So my guess is since it is named SAS in this video,  and the interior pits & grounds are still sparse and bare so to speak....

And the Late Model cars in the video is sharp wedge style nose type of Camaro & Firebirds with tall Lexan rear spoilers that came in to vouge in 1982 - 1984....

And late 60's & early 70's cars for street stocks racing in the video....

So My Guess is 1982 to 1984....

I raced there in 1980 & 1981 and it was named "Highway-16 Raceway" at that time with the "Alamo Raceway" drag strip that was just behind the oval track grand stands....you could watch both races from the top row of seats at SAS....

us Houston teams or us out of towner's got $60.00 Tow-Money on top of the Purse winnings for the night.

Now that was how to run a rail-road....Good & Honest Track Management....

good times....

Archived