Longhorn Speedway

theboss

Wow; that’s nothing but good news! I’m currently working with the owners of Alamo City Motorplex to circle build a track there and would like to offer any help I can. I’d suggest making a post on San Antonio Racer’s Reunion on Facebook, it’s a much smaller crowd but does reach a different group of folks. Good Luck! 

Very well done article and historically accurate. Blazingly missing was anything about Alvin Stewart or Ron Chambers (the last two promoters there).

I really liked this paragraph from one of the comments :  Judging by a comment or two it may be hard to understand but this kind of racing represents a life-style to the people involved. At my shop over the years we hired racers and their families, we go out of way to support fellow racers businesses and after 5 years closed when I37 opened back up a few weeks ago it was like a family reunion. I don’t know if it’s the spirit of intense competition circle track racing breeds or simply the kind of people circle track racing draws (or both) but this is something that becomes a part of people and never goes away. Thank you again for taking the time to explore this part of the car community.

Boss, do yourselves a big favor, trust me on this.  Get together with those developing the track in SanAntonio.  Develop common classes of cars,  establish common rules and coordinate race scheduling.  Limit the number of classes of cars. You don't have to run late models to have excellent racing.  Those things are EXPENSIVE to build and run.

A good super stock type class can put on an excellent show for you and the crowd.  Good luck. Hope this works out for you.  Oh, and by the way.  I attended the first race ever run at Longhorn (then called Austin Speed-o-Rama) in 1960 and nearly every other race held there for years thereafter.

The Boss I wish you and the others the best.  The last try to bring longhorn back was the bike builder Jesse James.  His team was the one that took the main grand stands down.  But when they went to the city and TCEQ for permits that is where his dream died.  I Hope yall better luck at bring the track back.  I would give anything to turn laps on the same surface as my grandfathers did. 

Great post Budman, while all of this is happening let's try to support HMP. Full 2019 schedule has been released. If they don't have your class with some constructive discussion they may try to add it.

Would love Speed-O-Rama up and running again for the record. Austin would accept it nicely right now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived