New Englanders ready for chance to win PASS National Championship at Hickory

New Englanders Ready For Chance To Win PASS National Championship At Hickory

CHARLOTTE, NC (October 31) – The longest season in grassroots, short track racing will come to a close on Saturday afternoon, November 10, when the Pro All Stars Series (PASS) National Championship Super Late Models take the green flag at Hickory Motor Speedway.  The 13th Annual Mason-Dixon MegaMeltdown 200 will cap off another exciting season that began in Dillon, SC way back in February.  And, it will all be captured in front of the MAVTV cameras. Last year, race fans across the country were able to see the ultimate North versus South shootout when North Carolina's Brandon Setzer and Maine's Garrett Hall tangled coming to the checkered flag.

This year, all eyes will be focused on the battle for asphalt Super Late Model racing's only national championship.  After wins by Derek Griffith at Dillon and Thompson, CT to start the PASS National Championship season, Connecticut's Ray Christian, III has chipped away at the lead and now trails Griffith by a single point as he heads to Hickory for the first time ever.

"We're going in to Hickory with the same mindset that we have at every other racetrack...learn as much as we can and bring the car home in one piece," says Christian, driver of the Crazy Horse Racing #93.  "This whole national championship run was a completely unexpected scenario for us, considering this is my first year in a Super Late Model.  But, I think we have shown these guys that we can race with them a little bit this year."

Not to be forgotten though will also be Turner, ME's, Ben Rowe.  The 5-Time and defending PASS National Champion sits third in the standings, just 10 points behind Griffith.  And, of Rowe's 10 career wins down south, three have come at Hickory.  Those stats are not lost on Christian.

"I've never been to Hickory, but I've watched races from down there and guys like Ben Rowe have a million laps there," says Christian. "I can't wait to get down there because it looks like a blast and definitely the kind of place I can really get in to.  I just hope that no matter how the national points turn out that, at the end of the day at Hickory, I hope we earn those guys respect."   

And, if the PASS National Championship fight is not enough, fans will be treated to Matt Craig versus Kodie Conner as Craig goes for his third straight PASS South Super Late Model title, plus MASS Street Stocks and Legends. 

Action gets under way on Friday with rotating practice for the PASS Super Late Models, MASS Street Stocks, and Legends from 2-5 PM. On Saturday, pit gates open at 7:30 AM, with practice starting at 9:30 AM, qualifying at 11:45 AM, and main events at 1:30 PM.

PASS Super Late Model entry forms and the complete weekend schedule for the Mason-Dixon MegaMeltdown 200 can be found at ProAllStarsSeries.com.

The Pro All Stars Series is recognized as North America’s premier sanctioning body for asphalt Super Late Models and boasts such marquee events as the legendary Oxford 250 at Oxford Plains Speedway, PASS South’s Easter Bunny 150 at the historic Hickory Motor Speedway, and the PASS Commonwealth Classic at Richmond Raceway.  For technical information concerning all PASS divisions please send questions to passracing@roadrunner.com.  And, don’t forget to “Like” the Pro All Stars Series on Facebook or follow us on Twitter @PASSSLM14 to keep up with breaking news as it happens.

Archived