Daytona 00

toyotatim

Packed stands, packed infield loaded with High End motorhomes and a heck of a race.  Nascar hit it out of the park.  

Was pulling for Dibedaho in the Cup Series and Roper in the pickups.  Two underdogs running up front for a long time.  It didnt work out for them, but it was cool to watch.

What a great show it was

I broke down and watched some highlights of both the Cup race and truck race yesterday.... and I'd say you're right about the motor homes anyway. 

The racing itself reminded me a whole lot of quite a few Thunderhill Raceway / Central Texas Speedway / Houston Motorsports Park races over the years. More torn up cars in the infield than torn up cars taking the checkered. 

Very few cautions in the cup race till the end.  But it was two lane competitive racing the whole race.  It was awesome.  But yes, the torn up cars are what fans love.  The sparks were cool.  Glad everyone walked away.   We love to see the metal crunching.  Oh yea, it was sold out man.  Great Job Fans of Nascar.  Way to support your Sport

Just Think.....How many Million's of Dollars total lost due to extensive damaged race cars between the time of the "Clash" and then " the actual 500".... 

never the less,  the "Scrap Metal Dumpsters"  will be full of scrapped race car parts and in some cases "Scrapped Race Cars" at some of those race shops this week for sure.....

Just Mind Boggling....

That was the last race for these cars anyhow.  But dont worry about money, that race has an economic impact of over $250,000,000 to the Daytona area.  There is no telling what the overall impact is.  The ads on TV, etc, probably as expensive as the Superbowl.  This is a big money sport, Noone likes to lose money, but you go in knowing a car or two is basically going to be worthless after the race and you just hope you are still alive

Daytona 500 and the truck race was everything but dull for the most part. Can't deny the stands were packed. Hopefully they can carry the momentum.Yes all the wrecking sucked but with pack racing if anyone towards the front makes a mistake you are going to lose cars. To me the drive of the day came from Larson. Dude was in at least 6 spins or crashes and still finished high.Gonna be interesting how the horsepower reducing engine package will do from now on.

Before everyone gets giddy about the sellout, its smoke and mirrors. They REMOVED 46,000 seats 3 years ago during the

makeover. Sorry to put a damper on this thread but I had to explain this to some members of my family yesterday who don't follow the news

and had no idea of the seats being removed. This is going on at several other tracks as well, not just Daytona.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2015/03/24/report-removal-of-daytona-backstretch-grandstands-begins/

. SPENT THE DAY WITH JESSE  race was on in the shop  listened more than watching ,watching that long race puts me to sleep .so why not have a lets keep building this new car party .Daytona and building a new car .what else could someone ask for .. and you know what the car came along way while having fun .getting really close .. 

One of the "highlights" from the truck race showed what appeared to me to be a packed grandstand... But on another shot, it was obvious that the seats had been painted to make it look like packed grandstands.  LOL  

I guess when you're desperate for fans you can just paint them in and all's good!

Yep, no sense in building a local circle track with a dying sport, right?

Nascar is made for TV,  although 46,000 seats were removed, the RV parking was enhanced and there were tons more watching from the infield as well as being watched by streaming. 

What I like is how everyone, even the haters, turn out watching the events, just by happening to be where someone else is watching.

I hope the guy from Alamo City knows the haters are in minority.  Local tracks need Nascar, so my suggestion is not to kill the Goose that laid the Golden Egg

So, what came first, the proverbial Goose or the proverbial Golden Egg?  There were popular grass-roots short tracks all over this great land before Bill and friends sat down to figure out how to make that goose lay the "golden egg." And, sadly, once they figured out how to make the goose lay a golden egg, they corporately inadvertently killed the goose we all loved.  

Back in the early days of grass roots stock car racing, most communities had a short track or two within a few miles. Seemed like just about every gas station in America had at least one stock car sitting outside waiting for the station to close so those guys could work on it, sip a brew or two and bench race. Purses were very small. People who watched the races knew half the field personally and the competition was fierce. Tie-down shocks and GPS traction-control systems were the last thing on anyone's mind. It was honest racing. It was fun racing. And we loved it.

As the NASCAR model (big money, big marketing, big egos) slowly took over the sport, most of what we loved about the sport started to slip away. And today, the NA$CAR product has almost nothing to do with honest, grass-roots racing that us old-timers grew up with.

It's obvious that people still want to race cars, but the model is changing away from the NASCAR model. We are seeing that the fastest growing segments of the sport are those venues where competition is the draw, not big money. 

Grass roots dirt track racing is the one we're most familiar with, but even there, money is playing a bigger role than in the past. It seems like the same well-financed teams are dominating and the money is basically going to aftermarket companies and not back into the sport itself. As certain teams dominate, the smaller teams can't compete and the entertainment value drops at the same time. Hopefully, dirt track managers will stop this trend by making rules that prevent teams having to spend big bucks on tie-down shocks and other professionally-built racing equipment.

Grass roots drag racing is on a huge rebound around the country. People want to get their Mustang or BMW out there to see what it'll do. It's a kick and the only real reward is personal satisfaction and perhaps a trophy. That's because the real reason folks want to race isn't for the purse or fame. It's the fun of competing. It's the fun of doing something that's challenging and fun.

And grass roots road course racing is becoming more and more popular. Private road courses are springing up around the country and virtually all of them pay zero purses. In fact, most of them require a substantial membership fee and /or large entry fees to even race there.  At Houston Motorsports Ranch, for example, any given race weekend draws hundreds of cars.  Even grass roots road racing sanctioning bodies are thriving.  Just look at NASA for a good example.

If asphalt short track racing is to thrive once again, the classes will have to reflect exactly what the people are driving on the street. GB Carter is exactly 100% correct. Civics, Eclipses, Focuses, Camrys, Cruzes, Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers become the cars you see racing on Saturday night. Oh, and and perhaps a throwback class like Super Late Models to come in once or twice a year. Promoters will have to limit the amount of money that can be spent (strict rules, claim rules, etc) by any given team and limit purses to the cover the cost of a set of tires for the winner

Of course, track owners have to be willing to absorb major financial losses over an extended period of time it takes to regrow the sport. 

Off my soap box now... 

I stretched out on the couch to watch it about 50 miles into it on Sunday.  I lasted another 50 before eyelids gave out and shut.  Woke up thinking I would get to see the last 100 miles. Then all the wreckin started.  Told myself again for the 1000th time how ridiculous restrictor plate/pack racing is.  Got up and left in my pickup for the mile and half round trip to our mail box to pick Saturday's mail I'd forgot to get Saturday, thinking hopefully the damned thing would be over by the time I got back. 

It wasn't.  It was still race a lap and crash, red or yellow, then race another lap and crash. Then red or yellow.  Finally just turned the damned thing off. 

That is one thing that didn't change. The best way to watch a NASCAR race on TV is to just watch the last stage. I watching the 500 and the truck race and was reminded of one of my favorite Tony Stewart responses. After the big one at Talledega he was asked what he saw. He answered the best drivers in the world had a big wreck and apologized to the fans there were still cars left to race . that all were not wrecked. I sure miss him!

Uncle Nick is Right.....Read into what he is saying !!!!   There was Short Track racing long before there was "NASCAR"

Let's not loose our Focus on Our Local Short Track Racing....

Support your local Race Track....

and then just watch Nascar on TV "Sometimes for the big Dramatic Crash-O-Rama's",  but let's not waist our time on those "Ro-Val Snooze fest" races....

But get out to your local track....be sure to bring the kid-o's,  buy a t-shirt or two, get some pit passes,  buy some race tires or racing fuel, or just pig out on some pop-corn, cotton candy, hot-dogs,  Bud Lights = anything!!!!

But like old times....Racers or Race Fans.....Just get out and do it.....get out to your local race track of your choice and support " Short Track Racing"....

Like Uncle Nick said in a nut-shell,  Short Track Racing needs our Attention Too !!!  Lets all do our very best to Support Our Local Race tracks, Race Promoters, Racers,  & last but not least...The Concession Stands at our local tracks as well...

Thanks....

"

32 minutes ago, metroracer said:

Uncle Nick is Right.....Read into what he is saying !!!!   There was Short Track racing long before there was "NASCAR"

Let's not loose our Focus on Our Local Short Track Racing....

Support your local Race Track....

and then just watch Nascar on TV "Sometimes for the big Dramatic Crash-O-Rama's",  but let's not waist our time on those "Ro-Val Snooze fest" races....

But get out to your local track....be sure to bring the kid-o's,  buy a t-shirt or two, get some pit passes,  buy some race tires or racing fuel, or just pig out on some pop-corn, cotton candy, hot-dogs,  Bud Lights = anything!!!!

But like old times....Racers or Race Fans.....Just get out and do it.....get out to your local race track of your choice and support " Short Track Racing"....

Like Uncle Nick said in a nut-shell,  Short Track Racing needs our Attention Too !!!  Lets all do our very best to Support Our Local Race tracks, Race Promoters, Racers,  & last but not least...The Concession Stands at our local tracks as well...

Thanks....

"

Well put John and Nick.....AMEN

Ya'll know where to find me come March 2nd.....keep an eye out for that black #22

Well said. Look at the quality tracks you have to choose from. Houston has HMP which has come out with a complete schedule this year. Victoria area has Texana Raceway Park where many improvements were made and the promoter has a season under his belt. This season has two Sprint shows and 2 special events and an E-Mod class . San Antonio has I-37 who had one of the largest car counts last year and additional seating this year. Between Houston and Austin is Cotton Bowl Speedway which started things off with the World of Outlaws and has a huge late model event in June.In Corpus Christi we have South Texas Speedway who has a big $2000  to win qualifier event on both March 7 and 8 and $8900 to win main event on March 9 for Sortmods.The supporting Pure Stocks have $500 , $600 and $700 to win. STS also has one of if not  the highest weekly payout for Sportmods $600 to win and $100 to start! So these promoters are going all out and need fan support this season. Neat thing is when your home track is not running that Saturday it is not that far to go to one of the others ones. Gonna be a great season for fans. All you have to do is get there!

Thanks "arob" for pointing out the " still alive Tracks" ….good Job !!!

Here is a short list of the recent Dead Tracks that come to mind that we ALL wish that they still going....

*   Gator Motorplex... (Died)

*   Battleground Speedway.... (Died)

*   Corpus Christi Speedway... Died)

*  San Antonio / aka Hwy-16 Speedway.... (Died)

*  Pan-american Speedway....(Died years back)….

*  Longhorn Speedway.... (Died years back)

*  Meyer Speedway....(Died years back)

*  I-37 Speedway....( issues, came back very strong)

*  STS....(issues,  came back very strong)

*  Red River Speedway....( Died and has come back very recently as Monarch Speedway...)

*  Texana Speedway....( Died and came back)

*  Shady Oaks Speedway..... (Died)

*   CTS / aka Thunder Hill Raceway... (Died)

*  HMP...( had a short lay-off,  but has fought it's way back to full-time starting this year...)

*  Cotton Bowl Speedway....Had some very slight issues, But is coming back stronger this year....

*  Revolution Raceway Park.... Monroe, La. ( issues, closed...)

(   there is most likely some that I have left out.....)

But never the less....This list is all most as long as the current active area track list....

lets keep that in mind....."support your local track that is still going...."

By the Way, those boys spent $400,000,000, yep thats 400 million, removing those seats and upgrading the facility to cater to more upscale corp clients

So catering to the rich is the new NA$CAR?.....Same business model as Indycar.....Seen any "full houses" at an Indycar race, excluding maybe Indy itself?

NA$CAR was founded and built on short tracks and common folks.....NOT the rich-n-famous.

Despite "announcing" it as a sell out either the track/announcers/tv cameras are lying....At I'm certain I know which showed the actual story.

Archived