Practice Day @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 2/23/19

Practice Day @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 2/23/16

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Feb. 23Rd, 2019) - It's time to kick off the 2019 racing season in south Texas.

With some north Texas track kicking off their racing already running big pre-season shows, I-37 Speedway began its year with an open practice. Nearly 50 cars signed in to break in new cars or equipment, knock off the winter rust or just get the their first laps in. About the only class not attending was the full blown Sprint cars, but a few Mini-Sprints made laps.

On hand were several of the track champions, including Rick Green(IMCA Modifieds), Johnny Torres(Sport Modified), who were last years champions. Luckily for Torres he was able to find a small piece of plastic clogging a carburetor jet, early in practice, without it being on a race night.

Practice Pays Nothing.

There were a few close calls and one minor incident resulting in some body damage, plus a few broken parts and thrown belts, but nothing major that stood out to me.

In the IMCA Modifieds Green, Chris Carroll and Mark Carrell (Redmond, Ore.) had their own personal little race going on for a while. And, yes, I said Oregon. Carrell, who visited Texas last year during the IMCA Red River Modified Tour and apparently likes our southern hospitality, returned with plans on running several pre-season shows. I hear Carrell may also be returning for opening night and the dude is fast.

The I-37 Speedway season officially kicks off on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt oval Saturday, March 2nd with the Dirt Kings and Lil' Dirt Kings event for the IMCA Modifieds, Sport Modifieds and Pure Stocks. All three classes will pay $1,000 to win and will be an IMCA points race for the Modifieds. The Go-Karts will also be running on the lil' track.

Track points season begins the two weeks later on Saturday, March 16th for all classes. Another open practice will be held on Friday night, March 15th the night before the opener. The Go-Kart season opens the following month with the first race slated for Saturday, April 13th.5c72e4cbbf28e__SRP8628(1280x848)(2).thumb.jpg.8a2d4d1b5e161c56b6f5ae6f1cf3bf02.jpg

Archived