NASCAR will disqualify winners for failing postrace inspection at track

rebelracewriter

NASCAR will disqualify winners for failing postrace inspection at track

by Dustin Long, Feb 4, 2019

CONCORD, N.C. – In a seismic philosophical change, NASCAR will take wins away for violations and alter its inspection process this season.

“We’re changing the culture,” said Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer, on Monday. “We’ve tried to do one way, and it hasn’t worked.”

Should the winning car fail inspection (for virtually any infraction other than lug nuts), it will have the win taken away – and no longer be listed in the record book as the winner – and lose all benefits from the victory, including points, stage points and money. If the winning car fails and the runner-up clears, the runner-up will be declared the winner.

NASCAR stated that a violation of one unsecured lug nut would not trigger a disqualification but three would. NASCAR stated that any other violation would lead to a disqualification of a winning car.

Throughout much of its history, NASCAR has been hesitant to take wins away from cars that failed inspection after the race either at the track or, more recently, at NASCAR’s R&D Center. NASCAR officials often said the basis for leaving wins intact was that fans who watched or attended the event should know the winner when they left the track or the race broadcast ended.

O’Donnell said he anticipates the winner being declared official about 90 minutes after the race. He said the winner, runner-up and “random” will typically be inspected after the race. The random car often is expected to be the third-place car in case the top two finishers fail inspection.

NASCAR will consider still taking a car to the R&D Center for teardown, but that will be only to examine any trends in the sport.

Previously, NASCAR did some inspection after the race and often took two or more Cup cars back to the NASCAR R&D Center for further inspection.

It was because of such inspections that penalties were issued to Kevin Harvick‘s team after his wins at Las Vegas and after Texas in the playoffs.

After the Las Vegas win, NASCAR determined a violation with the rear window of Harvick’s car.

After the Texas playoff win, NASCAR stated that Harvick’s team did not use the spoiler exactly as supplied from the manufacturer.

Vice president of competition Scott Miller said Harvick would have been stripped of both wins under this policy.

NASCAR President Steve Phelps had hinted at such a change in his news conference with the media the day of the Cup finale in Miami by saying that series officials planned to “look at the inspection process.”

It will be interesting to see how they do this.  With this statement:

"Throughout much of its history, NASCAR has been hesitant to take wins away from cars that failed inspection after the race either at the track or, more recently, at NASCAR’s R&D Center. NASCAR officials often said the basis for leaving wins intact was that fans who watched or attended the event should know the winner when they left the track or the race broadcast ended.

O’Donnell said he anticipates the winner being declared official about 90 minutes after the race."

So are we still going to do Victory Lane stuff then roll out to inspection or go straight to inspection and you have to watch the victory lane celebration later on the NASCAR Post race show.

It will also be interesting to see how some of this is perceived.  We have seen them encumber a finish for something that happened due to a incident on track.  What also amazes me is the Texas race for Harvick that spoiler was on the car when it went through prerace tech inspection wasn't caught was most likely on the car in the inspections before qualifying as well.  Then in post race inspection we see an unapproved spoiler.  Sorry that spoiler wasn't changed on pit road before the race or during the race.  With this change it will keep most everyone on the up and up you would hope but we shall see.

Edited by Josh42

"Throughout much of its history, NASCAR has been hesitant to take wins away from cars that failed inspection after the race either at the track or, more recently, at NASCAR’s R&D Center. NASCAR officials often said the basis for leaving wins intact was that fans who watched or attended the event should know the winner when they left the track or the race broadcast ended.

O’Donnell said he anticipates the winner being declared official about 90 minutes after the race."

Never understood this reasoning.....How many times have we waited to find out who passed tech at SAR, CTS, etc?.....How many times did people leave a short track only to find out later Joe Dokes didn't pass inspection?.....Even I have had to redo a story after finding out hours later the winner didn't the actual win.

It's a step in the right direction, but ONLY if they stick to their proverbial guns....The first time a big name gets the dreaded DQ, I think we'll see more backstroking than at a swim meet.

How can anyone feel good about winning a race knowing they have an illegal car? I would have more satisfaction knowing I won the race legally and possibly beating someone that was cheating.

Illegal?  Pushing the envelope?  Whatever you want to call it, you still feel good because you know everyone else is doing the same thing.  If not,  they are not up front.  It is part of the sport.    It is nice to say things like that to you kids, but it is not reality

5 minutes ago, toyotatim said:

Illegal?  Pushing the envelope?  Whatever you want to call it, you still feel good because you know everyone else is doing the same thing.  If not,  they are not up front.  It is part of the sport.    It is nice to say things like that to you kids, but it is not reality

Reality or not, cheating is cheating no matter what you call it. 

And, no, not everyone else is doing it.  There are honest men and women in the sport, sir, who refuse to cheat even though they know that their competition is cheating. 

Nothing is more rewarding than beating a known cheater with a legal car. And I say that from first hand experience....

1 hour ago, toyotatim said:

OMG, show me a racing who is 100% legal 100% of the time and you will never find him at the pay window.

I know several personally.  And not just because I know them as honest folks, but because I was directly involved with their racing program.  Was every effort made to use the rules to our advantage?  Of course, but that's 100% different than bending or breaking the rules.

I don't blame you for staying incognito, toyotatim, because you're pretty much saying that the team(s) you are familiar with (or perhaps even work with) are cheating.

Nick

Tim your constant drum beat that if you are winning you must be cheating just proves that you and your cars are not legitimate.  Do people cheat? Yes but that doesn't mean the only way to win is cheat.   Tim Homeyer wins all the time with a fully legal race car.  

It is not necessary to win, but most of the time, you have to if you want to beat the ones cheating.  Its part of the game, see what you can get away with.     Has every driver ever stayed under the speed limit 100% of the time?  The answer is no, that does not make them a criminal.   But, it sound impressive to say you never went over the speed limit.  Just Wink a little when you say it,  WINK WINK

Gotta admit that I exceed the speed limit quite a bit, toyotatim.  Even when I'm doing 85 in a 70 mph zone I certainly don't feel like a criminal.  But if and when I get caught, the law sees me as one and I'd better pay the fine or else...   

Having been a tech official for two different tracks and six different racing series, I have to agree with you that some racers feel it's OK to cheat and see what they can get away with. But when they get caught,  a good many of them raise hell with tech, accuse the track of favoritism and start a major "they did me wrong" campaign on social media.

While cheating may be all part of the game to some competitors, to the track or series it's serious business and often ends up with the track suffering financial repercussions when drivers organize boycotts and mount negative campaigns on the internet to protest their innocence.

hey cperry, i was hoping someone would start telling stories.  Like the one that the guy got away with running no restrictor plate at TMS.  He as going to finish 4th so he didnt have to go to the tech pad, but they crashed in front of him so he had a podium finish.   He still got away with it, they had to heat up their plate and hand it to the daughter of the series guy.   LOL   They got away with it, yep no plate, had 200 plus more HP

8 hours ago, toyotatim said:

OMG, show me a racing who is 100% legal 100% of the time and you will never find him at the pay window.

I was 100% legal 100% of the time. I didn't win a lot. Never one a feature but did lead 18 laps of a 20 lap feature one night. Just got a little too high in turn 3 and 4 and lost the lead. I did win some heat races. Although not a feature win it still felt good. I have nothing against pushing the envelope as long as that envelope does not exceed the rules.

Edited by Radical